Dealbreaker?

• Absolutely. No Steam, no buy

• Nope, idc about launchers I just wanna play

• Nope, I play on console

• Nope, not planning on playing it anyways.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Aquova

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Never understood "Not on Steam? Game does not exist" purists.

I know there are some legitimate complaints against EGS, but there's a lot of people who absolutely refuse to acknowledge games exist outside of Steam and it's baffling to me. Sure, the Ubisoft launcher sucks, but even platforms like GoG get completely overlooked.

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
Yup.
I don't have an Excel sheet to keep track of where I bought all my games.
Playing them on the platform for a specific time window is fine because after that its gone.

May be a stupid reason but it's fine for me.

I tend to forget which games I own if they're not on Steam. Should start that Excel sheet I guess, lol.
If you actually want a solution then Playnite works about perfectly.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Don't care, never cared.

not sure if I'll get it at launch tho; Ubisoft games get discounted pretty fast.

The Benz

Oct 27, 2017
User warned: Trolling. Platform wars.
pc gamers when their game isn't filled with an extra layer of drm (doesn't count cause daddy valve makes it):
pouting-face_1f621.gif

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I'm not a launcher fanboy, I'm a Steam achievement fanboy. There is a difference!

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Yeah, I'm expecting some outrage but there's literally zero reason to own Ubisoft games on Steam.
I've bought plenty of games on Ubisofts launcher and this is not true.

Steam Input, Steam Screenshots (love uploading pictures to my feed), patching handled by Steam, backups handled by Steam (steam lets me put games on an external hard drive and not care if it's disconnected. Ubisoft Connect doesn't like it) and Steam Communities (AC Origins had an issue with the Nvidia drivers a month back where going underwater would cause the game to crash. I saw 0 aknowledgement except by users on Steam forums who also suggested which drivers you could roll back to to get it working and also notified people when eventually it was fixed with a later driver) and of couse easy Steam Deck compatibility.

Additionally the shitty Ubisoft Connect launcher wanted me to log in and 2FA everytime it updates when I launch it standalone which doesn't seem to happen when I launch it through a Ubisoft Steam game for some reason.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have any inherent hostility to Ubisoft Connect, but I would prefer the game to be available on multiple storefronts.

I don't tend to buy PC games on launch anyway, so chances are I'll forget about the game until it hits Steam.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunate but completely justified when it's their game on their own launcher, unlike when a deal is taken merely to exclude, usually one particular other launcher (Steam).

I don't make a salty "no Steam, no buy" song and dance about it whenever this happens but I've used Steam exclusively for the past few years because it's pretty much established itself as 'PC gaming' for me.

I would probably do the same on consoles, sticking with whatever the console company itself has established if there was multiple launchers attempting to segregate the games there too - unless one such launcher actually started providing a better experience, which also goes for the state of launchers on PC too.

GamerEDM

May 7, 2020
this was going to be the first Ubisoft game i may have purchased in over a decade , but they went and fucked it up

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I wasn't buying it anyway.
But it isn't the EGS, so I would at least consider diving in early if I was going to.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Makes financial sense. Not sure why anyone would be surprised. Keep that 30% you'd otherwise lose to Steam for as long as sales allow and then put it on there. My guess is six months or so unless they have really good sales numbers on their own platform in which case it could be even longer.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure what you mean here. All of the launchers run in the background while playing a game, unless it's GOG. The launcher acts as DRM. Steam has an offline mode though (not sure about the others).

I play those games through their launchers directly, so I'm not interested it getting any through Steam and have it effectively act as a shortcut to the Origin or Uplay client, especially when Steam integration is pretty poor like Anno 1800 or The Division 2.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
pc gamers when their game isn't filled with an extra layer of drm (doesn't count cause daddy valve makes it):

I'm assuming this is just a weak troll, but I'll reply sincerely on the slim chance you're just misinformed.

Steam isn't DRM. There are many, many completely DRM free games on Steam that once installed will happily run locally and never require you to run the Steam launcher again.

There is the option for developers to use a Steam DRM wrapper, but this is not required for a game to be released or sold on Steam.

One of the many things where I cannot fathom being hard out on a game you're excited for otherwise
They always come off about as pompous as the librarian in star wars lol
"If it's not on steam, the game doesn't exist"
There's no fanboy funnier to me than the launcher fanboy.
there's a lot of people who absolutely refuse to acknowledge games exist outside of Steam and it's baffling to me. Sure, the Ubisoft launcher sucks, but even platforms like GoG get completely overlooked.

It's a matter of trust.

