• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And hidden text tags are never necessary for spoilers. Please use [ spoiler ] instead. Otherwise, you're screwing over the lurkers (and there are a LOT of lurkers), not to mention that quoting to read some text is annoying.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I found Millie Bobby Brown fairly insufferable in the roundtable discussions. Maybe it's just because she's so drastically different from her character (props for her acting ability), but I found her shouty and entitled. I haven't seen any other interviews with her but I didn't warm to her on my first impressions.

Stark contrast to Sadie Sink who was just lovely.

What the actual hell? She seemed like....a 13 year old girl. No entitlement to be found.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah she acted pretty much exactly how a little girl with too much power who thinks she knows better would act. She apologized and made up with Hopper and that's all that matters.
Just for clarity, they are talking about the actor when she is doing a roundtable discussion. Not how El acted over the course of the season.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I found Millie Bobby Brown fairly insufferable in the roundtable discussions. Maybe it's just because she's so drastically different from her character (props for her acting ability), but I found her shouty and entitled. I haven't seen any other interviews with her but I didn't warm to her on my first impressions.

Stark contrast to Sadie Sink who was just lovely.

This is totally nuts. Millie was perfectly lovely, just a happy kid havin fun talkin about the show. Sadie Sink if anything seemed weirdly shy and demure.

Both of them very different from their characters, which is always kinda fun to see.

I actually take this back a bit as I watched a bunch of stuff on YouTube last night. She's just a very confident 13 year old I guess and quite witty too.

Right, yes.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I actually take this back a bit as I watched a bunch of stuff on YouTube last night. She's just a very confident 13 year old I guess and quite witty too.

Yeah I just think she's well spoken (and outspoken) beyond her years....which I suppose could be mistaken for being entitled.

But I don't get that from her at all. I think you have the right word though in confident. She's definitely very confident. Which to me is awesome to see in such a young kid.

She's quite obviously going to have a very successful career post Stranger Things.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Hearing Eleven's actress is well-spoken is good to know. Her dull performance in season 2 made me want to say she is the worst of the child actor's on the show (tough competition, I'll say), but perhaps it's just the direction for the character.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Hearing Eleven's actress is well-spoken is good to know. Her dull performance in season 2 made me want to say she is the worst of the child actor's on the show (tough competition, I'll say), but perhaps it's just the direction for the character.

I didn't think her performance was dull.

I thought she transitioned well from the naive fish out of water girl in S1 to someone who's learning a bit about how the world works and dealing with the rising anger of what was done to her at Hawkins, angry at Hopper losing her mom etc.

Her little stint to the dark side with 8 seemed a little forced but I thought it was good character development(angry teenage issues etc)

Doby

Oct 25, 2017
This is totally nuts. Millie was perfectly lovely, just a happy kid havin fun talkin about the show. Sadie Sink if anything seemed weirdly shy and demure.

It just reminded me of social situations I've often had where you have that one person that talks way too loudly when you're standing 2 feet away from them because they want to be heard or whatever. Sadie is how I expect a young actor just starting out to be I guess, I wouldn't say she's weirdly shy, it's perfectly normal.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Dull performance...lmao. Are you serious? Like, I'm sorry but you're just flat out wrong on that. She was incredible. You'd be hard pressed to find a child actor who is as good as she is at portraying emotions.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
What the hell? She's clearly the best actor of the children. The emotion she exhibits is fucking incredible.

She's got a bright future if she's already this good.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Season 2 just now, here's some thoughts. I enjoyed Season 1 but didn't think it was great as the hype made it out to be, but I also watched it pre-hype when it first came out. Overly I enjoyed it more than the first season, felt it was better paced and had a better narrative, writing and music. Still has it problems. But Steve, Bob and Dustin carried this season for me. Here's some spoiler thoughts.

