• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Two musical points of interest that all of you early adopters probably noticed a week ago:

1) The airship theme for Bowser in the opening cutscene is an orchestration of the melody retrofitted into SMB1 for the airship tileset in Super Mario Maker.

2) The two-note sound effects when you pause to peruse the menu screen trace the Comet Observatory theme!

AHHHHH I'm not even past the first tutorial screen yet AHHHHH
Mario Odyssey is not only an incredible game on its own but it's also the most lovingly crafted love letter to the series that they could ever make. From the music to designs to gameplay sections to story, even costumes from random ancient commercials, everything is just amazingly polished, there's references to pretty much every Mario game ever.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to start 100% tonight, tried to do the hard stuff and i was getting too frustrated last night so i'm going to try and finish kingdoms first. i'm at over 500 moons, still missing a lot of the special coins. Missing 2 on NDC and I have no idea where to begin to look for em because I feel like I've been everywhere but theres a lot of scaffolding and tight alleyways.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite Power Moon in the game is found in New Donk City. I'll spoiler tag it, even though it's not really a spoiler:

Free Parking: Leap of Faith

So awesome.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
My favorite Power Moon in the game is found in New Donk City. I'll spoiler tag it, even though it's not really a spoiler:

So awesome.

Yeah that's a great example of a clever one that takes some thought. Did that one yesterday and thought I was a genius for figuring it out when in reality it was clearly designed for everyone to do that.

Oct 25, 2017

So awesome.

That one cracked me up.
It took me forever to find that dang scooter. And I was like, "That can't really be it is it?" Then you just fly across the whole stage.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Finished it, great game but overall I think both Galxies and 64 are better.

My biggest gripe with Odyssey is that it took the worst aspect of BOTW and applied it to the whole game; ie the collectible power moons being everywhere with no real challenge or reward from collecting them. The game favors you doing countless little tasks such as simply talking to someone, a ground pound, collecting musical notes, etc - versus the more challenging platforming segments you needed to do in previous games to get a star. Not that this is a totally bad thing, as the constant collectibles make the game seem fast and always gives you something to do. I just wish they were utilized better. The (mostly) linear path of the rather few worlds was disappointing, I would have preferred a more traditional "collect x moons to unlock this world" vs collect x moons to leave and go to the next. Purple coins can be as challenging to get as moons sometimes but the rewards are purely cosmetic, which gives me little incentive to go out of my way to collect them. They should have been used to unlock sub areas in worlds or something.

Beyond that, there is almost zero difficulty curve in the game. Some of the later worlds weren't any more difficult than the early ones. The final bowser fight was only slightly harder than the first. The cool Bowser segment at the end slightly made up for it, but almost felt undeserved. There also was a strange lack of standard Mario worlds like a Boo/Haunted world, which I felt could have easily been done in the awesome Ruined Kingdom which wasn't utilized at all despite having great aesthetics.

The mechanics of the game are excellent however and probably the best of the series in that respect. Capturing enemies was the highlight of the game, and they mostly utilized it well. I would have liked to see more than one or two captures per area to unlock more complex platforming ideas but I can't complain too much. The 2D segments were fantastic, I think they could have been more creative though and brought some of the 3D features in 2D, like capturing a bullet bill in 2D would have been awesome.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
When you get down to the last 2-3 moons in a Kingdom, you really see how poor some of them are.

"Oh, I missed a tiny glowy bit on a random ledge to ground pound." "Oh, I needed to through my hat on this one random flagpole out of a row of 10." "Oh, I needed to talk to this character wearing this specific costume."

So many of them are just dull and hard to find without a hint and the game would be better off without them. And then some are great, like diving out of the huge stew pot in luncheon kingdom as a fireball and landing in the smaller pot to heat it up. That's a good hidden star. The ones where you use art to find hidden stars are awesome too. But many really aren't. 400 moons would have been more than enough.
The point of the large amount of moons is largely the same as the large amount of Korok seeds. It is to reward exploration. Oh, you noticed this glowy spot? Oh, you've found this hidden ledge? Great, have a moon! I know it sucks from the point of view of a completionist but they are not design to be necessarily all found.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
The point of the large amount of moons is largely the same as the large amount of Korok seeds. It is to reward exploration. Oh, you noticed this glowy spot? Oh, you've found this hidden ledge? Great, have a star! I know it sucks from the point of view of a completionist but they are not design to be necessarily all found.
Yeah the fact that the last actual reward is at 500, leaving 380 more to be found for nothing other than your own satisfaction, should clue people in that you don't have to find all the Moons unless you want to. I don't know what you get at 999 but I'm told it's a minor thing and nothing like what happens at 500.

