• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What system are you primarily playing Street Fighter 6 on?

• PlayStation 5

Votes: 278 41.1%
  • PlayStation 4

Votes: 10 1.5%
  • Xbox Series X

Votes: 83 12.3%
  • Xbox Series S

Votes: 16 2.4%
  • PC / Steam

Votes: 290 42.8%

• Total voters

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How long would it take to max out the Battle Pass in the subway? I've heard that's an efficient way to farm points, and I've been slacking between FF14 and Destiny 2 recently.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
God I hope Bison Stays dead

Fuck that guy
Ok I was overreacting to getting knowledge checked by Hell Warp (V Trigger 2).

Decided to stop bieng a Salty Scrub and labbed it and turns out super punishable right after he teleports.

I was assuming 2 wrong things about the move.

1. I thought the hitbox was almost instant when he appears behind you. (In actuality it's super slow startup)

2. I figured the move would be Negative on Block so I was trying to punish after a rare successful block.( It's plus 1 😂)

I was literally doing the exact opposite of what I should have been doing.

Let this be a cautionary tell friends. Study your knowledge checks.

Last edited:

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Seeing so many 5-0s in the Era Kumite makes me want to revisit the idea of league separated ranbat even more. Tournaments are dope, but it's an event to give people a chance to play their best and not one that necessarily encourages growth (although you can absolutely grow form playing in tournaments). The appeal for me doing a league separated ranbat is getting people of similar strengths to regularly play and compete against each other while also helping pull each other up and get stronger.

Problem is ranbats are higher commitment for both the the people participating and the ones running it lol. A dedicated discord would be helpful, but I kind of hate how much fgc stuff is locked behind different discords. I would like to keep things on the forum as much as possible, so even people not participating in the ranbat or people from other groups can help each other out. Maybe this is just my "old man yelling at a cloud" moment lol

I'm envisioning 4 - 6 players per group playing against everyone once a week every week for 4 -6 weeks. Would 6 FT5s a week be too much to commit to for the average working adult? Maybe just FT2 or 3s would be better. The players with the most points at the end of the 4 -6 week period would be the winners of their group. Maybe they then can participate in a mini tournament featuring all the winners as a chance to show off? Could also be the top 2 of each group.

I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions. I'm just rambling at this point lol

Oh and I think I'll do another Era Kumite next month. I think I like it as a monthly sort of deal.
I don't know what logistical advice I would add all I will say is that I Would love to participate in whatever you cook up.

Week to week league stuff is always great.

I appreciate all your great work Sloth

Neilunik

Jan 23, 2018
Seeing so many 5-0s in the Era Kumite makes me want to revisit the idea of league separated ranbat even more. Tournaments are dope, but it's an event to give people a chance to play their best and not one that necessarily encourages growth (although you can absolutely grow form playing in tournaments). The appeal for me doing a league separated ranbat is getting people of similar strengths to regularly play and compete against each other while also helping pull each other up and get stronger.

Problem is ranbats are higher commitment for both the the people participating and the ones running it lol. A dedicated discord would be helpful, but I kind of hate how much fgc stuff is locked behind different discords. I would like to keep things on the forum as much as possible, so even people not participating in the ranbat or people from other groups can help each other out. Maybe this is just my "old man yelling at a cloud" moment lol

I'm envisioning 4 - 6 players per group playing against everyone once a week every week for 4 -6 weeks. Would 6 FT5s a week be too much to commit to for the average working adult? Maybe just FT2 or 3s would be better. The players with the most points at the end of the 4 -6 week period would be the winners of their group. Maybe they then can participate in a mini tournament featuring all the winners as a chance to show off? Could also be the top 2 of each group.

Oh and I think I'll do another Era Kumite next month. I think I like it as a monthly sort of deal.
I'm so in for a Ranbat. I need that in my life.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
How long would it take to max out the Battle Pass in the subway? I've heard that's an efficient way to farm points, and I've been slacking between FF14 and Destiny 2 recently.
Super easy. The last BP I forgot about and had to get over 10 levels within 2 hours of it ending. Farming subway got me there pretty quick

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017

I didn't have any 5-0s, but I managed to only play against masters and I was playing my diamond Ed lol. I was thinking ft5 was going to be too much, but it actually went pretty smoothly with our small player pool.

