StraySheep

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 26, 2017
That's pretty disappointing to hear. My first time through the game put it at "best ever" (or somewhere thereabouts) for me, but I don't think it's going to hold my attention to the same extent anymore. I find myself really just wanting more bite-sized platforming challenges.

My question would be: if you felt that way, why would not feeling the urge to get every single moon change that? If I only get 500 moons and stop playing I don't think I would feel any worse about the game.

Cindres

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, so some post game stuff. I just got
moons and I've travelled to
the dark side

Now are you telling me I really have to
Beat all the Broodas a third god damned time, in one continue, in low G? Please tell me it's worth it.

Valahart

Oct 25, 2017
Oksy, I gotta talk abou the past 500 Moons thing.

I haven't really gotten to the special final stages on 3D World or Galaxy, just so you know.
I hate it when devs build artificial difficulty based solely on wasting the player's time. The level is supposed to be "SUPER HARD" I get it. However, it is basically built in a way that the player is never supposed to get each section the first try, meaning everytime there is a new section you are pretty much forced to go back to the very beginning of the huge level again. Whenever I can get to the same part 20 times in a row without taking damage, it just means the devs are wasting my time, and the level isn't hard.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ok, so some post game stuff. I just got
moons and I've travelled to
the dark side

Now are you telling me I really have to
Beat all the Broodas a third god damned time, in one continue, in low G? Please tell me it's worth it.
There will be something after that as well if you collect 500 moons so yeah. Just to prepare you, you also have to beat the robot from bowsers castle at the end. Though theres at least some heal before you get into that one. Many people don't know the easiest way to beat the girl and blue puking broodal, make sure you know how to.

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
My question would be: if you felt that way, why would not feeling the urge to get every single moon change that? If I only get 500 moons and stop playing I don't think I would feel any worse about the game.

I know what you're saying, but I just love the game so much that I want to want to do everything (if that makes sense). I wish the end game had more defined challenges outside of revisiting old levels and scouring them for the more obscure Moons, which I find kind of exhausting.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Im attempting to go for 100%, usually getting every single moon I can before moving onto the next kingdom. I think I have around 260 and Im in Bellarina (sp?). Im not using a guide, only the ingame hint system (not toad, until I need him).

However, some of the get 100 score on X event seem impossible to me. The one here on this kingdom is excruciatingly slow. Ill get to about 50 and fuck up and then tell myself it isnt worth it. But eventually, I gotta do it.

Also - to that japanese guy from the leaderboards who seems to have #1 on all of them, including 5000+ on the volley ball, seems like a fucking mad man.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. For the downward throw just do a ground pound and then immediately hit Y when you land.

For upward, you have to use motion and just quickly flick/raise the controller up. That one is less reliable as I some times get the spin move if I'm not careful.

On that front, you can also do the spin with motion instead of the spin the stick to get Mario spinning and press Y method. Just flick the controller with your wrist with one hand like throwing a frisbee (or Mario throwing Cappy). It's a tad less reliable than with split joycons, but works when you need to do it faster than the stick spin method.

It sounds like this approach would require that I've already landed, which would result in Mario just throwing his hat straight into the ground? Maybe I've misunderstood.

I'm specifically trying to do what I've seen in videos, which is Mario is above a bouncy flower and he throws his hat down to open it before landing on it.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It sounds like this approach would require that I've already landed, which would result in Mario just throwing his hat straight into the ground? Maybe I've misunderstood.

I'm specifically trying to do what I've seen in videos, which is Mario is above a bouncy flower and he throws his hat down to open it before landing on it.

Yeah, I don't think you could use it for that. When you hit Y after a ground bound the downward throw results in the hat rolling forward along the ground until it hits something. Useful for getting some coins that are over a cliff etc.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
This is the image Norway's largest newspaper used to illustrate a story about the game. Notice anything... odd? (Spoilered because huge)

4mACfNe.jpg

4mACfNe

Last edited:

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat the game and started messing around in
the Mushroom Kingdom. I really wish Toadette just gave you all the achievement Moons at once. The Mario 64 costume and all of the references at the Mushroom Kingdom are amazing.

Kamui

Oct 28, 2017
I have to say, I've really been enjoying having a game that has so many collectibles with no sort of premium currency or loot box shenanigans. I've always had the mentality that I want to be able to see everything a game has to offer and I want to potentially collect everything. That's been difficult to do with modern games without having to worry about additional costs, season passes and what not. Even Zelda had day one DLC to preorder. I appreciate that they decided to put so much effort into creating all of those outfits and everything just as something to collect in game as you progress.