Also a good idea to keep in mind that Nintendo and Mario aren't just for seasoned hardcore gamers like us, if some kid wants to be able to get to 500 Moons to unlock the final thing they should be able to even if they can't long jump and throw their hat and bounce off it and go into a dive. Hell I can't even do that yet dammit ):<

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does it drive anyone else crazy that you can't use the D-Pad (or equivalent) to control Mario during 2-D sections?

Grrr.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Man....
FUCK that rabbit tower boss gauntlet... For the first time ever I actually went back to another Kingdom to buy an extra heart which helped me get to the third boss but then I died and you spawn back at the normal 3 hearts.... Sigh fuck that.

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The point of the large amount of moons is largely the same as the large amount of Korok seeds. It is to reward exploration. Oh, you noticed this glowy spot? Oh, you've found this hidden ledge? Great, have a moon! I know it sucks from the point of view of a completionist but they are not design to be necessarily all found.

I think that's a design mistake, then, because the game presents the goal as collecting moons. The goal of Zelda, on the other hand, is gaining power from shrines, defeating the beasts and beating Ganon. Korok Seeds are totally optional extras. In this way, it's actually the purple coins that are analogous to the moons in Mario Odyssey, as the purple coins are optional collectibles that unlock nice bonuses like stickers and costumes. But you don't feel like you need to collect them all as their a secondary thing.

Had there been purple coins where some of the poorer moons are placed the game would still have rewarded exploration just fine. Or even normal coins - I almost prefer finding a trove of coins to a moon because I'm constantly in need of more coins to buy things. (I have 670 moons) And when collecting moons is the goal that goal should feel more special than it does.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man....
FUCK that rabbit tower boss gauntlet... For the first time ever I actually went back to another Kingdom to buy an extra heart which helped me get to the third boss but then I died and you spawn back at the normal 3 hearts.... Sigh fuck that.
Tried it once and not gone back yet. I'm expecting that to be one of the very last things I do. It's worth mentioning though that with any boss if you die 3 times a toad spawns nearby that sells those hearts.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
korok seeds are only optional if you like being hamstrung with a ridiculously small inventory

900 Korok seeds are absolutely not needed to have a substantial inventory. I believe I had around 200 before I stopped even trying to get more because I didn't feel like I needed a larger inventory with the lack of postgame things to do.

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017

It's funny how I agree that this works in Mario yet it bothered me in BoTW.

Zero148

Oct 27, 2017
I have finished the main story last weekend and have to say, the game is amazing. The start of he post game gave me tears of joy.

Have been playing and enjoying the post game since then and today I have challenged myself a little bit in the lake kingdom with the post game challenge room and the koopa race. After traeting myself with these challenges I can say, that I love the game even more. Mario controls like a dream and the gamedesign is outstanding. There are so many possibilities for going transformation less or skip some part, it is ridiculous.

I want to share my progess with you here, because I am quite proud of it xD

My best Koopa race run in the lake kingdom: https://twitter.com/Zero148/status/926166639028006912

I have no idea where the best in the ledderbord can save another 8 seconds though.

And the post game challenge room of the lake kingdom:

casey_contra

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Tried it once and not gone back yet. I'm expecting that to be one of the very last things I do. It's worth mentioning though that with any boss if you die 3 times a toad spawns nearby that sells those hearts.
Not sure if y'all think this is cheap... but co-op was a GODSEND in this level. My buddy came over to help me with it lol.

I just hate having little Cappy hover overhead.

emb

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah the fact that the last actual reward is at 500, leaving 380 more to be found for nothing other than your own satisfaction, should clue people in that you don't have to find all the Moons unless you want to. I don't know what you get at 999 but I'm told it's a minor thing and nothing like what happens at 500.
Totally agree. The game doesn't necessarily care for you to find everything, it wants you to find reasonable amounts of everything. The first time you go through a level, you're just swimming in moons left and right, and it feels great. As you get down to the last few, it starts to leave you feeling lost, but at least offers multiple hint avenues. The game is geared more towards a normal/thorough playthrough, rather than a completionist approach.

The collectible structure is kind of flattened. Things that would have given you yellow coins or 1-ups or powerups in past games tend to give you moons directly. There's potential for it to dilute the sense of accomplishment, but I didn't really get that; I still felt really good every time I found a moon, even the stupidly simple ones.