You could try some kind of seeding based on people's highest rank maybe?

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

That'd be nice, especially as EVO prep.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Personally I'm not looking for such an extended tournament at all; I'd rather have a night of fun per month and be done with it. But that's just me. No reason not to try it if people are interested and you have the time to organize it.

Anyway, in an effort to shake off the rust I picked up my stick again and what do you know, I'm having an easier time doing drive rush from neutral and quarter circle motions on stick than I do on pad currently. I bought that pad exactly because I was struggling on stick last year. Funny how that goes.

Malajax

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks to the tournament, I got a quick session in on ranked and in the battle hub.

There really should be a notification when someone queues behind you while on the cabinet. Something simple like "____ called next!". That way I won't be so infuriated when they interrupt a long set. Just when it's getting good...

First time fighting against Ed's and that's a tricky match up for Manon... Though that's most of her match ups in the game sadly.

El Sloth

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know what logistical advice I would add all I will say is that I Would love to participate in whatever you cook up.

Week to week league stuff is always great.

I appreciate all your great work Sloth
I'm so in for a Ranbat. I need that in my life.
I didn't have any 5-0s, but I managed to only play against masters and I was playing my diamond Ed lol. I was thinking ft5 was going to be too much, but it actually went pretty smoothly with our small player pool.

You could try some kind of seeding based on people's highest rank maybe?
That'd be nice, especially as EVO prep.
Keeping all these thoughts and suggestions in mind for whatever I end up doing going forward. Thanks for sharing, y'all! It's legitimately helpful for me to know what the people most likely to participate are feeling so I can adjust accordingly. And thanks again for the kind words.

I had completely forgotten about Evo being so soon relatively. That is something I should def keep in mind. Some kind of seeding might be nice, but at that point maybe it'd be better to use start.gg rather than Era's built-in tool. I'd have to think about that one some more hmm.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
C0msHM.gif

Xingularity

Aug 31, 2020
lets be real, Ed's playstyle does not represent full on boxing in the slightest - that's geared more toward Balrog & Dudley, so it's very likely another boxer can show up at some point. Just because there's one existing boxer on the roster doesn't mean there can't be another

We'd definitely get another boxer and ninja in the roster.

However, for the two fighting styles, I feel Dudley and Ibuki respectively are likelier than Balrog, Guy and Zeku

Balrog idk he has a shot but somehow I feel he'd be taking a backseat in this game. For ninjas, Zeku is plausible but Guy may not show up unless they do something wilder with him since Kimberly's basically a spiced up Guy already in terms of gameplay

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017

I think tournaments are good but yeah, there are some killers here on ERA. lol. I haven't looked to see how the tournament shook out, but I know FluxWave in particular is very legit and I would imagine he wasn't alone. Also, I think many here who did and did not participate in the tournament were in a similar boat as me in having not touched the game much for some extended amount of time.

Still, I kind of regret not participating even if there was something of a competitive gulf between many of the players. If I wasn't stressing over an imminent work project, I think I would've signed up as I kept checking to see where the number of entrants was pretty much up to the start time of the tournament and kept having to talk myself out of not signing up. lol. That said, while playing against players better than you can be a great way to learn, it can be hard to take much from getting worked by someone so doing something in addition to tournaments would be great. I look forward to whatever comes of this and thank you for your hard work on this.

Unrelated, I know there's some overlap here between people who play this and Tekken 8, but I wanted to get some folks here thoughts on the negativity around Tekken 8. Specifically, its cosmetics offering. I wanted to get thoughts here on it because I feel like as far as that stuff goes, while Tekkens approach is heavily flawed Tekken is also handling them notably better than either SF6 or MK1 are. And yet I feel like Tekken's getting roasted for that stuff far more than either of those games. Particularly it feels like this is lingering more than it did with those games.
MK1 with its cosmetics and Fatality DLC probably garnered more ire but I feel like that stuff was the culmination of people being just generally frustrated with that game so that kind of got lumped in with that. Then with SF6 there's the fact that the content of their battle pass equivalent is... basically worthless. Not to mention that the costumes are, what like $2 more than Tekken costumes? And while all three games commit the worst sin of not allowing you to spend exact amounts on stuff the minimum amount you can buy of Tekken's currency is at least enough to buy one costume. While there are some general frustrations with T8 among its fanbase, the situation with the game beyond its microtransactions is generally pretty good.