Goddamn Steve, Dustin and Bob are the GOATs of Stranger Things, with Hopper just behind. Steve's character is so much better this season and his relationship with Dustin is the most entertaining thing of the entire show's run. Bob was great and his death was handled awfully - it was heavily telegraphed, they tried to fake-out and then it was a needlessly gratuitous death scene. His death served to other purpose than to be 'shocking', this current trope of 'shocking' deaths has gotten old and serves no narrative purpose and the show lost one of its best characters.

Mike and El took a MASSIVE step back this season, both their performances and the writing given to them was pretty bad and honestly I have no interest in either character or their arcs. Episode 8 was so bad and random in particular. Similarly Jonathan and Nancy lost a lot of my interest.

Max and Billy... Max's inclusion was good, but Billy seemed a forced 'human villain' inclusion and then the teasing of their 'mystery' was groan-worthy.

Winona Ryder is putting in work, another season another good performance from her. Also Will's life is pure suffering - this is comic-Daredevil-level of miserable life, feel for his mom and Winona really nails that constantly on the edge of a total mental breakdown performance.

Soundtrack is incredible, give me all the synth. In fact just have too spin-off shows, one of Steve adopting Dustin and teaching him life, and the other Bob as a mary poppins character fixing families and bringing stability to everyone.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I just think she's well spoken (and outspoken) beyond her years....which I suppose could be mistaken for being entitled.

But I don't get that from her at all. I think you have the right word though in confident. She's definitely very confident. Which to me is awesome to see in such a young kid.

She's quite obviously going to have a very successful career post Stranger Things.
I remember watching her interview with Colbert. Most impressive banter from a 13-year-old I'd ever seen.

Also, is this a nose job or just makeup

59fb486f75d74221008b45d6-1136-852.jpg

I don't care to discuss her looks, but it would be very sad to me if such a young girl got a nose job.

Doby

Oct 25, 2017
Also, is this a nose job or just makeup

I don't care to discuss her looks, but it would be very sad to me if such a young girl got a nose job.

I see no difference, certainly not a nose job. Different lighting and her nostrils are slightly flared in the left pic. I don't recognise her in that right pic though, when I initially saw the side by side I thought it was a look-a-like post.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I remember watching her interview with Colbert. Most impressive banter from a 13-year-old I'd ever seen. Also, is this a nose job or just makeup. I don't care to discuss her looks, but it would be very sad to me if such a young girl got a nose job.
It's makeup, her whole face is made up. Her nose make-up is called contouring.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't think her performance was dull.

I thought she transitioned well from the naive fish out of water girl in S1 to someone who's learning a bit about how the world works and dealing with the rising anger of what was done to her at Hawkins, angry at Hopper losing her mom etc.

Her little stint to the dark side with 8 seemed a little forced but I thought it was good character development(angry teenage issues etc)

Dull performance...lmao. Are you serious? Like, I'm sorry but you're just flat out wrong on that. She was incredible. You'd be hard pressed to find a child actor who is as good as she is at portraying emotions.

What the hell? She's clearly the best actor of the children. The emotion she exhibits is fucking incredible.

She's got a bright future if she's already this good.

Woah, sure a lot of flack I'm getting for my opinion on that. Like I said, it could be the direction for the character, but I thought Eleven was flat and dull in season 2. She goes through a lot of different emotions, but her display of those always are the same. She feels static and non-evolving, even if her character did undergo a narrative development. Her stoic behavior is part of what made her a compelling character in season 1, but it only makes me yawn now. Keep in mind I am one of those that think Eleven's arc should have ended with season 1, and that her presence in the second only worked as its demerit. It's fine if you disagree with me on that too.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Woah, sure a lot of flack I'm getting for my opinion on that. Like I said, it could be the direction for the character, but I thought Eleven was flat and dull in season 2. She goes through a lot of different emotions, but her display of those always are the same. She feels static and non-evolving, even if her character did undergo a narrative development. Her stoic behavior is part of what made her a compelling character in season 1, but it only makes me yawn now. Keep in mind I am one of those that think Eleven's arc should have ended with season 1, and that her presence in the second only worked as its demerit. It's fine if you disagree with me on that too.
You said her performance was dull. There's a big difference between dull writing and a dull performance. The scenes she was given she knocked out of the park so I think it's extremely difficult to argue that any significant fault lies with her.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think you have more issues with the writing of her character than her performance. I am personally not a fan of it since I just wish she could talk like a normal human being. However, due to her backstory, it only makes sense that she acts the way she does. Tis a shame really.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I am LTTP for Season 1, binged it last week. Started Season 2 this week.
I finished Episode 4 of Season 2.

