• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Suikoden was the game Psycho Mantis read off my memory card, also that was the day I learned I was saying Suikoden incorrectly.
I can't wait for this, I never got to play the second game so I am really excited for this.

Sephiroth

Oct 26, 2017
Suikoden 3 has a very good well told story with amazing memorable characters.

It's brilliant how the game let you control 4 main characters with their own chapters and party members and to see the story from each side and how the groups interact together at certain events till you reach a point that they all emerge together into one massive group and the story become much more epic and interesting especially when you mix different characters from different groups finally in one party…. One of my most memorable gaming experience :-)

I finished the game almost two decades ago and I still remember it mostly pretty well, while there are games I finished recently and they have already slipped from my memory… this tells you A LOT about how Suikoden 3 being a lifetime gaming experience ;-)

There is only one protagonist in the game imo

oqeTwYL.jpg

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
There's some very mild strategic elements for a couple of battles or so, but they're mostly JRPGs at the end of the day.

Yes - get your guide ready because there is a lot of missable stuff if you want TEH TRUE ENDING (tm)

Yes, it's a JRPG but with a gimmick of having 108 characters you can recruit.

I've heard about the fact that over a 100 characters are in the game, that's why I thought maybe SRPG.
Duly noted, probably not for me then.
It's great that Konami finally brings back this series though!

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so down for this but I guess it also automatically rules out any possibility of these coming to PS Classics.

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
I would've been happy with just a PS Backwards Compatible version without trophies. Just to have the games available on some modern day system but this is so far beyond anything I expected from Konami that I was tearing up when I saw this.

Same 100%. First game that I ever played that made me emotional. Ah, 1997 all over again.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Man they really are changing a lot!
lots of the spell effects are different too

can't wait to replay these, it's been 20+ years for me!

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Man they really are changing a lot!
lots of the spell effects are different too

can't wait to replay these, it's been 20+ years for me!
Yeah I am surprise how much change.

• Graphical Improvements
    • Pixel sprites and environment art enhanced with new screen effects including lighting, clouds, and shadow animations Flickering flames, smoldering smoke, the movement of leaves and insects, all add up to a lively in-game atmosphere!
    • The effects and direction have been redesigned, bringing memorable scenes back to life in more beautiful ways!
  • New Character Drawings
    • All character portraits have been updated in HD. Junko Kawano, who designed the characters for the original version of Suikoden released in 1995, has newly re-drawn all the character portraits for Suikoden I HD Remaster: Gate Rune War.
  • Sound Improvements
    • Field Sound – A large number of environmental sounds not found in the original version, such as the sound of running water in the river, wind, insects, and running footsteps, have been added. You can enjoy an immersive experience like never before!
    • Battle Sound – All sound effects are now in HD. In addition to the impact of the 3D effects, the realistic sound greatly enhances the dynamism of the battles!
  • Game System Improvements
    • Many new features have been added, such as dialogue log, auto-battle, double-speed battles, etc.
www.gematsu.com

Suikoden I & II HD Remaster: Gate Rune and Dunan Unification Wars announced for PS4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC

Konami has announced Suikoden I & II HD Remaster: Gate Rune and Dunan Unification Wars for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC (Steam). It will launch in 2023.

Arcana Wiz

Oct 26, 2017
I've heard about the fact that over a 100 characters are in the game, that's why I thought maybe SRPG.
Duly noted, probably not for me then.
It's great that Konami finally brings back this series though!

Just clearing something its not 108 playable characters. Many of them will have other uses, wont say more so i want spoil.

I think the playable number hover around 60-70 in the series (still a lot)

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah so with Suikoden there's usually 60 to 80 playable characters. Most are forced story recruits but a sizeable chunk are missable.

There's also secret characters that dont count towards the 108 stars of destiny in some Suikodens. So not necessary for a true ending.

All the playable characters kind of fit a standard RPG class but in Suikoden you'll get multiple characters that can fit the same class. They'll just specialize in different things. Like If you have 3 mages early game all 3 of them will come equipped with different armor, weapons, and magic types.

Alot of times they'll have stats that fit their story too. Like a kid that's weak at attacking but a powerful mage. Or a soldier mage who's stronger at attacking and defending but not as strong magically as the kid with casting spells right out of the gate.

Runes are like materia in Final Fantasy 7. I believe in Suikoden 1 you can only equip 1 per character but in every following Suikoden it's a max of 3 runes per character.
Some characters that aren't really magically gifted take forever to unlock rune slots. Some characters come with all their slots unlocked. Some characters come with Runes forcibly locked on them that can't be removed. These are special runes that maybe only that character will have all game.