I guess my questions are:

Do you agree that Tekken is getting roasted more over this stuff than SF6 and MK1?

If so, why do you think that is?

If you don't agree, why?

To me, it just feels like Tekken is getting more heat for this stuff. Again, I'm not even saying whatever heat any of these companies are getting for this stuff isn't at least semi-justified, but I've found the reaction to Tekken in particular a little surprising is all as its felt a bit more outsized with it to me.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
From what Im reading, I feel like people would not complain as much about tekken 8 dlc if they didnt have issues with the game itself. I think some people are so down on the gameplay and that even the smallest issues with the game become more annoying to them. Its funny because it kind of remind of SFV first few years in a way.

I def hope Tekken 8 has a great showcase at Evo Japan. I think once the tournament season starts people are gonna be more positive toward the game.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Unrelated, I know there's some overlap here between people who play this and Tekken 8, but I wanted to get some folks here thoughts on the negativity around Tekken 8. Specifically, its cosmetics offering. I wanted to get thoughts here on it because I feel like as far as that stuff goes, while Tekkens approach is heavily flawed Tekken is also handling them notably better than either SF6 or MK1 are. And yet I feel like Tekken's getting roasted for that stuff far more than either of those games. Particularly it feels like this is lingering more than it did with those games.
MK1 with its cosmetics and Fatality DLC probably garnered more ire but I feel like that stuff was the culmination of people being just generally frustrated with that game so that kind of got lumped in with that. Then with SF6 there's the fact that the content of their battle pass equivalent is... basically worthless. Not to mention that the costumes are, what like $2 more than Tekken costumes? And while all three games commit the worst sin of not allowing you to spend exact amounts on stuff the minimum amount you can buy of Tekken's currency is at least enough to buy one costume. While there are some general frustrations with T8 among its fanbase, the situation with the game beyond its microtransactions is generally pretty good.

Do you agree that Tekken is getting roasted more over this stuff than SF6 and MK1?

If you don't agree, why?

To me, it just feels like Tekken is getting more heat for this stuff. Again, I'm not even saying whatever heat any of these companies are getting for this stuff isn't at least semi-justified, but I've found the reaction to Tekken in particular a little surprising is all as its felt a bit more outsized with it to me.
Tekken is getting roasted more because of a combo of expectations multiplied by general sentiment, simply put. Tekken has for the longest time been the series as far as traditional fighting game customization goes, having more than one costume per character since the first game, and for a good while the expectation was that each game would offer more customization not less - more costumes and personal customizations. So T8 comes along and while it has more customization *systems* it has less customization options than the more recent titles which at a glance is like oh well them's the breaks but then after the game releases they reveal a shop to sell older costumes (which look really cheap and bad but I digress) and a battle pass that gives... customization options from old games. All of that baggage coupled with the honeymoon period being over and people starting to be aggressively divisive with the current state of the game means the discourse gets really really really loud. This is similar to what happened with MK1 but when MK1 started getting controversy people hadn't soured on the game as badly as they have now so it didn't blow up as hard.

Only reason SF6 got off scot free is because the game is still very well recieved despite balance concerns and to Capcom's "credit" if we can call it that, all the MTX bullshit 6 has was in the game day 1 so it's not like they caught people off guard.

May 26, 2023
God you're an idiot
I think tournaments are good but yeah, there are some killers here on ERA. lol. I haven't looked to see how the tournament shook out, but I know FluxWave in particular is very legit and I would imagine he wasn't alone. Also, I think many here who did and did not participate in the tournament were in a similar boat as me in having not touched the game much for some extended amount of time.

Still, I kind of regret not participating even if there was something of a competitive gulf between many of the players. If I wasn't stressing over an imminent work project, I think I would've signed up as I kept checking to see where the number of entrants was pretty much up to the start time of the tournament and kept having to talk myself out of not signing up. lol. That said, while playing against players better than you can be a great way to learn, it can be hard to take much from getting worked by someone so doing something in addition to tournaments would be great. I look forward to whatever comes of this and thank you for your hard work on this.