Miscend

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get any of the criticism of the game's art direction. Super Mario has always been a work of Surrealism. According to wikipedia "Surrealist works feature the element of surprise, unexpected juxtapositions and non sequitur;". New Donk City and pretty much everything in the game fits in with the Mario art style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2bAN9pPeiE

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just beat the game and started messing around in
the Mushroom Kingdom. I really wish Toadette just gave you all the achievement Moons at once. The Mario 64 costume and all of the references at the Mushroom Kingdom are amazing.
Is there an achievement-list somehwere where I can see what to go for? I don't seem to find anything.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Oksy, I gotta talk abou the past 500 Moons thing.

I haven't really gotten to the special final stages on 3D World or Galaxy, just so you know.
I hate it when devs build artificial difficulty based solely on wasting the player's time. The level is supposed to be "SUPER HARD" I get it. However, it is basically built in a way that the player is never supposed to get each section the first try, meaning everytime there is a new section you are pretty much forced to go back to the very beginning of the huge level again. Whenever I can get to the same part 20 times in a row without taking damage, it just means the devs are wasting my time, and the level isn't hard.
That was easily the easiest of the Grandmaster Galaxy/Champion's Road/Darker Side trio. The only things that I got hit by that I felt were unfair were:
-Yoshi wall licking bringing you on an arc instead of a straight line as you'd expect (I hit fuzzies due to this)
-The section with those circular beam things on the moving ice platform.

The second of which I still kinda blame me for not realizing how obvious it was to not trigger the circular beams if I could avoid it.. The 2D section having contextualized left/right also threw me for a loop, Nintendo normally handles that pretty well - but I didn't get hurt because of it. All in all, I felt it was the most react-able of the three. I only died 3 times (one of which was just me rushing resulting in a careless jump down a pit), which was far less than Galaxy 2/3D World's final challenges.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get any of the criticism of the game's art direction. Super Mario has always been a work of Surrealism. According to wikipedia "Surrealist works feature the element of surprise, unexpected juxtapositions and non sequitur;"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2bAN9pPeiE

People don't like how certain elements of the game clash, which still feels absurd to me. It's supposed to feel entirely alien and different and you should be able to pick out who and what comes from which Kingdom on just a aesthetic level. It's some of the strongest art direction I've ever seen in the franchise and I can't comprehend how people can miss the point of it, especially when it's supposed to be a globe trotting adventure in a fantasy world.

Not liking it- I mean, it's up to those people's opinion but personally it's my favorite aspect.

Last edited:

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Slowly but surely making my way through. Currently in the forest area, 120 or so moons in, all purple coins in the previous 4 worlds. The wooded areas are probably the least interesting ones of the game so far, but I hear things get better later on. Such a minor complaint that I wasn't even sure to write it... game has been a complete joy. I can't stop thinking or talking about it.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't think you could use it for that. When you hit Y after a ground bound the downward throw results in the hat rolling forward along the ground until it hits something. Useful for getting some coins that are over a cliff etc.

Ah, thanks for clarifying.

I guess I'll keep trying motion controls and maybe the Joy-Con to see if I can make it work as I'm going for.

StraySheep

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 26, 2017
I know what you're saying, but I just love the game so much that I want to want to do everything (if that makes sense). I wish the end game had more defined challenges outside of revisiting old levels and scouring them for the more obscure Moons, which I find kind of exhausting.
Who knows, I might feel the same when I get there!

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Mushroom Kingdom was kind of a disappointment aesthetically. Kind of felt like a fanmade Unreal Engine 4 recreation of the map and I would normally not stoop to a comparison but like it just felt off in a way. I like the map as is, redesigns and all and it feels like a fully fledged map.

It also didn't really feel like it conformed to any kind of aesthetic that had been established for the Mushroom Kingdom before hand; the mushrooms growing around in the level felt like a weird addition that didn't seem to fit, like a mural in a Mellow Mushroom restaurant.

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
The Mushroom Kingdom was kind of a disappointment aesthetically. Kind of felt like a fanmade Unreal Engine 4 recreation of the map and I would normally not stoop to a comparison but like it just felt off in a way. I like the map as is, redesigns and all and it feels like a fully fledged map.

It also didn't really feel like it conformed to any kind of aesthetic that had been established for the Mushroom Kingdom before hand; the mushrooms growing around in the level felt like a weird addition that didn't seem to fit, like a mural in a Mellow Mushroom restaurant.

What's worse for me is that each of the stages are just bosses, again—I was so surprised and disappointed when I realized they weren't a bunch of ultra-hard platforming levels.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or does the Wooded Kingdom music partially sample Coldplay's Viva la Vida for a small portion? I can't stop hearing it.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York

Check out the skybox on the stage. It's so boring. They should have thrown little references in, like Mario Circuit, really tall mushrooms, or some pyramids in the distance just to remind us this is the Mushroom Kingdom and not a barren wasteland.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I think finding all the purple coins has been one of the most fun/rewarding parts of this game. LOL I mean, I like the platforming and creativity throughout, but there's something so exciting about noticing a crack in a wall, or a just out-of-sight platform that reveals those last few you've been looking for. Plus, there aren't so many that it becomes mind-numbing. It's been just the right balance so far.

