• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where do you think Challenger #5 would be revealed at?

• During Terry's Promo Video

Votes: 79 23.5%
  • During the Game Award

Votes: 194 57.7%
  • During the next Nintendo Direct

Votes: 44 13.1%
  • During a special stand-alone live stream

Votes: 19 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Hayabusa honestly wouldn't be a bad pick to cap off the pass, whether any leaks for him are accurate or not. I certainly wouldn't call him inevitable, though.

In before Thanos memes.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Just the way the fighters pass has gone Hayabusa makes a lot of sense, I wouldn't be surprised if he was character #5, leak or not.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
The moment Terry was revealed I knew deep down that Hayabusa was probably going to be next -- not because of any alleged leaks, but because of the general nature of the Fighters Pass. It just feels right to me.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think Hayabusa still has a good shot DLC 5 or not but I don't believe the leak.

Plant info doesn't seem that impressive looking back as we had an Era user that was shown Plant before the Final Direct and I'm suspicious of someone that had info from the QA leak and only now talked about DLC but not for any character before

So I don't believe Hayabusa is DLC5 definitively but it wouldn't shock me even if I would personally find it disappointing after how much he's been talked about. If nothing else we could move on to better characters for Season 2 and beyond

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I know I'm the Ninja Gaiden guy in these threads, but can I admit my apprehension? I'm not gonna believe it until Hayabusa is actually confirmed.

I've always kind of thought of Hayabusa as a bit of a dark horse candidate. So it's definitely weird to me seeing him being treated as the front runner, lol.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know I'm the Ninja Gaiden guy in these threads, but can I admit my apprehension? I'm not gonna believe it until Hayabusa is actually confirmed.

I've always kind of thought of Hayabusa as a bit of a dark horse candidate. So it's definitely weird to me seeing him being treated as the front runner, lol.

In times of trouble do what I do with Geno.

Jump up and down screaming "hard lock! hard lock!" and post dabbing gifs whenever someone has anything contrary to say.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Jump up and down screaming "hard lock! hard lock!" and post dabbing gifs whenever someone has anything contrary to say.

The thing about Hayabusa as a character is that he is so deadly serious that it's comedic. So something like that doesn't really work for him, lol.

wildvine47

Feb 20, 2018
As nice as it is to see all the Hayabusa positivity, let's not forget that just a few months ago RE and Heihachi were the definites in discussion, and now it's looking like we won't get either, at least in this pass. He's definitely not an open and shut case just yet. In a month's time we could all be talking about how Scorpion was the obvious and inevitable choice all along instead after he ends up getting leaked.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017

It's weird in a hindsight. I suggested Hayabusa as one of potential third party character during early Ultimate speculation. I had some people telling me that he wasn't even a big deal So he wouldn't be in Smash and Ninja Gaiden wasn't necessary to be one of last NES titles franchises because it was highly regards as one of those difficult game but not as iconic franchise or nes titles.

Here we are.

It's kinda weird to see those reactions now. Because of that; I still considers him as a dark horse pick.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's weird in a hindsight. I suggested Hayabusa as one of potential third party character during early Ultimate speculation. I had some people telling me that he wasn't even a big deal So he wouldn't be in Smash and Ninja Gaiden wasn't necessary to be one of last NES titles franchises because it was highly regards as one of those difficult game but not as iconic franchise or nes titles.

Here we are.

It's kinda weird to see those reactions now. Because of that; I still considers him as a dark horse pick.

I wonder if the first thought from the Smash Era regulars, should Hayabusa actually be confirmed, is something along the lines of "K finally got his guy", lol.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017

Here we are.

Even though I think Hayabusa is likely and fully warranted as a Smash character, my stance on Ninja Gaiden hasn't changed. I think Nintendo wanting a Koei Tecmo character will have been the driving force behind his inclusion.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Hayabasa bores me, but I don't hate him. I'd take him over Steve or Master Chief any day.

I'd be pretty annoyed if he were the final DLC character tho, especially since Sakurai spoiled me with Joker, Hero, and Banjo and I set my expectations too high, but since there's going to be more characters, I'm fine with him getting in since I'll still be able to keep hoping for the likes of Kiryu, Geno, and Phoenix Wright.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly at this point, I'm more interested in seeing who the first DLC character after the Fighters Pass is than seeing who the last FP character is.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

Here we are.

my headcanon is that something changed after banjo. Like now we are getting reps of companies not reps of games.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
For me it often comes down to the stage. Luckily the DLC has been full of winners.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly at this point, I'm more interested in seeing who the first DLC character after the Fighters Pass is than seeing who the last FP character is.

