• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What new character should they add to Smash?

• Goku

Votes: 467 34.0%
  • Anyone but Goku

Votes: 908 66.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 17, 2017
That's disappointing. I play Smash for the Nintendo characters but if any game character is on the menu the less known Nintendo characters will never get picked. I doubt we'd get some of the characters we have now if that was the case earlier in the series.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't think you people are interpreting this quote correctly, but I know it's not a battle I'm going to win

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Does ARMS have the kiss of death because of Spring Man's assist trophy? I found it odd that there isn't a single ARMS music track in the game. Even Wonderful 101 got that in the Wii U Smash Bros.

It is my deep hope that a not springman ARMS character is dlc to coincide with the graphic novel.

Wishful thinking: We get a completely new ARMS character alongside more dlc revealed for the game.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
Wishlist

Thomas from Kung-Fu!
Leon Kennedy. RE4/RE2 costumes thanks.
Banjo-Kazooie though I imagine they are just a Duck Hunt echo.
A Marvel character, only because of that Ultimate Alliance game that was announced. I know they aren't originally video game characters but this gives me slight hope. I guess Spiderman or Ironman can be the representative.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
That's disappointing. I play Smash for the Nintendo characters but if any game character is on the menu the less known Nintendo characters will never get picked. I doubt we'd get some of the characters we have now if that was the case earlier in the series.
To be fair, as mentioned before, there aren't many Nintendo options that would sell well as DLC & aren't already ruled out in some way.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bwhahahahahahaha

Boom. Suck it nintendo only peeps. Goku is getting in. Bring on Shrek too.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I wish that the bar for third party characters would remain high. All-time iconic characters only, like PAC-MAN, Ryu, Mega Man, Sonic, Snake, Cloud, etc. I feel like Bayonetta lowered the bar a lot but sort of gets a pass because she is kind of a Nintendo character now. But Joker is a bridge too far for me, I don't think he meets any of the criteria for inclusion.
Shin Megami Tensei has long running ties to Nintendo and Persona 5 is the highest selling game from the series with Joker easily being the best designed protagonist you could pick. Joker is basically a rep for SMT as a whole the way Cloud is for Final Fantasy.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Sakurai will always prioritize Smash Bros. if Nintendo asks about making one, but he doesn't guarantee that he'll be on the project forever. Currently, he's ready to kick back and wait another 10 years before another one
I like this. I really think Ultimate could have the legs to stew and really be mastered over a larger period of time. Besides, I'm loathe to think about passing this up for the next Smash which probably won't be as ambitious cast-wise.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
Exactly. I just wonder if we would get picks like Ness these days.
Earthbound was 5 years old at the time of Ness' inclusion. Old, but not too obscure a pick given the Hal connection. Plus he was intially supposed to be Lucas, so that would have been another Corrin-esque promotional choice had EB64 not been delayed and canned.

It's not exactly the same, but Shulk was a pick like Ness, given his game had a fanbase in the western market, but wasn't a sales powerhouse.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I really don't think you people are interpreting this quote correctly, but I know it's not a battle I'm going to win
Bar you talking about what Sakurai said in Japanese originally. I think I know what you are alluding to and I agree lol. Cause I think the actual important statement from Sakurai was the second sentence of the last quote in the OP.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Said it before and I'll say it 10,000 more times.

-Goemon
-Sir Arthur from Ghouls n Ghosts
-Billy and Jimmy from Double Dragon
-Bill and Lance from Contra
-Ryu Hayabusa from not only the classic Ninja Gaiden, but the modern ones too

Those deserve it most.

Now this is a good list.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Shin Megami Tensei has long running ties to Nintendo and Persona 5 is the highest selling game from the series with Joker easily being the best designed protagonist you could pick. Joker is basically a rep for SMT as a whole the way Cloud is for Final Fantasy.
Not a great comparison since SMT is super niche compared to FF. I don't think SMT is big enough to warrant any rep at all.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
This Goku meme is getting really insufferable. At least the previous meme picks were actually somewhat reasonable.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Not a great comparison since SMT is super niche compared to FF. I don't think SMT is big enough to warrant any rep at all.
It absolutely is big enough, or at the very least was big enough. Granted Joker does fill the SMT slot already being an Atlus rep in general, but I think if we didn't Joker we would probably get Jack Frost or Demi-Fiend.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
They'd never add Goku when he already has several fighting games of his own, one of which is fairly new.

Same reason 2B or Geralt won't be in Smash. They've already been claimed for Soul Calibur.

Pirate Bae

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Honestly I'd really like to see someone from Overwatch or World of Warcraft, but I know Blizzard is very stingy with their IP liscencing so I'm not holding my breath.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
3065028-tomba____tombi____3d_render_by_paperbandicoot-dah8dde.png

I'm not biased at all.

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
reminder that Legend of Zelda series had a ton of great potential characters that were all wasted as assist trophies and instead we get 3 Links, a clone Ganondorf, and Zelda and Sheik

also RIP Rex and Pyra i guess.

Pirate Bae

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
reminder that Legend of Zelda series had a ton of great potential characters that were all wasted as assist trophies and instead we get 3 Links, a clone Ganondorf, and Zelda and Sheik

also RIP Rex and Pyra i guess.
Tbh I'm surprised they didn't add any of the champions from BotW as fighters.

Deleted member 19782

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
richtofen_for_smash_bros_by_azelfandquilava_dcp08pn-pre.jpg

Considering how popular and the staple Call of Duty represents in the gaming community, I wonder how long it will take for it to finally have a rep in Smash.

Meowmixez

ESS ESS DEE
Oct 27, 2017
Please add Goemon and Ebisimaru from Mystical Ninja, Konami.

Look them up guys. They would be a perfect fit!

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And I agree with him in that aspect. It's obvious that Nintendo characters will continue to be added but third party franchises should as well. Even if to me those should have a history with Nintendo consoles.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does Mike Tyson count as third party? Would solve the lack of a Punch Out villain ;)

Know it won't happen due to his jail time but I'm curious what his likeness fetches these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.