Mango is an absolute monster, as well. It was actually really cool to play some new people instead of randos.

If you don't agree, why?

A lot of people feel they pulled a bait and switch with Tekken 8, not revealing the true level of monetization the game would have on release. I also feel like it's a natural blowback after fanboys were fully vested in shitting on "the other game" and then had their own personal favorite pull the exact same stuff.

The negativity towards the playing seems more foundational: They rolled out early and quick changes and actually make things worse, specifically Azucenas absolutely ridiculous move they "nerfed" and ended up just making it even more broken and the ground-breaks that turned into RNG. It gives an air of them not even testing it, or not knowing what they're doing, and even if that's false (as it likely is) the only thing that actually matters is what the playerbase perceives, and if they don't trust the team to make good changes then they won't continue playing. The plugging, cheating, and seemingly nothing being done about it is probably the most visible problem, and the fact they don't even have a SF6 level punishment can definitely feel frustrating.

Tekkens the new kid on the block and, despite my paragraph up there, there's a lot to love in it. MK1 by comparison has some actual fundamental issues where people just seem to not care anymore, and SF6 has been drug over the coals for things but the output quality of the Fighting Ground stuff makes a compelling case for itself. Tekken 8 is a game people do like and want to love, but has serious issues, which is why people are a bit more emotional over it.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Street Fighter V is so fucking good 😊. Just made it to Silver. (Lowkey carried by people not fighting Laura well.)

Been playing so many fighting games this week and Nothing matches same the Speed and Flow Of Street Fighter.

The perfect not to slow not to fast pace of neutral and Oki situations in addition to great Combo system (especially in 6 ) . They go on for the perfect amount of time were there satisfying to do but your not comboing or getting comboed for 30 seconds. (Looking at you tag games)

Other games have there own great aspects but Modern Street Fighter is Goldilocks perfection

Last edited:
May 26, 2023
God you're an idiot
Street Fighter just feels satisfying to play, more than any other fighter I've played. I was thinking about it while doing some Tekken stuff a few days ago and I just don't get the same satisfaction from playing other fighting games. Maybe it's the way normals cancel into specials? Or how you can have back-and-forth zero damage exchanges with opponents in an attempt to mindgame your way into damage?

I dunno. I like the fact that there's limited things you can do and it forces you to be creative with what you got and how you condition.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
I played 8 different new fighting games this week in a plethora of genres from 2d to 3d to tag games.

It makes absolutely no sense when I see someone complaining that Street Fighter 6 is rock ,paper, scissors or a guessing game.

Bro that's literally every fighting game that's ever existed. The entire genre is built on a series of Guesses.

If you're not in love with guessing that's fine but singling out any particular game is Strange when literally every single Fighting Game you are constantly Guessing / making reads / conditioning every single interaction

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Tekken is getting roasted more because of a combo of expectations multiplied by general sentiment, simply put. Tekken has for the longest time been the series as far as traditional fighting game customization goes, having more than one costume per character since the first game, and for a good while the expectation was that each game would offer more customization not less - more costumes and personal customizations. So T8 comes along and while it has more customization *systems* it has less customization options than the more recent titles which at a glance is like oh well them's the breaks but then after the game releases they reveal a shop to sell older costumes (which look really cheap and bad but I digress) and a battle pass that gives... customization options from old games. All of that baggage coupled with the honeymoon period being over and people starting to be aggressively divisive with the current state of the game means the discourse gets really really really loud. This is similar to what happened with MK1 but when MK1 started getting controversy people hadn't soured on the game as badly as they have now so it didn't blow up as hard.

Only reason SF6 got off scot free is because the game is still very well recieved despite balance concerns and to Capcom's "credit" if we can call it that, all the MTX bullshit 6 has was in the game day 1 so it's not like they caught people off guard.
So, yeah, you're not wrong. And I'm not necessarily directing this tangent at you but more generally. There's a degree of low effort to some of the cosmetic items in the T8 BP as they're basically all T7 stuff. Like I said, I'm not surprised they're getting criticized for that stuff, but the degree of which people are upset about that is just a little wild to me I guess? You're right that there's an existing expectation there and while the customization in the base game falls a little short of T7, T7 also fell short of what T6 & Tag 2 offered and outside of a tiny bit of stuff that (I think?) got included with one of the season passes they never did any customization DLC for T7.

