Are we going to see Nintendo character getting in Smash Bros via DLC?

• Yes!!!

Votes: 90 59.6%
  • No...

Votes: 61 40.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I hate to jump to the same conclusion as everyone but the question should be asked.

How pissed off will people be if Tracer does get into Smash? Mind you she would be the newest Female character we've had since Isabelle and her Time abilities would actually be awesome to see in action in Smash.

But on the flip side, I can see Tracer killing off so many characters if she was confirmed.
Crash and/or Spyro? Well, it is "ACTIVISION-Blizzard" so that could hurt a few things there.
First-person Shooter? Say bye-bye, to doomguy! (and I guess Master Chief too, but we already wrote him off)
And while there's a very good chance we could see two female characters in the fighter's pass, that could be written off as unlikely. Honestly, though, two female characters back to back in Smash would be rather cool to see.

Either way, it does seem so weird to start thinking that Tracer's chances of getting in just skyrocketed from low percentages to "pretty good possibility" just by this one leak.
Yeah all the character supporters you'd mentioned would be pissed. Especially Crash fans. This is also with Overwatch not being as well regarded in certain internet circles.

On top of that if her reveal is with an Overwatch port announcement it's absolutely going to get accusations of the character "buying" her way in or just being derided for being a marketing pick. With that said I think people would get over it and there would be way more happy with her reveal than not especially with her being a recognizable character worldwide. No one can say Tracer is really an unrecognizable character

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Honestly, Tracer.

Say, isn't Overwatch's cast unionized? That could create issues with reprisals and the whatnot with Ultimate's non-union status.
Yeah, it would cause issues. Though I suppose you could go the Sonic/Lucina/Snake route & just use old lines. Either that or Blizzard somehow foots the bill to get Cara Theobold back, but she'd need to be uncredited.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If Tracer gets in it may be her killing off the chances of any western picks. I'd love the last 2 spots to go to western characters but that is incredibly unlikely. lol

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it would cause issues. Though I suppose you could go the Sonic/Lucina/Snake route & just use old lines.
Could they have her and some of the cast say lines for a potential trailer?

With that said I could see her not needing many new lines. There should be a cavalcade of Tracer lines they can pull for English

If Tracer gets in it may be her killing off the chances of any western picks. I'd love the last 2 spots to go to western characters but that is incredibly unlikely. lol
That's the case with any pick. Like might as well say Banjo killed off any potential for Western picks. If anything it's surprising we got another one considering how Japanese leaning Smash is

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
I love how some of you are so thirsty you'd jump onto any leaks no matter how dubious haha.
Let me go write something anonymous on 4chan which states the remaining characters are geno and a tetris block.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

With that said I could see her not needing many new lines. There should be a cavalcade of Tracer lines they can pull for English
Like I said, they could if Blizzard foots the VA bill like Marvel did for MUA3. But since Smash Ultimate is already a non-union endeavor, they'd have to go uncredited (see Laura Bailey).

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've actually had D.Va in the back of my mind for a while now. I think she'd be super interesting adapted to Smash - just the basic "Tank D.Va <--> Baby D.Va" dynamic. It would be like the whole Samus <--> Zero Suit Samus thing from Brawl, but like, a lot more interesting.

Her default tank form would have all sort of tricks. Really short range melee attacks, but her default canons as her Neutral B, her shield as a Down B, her missiles for a Side B, and a CRAZY good recovery via the rocket boosters for her Up B. That, combined with being incredibly tanky, with lots of super armor and the like.

But once you rack up enough damage, she ejects and you have to run around as regular D.Va for a while. Everything is super weak, just melee attacks and her light gun. If you rack up enough damage, you can use her Down B to summon a new mech.

It'd be great! So much more interesting than most of the cast, whose gimmicks aren't as unique in a Smash context.

Yeah, it would cause issues. Though I suppose you could go the Sonic/Lucina/Snake route & just use old lines. Either that or Blizzard somehow foots the bill to get Cara Theobold back, but she'd need to be uncredited.

If I recall, back during Brawl's development, didn't Sakurai state he and Nintendo had to get special permission from SAG-AFTRA to get the Metal Gear voice actors to reprise their roles? Highly doubt the union would be open to that option now, but it would be very interesting if they manage pull off the same thing.

If I recall, SAG-AFTRA requires the whole production (trailer recordings included) to be unionized in order to get the voice actors. Someone who is familiar with the dealings can correct me if I am wrong.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
I hate to jump to the same conclusion as everyone but the question should be asked.

How pissed off will people be if Tracer does get into Smash? Mind you she would be the newest Female character we've had since Isabelle and her Time abilities would actually be awesome to see in action in Smash.

But on the flip side, I can see Tracer killing off so many characters if she was confirmed.
Crash and/or Spyro? Well, it is "ACTIVISION-Blizzard" so that could hurt a few things there.
First-person Shooter? Say bye-bye, to doomguy! (and I guess Master Chief too, but we already wrote him off)
And while there's a very good chance we could see two female characters in the fighter's pass, that could be written off as unlikely. Honestly, though, two female characters back to back in Smash would be rather cool to see.

Either way, it does seem so weird to start thinking that Tracer's chances of getting in just skyrocketed from low percentages to "pretty good possibility" just by this one leak.

Just search up Tracer on Twitter and you can already see dudes are raging mad.

would you guys rather have tracer or steve?

Both are fine but Tracer would be better. Her blink and recall ability would be fun to see in Smash.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Anyway some people have asked about what Overwatch could offer for music but low key I think Overwatch might have some of the most underrated music of this generation. The real problem with Overwatch music is that it's often for the map jingles which are pretty short but alot of them are great. The problem would be adapting and elongating them to work in Smash.