I think people want to know what the plan is for future DLC characters. Are they going to be released piecemeal? Are we going to get another Fighters Pass? What about stages? Is there any hope for a new 1st party rep or will they all be third party again? (Plant excluded on that last one, of course.)

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Hayabusa is overqualified. He's a Famicon/NES legend, and has critically acclaimed 3D titles as well. He has a super-recognizable design that stands out on the Smash roster, and a wealth of moveset potential. He reps a new franchise, and a new developer/publisher — one that has worked closely with Nintendo for awhile now. And can you imagine Kirby wearing his mask, lol?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't be mad at Hayabusa with more DLC coming, character 5 is probably the best place to put him with how tepid the reception to the character seems to be in most places.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I don't think Hayabusa would be included simply to represent Koei Tecmo on the roster, that's silly.

He's a NES star. Nintendo probably see it that way too, considering that Ninja Gaiden is always re-released wherever NES games are available.

For me it often comes down to the stage. Luckily the DLC has been full of winners.
That KoF Tournament stage doesn't look too interesting to me so far. Definitely below the other three.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
The thing about Hayabusa as a character is that he is so deadly serious that it's comedic. So something like that doesn't really work for him, lol.
I've always liked this part in gamingbrit's video lol (around 12:40):

Or this comment in his NG2 video:
In Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, God Hand, ect., the protagonist is made wacky and crazy while the world is at least semi-serious.
But in Ninja Gaiden, the world is made wacky and crazy while Ryu is serious at all times.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Joker was an amazing surprise inclusion and Banjo-Kazooie is literally a 20 year pipe dream in the making. Meanwhile I'm mostly indifferent to Hero and Terry (although I have massive respect for Dragon Quest's legacy), so while Hayabusa wouldn't be as exciting as Joker and Banjo it would give me something to latch onto, as I have thought he should be in Smash for a long time and I like the Ninja Gaiden games (well, the NES ones, anyway). Whereas I've either been hyped for the DLC (Joker), omega-hyped (Banjo), respectful (Hero), or indifferent (Terry), Hayabusa would be more of a "oh, sweet" kind of deal. Not a showstopping inclusion but a character I'd be happy to see and have wanted to see for some time.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Hayabusa would be included simply to represent Koei Tecmo on the roster, that's silly.

He's a NES star. Nintendo probably see it that way too, considering that Ninja Gaiden is always re-released wherever NES games are available.

That KoF Tournament stage doesn't look too interesting to me so far. Definitely below the other three.
Just wait until like a minute into the fight when the KOF arena is utterly destroyed by the power of an enraged blood god.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Joker was an amazing surprise inclusion and Banjo-Kazooie is literally a 20 year pipe dream in the making. Meanwhile I'm mostly indifferent to Hero and Terry (although I have massive respect for Dragon Quest's legacy), so while Hayabusa wouldn't be as exciting as Joker and Banjo it would give me something to latch onto, as I have thought he should be in Smash for a long time and I like the Ninja Gaiden games (well, the NES ones, anyway). Whereas I've either been hyped for the DLC (Joker), omega-hyped (Banjo), respectful (Hero), or indifferent (Terry), Hayabusa would be more of a "oh, sweet" kind of deal. Not a showstopping inclusion but a character I'd be happy to see and have wanted to see for some time.
To each their own. I'm way more hyped about Hayabusa than anyone else bar Hero.
Joker didn't make much sense past the shock value, and Banjo was overhyped.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this is the third time I've seen someone ride the coattails of a Hayabusa rumor. It's starting to get tired. Some random nobody isn't going to strengthen the veracity of it at this point without having more details to chew on.

Also I feel like Geno is the kind of character we would've heard of by now from more veritable leakers if there really is concrete info out there. I kind of find it hard to believe development has even started in earnest on the first post-FP character given that Terry is probably being wrapped up and Character 5 is most likely not coming out until late December or early January, and still has a couple of months or so of work left in the tank.

For the most of the part, the murmurs of an additional Square rep was such a tightly locked down ship that didn't really surface until development materials started rearing their head, and it wasn't until a lot of post-datamine debate when we had one person come out and say straight up that Hero was on the docket. It seems odd that we have an actual name we can attach now for a character we likely won't even know until a couple months into the next year.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
To each their own. I'm way more hyped about Hayabusa than anyone else bar Hero.
Joker didn't make much sense past the shock value, and Banjo was overhyped.

I mean, they're the most demanded Smash characters of the last 20 years. I don't think it's possible to overhype that.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I don't want the next dlc fighter to be Hayabasa. cause I'll miss randomly popping into this thread to see posters going "come on Hayabasa I can feel it this time!"