A lot of times it's just a special attack but other times it can be something as weird as a Rune that makes the character start battle asleep but as soon as an enemy wakes him up he'll have 3 times the normal attack power he would normally have. Basically he wakes up pissed.

Weapons cannot be changed. Every character has a story reason for fighting the way they do and for some of them it even gets explained briefly. Like with a main character and their friends they use martial arts based weapons because they all trained under the same master or a dude using a sword he found in a cave. A samurai spent his life training his style see he only uses his katana. That kind of thing.

You can upgrade weapons though. Even add rune pieces to them to give them magical effects.

I love Suikoden 3 because that's the game where they decided "Let's give characters unique abilities. Wait let's make every character have unique abilities, give them blank skill slots, AND give you a way to customize any character's abilities so they can fight how you want. Wait no let's make them customizable within reason so it makes sense story wise that a character can only master certain skills up to a point"

I wish they could retroactively port that skill system to all Suikodens but I understand why that would be way too much work. I'm just happy there's a form of it on 3 and 5. I forget how 4's worked.

In Suikoden 1 and 2 I think it's based purely on stats if a character can dodge and counterattack.

kreepmode

Oct 25, 2017
is this the same konami from the past 10+ years?

Between this and the sure to successful (i assume w/o looking at sales charts) TMNT collection that was also a nicely put together package maybe Konami realized they can just churn out remasters/remakes for the next 5 years and do pretty well esp if theyre all received well by fans.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
If I able to criticize KONAMI before release, some parts are beautiful more than the original, but I felt that some lighting blooms were little bit too much, in my opinion... 🤷‍♂️

Suikoden-I-and-II-HD-Remaster_-Gate-Rune-and-Dunan-Unification-Wars_2022_09-16-22_011.jpg

Suikoden-I-and-II-HD-Remaster_-Gate-Rune-and-Dunan-Unification-Wars_2022_09-16-22_012.jpg

It's still good, but maybe they could tone it down a bit... 🤷‍♂️

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
whaaaaaat? I just saw this.

SuiKO outta NOWHERE!

Konami finally woke up, and I'm glad they did, even if just for remasters.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
If I able to criticize KONAMI before release, some parts are beautiful more than the original, but I felt that some lighting blooms were little bit too much, in my opinion... 🤷‍♂️

Suikoden-I-and-II-HD-Remaster_-Gate-Rune-and-Dunan-Unification-Wars_2022_09-16-22_011.jpg

Suikoden-I-and-II-HD-Remaster_-Gate-Rune-and-Dunan-Unification-Wars_2022_09-16-22_012.jpg

I think it looks amazing, especially in motion
it has this ethereal quality to it

Oct 26, 2017
Something I always thought was such a missed opportunity was the lack of a quick Wii port of 5 at launch since it came out on PS2 earlier the same year. But maybe they thought since Nintendo fans never got the first four they didn't think it'd catch on, but it was also primarily by Hudson who was there from day 1. You'd think they if anyone would've pushed for such a port and could've really helped push for a JRPG audience early on. Alas, hindsight. I also remember those rumors on a Wii-exclusive Suikoden 6. :P

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Game System Improvements
  • Many new features have been added, such as dialogue log, auto-battle, double-speed battles, etc.

Oh fuck yeah! Suikoden random encounters were already insanely fast as is. This will definitely be a nice QoL improvement if you get a character late and want to quickly catch their levels up!

Oct 26, 2017
I have a ton of arranged Suikoden CD:s that I've been looping recently. There's a surprising amount, even with most of them focused on the first two games. I have three Celtic Collections, two Piano Collections, two arranged "Ongakushu" versions, and the vocal "Echoes of Love" and "La Passione Commuove la Storia" soundtracks. So much to love here, and so many amazing songs. The intros of the first three games, Theme of a Moonlit Night, Nanami's theme, Gothic Neclord, obviously La Passione Commuove la Storia itself...

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017
generally i think it looks really impressive, but i do kinda like the slightly more muted colors of the original more. but the actual quality and cleanliness of the backgrounds looks good!

Excited to play these again

Oct 26, 2017
Ideally they'd do Suiko III through V in one collection, but I'm going to guess they get greedy about it.
I honestly can see those being singular remasters. Only recent collection of 3D PS2 games I know of was Mega Man X Legacy Collection 2 which had X7 and X8, but honestly the way they were handled made me prefer proper remasters than just upressed emulations.

Though Klonoa could count also and those were... "remakes" as well but they left a bit to be desired IMO.

