• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are we going to see Nintendo character getting in Smash Bros via DLC?

• Yes!!!

Votes: 90 59.6%
  • No...

Votes: 61 40.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyway the two other main things I took away at least from that excerpt is we can hopefully drop the "Sakurai picked the characters" theorycrafting if he's still insisting on it well after Atlus and Square commented on their inclusions (wonder whether they put the onus of negotiating the character on him which is where the "realizable" element may play a part), and that Nintendo has some pretty good taste when it comes to picks. So if they're still tailoring the next DLC selection?

0SLcM44.jpg

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah in Japan, Fatal Fury is called Garou Densetsu (which roughly translates to Legend of the Hungry Wolf)

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

So is this another case of Sakurai down-playing his involvement in the selection process? Then again, I'm not sure if we'll get another statement from Doug Bowser on Smash DLC.

Anyway the two other main things I took away at least from that excerpt is we can hopefully drop the "Sakurai picked the characters" theorycrafting if he's still insisting on it well after Atlus and Square commented on their inclusions (wonder whether they put the onus of negotiating the character on him which is where the "realizable" element may play a part), and that Nintendo has some pretty good taste when it comes to picks. So if they're still tailoring the next DLC selection?

0SLcM44.jpg
Some of the debate also came from what Reggie said.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I'm struggling to stay awake for the full article translation, so I guess i'll see Era's remains when I wake up.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So more third parties look like a go? Still fine either way. Nintendo still has to collab with square for Geno, so that doesn't deconfirm anything.

Or collab is just referring to different game series in general, in which 1st parties are still viable. Who knows.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
It does seem like we're going to get more third-parties, especially with Sakurai reiterating the point about Nintendo making the selections. It also makes a ton of sense. Guests are exciting and would probably outsell anything else.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Characters with one game in their series added to Smash:

Ice Climbers
Duck Hunt
Shulk*

This is why Astral Chain feels like an unlikely pull to me at this point even if we get first-party DLC.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I wonder if we'll hit third party saturation where the novelty of "oh my god, this character can fight this character" will wear off

I'm already sorta there, to be honest.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Remember a quote from Nintendo President

This information comes from Nintendo president Shuntaro Furukawa…

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate will be released in December.
This title will be the largest-ever game in the Smash Bros. series in every aspect, with an overwhelming amount of content, bringing together famous franchises' characters in what will be the gaming industry's one of the greatest collaboration titles. What sets the Smash Bros. series apart is that the basic rules and operations of the game are very simple, yet for those who want to pursue the game it offers a real depth of gameplay. The games are welcoming, since people who seldom play have a good chance of witnessing the appearance of certain elements they recognize, so we are working to spark the interest of a wide range of consumers, and not just fans of the Smash Bros. series.
The Smash Bros. series titles are special to our company because it is the place where the characters of Nintendo's main titles come together. Many consumers discover Nintendo games they never knew about through the Smash Bros. series, so if Smash Bros. is spread wide across our consumer base, it will, by extension, also enhance the appeal of our overall IP.

So that's probably why they want to draw another franchises' fans to become more familiar with Nintendo franchises or games. SO MORE THIRD PARTY!

That's probably what Nintendo are doing right now and allows Sakurai to pick certain characters as he deemed it to fitting in Smash Bros Universe.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if we'll hit third party saturation where the novelty of "oh my god, this character can fight this character" will wear off

I feel like we just started to dip ours toes into it by time Smash 4 & 5. Ultimate we are now just soaking it in.

But I don't think it will ever die really.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe for you, but nope for me and some friends I know. Some of them become more interested in Smash Bros when they realized that we are going to get more third party characters via DLC so they were hoping to see the characters become realized in Smash Bros.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the novelty of "whoooahhh third party picks" already kind of wore off for me around the time they added Pac-Man and Ryu.

I wasn't super hyped about Hero being added, but that doesn't mean it was without its merits.

Doesn't mean they haven't continued to sweep me off my feet in multiple ways like Bayonetta, Banjo and Terry. All this has just done is open up the pool for a lot more possible deep cuts and fan requests.

I'll probably keep being okay with third party picks up until I finally get Travis.

And maybe Sol...

And maybe Viewtiful Joe....

and maybe Phoenix Wright....

and maybe Doomguy.....
and maybe Arle..
and maybe.......

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So if the trend continues with new industry collaborations, I guess these are some options that could be picked.

Ryu Hayabusa - Koei Tecmo
Professor Layton / Jibanyan - Level 5
Sol Badguy - Arc System Works
Travis Touchdown - Grasshopper Manufacture
Sora - Disney
Crash Bandicoot - Activision
Tracer - Blizzard
Doomslayer - Bethesda / Id
Lara Croft - Eidos
Steve - Mojang
Geralt - CDPR

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
The novelty of third party picks will never wear off for me. Any time I see a match in Smash that's something like Joker vs. Cloud or Banjo vs. Sonic or Pac-Man vs. Hero or Ryu vs. Bayonetta or something to that effect, I generally think "Wow, this is actually something real that is happening in Super Smash Bros."

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
It's not surprising they'd continue to focus on 3rd party picks.

The Nintendo characters that don't make it in can always come back around for the next Smash game.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017

Honestly, the magic will never wear off for me. My consciousness formed in the midst of the SEGA/Nintendo console war so Sonic and Mario hanging out together is still really cool to me. Smash Bros is a miracle I'll always appreciate.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Honestly, the magic will never wear off for me. My consciousness formed in the midst of the SEGA/Nintendo console war so Sonic and Mario hanging out together is still really cool to me. Smash Bros is a miracle I'll always appreciate.
I think maybe it's because there aren't too many third party series left that I've played that aren't in Smash

Just like... the Elder Scrolls and Valve's games. The latter aren't getting in, so I'm just going to have to go along with the ride like I did for Smash 4 DLC.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I think maybe it's because there aren't too many third party series left that I've played that aren't in Smash

Just like... the Elder Scrolls and Valve's games. The latter aren't getting in, so I'm just going to have to go along with the ride like I did for Smash 4 DLC.

I think I'm more excited about it because I branched our into many franchises so it does feel like a special occasions for both franchises when they made the collaboration.

Even we just got 14th third party characters but I'm still excited about potential crossovers. Hopefully they would deliver.

Status
Not open for further replies.