I found an Atari plot hole due to watching both seasons back to back. Kids are hinted of getting an Atari for Christmas in Season 1.
But then in Season 2, Mike's moms is telling Mike to fill up two boxes of toys (give away or yard sale) and is mentioned that she made him forfeit his Atari.
What parent would buy an Atari on Christmas 1983 then tell their kid to forfeit it by Halloween 1984? hmmmm
Plus in the time line, game industry underwent their great console crash in 1983.
So is the purchasing of an Atari 2600 the error? or is the forfeit of the Atari in 1984 the correct one?
IMO, by 1984. The Atari 2600 console was on life support during the console game industry's worst year.

I also found a High Score error in the Mad Max episode. The Dig Dug arcade game only allows players to enter 3 characters maximum for the Highscore; the MADMAX displayed a 6 characters highscore. hmmmmm

as a child of the 80s myself, I am very critical of inaccuracies and errors from that decade. Especially video-games.

The present may have been an Atari 5200. That would be the system that would have been more current. And could be getting rid of an older 2600 in the new season.

Or the 5200. That thing was kinda junk, with those controllers.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
You said her performance was dull. There's a big difference between dull writing and a dull performance. The scenes she was given she knocked out of the park so I think it's extremely difficult to argue that any significant fault lies with her.

I think you have more issues with the writing of her character than her performance. I am personally not a fan of it since I just wish she could talk like a normal human being. However, due to her backstory, it only makes sense that she acts the way she does. Tis a shame really.

Like I said, I wasn't sure whether the actress or the writing/direction was to blame for her worn-out performance. I was relieved to hear the actress is very well-spoken unlike the character she portrays, since that means the writing can be altered and hopefully will to accommodate the changes in the show's dynamic.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Like I said, I wasn't sure whether the actress or the writing/direction was to blame for her worn-out performance. I was relieved to hear the actress is very well-spoken unlike the character she portrays, since that means the writing can be altered and hopefully will to accommodate the changes in the show's dynamic.
I still don't understand how you think she had a "worn-out performance". What does that even mean? Yeah, she doesn't speak very often, but so much of what she's thinking is shown via her emotional response. And I can think of several scenes that impressed the hell out of me, off the top of my head.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand how you think she had a "worn-out performance". What does that even mean? Yeah, she doesn't speak very often, but so much of what she's thinking is shown via her emotional response. And I can think of several scenes that impressed the hell out of me, off the top of my head.

I mean it's uninteresting to watch, because I've seen her be like this for a whole season, and now a second on top. Think Johnny Depp, who's a great actor, no doubt, but has been casted to play the same crazed lunatic for about a thousand movies in a row now. It was charming at first, but won't get anyone excited anymore.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I mean it's uninteresting to watch, because I've seen her be like this for a whole season, and now a second on top. Think Johnny Depp, who's a great actor, no doubt, but has been casted to play the same crazed lunatic for about a thousand movies in a row now. It was charming at first, but won't get anyone excited anymore.
Considering you're literally the only person here arguing this (with other users actually arguing the contrary), I'm gunna go with yeah.. no.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Considering you're literally the only person here arguing this (with other users actually arguing the contrary), I'm gunna go with yeah.. no.
I mean I agree with him. It was kind of frustrating to watch her this season. I still enjoyed the episode that is just about her, but I don't really enjoy her character.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017

It's called an opinion, and that's okay! Numbers won't change that. If we're talking emotional range, I think Will is by far the standout character of the season, which was a great surprise given his miniscule role in season 1.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I mean I agree with him. It was kind of frustrating to watch her this season. I still enjoyed the episode that is just about her, but I don't really enjoy her character.
Right but that's a writing decision. It has nothing to do with her performance.