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017

Ardnegan

Banned
Jun 2, 2019
99% of the roster is Japanese and since SNK is not represented at all, I'm thinking either Athena, Mai or Fio.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If I recall, back during Brawl's development, didn't Sakurai state he and Nintendo had to get special permission from SAG-AFTRA to get the Metal Gear voice actors to reprise their roles? Highly doubt the union would be open to that option now, but it would be very interesting if they manage pull off the same thing.

If I recall, SAG-AFTRA requires the whole production (trailer recordings included) to be unionized in order to get the voice actors. Someone who is familiar with the dealings can correct me if I am wrong.
Honestly, Nintendo of America should be unionizing their games anyway, especially for big games like Smash. All they do by going non-union is cause problems (see Cloud).

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Why are people saying D. Va for Smash? Been seeing that a few times over at various locations and really, I can't figure that one out. If we had to make a legit guess at who the Overwatch rep would be if it wasn't Tracer, the easy guess would be Genji. Besides the obvious moves you would give a swordsman (and to piss off people who keep complaining about "too many sword users"), Genji is kind of the 2nd face of Overwatch to Tracer. You are welcome to argue that point, but If the Overwatch League uses Tracers and Contenders uses Genji (and how both of them got their fancy "Super legendary skins" for Season 1), it would make sense for Genji to take the slot.

But yeah, pretty sure if it was one of the two, Tracer likely would take it.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
SmashEra after the September Direct:

852450.jpg

854553.jpg

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Tracer is actually at 12%, though (unlikely, but at least remotely possible). D.Va is legitimately at 0%.
I would've thought she had a fringe chance before the whole Overwatch deal today but with the knowledge of a Switch port potentially being announced at the next Direct I would probably bump it to like 40%.

I could see Nintendo really pushing the Overwatch port as a big deal especially in a Direct where they'd have to inevitably answer the question of why Switch owners should renew their NSO subs. A huge focus on Overwatch as a flagship title for potentially the end of the year would work. This wouldn't be the first time Nintendo and Blizzard cooperated over a port. In fact this isn't even the first time Nintendo did all this for a port for this DLC selection alone

Honestly, Nintendo of America should be unionizing their games anyway, especially for big games like Smash. All they do by going non-union is cause problems (see Cloud).
Yeah, it's a shame that the whole voice actor controversy and bombing of Codename Steam scared Nintendo from utilizing union actors. The dream of seeing the likes of Steve Blum, Kari Wahlgren, Crispin Freeman, Jennifer Hale, Tara Strong, Troy Baker, and other prominent voice actors in Fire Emblem might take a while...

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People talking about percentages here are crazy. There is no single character with more than a 10% chance. Like, you can argue that maybe companies have something in the 40-50% range (like, there's a 40% chance that Character 4 or 5 is from Capcom, sure, that sounds about right), but there's enough possibilities within each company that no single individual has a 1-in-10 chance of being included. Maybe Heihachi. MAYBE.

I think it's pretty weird that Lara Croft isn't discussed very often, especially when theoretically far less plausible characters like Master Chief and Doomguy come up all the time.

Lara technically being owned by Square-Enix seems to be what's keeping her support low. If SE got another character in, most people figure it would be Sora or Geno or whoever - one of their Japanese properties.

But I'd be all over Lara. Preferably her classic design, but I'd be fine with either/both.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's pretty weird that Lara Croft isn't discussed very often, especially when theoretically far less plausible characters like Master Chief and Doomguy come up all the time.
Her biggest problem is being owned by Square-Enix.

And we all know that no one wants to entertain the idea of one company getting 2 characters in the pass.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Yeah, it's a shame that the whole voice actor controversy and bombing of Codename Steam scared Nintendo from utilizing union actors. The dream of seeing the likes of Steve Blum, Kari Wahlgren, Crispin Freeman, Jennifer Hale, Tara Strong, Troy Baker, and other prominent voice actors in Fire Emblem might take a while...

One game bombing is not the reason Nintendo dropped Unions. The reasoning is greed. Why pay your talent good money when their are loads of people willing to do the work for cheap?

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Her biggest problem is being owned by Square-Enix.

And we all know that no one wants to entertain the idea of one company getting 2 characters in the pass.
True but she also brought up Master Chief so that's not exactly a good defense. I say this as someone who gives no fucks about Laura Croft

GarudaSmash

Sep 12, 2018
I would absolutely welcome Lara Croft. Like everyone else says, Square Enix holds her back so I'm not getting my hopes up.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The Adam Baldwin situation wasn't really something NoA could see coming, but it's a shame if that scared them off. But for situations like Chris Niosi, better background checks could help alleviate their concerns.

One game bombing is not the reason Nintendo dropped Unions. The reasoning is greed. Why pay your talent good money when their are loads of people willing to do the work for cheap?
While greed probably played a role, the Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. was likely the final nail in the coffin.

Kari Wahlgren and Tara Strong got into The Wonderful 101. Proof that Nintendo values W101 more than Fire Emblem.
That was before Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. bombed. Also, PlatinumGames actually gets union VAs on occasion.

Considering that Fire Emblem: Awakening, a non-unionized production, did better commercially than unionized productions like The Wonderful 101 and Codename Steam, that probably solidified Nintendo's decision to go non-union. The only exception, of course, was Kid Icarus Uprising.

I wonder when we can get another Nintendo game with a unionized English cast. WarioWare Gold was a huge missed opportunity to bring in union actors.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
Yea seriously. Everyone keeps swearing off leaks, and then jumps on them again.
I think its a mixture of being bored + personal take on the potential character. Which is fine and all - but its better to take a skeptical look at these kinds of stuff. Especially those that aren't backed by anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.