Oct 25, 2017
OH MY GOD, my copy finally came in the post. Goddamn Amazon. This delivery was so completely bungled at every link of the chain that I was literally beginning to have dreams, or nightmares rather, about finally receiving the parcel and opening it to find the cartridge was missing.

Never doing this for a 20% pre-order discount again. Just not worth the future cost of therapy. I should have had the presence of mind to cancel the order and pull it off the shelf a week ago. No regrets about going physical, though—I had no idea the lyrics to "Jump Up, Super Star!" were in the interior of the packaging.

I'M SO EXCITED. Had to go dark from (most) Nintendo-related media all week but still got spoiled on the moon and world count from browsing ResetEra and avoiding he Mario threads.

Oct 25, 2017
México
I think finding all the purple coins has been one of the most fun/rewarding parts of this game. LOL I mean, I like the platforming and creativity throughout, but there's something so exciting about noticing a crack in a wall, or a just out-of-sight platform that reveals those last few you've been looking for. Plus, there aren't so many that it becomes mind-numbing. It's been just the right balance so far.
And I really like that the coins can easily be seen from distances far away and they always come in groups. Not too easy but not too tedious to find... just right.

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
OH MY GOD, my copy finally came in the post. Goddamn Amazon. This delivery was so completely bungled at every link of the chain that I was literally beginning to have dreams, or nightmares rather, about finally receiving the parcel and opening it to find the cartridge was missing.

Never doing this for a 20% pre-order discount again. Just not worth the future cost of therapy. I should have had the presence of mind to cancel the order and pull it off the shelf a week ago. No regrets about going physical, though—I had no idea the lyrics to "Jump Up, Super Star!" were in the interior of the packaging.

I'M SO EXCITED. Had to go dark from (most) Nintendo-related media all week but still got spoiled on the moon and world count from browsing ResetEra and avoiding he Mario threads.
If you still want a 20% discount while avoiding Amazon's sketchy delivery times, have you considered Best Buy's GCU program?

Oct 28, 2017
Right, so I just lost my shit when I found a secret painting in the Luncheon kingdom. Looking at the painting I was like IS THAT WHAT I THINK IT IS?! Then I went in there and yep. I am excited to get to that kingdom properly later.

Also I screamed when
I saw it was a SM64 shaped star instead of a moon. I screamed once more when I collected it and SM64 music played. I don't even like 64 that much and it waa still hype.

Oct 25, 2017
México

You still need to do the 20% but not from Amazon. You need to start using Best Buy's GCU. 20% in all videogames, both online and retail.

And the membership is way cheaper.

Best Buy with GCU had Mario + 20% discount + $10 voucher + collectors coin. Better deal than Amazon.

Oct 25, 2017
If you still want a 20% discount while avoiding Amazon's sketchy delivery times, have you considered Best Buy's GCU program?

Not in a place where it exists, I'm afraid.

Was hoping to see this game on a TV first, but I need to have my Switch on portable at the moment and I can't justify waiting any longer. See you folks on the other side; may drop by to jot down some impressions as I go.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I went from like 420 moons to 520 moons yesterday and generally had a blast. I was mostly focused on New Donk City, I had 32 of 90 moons and I am now close to 70. The sheer variety of activities I did and found is incredible. It is a ton of fun and I really hate to stop playing every night.

It's still not my preferred mario. I still think many of the moons are kind of crappy so it's a mixed bag but it's the most awesome mixed bag ever.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
And I really like that the coins can easily be seen from distances far away and they always come in groups. Not too easy but not too tedious to find... just right.
Despite sometimes grumbling about the collectathon aspect of this game, I will concede that they did do a good job at making the coins stand out as much as possible so that they're not easily missed. Striking purple color, consistently bunched in groups of 2/3/4 throughout the whole game, pop into view from very long distances away, etc.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
You still need to do the 20% but not from Amazon. You need to start using Best Buy's GCU. 20% in all videogames, both online and retail.

And the membership is way cheaper.

Best Buy with GCU had Mario + 20% discount + $10 voucher + collectors coin. Better deal than Amazon.
They said "Post" instead of mail so I'm guessing they're not in country that has a Best Buy.

julian

Oct 27, 2017

I've found it's very useful for getting a few of the glowing birds since it reaches further and they can't get away in time.

Oct 25, 2017
Two musical points of interest that all of you early adopters probably noticed a week ago:

1) The airship theme for Bowser in the opening cutscene is an orchestration of the melody retrofitted into SMB1 for the airship tileset in Super Mario Maker.

2) The two-note sound effects when you pause to peruse the menu screen trace the Comet Observatory theme!

AHHHHH I'm not even past the first tutorial screen yet AHHHHH

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ground Pound Jump is too good. Like no need for the backflip in most situations.