Not to mention that yes, base T8 falls short of base T7's customizations, but other than that, T8 is a much more complete and better package than base T7. It's also a much better balanced game than base T7 which is saying something considering T7 had close to two years of an arcade version before launching on console. T7 didn't start to become a good game that was almost as complete a package as current T8 until season 3. Even then, I'd far rather play current T8 than current T7. People just seem weirdly more focused on the cosmetics stuff than they ever used to be, even though in the case of Tekken the custom cosmetics stuff is only a little bit worse than it was in T7 and the regular costume situation is actually better in T8 than in T7 in that you're getting the number of costumes you'd expect in the base game and now the option for more via DLC (which T7 never got post release costumes at all).

On top of that, while the custom cosmetics situation is a little worse than T7, it's still far more than what any of Tekken's contemporaries offer. The only other fighting games that offered that kind of stuff to the same level as Tekken were SoulCalibur (dead series that did custom cosmetics DLC dating back to SC4) and Virtua Fighter (a long dormant series which has also sold custom cosmetics as DLC). I bet if VF returns with VF6 it will not include ALL of the custom cosmetics from VF4 or VF5.

Mango is an absolute monster, as well. It was actually really cool to play some new people instead of randos.

A lot of people feel they pulled a bait and switch with Tekken 8, not revealing the true level of monetization the game would have on release. I also feel like it's a natural blowback after fanboys were fully vested in shitting on "the other game" and then had their own personal favorite pull the exact same stuff.

The negativity towards the playing seems more foundational: They rolled out early and quick changes and actually make things worse, specifically Azucenas absolutely ridiculous move they "nerfed" and ended up just making it even more broken and the ground-breaks that turned into RNG. It gives an air of them not even testing it, or not knowing what they're doing, and even if that's false (as it likely is) the only thing that actually matters is what the playerbase perceives, and if they don't trust the team to make good changes then they won't continue playing. The plugging, cheating, and seemingly nothing being done about it is probably the most visible problem, and the fact they don't even have a SF6 level punishment can definitely feel frustrating.

Tekkens the new kid on the block and, despite my paragraph up there, there's a lot to love in it. MK1 by comparison has some actual fundamental issues where people just seem to not care anymore, and SF6 has been drug over the coals for things but the output quality of the Fighting Ground stuff makes a compelling case for itself. Tekken 8 is a game people do like and want to love, but has serious issues, which is why people are a bit more emotional over it.
See some of my response above but yeah, bait and switch was kind of a thing (I just operated under the assumption that a store was coming because why wouldn't there be? It's 2024). With MK1 the DLC stuff did feel like a final nail in that game's coffin somewhat which maybe is why the reaction to that stuff didn't linger that long. Also, they did roll back some of the changes, fix that tornado wall splat bug and added recovery frames to coffee girls move if it misses, so it's more punishable now.

That said, some of what their updates have demonstrated to me is that as frustrated as SF fans are with SF6s lack of updates, there's something to be said for letting a game rock for a bit before hitting it with balance updates. Maybe a year is too much. But what about 6 months?

May 26, 2023
God you're an idiot
See some of my response above but yeah, bait and switch was kind of a thing (I just operated under the assumption that a store was coming because why wouldn't there be? It's 2024). With MK1 the DLC stuff did feel like a final nail in that game's coffin somewhat which maybe is why the reaction to that stuff didn't linger that long. Also, they did roll back some of the changes, fix that tornado wall splat bug and added recovery frames to coffee girls move if it misses, so it's more punishable now.

That said, some of what their updates have demonstrated to me is that as frustrated as SF fans are with SF6s lack of updates, there's something to be said for letting a game rock for a bit before hitting it with balance updates. Maybe a year is too much. But what about 6 months?

A light touch for glaring issues 6 months in and a bigger patch every feels right. The meta has evolved and changed so much with SF6 since its release, it kind of highlights that player skill and culture can effect how a game is played just as much as recovery frames or tech.

I still think there's a lack of Fighting Ground content, and I'm chomping at the bit for Akuma and the new balance pass, but I'd rather have that than regret at a shitty patch that got booted out the door.

