• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TurboHoodie

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have any tips on how to install streaming apps on the Deck? I've seen a few apps that help install stuff like Disney+, but those methods don't seem to work for me. There's always a hangup or app update that renders the method unuseable.

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
I haven't, but I did see a review on Steam from someone who said it performed pretty well on OLED.

They didn't go into any details besides saying "30 fps give or take".

30 FPS with dips. First time I've heard my OLED sound like a jet engine. This was post the intro sequence so it was just purely topdown gameplay. Game coudln't run at native res and only has a handful of options. I turned off motion blur and adjusted the resolution scaling a bit to get the game to feel better.

I did play the intro sequence on my deck via GeForceNOW at max settings. It ran at 60FPS and was damn fine to play albeit no HDR.

It is in a bad spot on Deck. No idea why they're trying to advertise it on social media as if it's a remotely good experience.

Thanks all! I'll support them in EA for now, but hold off bothering to play on deck whilst they work on it and update it.
I'm hopeful that optimization can get this to 60 in the future.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Played some Umurangi Generation. It's cool. Runs well even at 1080p, probably because the internal resolution is really low. Love the environments.

But also has a distracting bug on Proton, with your character's passive animation cycle stutter-resetting every five seconds instead of looping properly. If I didn't get it for next to nothing in the current sale I might've refunded. Hopefully I just stop noticing. (doubt)

Last edited:

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have any tips on how to install streaming apps on the Deck? I've seen a few apps that help install stuff like Disney+, but those methods don't seem to work for me. There's always a hangup or app update that renders the method unuseable.
Have you tried the Nonsteamlaunchers script? That worked for me without issues. Emudeck is also generally good for this. If not you can always just open them in the browser.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
After finishing Lies of P I got an itch for more soulsborne so I picked up Sekiro on sale right now in steam. Playing on the deck I feel the gameplay would be an improvement over Lies but the visuals would be a downgrade. Really wish the fromsoft games had better HDR.
I think the HDR in Elden Ring is fantastic, it's not overly bright but pushes highlights when need be and has a richer vibrant colour. Sekiro is a little muted by comparison.

El meso

Oct 27, 2017
It was a hodge podge'd process trying different guides for me. The main thing was
following this guide using steamdeck desktop. I did the vanilla mod and went to the viva extended to get the auto save and dlc delay mods.

https://vivanewvegas.moddinglinked.com/

things i installed to complete process.
- FO:NV on steam

these items from the discover page
- winetricks: needed for BSA decompressor
- protontricks: used to first get mod organizer 2 going on proton8 then once everything finished switching back to proton experimental.
- flatseal: needed for BSA decompressor

- this build of mod organizer 2 https://github.com/rockerbacon/modorganizer2-linux-installer : has installation wizard for games including FO:NV

Note: getting this going couldnt get nxm links working so i manually added each mod item.
note 2: any exe needed to run was used with winetricks and choosing the FONV id.
Note 3: I hit a problem with BSA Decompressor giving an error about space requirements but this comment by "acidxchrist" helped me resolve it. I made sure to remove the new paths created by the process by repeating the steps and deleting the new paths created
www.nexusmods.com

FNV BSA Decompressor

Decompresses the Fallout New Vegas BSAs and repacks them without zlib compression for performance, additionally transcodes the .ogg sounds effects to .wav so they work. It also extracts any mp3 files

Thanks for the detailed explanation :)
Will try that today!

Bluforce

Oct 27, 2017
I had to wait 15 days to have my Steam Deck back from RMA.
My Steam Deck would crash and reboot with almost every videogame, completely random. Sometimes in less than 5 seconds, sometimes after 15 or 20 minutes of playing.

Steam's technical assistants guided me through a series of steps to try to solve the problem, but they did not work.

Now I have a "new" Steam Deck, it's a refreshed model.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Loaded up Mass Effect Legendary Edition and it kept crashing. Had to use a different proton, but now its not in HDR. Damn EA Play app!

Gumshoe

Oct 31, 2017
It was a hodge podge'd process trying different guides for me. The main thing was
following this guide using steamdeck desktop. I did the vanilla mod and went to the viva extended to get the auto save and dlc delay mods.

https://vivanewvegas.moddinglinked.com/

things i installed to complete process.
- FO:NV on steam

these items from the discover page
- winetricks: needed for BSA decompressor
- protontricks: used to first get mod organizer 2 going on proton8 then once everything finished switching back to proton experimental.
- flatseal: needed for BSA decompressor

- this build of mod organizer 2 https://github.com/rockerbacon/modorganizer2-linux-installer : has installation wizard for games including FO:NV

Note: getting this going couldnt get nxm links working so i manually added each mod item.
note 2: any exe needed to run was used with winetricks and choosing the FONV id.
Note 3: I hit a problem with BSA Decompressor giving an error about space requirements but this comment by "acidxchrist" helped me resolve it. I made sure to remove the new paths created by the process by repeating the steps and deleting the new paths created
www.nexusmods.com

FNV BSA Decompressor

Decompresses the Fallout New Vegas BSAs and repacks them without zlib compression for performance, additionally transcodes the .ogg sounds effects to .wav so they work. It also extracts any mp3 files
Thanks for sharing your process!

Nov 9, 2017
Question: Does the Steam Deck really need a case? I don't mean a carrying case - like a protective outer shell kinda thing. And if so - recommendations? I can't make heads or tails of it.

Steam Deck OLED 1Tb if it matters for sizing etc.