Oct 27, 2017
It depends to be honest. Because I could see people paying for Suikoden 3 and 5 separately in decent numbers. But 4 though. I don't think too many people would buy that one unless it was bundled with like Suikoden Tactics and the handheld Suikodens or something.

Give me a random encounter slider on Suikoden 4 so I can sail in peace and then maybe we're onto something special there.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
I did a replay of the entire series a few years ago. Suprisingly the first two games had aged by far the best. 3 the worst. It has a great story but it has probably the most backtracking of any jrpg I've ever played and thats saying something. Doesn't help that the teleport comes rather late. I'd probably not support a hypothetical release of 3-5 unless they made significant changes to gameplay. Ugly as sin too.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
I played Suikoden 1 for a bit before the "twist" happened but never 2, even though I have always wanted to. Excited for these remasters, though I may just skip to 2.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I played Suikoden 1 for a bit before the "twist" happened but never 2, even though I have always wanted to. Excited for these remasters, though I may just skip to 2.
I would absolutely advise you to play S1 and use a guide to get the true ending so you can get your save into S2.
S1 is not a long game at all and having your save loaded into S2 is REALLY cool, trust me.
Also quite a few characters from S1 show up in S2 and things are referenced and it adds a lot to the game to know them from S1

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
I would absolutely advise you to play S1 and use a guide to get the true ending so you can get your save into S2.
S1 is not a long game at all and having your save loaded into S2 is REALLY cool, trust me.
Also quite a few characters from S1 show up in S2 and things are referenced and it adds a lot to the game to know them from S1

I'll trust your word!

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Love that they created new render for 3D environment in the intro movie. Not sure what they did with the background sprite though, they remade everything I guess...?

Kline

AVALANCHE
Sep 15, 2022
The most important choice:

Kasumi or Valeria

Its a shame the game didn't really make it much of a choice at all. Valeria is one of the strongest party members in the game (5x Falcon Rune crit is OP) and one of the best generals in war battles too (8/8 with Cavalry) and Kasumi is just average in both.

She does get some sweet unique dialogue to make up for it, but eh.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be more interested in a remake of Suikoden 3 than a remaster, but I'll take what they do for sure. And by "remake" I mean more something that's super faithful, but does some stuff that a remaster wouldn't do. Like honestly, Suikoden 3 has aged poorly in regard to backtracking. There's just so much of it and it's such a chore to have to go through all those fields again and again and again. If Konami remastered/remade Suiko 3, I would love nothing more than a true overworld being added that let players go staight from Vinay to Brass Castle, skipping entirely Zexen Forest, for example.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Kasumi lets you in the Ninja Village early, but Valeria gets to be gay with Anita, so the choice is clear!!

Deluxury

Dec 3, 2018

I don't mind bright beautiful lightings, but yeah my gripe is that night is supposed to be a despairful night. That beautiful night sky and moonlight just don't go well with the OST and situation at that time. From common drama techniques, one might even make it rain (Suikoden 1). But since it didn't, the least they should do is to make it gloomy.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
Having played through Suikoden 1 something like 6 times….what twist?😩

It's been a couple of years so I don't remember the details, but I think the game
stars with you joining a rebellion group and is set up as you doing errands for them? I dropped the game then but I remember seeing that shortly after the leader dies and you need to escape or something.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
All this time his eyes wide open staring down your soul in Suikoden 1. 😄

I just know this now after seeing his touch-up design, and can't discern it from the PS1 graphics back then, lol, I always thought his eyes were closed.

latest

The most important choice:

Kasumi or Valeria
latest

♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
All this time his eyes wide open staring down your soul in Suikoden 1. 😄

I just know this now after seeing his touch-up design, and can't discern it from the PS1 graphics back then, lol, I always thought his eyes were closed.

latest

Yeah
d2ueIHu.gif

It's very funny that Tai Ho is just, like, some guy in Suikoden 1's art, but for Suikoden 2 they were like "No, he's actually really hot"

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
It's been a couple of years so I don't remember the details, but I think the game
stars with you joining a rebellion group and is set up as you doing errands for them? I dropped the game then but I remember seeing that shortly after the leader dies and you need to escape or something.
Ohh, okay. You didn't get very far, but I absolutely understand getting bored of 1.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah
d2ueIHu.gif

It's very funny that Tai Ho is just, like, some guy in Suikoden 1's art, but for Suikoden 2 they were like "No, he's actually really hot"
Kawano's art were actually great for being the first game in the series, though Fumi Ishikawa takes it much further/better in designs of S2.

Not until S4 we finally see Kawano's evolution for the better.