ShinUltima

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Trinidad, West Indies
I played 8 different new fighting games this week in a plethora of genres from 2d to 3d to tag games.

It makes absolutely no sense when I see someone complaining that Street Fighter 6 is rock ,paper, scissors or a guessing game.

Bro that's literally every fighting game that's ever existed. The entire genre is built on a series of Guesses.

If you're not in love with guessing that's fine but singling out any particular game is Strange when literally every single Fighting Game you are constantly Guessing / making reads / conditioning every single interaction

I'll chime in here. Keep in mind that I'm heavily biased towards SF as it's the series I'm most familiar with, though I'm also familiar with Marvel, Guilty Gear (pre-Xrd) and Samurai Shodown, which are my favourite fighting game series.

While it's true that fighters have always been "a series of guesses", the weight of guessing is not always equal. In the better games, certain options are better/more likely to be used than others in a given situation, meaning that defending against them is also more likely, so knowing when to go with a less likely option to throw off your opponent was a skill you could build up over time, even if ultimately you were just making your opponent guess the entire time.

I'll list an example of an scenario that has only really been prevalent in SF since SFIV: Throwing an opponent as they stand up.

In every single Capcom fighter before SFIV, characters getting up off the ground had some measure of throw invincibility. How much depended on the game (SF2 was a whopping 14 frames, CvS2 was 6 frames, Third Strike had 3 frames, etc), but the fact remained that once you were getting up from a knockdown, you couldn't literally be thrown before you cold press a button. So you would almost never see someone attempt to throw you as you were getting up, it simply wasn't a viable option most of the time, even in games where you can command normal throws (SFA3/3S). You would have to sneak in a meaty attack first, then throw (this is where tick throws came from). You could block the meaty, but then you'd be fully at risk of getting thrown. But you could reverse the meaty (from HF onwards; reversals didn't exist in World Warrior/Champion Edition). But your opponent could block your reversal and then punish you hard. But if you blocked someone standing up they could throw you instead (which also worked if you tried to throw someone who was getting up - they would be throw invincible and would toss you back).

So there's a whole set of cascading decisions based on this one situation, but they're aren't pure guesses because not all options are equally viable.

Compare that situation to how it is in SF4/5/6, though - you have NO throw invincibility on wake up, so now the option to defend against a throw is 100% a guess. SF4 had Crouch Tech at least, but SF5/SF6 you have nothing. It's guess right or get thrown. And guessing wrong on a throw usually leads to far more severe punishment than the throw, so the safest option is to take the throw. This is why throw loops exist in SF5 (before they nerfed them) and SF6. This is why you saw a player of DAIGO's calibre eating something like 6 or 7 throws in a row like he's a fighting game noob. Far from a noob, he's taking the least risky action at every interaction, with the result being the nonsense on display.

You have no defense against this - it literally is rock/paper/scissors. No weighted results in this kind of stupidity.

(Yes, you can tech the throw on wake up, but the throw tech window is so short that you can't react to a throw to tech it - you essentially have to input the throw as a read/guess; and if you guess wrong, you get blown up)

In this regard, I consider SFV to be a much bigger offender than SF6. Sf6 has some of the same nonsense (throw loops are back), and even has some new ones with Drive Rush, but overall, I find SF6 to be far less volatile than SF5 ever was. At least SF6 doesn't have a stupid normal priority system + plus frame heavy normals that are crush counters.

Oh! Another thing: In older games, depending on who you played and the matchup, you could basically play without much guessing at all. Strong zoning characters, for example, who put their opponent in a bad situation and could chip away at them from a safe distance - no guessing involved on their part. I played M.Bison in HF whose goal, when possible, was to keep at a particular distance and wear down my opponent with Scissors Kicks. I would fake out the Scissors at some points to get them to commit to an unsafe reversal, which lead to a combo or a thow, then back to chipping away, but otherwise it was mostly safe chipping away as the core gameplan. Sometimes I would use light Psycho Crusher at a distance, again, to chip away safely. No guessing there. And then there's busted crap like Strider/War Machine, Strider/Gold War Machine, or Double War Machine in Marvel vs. Capcom with Team Cheating i.e. build gauge to level 3, use Variable Crossover, do 50% block damage, repeat. Absolutely no guessing involved in that gameplan.

tl;dr: Fighting games are a series of guesses, but some have more actual guessing than others.