It's called an opinion, and that's okay! Numbers won't change that. If we're talking emotional range, I think Will is by far the standout character of the season, which was a great surprise given his miniscule role in season 1.

I think you're.. missing my point. You just said that her character "won't get anyone excited anymore" when most people seem to enjoy her presence and performance. You seemed to be speaking for everyone.

I'm not saying you can't hold that opinion.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Last edited:

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, gonna have to disagree strongly with anyone who thinks Millie Bobby Brown's acting is poor.

In a show absolutely filled from top to bottom with wonderful, wonderful child actors (seriously, they are all great), she is obviously the most talented of the bunch.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah, gonna have to disagree strongly with anyone who thinks Millie Bobby Brown's acting is poor.

In a show absolutely filled from top to bottom with wonderful, wonderful child actors (seriously, they are all great), she is obviously the most talented of the bunch.
And it's not even close.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is it fair to judge the other child actor's talent when she is being given the more emotional arcs though?

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, people really think Millie Bobby Brown was better than Noah Schnapp this season? Maybe I landed in the upside-down.

I think you're.. missing my point. You just said that her character "won't get anyone excited anymore" when most people seem to enjoy her presence and performance. You seemed to be speaking for everyone.

I'm not saying you can't hold that opinion.

Nah, I just used hyperbole to drive home my point. Even Depp gets some people excited. And El is not quite as stale just yet.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Is it fair to judge the other child actor's talent when she is being given the more emotional arcs though?
This is actually what I was going to add to my post.

She's being given a lot more to work with. But she was cast specifically because she can handle that content.

I'd like to see what the other kids can do in other things, in terms of emotional/acting range. Not saying they're not good actors, they clearly are.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think we should just be happy that literally all the kids are played by great actors. MBB obviously, Finn anchored the first season, Noah was a revelation this season, and Caleb and Gaten have been a rock solid comedic backbone since day one.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
been slowly catching up to this, dat
Aliens
homage tho.

Some would say rip off, I prefer homage given the creators and time period and whatnot :(

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the only thing that bummed me out character wise in S2 was Mike (or emo Mike as the cast calls him). He spent most of the season being sad and angry and mopey. Which, while completely authentic to how a person would feel in his situation, doesn't make for the most compelling arc.

Now with Elle back I'm sure he'll have a lot more to do again next season.

Doby

Oct 25, 2017

I never had a wow moment with her, not like I did with say Saoirse Ronan in Atonement. Of course the most challenging acting is the stuff with little to no dialogue, and she does really well considering. Personally I think Noah is better, but then he had way more dialogue to tap into emotions.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I thought MBB was brilliant in S2.

I mean she's playing someone who grew up as a guinea pig in a lab most of her life. She's had a crash course in how the world works and she's still figuring out.

She's had people lie to her both to use her and protect her.

Hopper kept her cooped up to protect her while at the same time denying her any chance at reconnecting with her only friends, family etc.

Her little reckless trip was nearly perfectly scripted as she goes to try and find herself and learns what's most important in life in the end.

Not sure if it's intentional but MBB somehow manages to come off as an awkward person trying to act normal and not quite pulling it off. Which works perfectly given that she's not a typical person.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
just binged Season 2 after binging Season 1 last week

what a stressful show LOL. I like S2, but i found Season 1 to be more complete.

Dustin real sure has the knack of almost fucking everything up.

What happened to the dead demidog inside Joyce's fridge?

Vorheez

Oct 27, 2017
Wow! I just finished season 2. That was amazing.

I started watching the show after the second season came out, and what I find most impressive is how they were able to meet (to me anyways) expectations that everyone had for season 2. I thought it was just as good as the first season, even better in some respects.

I only had one problem throughout the entire season... how did Will know morse code?