When you get all the moons, the Odyssey's sail just turns gold, and you unlock a remixed final boss fight. GameXplain did a video on it, the fight didn't look all that different. Not sure if you get something for 999.

ThanksVision

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They put the moons everywhere so anyone can get the minimum amount needed to progress, just like they did with Korok seeds. It's only a problem if you want to collect them all, and even then, the majority of the moons are hidden well. There's only a handful that are actually 'ground pound this peculiar looking mound'

e: it's kinda telling between this and the BotW prize for getting all korok seeds that Nintendo doesn't want you to collect every little thing.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
Of course, I just wish in the case of both that there was more incentive to collect them. Odyssey even gives you free moons with the Achievement toad and lets you buy unlimited, when the only real prize comes at 500.
i guess, i honestly feel like the two different requirements of A: beating the game and then B: unlocking all the challenges at 250/500 is perfectly good for me. then all the rest of them are for completionists that i cant identify with because i think thats crazy. my other motivation is just to fuck around on the stages and maybe find a spare moon in the course of just having fun

but i can appreciate that the motivation isnt good enough for everyone

StraySheep

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 26, 2017
My goodness the costumes in this game. Any other game this year some of this shit would have been microtransactions.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
The issue for me is that the Moons ARE the content. In previous games they would be power ups or one ups or special coins. They substituted lengthy platform segments in this game for hundreds of shallow moons.

Gvitor

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone give me a hint about the secret power moon in the
Crumbledeen warp pipe challenge? The one with the Chargin' Chuck. It's driving me nuts, I can't find it.
?

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
zomg I just noticed the blurb for (a certain character's cap)
Luigi's cap.
I lol'd but then felt a little sad.

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I think that's a design mistake, then, because the game presents the goal as collecting moons. The goal of Zelda, on the other hand, is gaining power from shrines, defeating the beasts and beating Ganon. Korok Seeds are totally optional extras.

This is a really important distinction, and I think it's why the post-game in Mario feels so weird to me.

Oct 30, 2017
Mario Odyssey is not only an incredible game on its own but it's also the most lovingly crafted love letter to the series that they could ever make. From the music to designs to gameplay sections to story, even costumes from random ancient commercials, everything is just amazingly polished, there's references to pretty much every Mario game ever.

Agreed. I'm at 500+ moons and every single time I play I notice more small details.

Also, those complaining about "no challenge" are completely full of it. There's a fuckload of challenge in the post game
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
and there's many moons I've already given up on getting after dying dozens and dozens of times. The only thing is that I think that Nintendo should have thrown some of these sections in as requirements or at least optional before the post-game, in order to stifle these complaints. But, I understand their desire to allow the biggest percentage of people possible to complete the game without frustration, and those who want to continue and do tougher challenges and do so.

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'll give it a shot, thanks! I feel like my joy-cons are just not that responsive sometimes.

Small tip: try pressing LT a beat before Y. Pulling it off was inconsistent for me until I started doing this. If you press them at the same time it often registers Y first and you'll get a weird fail sound and it'll do a ground pound instead.

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine the large number of moons is so that no matter where you go or what you do on your playthrough, there's a moon waiting for you. The game clearly isn't built for the completionist mindset. The areas are large and players are not forced in any one direction. So if a player goes to some random corner of the map, there needs to be something waiting there for them. So they create far more than necessary so that each player can progress at the same rate no matter what path they choose throughout the entire game. So yeah, a more hardcore person who focuses so much on 100%ing or things like that may find it odd or even "bad design", but most players will just have a constant stream of fun and moons without noticing. And they'll be able to do so in a way that's all their own, which is probably a good design goal for an open-focused game to have.

Honestly, the only moons I think are stupid are the shop and achievement moons. I can understand them in theory, as a way for children or people who get stuck to progress. But there's enough moons elsewhere that it seems unlikely most people of any age or skill level will ever really need them.

I want to share my progess with you here, because I am quite proud of it xD

My best Koopa race run in the lake kingdom: https://twitter.com/Zero148/status/926166639028006912

I have no idea where the best in the ledderbord can save another 8 seconds though.

Nice moves!

Beefwheat

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Winkler, Manitoba
Finished the story mode yesterday night while grinning and saying "Video games are crazy!" out loud to nobody in particular. I've grown up with this series and I think this one's a fine addition to the canon. Now I'm going to shamelessly look up guides for the Koopa Freerunning master cups because I am no good at free running :(

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
But they're not rewarding when you don't really have to explore to find them. A lot of them aren't hidden. You just trip over them. At the very least you should have to do some kind of challenge. And by having so many challenge-less moons it undermines the worth of the challenge moons.

