• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Is everyone ready to walk diagonally?!?
YES?

That new footage & sound effects:
a7031e8ce4a66c2aaafd87aca298290a.gif

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
So these are kinda half remake half remasters huh?
The 3d graphic changes, background changes (not just updates, entirely different looking backgrounds) etc...

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I thought somewhere in this thread it was said they are
Ah yes.

www.gematsu.com

Suikoden I & II HD Remaster: Gate Rune and Dunan Unification Wars announced for PS4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC

Konami has announced Suikoden I & II HD Remaster: Gate Rune and Dunan Unification Wars for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC (Steam). It will launch in 2023.

• New Character Drawings
    • All character portraits have been updated in HD. Junko Kawano, who designed the characters for the original version of Suikoden released in 1995, has newly re-drawn all the character portraits for Suikoden I HD Remaster: Gate Rune War.

They look pretty close to her modern style shown in Eiyuden.
It's actually her re-drawn all the Suikoden 1 characters again.

Props to KONAMI for that.

đź‘Ť

Sesha

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I briefly got excited thinking we were gonna see options for old and new assets. Then I realized they were just showing the original game as contrast. Alas.

Sesha

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Okay...

I'm warming up to the redone graphics.

BUT, I still think they're overdone and the new assets look kinda out of place. Everything looks way too shiny and pretty. The grime and grit of this chaotic, wartorn world has been sandpapered off in favor of typical JRPG generic prettiness. A lot of backgrounds have been redone without consideration for what's actually meant to be happening in the scene. That's another reason for the RPG Maker comparisons because the art direction come across as a tad amateurish. The character sprites also clash jarringly with the new visuals. Also, the sound effects still largely suck. They largely lack impact.

Anyway, my overall stance hasn't changed. If this is what Suikoden needs to reach a new, wider audience, then that's the way it is, but I still want options for original graphics, UI and sound, and is a complete dealbreaker for me. I don't wanna have to rely on my digital PSN version and JP PS1 copy forever. If they wanna reach a wider audience without even preserving the original game, then they can do it without my help.

Last edited:

Sesha

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I watched the whole thing, but there wasn't much new to learn from it.

Of the things that stood out to me, 5's director says that there's still a lot of original Suikoden staff left at Konami.

They mentioned that these are remake-adjacent remasters, and it wouldn't be wrong to just call these remakes.

Last edited:

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I hope they change the white border of the text box in dialogues & battle screen.

Not only distracting, but ugly too in my opinion... 🤷 :/

suikoden_comparison_1.jpg

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I wonder if there are any plans for 3, 4, 5. I'm guessing not, that the number of people interested in or even aware of those games is much less.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
wait until you recruit Window he will give you more options
Yeah, but it's not like he'll straight available at the start of the game... : /

The white color of the border & the white color of the letters/font.

In my humble opinion as a designer, the white border should be change it to something darker or no border at all or even the yellow color like the original would be fine.

It's small complaint, but hey, we'll see how it looks in 2023... 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Deluxury

Dec 3, 2018
Happy 10/8 AKA 108 Stars of Destiny day! Suikoden JP twitter is making people tweet about various things like favorite location, characters, cutscenes, etc. The English twitter account is quiet as usual.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I think Suikoden I's backgrounds look plasticky, they remind me of RPG Maker XP. I guess that's nostalgic in its own way.

II looks good, and I've never played that one, so I'm excited for that.

Ekid

Dec 21, 2017
I wish they had add the two Suikogaiden games. It would have been a nice bonus.

Jul 7, 2021

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Nothing makes me gasp like seeing a Suikoden thread title on Page 1. I forgot this was coming out next year.

Oct 26, 2017
Retail version incoming:

suikoden.jpg

www.nedgame.nl

Suikoden I & II HD Remaster - Gate Rune and Dunan Unification Wars (Nintendo Switch) kopen - release 31-12-2024 - pre-order nu!

Het lot van een held is geschreven in de sterren<br /> De legendarische Konami JRPG's Suikoden I en Suikoden II zijn nu geremasterd in HD!<br /> <br /> <strong>Het verhaal van Suikoden I</strong><br /> Een ooit beroemde held verandert in een gewelddadige tiran en een rijk vervalt.<br /> Een...

€ 39,99
It's for EU for now but the fact it's by Konami and not a 3rd-party, gives hope that Konami US will do the same as IIRC they hardly, if ever, do EU-only retail releases, right?

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Retail version incoming:

www.nedgame.nl

Suikoden I & II HD Remaster - Gate Rune and Dunan Unification Wars (Nintendo Switch) kopen - release 31-12-2024 - pre-order nu!

Het lot van een held is geschreven in de sterren<br /> De legendarische Konami JRPG's Suikoden I en Suikoden II zijn nu geremasterd in HD!<br /> <br /> <strong>Het verhaal van Suikoden I</strong><br /> Een ooit beroemde held verandert in een gewelddadige tiran en een rijk vervalt.<br /> Een...

€ 39,99

Xbox and PlayStation too, very nice!

suikoden-i---ii-hd-remaster---gate-rune-and-dunan-unification-wars.3786141398.cover.webp
suikoden-i---ii-hd-remaster---gate-rune-and-dunan-unification-wars.2082155280.cover.webp

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Great to see!

But I will say again I really do hope this is only the beginning. I want to see Suikoden III-V all brought forward to current consoles.

If not, then at least put them up on Premium.

Wolf Parade

Feb 1, 2018
I just hope this is the beginning and we see all the Suikoden games remastered.

Here here. 3 in particular has the best story of the series, but poor graphics and sub-optimal gameplay (so much backtracking, friendly fire on spells, awkward pair-up system, etc.). A face-lift and tweak to the battle system could really propel this game into the top tier of JRPGS.