• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dealbreaker?

• Absolutely. No Steam, no buy

• Nope, idc about launchers I just wanna play

• Nope, I play on console

• Nope, not planning on playing it anyways.

Results are only viewable after voting.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Ubisoft revealed on the official site for the game that Star Wars Outlaws will not be available on Steam/EGS for PC. The official site lists "Ubisoft Connect" as the primary launcher for PC under it's platform availability section:

7e6fcd821be337521cdde76bb729303b.jpg

Source

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, i guess i won't be available at launch to play your game then.

Jetsun Mila

User requested ban
Banned
Apr 7, 2021
Will likely get if when it comes to steam, but I wouldn't mind buying it on their launcher as well

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yeah, that's how they roll these days. Exclusive to their store, or only skipping Steam but available on EGS. A year or so later it's coming to Steam with a discount.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
The game is still a year+ away and both EA and Ubisoft tried this once before and failed. I think it's more likely they just haven't announced a Steam/ESG build yet, will eat up whatever pre-orders they can directly through Ubisoft Connect, and eventually just require the app to run the game (similar to EA with their app) and have the game available everywhere.

TheExtra

May 14, 2020
If I do end up getting this, it'll be on PS5.

So as long as there are no problems there, I'm all good to go.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
As long there isn't some bullshit EGS exclusivity deal I don't really care if publisher keep game on their launcher, or also farms it out to everything with .exe.

Never understood "Not on Steam? Game does not exist" purists.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Not building my gaming PC for some time, so yeah console.

Slightly OT, which engine is this using?

The gameplay demo looked mighty good.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why Ubi thinks it can outplay EA here. I personally don't dislike the Ubisoft launcher so it isn't an issue for me, but this isn't a game I will play anyway.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Steam integration aside, I don't really care, even if you got it on Steam you're then going to have to deal with Ubisoft Connect anyway.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
UBI waiting for a 💰 from Epic? :p

Or they're giga confident that folks will purchase through uplay (I do know that's where good game deals are for ubi games, the discounts on AC Valhalla short after release was significant)

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand Ubisoft. Their games are on Steam, then they're not, then are on it again, then not. Wtf?

I'll just pay for a month of Ubi+ to play it then.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
Ubi games always make you go through Ubi Connect anyway so I don't really care

I'm sure that when it's no longer profitable to maintain the launcher they'll come crawling back to Steam, just like Bethesda did

Wesker

Aug 3, 2020
I want to play it on Steam. Period.
I have a bunch of games in the Ubi Launcher but I don't really use it. It's just cumbersome using so many launchers these days.

If they do not sell it on other PC store fronts the market will take care of it. Maybe. Maybe not. Either way, I am looking forward what Massive brings to the Star Wars Sabacc table to be honest.

Oh yeah, or I'll be doing this. Spending 15 Euros once to play the game for a couple of hours and cancelling the sub is far better than spending 70+ Euros on the game and have it be tied to Ubisofts horrendous launcher.
I might be doing the same with Mirage, if it's not coming to Steam at launch.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Console player here, but from my limited lack of knowledge: doesn't buying ubisoft games on steam still launch their ubisteam or whatever the application is called?

Or is it really more about having a steam collection?

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
This is probably a Q3/Q4 release so I'm pretty sure it's just that they haven't fully worked out the details.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I'm guessing Ubisoft wants to see how many day-1 sales it can get before it makes the games available elsewhere. I don't have an issue with publishers putting their own games on their own platform but I would rather get the game on Steam for the features and Steam Deck compatibility so I'm happy to wait.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I wasn't gonna buy it at launch anyway, so yeah I'll happily wait for a Steam version. Even longer if an eventual Steam release tries to command full price.

If it stays on Ubisoft, maybe I'll pick it up if it ever hits like $5 or something.

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
When I was a PC gamer up until about 2019 or so I never really understood the launcher wars so to speak, I had them all downloaded and just played wherever the Publisher put the game out really. I did prefer Steam to everything else but I didn't mind playing on EGS, EA Play (or whatever it's called now), Uplay (Ubi Connect) etc. So this wouldn't bother me if I was on PC but at the same time I can see how folks heavily into Steam will be disappointed with this news.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
At the end of the day, I always hold the belief that publishers can release where they want. However, I think being a multi platform dev and skipping out on Steam is a bad idea in general, especially for an IP as big as star Wars. So really, they make their own bed I guess.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
At the end of the day, I always hold the belief that publishers can release where they want. However, I think being a multi platform dev and skipping out on Steam is a bad idea in general, especially for an IP as big as star Wars. So really, they make their own bed I guess.

Counter argument with IP like Star Wars is that they don't need Steam to move serious amounts of copies. Hardcore fans will be there day 1, and there is a lots of them for SW.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Counter argument with IP like Star Wars is that they don't need Steam to move serious amounts of copies. Hardcore fans will be there day 1, and there is a lots of them for SW.

Good point, you may be right.

I still like in general skipping out on Steam which is the biggest non-mobile storefront just feels like a mistake, however maybe that is what they are banking on, the IP drawing them in. Kind of like how Epic relies on Fortnite to get people to them.

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
Great. So unplayable for me.

Can't login to Uplay Services since January. No support from Ubi or my provider helped. (oh yeah and Ubi closed their support forum, because why not?).