• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mango Pilot

Apr 8, 2024
Yep.

I've seen a few people say they have it working with the PS5 on WiFi, but I have no idea how. I have always found remote play on any device to be completely unusable unless the console is on Ethernet.
The picture quality and responsiveness was great but the audio and micro stutters sucked. I was also getting like 3-7mbs which seemed low as I have gigabit internet.

I'll try it with ethernet tonight and then think about getting a long Ethernet cable set up this weekend if it improves.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
I just noticed that my one direction of the D-pad is more audible clicky compared to he other directions. Could that be an issue long-term and should file in a rma or does it still take time to break in?

Is there a way to play different games on steam deck and a pc without having to closing a steam game session of one?

Sometimes I wanna play something on SD and while waiting on my PC for something.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
This is something they should be fixing in an update.
OLED Decks actually have panel mura calibration data stored, it's just not being applied right now.

Have they actually said they would be updating that at some point? It seems unbelievable, yet totally believable. Valve can be really terrible with this type of stuff.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
Have they actually said they would be updating that at some point? It seems unbelievable, yet totally believable. Valve can be really terrible with this type of stuff.
When I mentioned the issue in a Discord, someone posted this:

IMG-1949.png

Unfortunately, I can't verify this, but I do hope that an update is in the works.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
I busted out my deck recently and was playing some DQ on emudeck, and it feels so good to have most of my library in the palm of my hands and not on different systems. The last time I booted up my DS was years ago.

Oct 25, 2017
20240415_163912.jpg

still the most annoying part of steam deck is ironically the precache updates. Like w/e is going on for p3r been updating the entire work day.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Even BG3 only takes like 10 minutes to rip through 150GBs on an SD card.

That's only 13GB. Is it just downloading the update 100s of times in a row or something?

Also, perhaps just don't pay any attention the updates - unless you're on limited data wifi, then you should really turn the shader updates off entirely.

Consequence

Oct 27, 2017
I've been running Helldivers 2 missions on like difficulty 3 or 4 just to grind out some medals and samples and man, I salute people who play higher levels like this. Even with all of the fog and shadows dialed down to the lowest this gets framey, can't imagine fighting the amount of enemies that difficulty 7 or so throws at you.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Hello hello - just wondering if someone (or multiple someones) would like to chime in on additional recommended QoL purchases to go alongside a potential Steam Deck buy?

I'm thinking at this point, bar some sudden announcement of a SD2, that it'll be a 1TB OLED device. So, if anyone has any suggestions about what might be good to buy alongside that; e.g. suggested screen protectors and whatnot, then I'd love to hear it!

If it helps, I'm UK-based so Amazon UK links or recommended sites would be greatly appreciated!

Tension Mask

Oct 28, 2017
After lurking this thread for months, I can't resist anymore and will place my order for a SDOled tonight. Any tips for must-have accessories to buy, software to install and similar stuff?

Must-have depends on the user, but the most essential accessories to me are a dock (not necessarily the official one) and a power bank

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
When using the OLED Steam Deck Fallout 4 runs weird unless you edit an .ini file. It runs at half refresh but with poor frame timing because of the 90hz screen.

I can't remember the exact file but a Google search should show results.

Thank you so much! I found the reddit post that explained it, and the fix for it:

I didn't know it was limited to the Deck OLED, which is why I couldn't find the solution, but that would explain why I needed it to run at 90 for it to feel somewhat smooth. I'll try the fix as soon as I get home.
I just wanted to confirm that the fix works. FO4 runs much better now.

Thanks again!

Grenlento

Dec 6, 2023
After lurking this thread for months, I can't resist anymore and will place my order for a SDOled tonight. Any tips for must-have accessories to buy, software to install and similar stuff?
If not getting a docking station, then maybe a bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo?

I swear that's what's been putting me off from setting up emulators on mine yet, lol.

Ingueferroque

Dec 26, 2023
New York, NY
20240415_163912.jpg

still the most annoying part of steam deck is ironically the precache updates. Like w/e is going on for p3r been updating the entire work day.

I said it before in this thread, but I recommend turning that functionality off. See how that works for you.

Yeah, I completely agree. Steam Deck is really great in a lot of ways, and probably the closest thing you can get to a "Console" style experience with PC gaming, I feel. But there are definitely a lot of things that can be improved. Shader pre-caching should be an option you can toggle in Game Mode, and really nothing related to the Deck's basic functions should require going into Desktop.

Also, while playing Docked, I didn't have any issues with audio, but I did with video quality. It looked absolutely horrific out of the box, with dull colors and crushed blacks. It turns out that the Deck basically just can't tell your display that it's displaying Full RGB, so if you have RGB settings set to Auto (which is what virtually all TV's will default to), you'll have to go into your TV settings to change it. Many TV's don't label these settings as RGB either (on my old set, it was Standard and Nonstandard). I had to go Googling because I'd never run into anything like this before. Even a basic $300 laptop I bought from Wal-Mart awhile back didn't have this issue. Steam Deck is really a fantastic platform overall, but there are definitely a few bizarre oversights and issues.

Had a good time playing Docked for a few days, but today out of the blue it decides to stop outputting audio/video over HDMI. It was an easy fix (unplug the Dock from the power adapter so it resets), but leave it to me to try every other possible solution before I do that.

In Discord people tell me these are issues related to the HDMI standard, but I've never had any issues like this with other devices.. and I still have my PSTV plugged in!

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
Had a good time playing Docked for a few days, but today out of the blue it decides to stop outputting audio/video over HDMI. It was an easy fix (unplug the Dock from the power adapter so it resets), but leave it to me to try every other possible solution before I do that.