Steam, and Valve, have done a lot over the last 20 years to engender trust. This trust is not blind, it's not dogmatic, and it's not people being "fanboys", it exists because of specific actions and long term behavioural patterns.

Ubisoft does not have that trust. Neither does EA, or Epic, or even Microsoft.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Makes financial sense. Not sure why anyone would be surprised. Keep that 30% you'd otherwise lose to Steam for as long as sales allow and then put it on there. My guess is six months or so unless they have really good sales numbers on their own platform in which case it could be even longer.
Ok, then why are Activision and EA back on Steam?

Almost like taking the 20-30% cut on 180 million MAU users is better than leaving Steam for a 0% cut on their own launchers

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft has been doing a very good job lately of not selling their games lately. They only have themselves to blame when they wonder why their games aren't selling as well as they should

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
I historically haven't cared about launcher exclusive stuff. I buy wherever is cheapest.

That being said. I have ALL my star wars games on steam. So I know that if I buy the Ubiconnect version, I'll just buy the Steam version down the line for my lizard brain.

So unless the game is FANTASTIC I'll just wait so I don't need to buy twice.

Jun 5, 2023
At the end of the day, I always hold the belief that publishers can release where they want. However, I think being a multi platform dev and skipping out on Steam is a bad idea in general, especially for an IP as big as star Wars. So really, they make their own bed I guess.
I think this speaks to a conversation I was having the other day. I don't think these devs always respect PC as a primary market. The biggest audience for this game will be casual Star Wars fans, the vast majority of them will be on console. Now PC is still important, money is money but they are willing to take risks maybe give up some sales to gain more of a share of the profit, cause that's the whole point of running your own storefront right?

Stallion Free

Oct 29, 2017
That's fine. It will 100% show up on Steam down the line and it will be the everything edition for like $20-$30 like they did with AC Valhalla, FC6, etc. and I will buy it then. Maybe they will have figured out Steam achievements by then too?

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
It's a matter of trust.

Steam, and Valve, have done a lot over the last 20 years to engender trust. This trust is not blind, it's not dogmatic, and it's not people being "fanboys", it exists because of specific actions and long term behavioural patterns.

I don't get the "Even Microsoft" here. Microsoft deserves absolutely no damned trust after pulling the rug on developers using GFWL, or their blatant refusal to address and acknowledge issues with their current disaster of a storefront.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
It's a matter of trust.

100% this. There's also a ton of folks that don't feel the need to play a game day one or even year one, so waiting for the convenience of having the game on their preferred launcher isn't a big deal. I'm in that camp. The longer I have to wait the better, because the cheaper it'll be tbh.

There's also a valid opposition to companies that restrict games from certain launchers. It's an anti-consumer move. The more the better.

Last edited:

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I don't really bother buying Ubisoft games on other Launchers because it launches Uplay/Ubisoft Connect anyways and last I recall you couldn't go directly through the Ubisoft launcher it had to be through the original one forcing you to have 2 layers open at the same time.

But yeah this is annoying and normally a deal breaker, but I never buy Ubisoft titles Day 1 anyways as they're always grossly overpriced

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
I don't get the "Even Microsoft" here. Microsoft deserves absolutely no damned trust after pulling the rug on developers using GFWL, or their blatant refusal to address and acknowledge issues with their current disaster of a storefront.

Microsoft had a huuuuuge first-mover advantage on PC, what with being the platform holder and all, and as you point out have repeatedly squandered that opportunity.

Microsoft are the presumptive kings of PC gaming, that they aren't actually in that prime position is due to 30 years of fumbling the bag.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Ubisoft making poor decisions? Must be a day that ends in y.
They would agree with those statements. I'm not sure if you read it correctly.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yup.
I don't have an Excel sheet to keep track of where I bought all my games.
Playing them on the platform for a specific time window is fine because after that its gone.

May be a stupid reason but it's fine for me.

I tend to forget which games I own if they're not on Steam. Should start that Excel sheet I guess, lol.
GOG Galaxy can help if you're looking for something to keep track of everything.

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
Games can still do very well on PC while skipping Steam as Valhalla has proven being their best selling PC game. I reckon Outlaws will do very well too.

Oct 25, 2017
not ideal, but im fine with this. Ubisoft game, ubisoft can put it on their own launcher. This doesnt piss me off like epic just buying launcher exclusivity.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I can't even buy from the Ubisoft store last time I checked lmao

guess I'm outta luck.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
I'll probably wait then like I should have for Assassin's Creed: Valhalla. Two and a half years and for $45 you get every DLC and all the patches. Might seem minor, but it honestly works well just waiting.

Bengraven