It's like blowing flowers in DKCR.

Static Veins

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Finished the main story last night. Ending was incredible. What a game. This was my first time playing a 3D Mario game and I am entirely converted.

Onto the post-game!

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Finished it, great game but overall I think both Galxies and 64 are better.

My biggest gripe with Odyssey is that it took the worst aspect of BOTW and applied it to the whole game; ie the collectible power moons being everywhere with no real challenge or reward from collecting them. The game favors you doing countless little tasks such as simply talking to someone, a ground pound, collecting musical notes, etc - versus the more challenging platforming segments you needed to do in previous games to get a star. Not that this is a totally bad thing, as the constant collectibles make the game seem fast and always gives you something to do. I just wish they were utilized better. The (mostly) linear path of the rather few worlds was disappointing, I would have preferred a more traditional "collect x moons to unlock this world" vs collect x moons to leave and go to the next. Purple coins can be as challenging to get as moons sometimes but the rewards are purely cosmetic, which gives me little incentive to go out of my way to collect them. They should have been used to unlock sub areas in worlds or something.

Beyond that, there is almost zero difficulty curve in the game. Some of the later worlds weren't any more difficult than the early ones. The final bowser fight was only slightly harder than the first. The cool Bowser segment at the end slightly made up for it, but almost felt undeserved. There also was a strange lack of standard Mario worlds like a Boo/Haunted world, which I felt could have easily been done in the awesome Ruined Kingdom which wasn't utilized at all despite having great aesthetics.

The mechanics of the game are excellent however and probably the best of the series in that respect. Capturing enemies was the highlight of the game, and they mostly utilized it well. I would have liked to see more than one or two captures per area to unlock more complex platforming ideas but I can't complain too much. The 2D segments were fantastic, I think they could have been more creative though and brought some of the 3D features in 2D, like capturing a bullet bill in 2D would have been awesome.

korok seeds are only optional if you like being hamstrung with a ridiculously small inventory

The thing with Korok seeds though was that there wasn't a lot of diversity in terms of how you found them. Put this missing rock in the circle 200 times. Whereas with the moons in Odyssey, they come at you in an infinite amount of ways. In some cases its a more challenging objective that takes some times, some are easy puzzles, some are platforming challenges, some are experimentation, and some are hidden and like the feeling when you find a secret exit in SMW. Plus they make the worlds seem packed full, and less barren than SM64.

For purple coins I'm actually finding the cosmetic rewards to be really good. I absolutely love Mario's outfits way more than I thought I would. I've been anxious to get that first 15 or so purple coins to get the main outfit for the level everytime, and it feels like you get a lot for collecting them as opposed to just 1 star. Pretty sure I'm going to lose $100 or more down the line buy amiibos of Mario in all these outfits.

I think there is just going to be a difference of opinion for people who prefer the SM64, Sunshine, Odyssey style of the Galaxy/3D world style. I love them both, but so far Odyssey is just amazing for me. And in fairness, the sandbox Mario line and its fans was more due for a sequel.

Currygan

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely didn't find it until I revisited either. Looking back, seems obvious, there's a long line of people waiting at the theater. Maybe it only gets added after the festival or after you open the moon rock?
Gotta keep that in mind, thanks

Seaside Kingdom may be my fave til now, it's the most Mario of all. Plus, i love the sparkling water sound!

ThanksVision

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Odd to me how many people would be satisfied if the easier to find moons were like, moon shards or something different from the more challenging moons.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the main story last night. Ending was incredible. What a game. This was my first time playing a 3D Mario game and I am entirely converted.

Onto the post-game!

Awesome. You need to play the galaxy games. Trying to get my brother to buy it and a switch. He'll get a switch but says he's not into platforming games. My response is "Do you like the feeling of joy and fun?" Game defies genres for me.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Beat the final bonus level last night and damn that was amazing. This game is my new all time favorite, beating Zelda TP and BotW. What a masterpiece this game is.

Mad props to Koizumi and all the devs for creating such a masterpiece.

Currently at 500 moons and will get the rest sometime later for the final unlock and get a 100% save.

Did not have fun like this in years even not with BotW (also a masterpiece tho:P) i felt like a child again. The game is pure joy. It's like a Disney movie but then in game form.