Thanks!

ezidro3

May 31, 2021
Steam support finally replied after almost 4 days. They're gonna cross-ship a replacement while I send mine back, while clarifying it's going to their main office this time instead of the repair centre lmfao

Wesker

Aug 3, 2020
Question: Does the Steam Deck really need a case? I don't mean a carrying case - like a protective outer shell kinda thing. And if so - recommendations? I can't make heads or tails of it.

Thanks!

I personally don't use any. But my Steam Deck is docked next to the TV when not in use anyway, so you're mileage may vary.
I am not a fan of protective cases for handheld consoles at all though.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

Thanks!
I use one for the integrated stand. Don't think it needs one to protect it, as it's safe inside it's carry case

Mamoniadas

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't tried it myself but this is supposed to be a solid instructional video if that's more your speed. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aCpkD1PVfYE
Yea that is one of the videos I saw while trying to follow the Vnv guide. However if you intend to follow the vnv guide, you'll still run into problems that he doesn't cover in his video. In fact i think he chose to "manually download the mod to be ahead of the curve" in order to skip the process of associating the process downloads with mod organizer 2.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
So I notice that for most games when playing with Steam decks screen resolution (1280x800) instead of showing more space on top and bottom than you would see in 16:9 ratio it instead zooms in and you see less space on left and right. Is this normal? Or is there an issue with my settings?

I've been playing most games at 16:9 ratio because of it

russbus64

May 1, 2018
Just finished Tomb Raider Legend and Underworld. Unsure why I forgot Legend ended on a cliffhanger. Overall I think I enjoyed Legend more, despite the linearity compared to its sequel. Underworld went for a more realistic look and tone, and with it I had difficulty seeing some of the spots I was supposed to climb. There were even times the intended solution didn't feel that polished. Worse, I got softlocked because Lara wouldn't put the key on for the switch at the end of the Mexico level, so I had to use a backup save someone had online as it's a known issue.

On to the Xbox for the DLC and then back to Anniversary. I should've played this before Underworld, but I don't think it was too essential to the plot.

I'm pretty sure Excalibur and Mjolnir share some animations.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Well I ordered a refurbed 256GB deck finally. I'm skeptical that I'll end up using it, but it'll be fun to give it a shot.

hitmon

Oct 26, 2017
Does anybody have a recent (noob-friendly) guide on installing Two Wastelands running on the Steam Deck?

Ingueferroque

Dec 26, 2023
New York, NY
I begrudgingly installed Decky, but now my SD plays Vita music/SFX in menu's and when I go into a game page in my library it plays background music from that game - and i'm in love. I want some of these features to be officially supported.

So I notice that for most games when playing with Steam decks screen resolution (1280x800) instead of showing more space on top and bottom than you would see in 16:9 ratio it instead zooms in and you see less space on left and right. Is this normal? Or is there an issue with my settings?

In the Performance menu, is your Scaling Mode/Filter setting set to Auto/Linear?

Last edited:

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
is there any sort of task manager when in Deck UI? Earlier I had some youtube video playing and and I couldn't figure out how to close out of it, somehow navigated to it in the store. It was playing even when I went to other parts of the UI, such as my library

Condwiramurs

Nov 10, 2020

thats normal and how 16:10 scales in most games unfortunately
i only ever saw the image show more than in 16:9 with mods for some games

ezidro3

May 31, 2021
I begrudgingly installed Decky, but now my SD plays Vita music/SFX in menu's and when I go into a game page in my library it plays background music from that game - and i'm in love. I want some of these features to be officially supported.
Which plugin is this? And what gives the Vita music and the game dependant music?

Ingueferroque

Dec 26, 2023
New York, NY
Why begrudgingly? Decky rocks

Well, it's a bit janky sometimes.. I concede though, it's good.

Which plugin is this? And what gives the Vita music and the game dependant music?

I use 'Game Theme Music' for game library music. It seems to work for every random game I tried.. even uninstalled games - so I have no idea how it works, or if it even works in offline mode at all. Have to test it. Let me know what you think.

And 'Audio Loader' adds menu sounds with the 'PsVita SFX' and 'PSVita Menu' packs.

It adds so much atmosphere, I like these features on PlayStation!

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Okay…. Managed to figure it out how to install and use Roms and BIOS on EmuDeck. But one question, a few of the Roms that I'm has a ton of tracks inside the PSX games. Do I need all of them? Or only the main one?

They are replicating multiple launcher in the front for the same game.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019

In the Performance menu, is your Scaling Mode/Filter setting set to Auto/Linear?

Yea, what is it supposed to be set at?

Edit: mode is set to auto, filter is FSR

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico

Pez

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a way for multi dick games to cleanly combine into one icon? Thinking of the multi disc Final Fantasy games on ps1.

NySpeed

Sep 13, 2020
Just finished Tomb Raider Legend and Underworld. Unsure why I forgot Legend ended on a cliffhanger. Overall I think I enjoyed Legend more, despite the linearity compared to its sequel. Underworld went for a more realistic look and tone, and with it I had difficulty seeing some of the spots I was supposed to climb. There were even times the intended solution didn't feel that polished. Worse, I got softlocked because Lara wouldn't put the key on for the switch at the end of the Mexico level, so I had to use a backup save someone had online as it's a known issue.

On to the Xbox for the DLC and then back to Anniversary. I should've played this before Underworld, but I don't think it was too essential to the plot.

I'm pretty sure Excalibur and Mjolnir share some animations.

I been replaying Legend on my deck, I had audio crackling during the second level (flashback sequence). Is it that one level or is the whole game have audio issues?