In Discord people tell me these are issues related to the HDMI standard, but I've never had any issues like this with other devices.. and I still have my PSTV plugged in!
I've been using my Deck less as a portable device these days and had similar issues leaving it plugged in and docked. The workaround of having to unplug the Deck from the USB hub was pretty annoying, so I also went searching online for a better solution.

The fix that's worked for me was disabling "Quick Boot" in the Steam Deck BIOS menu (i.e., set it from the default of "Enabled" to "Disabled").

Since making that change I've yet to encounter those audio/video output issues from a cold boot or system restart. It also works when waking the Deck up from sleep mode, but as I tend to turn off the Deck after using it, I haven't tested this as much.

Wesker

Aug 3, 2020
finally bought a Dock now that i have a decent monitor

1440p , 120 hz with a bunch of VRR options

what are some good docked experiences for the Deck?

I played a couple of hours of Ni-No Kuni docked. 1440p/60FPS, and it looked pretty great on a 4K TV.

Arkham Origins was another one I played docked. As well as some Indie titles like Röki and Arise.

Older games tend to pretty much work flawlessly. Especially when you're only playing at 1440p.

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022

The issues are related to the official dock firmware being a steaming pile. I recommend finding a good unofficial one at this point. Valve has had years to update it to something reliable and they don't.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017

Kitaj

Oct 30, 2017
One last doubt before proceeding with the purchase: is 512 gb enough or do I need 1tb? Decisions, decisions...

If it helps I bought the 512 gb one and bought a card for 512 and it has been great. I install most games directly on the card and everything has been super smooth. I also think it should be straightforward to update the internal ssd if needed, later down the line, no?

Oct 28, 2017
I know this is a dumb question and I'm being needlessly paranoid, but I've heard that as a general rule of thumb, it's best to keep around 10% free space on your SSD for performance concerns. I have a 512gb OLED Deck and have around 46.4gb free. Will this be enough or should I make some more free space just to be safe?

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
I know this is a dumb question and I'm being needlessly paranoid, but I've heard that as a general rule of thumb, it's best to keep around 10% free space on your SSD for performance concerns. I have a 512gb OLED Deck and have around 46.4gb free. Will this be enough or should I make some more free space just to be safe?

20% actually. There will be some small performance detriment when you go below that though you probably won't notice until you go below 10%.

Octopop

Oct 27, 2017
I'm jumped and preferred a Deck Oled! Super excited to try this out, had a Lenovo Go for a few weeks at launch but returned it and put it towards PC upgrades. In recent weeks I've had the itch for a handheld again having been travelling for work in a monthly basis and needing something to keep me occupied away from home.

Quick question - how well does Heroic Games Launcher work? I have a few games on GOG, such as Cyberpunk that I'd like to try on the Deck. Ideally I'd rebuy it on Steam but even at discounted rates it's still much more expensive than other storefronts.

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I've asked before but misplaced the instructions someone had written. Is there a simple script/installer for Greenlight and Chiaki that I can just click and have it do all the dirty work with minimal input from this idiot (me!)?

Wesker

Aug 3, 2020

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
I'm jumped and preferred a Deck Oled! Super excited to try this out, had a Lenovo Go for a few weeks at launch but returned it and put it towards PC upgrades. In recent weeks I've had the itch for a handheld again having been travelling for work in a monthly basis and needing something to keep me occupied away from home.

Quick question - how well does Heroic Games Launcher work? I have a few games on GOG, such as Cyberpunk that I'd like to try on the Deck. Ideally I'd rebuy it on Steam but even at discounted rates it's still much more expensive than other storefronts.

I absolutely hate it (Heroic). Sometimes it works. Sometimes a game won't launch. Sometime a game HAS launched, but in the background. You would only know this by pressing the steam button and do an application switch. ProtonDB is completely useless for games from Epic - you cannot count on something that works on the Deck via Steam also working in Epic.

It has loads of settings which of course is a good thing, but a lot of them are incomprehensible and assumes you know what they do. The latest version of it for some reason is completely broken for me. It's been a while since I logged in, so Epic want my credentials again. But something is wrong with the resolution so I can't move the mouse cursor to the login button.

Others no doubt have had a fine experience. I haven't. As a consequence I never ever buy anything on Epic. It's not reliable for me when it comes to Steamdeck.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
As always: I prefer this one, as it does not add additional bloat to the system afaik

github.com

GitHub - moraroy/NonSteamLaunchers-On-Steam-Deck: Installs the latest GE-Proton and Installs Non Steam Launchers under 1 Proton prefix folder and adds them to your steam library. Installs... Battle.net, Epic Games, Ubisoft, GOG, EA App, Amazon Games,

Installs the latest GE-Proton and Installs Non Steam Launchers under 1 Proton prefix folder and adds them to your steam library. Installs... Battle.net, Epic Games, Ubisoft, GOG, EA App, Amazon Gam...

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
I finally bit the bullet and ordered the L4/L5 R4/R5 back button pads/extenders. I feel like they're just a tad awkward to use, and I hope these make a big enough difference to get them much better.

I know a while back when people where recommending them they said they do make those buttons a ton easier to interact with.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I finally bit the bullet and ordered the L4/L5 R4/R5 back button pads/extenders. I feel like they're just a tad awkward to use, and I hope these make a big enough difference to get them much better.

I know a while back when people where recommending them they said they do make those buttons a ton easier to interact with.

Honestly, it was the main reason I swapped out my backplate on my Deck. I was looking at extenders, then realized most of the backplates come with alt back buttons that you can swap in and replace the stock buttons.