Last edited:

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
I'll chime in here. Keep in mind that I'm heavily biased towards SF as it's the series I'm most familiar with, though I'm also familiar with Marvel, Guilty Gear (pre-Xrd) and Samurai Shodown, which are my favourite fighting game series.

While it's true that fighters have always been "a series of guesses", the weight of guessing is not always equal. In the better games, certain options are better/more likely to be used than others in a given situation, meaning that defending against them is also more likely, so knowing when to go with a less likely option to throw off your opponent was a skill you could build up over time, even if ultimately you were just making your opponent guess the entire time.

I'll list an example of an scenario that has only really been prevalent in SF since SFIV: Throwing an opponent as they stand up.

In every single Capcom fighter before SFIV, characters getting up off the ground had some measure of throw invincibility. How much depended on the game (SF2 was a whopping 14 frames, CvS2 was 6 frames, Third Strike had 3 frames, etc), but the fact remained that once you were getting up from a knockdown, you couldn't literally be thrown before you cold press a button. So you would almost never see someone attempt to throw you as you were getting up, it simply wasn't a viable option most of the time, even in games where you can command normal throws (SFA3/3S). You would have to sneak in a meaty attack first, then throw (this is where tick throws came from). You could block the meaty, but then you'd be fully at risk of getting thrown. But you could reverse the meaty (from HF onwards; reversals didn't exist in World Warrior/Champion Edition). But your opponent could block your reversal and then punish you hard. But if you blocked someone standing up they could throw you instead (which also worked if you tried to throw someone who was getting up - they would be throw invincible and would toss you back).

So there's a whole set of cascading decisions based on this one situation, but they're aren't pure guesses because not all options are equally viable.

Compare that situation to how it is in SF4/5/6, though - you have NO throw invincibility on wake up, so now the option to defend against a throw is 100% a guess. SF4 had Crouch Tech at least, but SF5/SF6 you have nothing. It's guess right or get thrown. And guessing wrong on a throw usually leads to far more severe punishment than the throw, so the safest option is to take the throw. This is why throw loops exist in SF5 (before they nerfed them) and SF6. This is why you saw a player of DAIGO's calibre eating something like 6 or 7 throws in a row like he's a fighting game noob. Far from a noob, he's taking the least risky action at every interaction, with the result being the nonsense on display.

You have no defense against this - it literally is rock/paper/scissors. No weighted results in this kind of stupidity.

(Yes, you can tech the throw on wake up, but the throw tech window is so short that you can't react to a throw to tech it - you essentially have to input the throw as a read/guess; and if you guess wrong, you get blown up)

In this regard, I consider SFV to be a much bigger offender than SF6. Sf6 has some of the same nonsense (throw loops are back), and even has some new ones with Drive Rush, but overall, I find SF6 to be far less volatile than SF5 ever was. At least SF6 doesn't have a stupid normal priority system + plus frame heavy normals that are crush counters.

Oh! Another thing: In older games, depending on who you played and the matchup, you could basically play without much guessing at all. Strong zoning characters, for example, who put their opponent in a bad situation and could chip away at them from a safe distance - no guessing involved on their part. I played M.Bison in HF whose goal, when possible, was to keep at a particular distance and wear down my opponent with Scissors Kicks. I would fake out the Scissors at some points to get them to commit to an unsafe reversal, which lead to a combo or a thow, then back to chipping away, but otherwise it was mostly safe chipping away as the core gameplan. Sometimes I would use light Psycho Crusher at a distance, again, to chip away safely. No guessing there. And then there's busted crap like Strider/War Machine, Strider/Gold War Machine, or Double War Machine in Marvel vs. Capcom with Team Cheating i.e. build gauge to level 3, use Variable Crossover, do 50% block damage, repeat. Absolutely no guessing involved in that gameplan.

tl;dr: Fighting games are a series of guesses, but some have more actual guessing than others.

crouch tech was busted, but you can delay tech in 5/6 and force your opponent to start using shimmies which you can then beat with a wakeup jab/low.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020

Firstly thanks for the detailed response. I appreciate you taking the time.