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Also I feel like Geno is the kind of character we would've heard of by now if he really is going to be right after him. I kind of find it hard to believe development has even started in earnest on the first post-FP character given that Terry is probably being wrapped up and Character 5 is most likely not coming out until late December or early January.
Remember; they started developing three characters around the same time in December. I think they would probably keep up a similar development schedule from that point, no? Think of it like this:
  • Work on Joker, Hero and Banjo & Kazooie begins following the game going gold; the former taking precedence as they release first.
  • Joker is complete; Hero becomes priority; Terry begins early development.
  • Hero is complete; Banjo & Kazooie becomes priority; CP5 begins early development.
  • Banjo & Kazooie is complete; Terry becomes priority; CP6 begins early development.
  • Terry is complete; CP5 becomes priority; CP7 begins early development.
With this logic, they would have three characters in development at the end of this year going into the next, just like they had in 2018.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I will say that, knowing in all likelihood that Banjo's reveal would come at the end of Nintendo's E3 video, seeing the Banjo stans overworked by Shinobi's leak and a week of up-and-down speculation melt the fuck down at Hero was pretty funny.

wildvine47

Feb 20, 2018
Wishful thinking lol
Guilty as charged!

I do think that if Scorpion were to be confirmed though that a lot of people who previously called him impossible would do a p quick heel turn.

As for Hayabusa, he's definitely a great and deserving pick in my book. Strong legacy that goes back to the NES era, untapped company with ever-increasing Nintendo ties, boatloads of moveset potential, and a great unique design that'd stand out amongst the cast. I really hope he does end up making the cut, if not as #5, then in the post-pass DLC. I'm pretty confident in his chances though. He's one of the characters I don't think we'll see Ultimate end without, alongside Crash and Geno.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I will say that, knowing in all likelihood that Banjo's reveal would come at the end of Nintendo's E3 video, seeing the Banjo stans overworked by Shinobi's leak and a week of up-and-down speculation melt the fuck down at Hero was pretty funny.

A lot of that was because Sakurai made it seem like we were only gonna gonna get one reveal at E3 this year.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Unless you were clever like me and notice that:
  1. The Smash website hadn't updated throughout the entirety of the Direct.
  2. Sakurai literally spoiled it by tweeting this after the Hero announcement:

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
People demanding them
Which people, how many people? That's my question.
So often some people just pull out a random poll from one community, or a random old gamefaqs thread to show there was demand (for a few pages), when we had the Smash Ballot (that Bayonetta won and which implied some other characters to be really high), and Sakurai talked about Ridley being the most asked for character for a long time as well.

Since when has Banjo been the most demanded character for 20 years? When even Geno got more forum posts and threads about him if you go far back?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Most demanded by which metric?

They were one of the most requested characters in the Smash 2 poll and Sakurai himself said they were a very popular request and that is why they are in the game. I don't think this one is up for much debate, lol.

People were calling for Hero's head and couldn't even wait for the Direct to end. Pretty silly.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Hayabasa bores me, but I don't hate him. I'd take him over Steve or Master Chief any day.

(There are no gifs of Master Chief dabbing, so have this instead)

giphy.gif

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Remember; they started developing three characters around the same time in December. I think they would probably keep up a similar development schedule from that point, no?

A lot of this speculation really depends on how long these characters were held out on. When Smash released, they were only developing two characters based on the datamine, which was Joker and Hero. Plant wasn't released yet at that point but it was clear he was a holdover from the base roster that was ostensibly 95% complete when they were ready to show him.

Considering the datamine was largely obtained from pre-launch day versions it's safe to say that said parameters were in the game around the time the game would've gone gold, which suggests Joker and Hero were in development since around November, so they alternate developing two characters while putting the third in pre-production during what's essentially the debug phase/holding pattern for a finished character (this pattern works for Banjo as well, since he would presumably enter development after Joker was completed and he wouldn't release until September). That's still extremely early for any information on who the first post-FP character is imo, as I'd assume they'll only really go into full production on that in November. I'd be really surprised if Geno's slipped out since then, as even back during the negotiation speculations, the only thing we knew about Hero before production leaks was "yeah Nintendo talked to Square".

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
They were one of the most requested characters in the Smash 2 poll and Sakurai himself said they were a very popular request and that is why they are in the game. I don't think this one is up for much debate, lol.
The poll that had James Bond above Banjo-Kazooie, Toad at the same level, and had about 10 votes per character?

The post I was replying to was declaring them as "the most demanded character in 20 years", which sorry, there's no proof of (especially with characters like Ridley asked for since Melee, and most "big" characters asked after 64 being put in the game in Melee).

Status
Not open for further replies.