I guess I don't fundamentally see throw loops as any worse the other forms of Vortex pressure which Is something present to some degree in most fighting games.

Even in games with throw invincibility you can can just delay your options or tick throw like you said and your basically in the same situation as the throw loops it just happened a bit slower. (Which if you prefer the mix to come slower for personal tastes that's fair enough )

Delay Tech and Invincible reversals are also Options that can cover multiple situations making throwloops weighted situations with options

I understand it could be a Skill issue on my part But moment to moment I feel a similar amount of in control vs eating a Mixup in Other games both new and old as I do in SF6.

Yes there's game design deviation that pulls one way or another but not to a major degree.

P.S. a gameplan bieng so overturned that guessing isn't necessary sounds more miserable than occasionally eating an extra throw.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
That said, some of what their updates have demonstrated to me is that as frustrated as SF fans are with SF6s lack of updates, there's something to be said for letting a game rock for a bit before hitting it with balance updates
Lots of people forget but They did make 2 big changes to drive rushes.

1. You can't buffer jab into drive rush anymore as it takes 3 bars even on whiff.

2. Adding the option to drive rush cancel with Parry button press was extremely significant for most players. I and I'm sure many others could not double tap forward to drive rush cancel in a combo consistently.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
So, yeah, you're not wrong. And I'm not necessarily directing this tangent at you but more generally. There's a degree of low effort to some of the cosmetic items in the T8 BP as they're basically all T7 stuff. Like I said, I'm not surprised they're getting criticized for that stuff, but the degree of which people are upset about that is just a little wild to me I guess? You're right that there's an existing expectation there and while the customization in the base game falls a little short of T7, T7 also fell short of what T6 & Tag 2 offered and outside of a tiny bit of stuff that (I think?) got included with one of the season passes they never did any customization DLC for T7.

Not to mention that yes, base T8 falls short of base T7's customizations, but other than that, T8 is a much more complete and better package than base T7. It's also a much better balanced game than base T7 which is saying something considering T7 had close to two years of an arcade version before launching on console. T7 didn't start to become a good game that was almost as complete a package as current T8 until season 3. Even then, I'd far rather play current T8 than current T7. People just seem weirdly more focused on the cosmetics stuff than they ever used to be, even though in the case of Tekken the custom cosmetics stuff is only a little bit worse than it was in T7 and the regular costume situation is actually better in T8 than in T7 in that you're getting the number of costumes you'd expect in the base game and now the option for more via DLC (which T7 never got post release costumes at all).

On top of that, while the custom cosmetics situation is a little worse than T7, it's still far more than what any of Tekken's contemporaries offer. The only other fighting games that offered that kind of stuff to the same level as Tekken were SoulCalibur (dead series that did custom cosmetics DLC dating back to SC4) and Virtua Fighter (a long dormant series which has also sold custom cosmetics as DLC). I bet if VF returns with VF6 it will not include ALL of the custom cosmetics from VF4 or VF5.
Like I said, its a compounded issue. People are negative on the state of the game which in turn multiplies how negative they are about cosmetics when that aspect of the game becomes controversial which in turn multiplies how negative they are about the state of the game when they get an awful patch that actually breaks the game. It doesn't matter that Tekken still has better customization than other FGs, people who are fans of a specific franchise will for the most part compare said franchise with itself. Like for example as a SF fan, when I get bummed out by SF6 costumes taking a while to release my mind doesn't go "Tekken has handled costumes better for decades", it goes "SFV had more costumes year 1, wish we had gotten a Yor costume for Chun Li".

If anything SF6 has proven to me that Capcom's current approach to balance is the way to go, I just wish we had gotten the Ed patch balance changes alongside AKI as opposed to this late.

M3z_

Oct 30, 2017
As a Ken player I love to play against Sim, literally my favorite matchup to play in the game

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017

SCVI's customization was significantly better than what T7 or T8 offer (still disappointed with just how limited Tekken remains in that regard).

El Sloth

Oct 26, 2017
Life got in the way and I won't be able to host a lobby today 😔. Will try to host one this weekend to make up for it!

Next week should still hopefully be at the same time of to

That said, if someone else wants to host the lobby today then please do!