Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DT9 | News, Site Updates, and Speculation | The Day the Music Died

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Assault was more or less what you’d want from a star fox 64 sequel. It just skewed too much towards third person shooter sections. Tighten up the 3rd person shooter mechanics and make the game a better balance between on foot only, arwing only, and the hybrid missions where you go between and you’d have a fantastic star fox game.
Assault is fantastic, it just needed to be like twice as long.

Oct 25, 2017
No branching paths and being able to select any stage once you beat the game really hurt it’s replayability.
Yeah, it really needed that. The core gameplay is tons of fun and the variety in the missions is fantastic, but by the time you get into it the whole game is already over.

And Adventures should have remained Dinosaur Planet so we could all agree it was actually awesome.

Oct 25, 2017
I remember when Adventures came out, one kid in my class was creepily obsessed with Krystal. He'd constantly be drawing her and talking about her beauty.

It was my first exposure to someone with a waifu. That game + Space Jam probably created an entire generation of furries.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
...do you pronounce it "cruel?"

Literally everyone pronounces it "kay rule"
This actually isn't technically true. In the Japanese games it actually is pronounced Cruel (well, Kuruuru), including the Japanese version of Smash. The TV show would also sometimes go with an in-between pronunciation for some reason, something like "kuhrool".

Oct 25, 2017
Assault had some good stuff going for it, and I think an Assault 2 or whatever would be able to better thread the needle between on-foot and vehicular gameplay (or better than Zero did, at least)

Oct 27, 2017
Part of me wants Sakurai to add an original character to Smash.

What would it even be? How would the community react?
I have a better idea!

Introducing... Master Mind!

He is a humanoid figure in similar body frame to a certain subspace entity, with a purplish galaxy-textured skin tone and glowing pure white eyes. As he enters the battle, he opens his hidden, shining, pure white mouth to make his iconic Master Hand laugh. He wields the powers of Master Hand and Crazy Hand, hovering above his shoulders, performing techniques similar to the Master Hand and Crazy Hand bosses. They start out very small in size, but the furious Master Mind gets, the bigger the mighty hands grow. His final smash is the "Master Catastrophe," where the head of the Master Beast rips through his stomach, grabs nearby foes with its giant maw, and pulls them inside his body. Inside Master Mind, they are met with Master Core on the verge of exploding while the victims are being rapidly sliced to pieces by Master Edges, then explosively headbutted by Master Giant, and instantly obliterated by the Master Core's self-destruction, after which a new core is generated and Master Mind reshapes himself back to normal.

Master Mind is a proud spectator who lives for the thrill of a good fight, and would love nothing more than to participate in the ultimate smashing himself.

Fans always wanted to control Master Hand, right? This is the most balanced way they could do it!

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
This actually isn't technically true. In the Japanese games it actually is pronounced Cruel (well, Kuruuru), including in Smash. The TV show would also sometimes go with an in-between pronunciation, something like "kuhrool".
hearing the smash announcer say "King Cruel" was so off putting

Jul 20, 2018
Star Fox has the problem where they keep making weird spinoffs instead of the successor to 64, so good games like Adventures and Assault get unfairly maligned.

Of course they eventually outright remade 64 in Zero and it sucked so who knows.
The problem with Adventures, for me, was less that it wasn't like SF64 and more that it wasn"t nearly as good as Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask. I really like the concept itself, but I found the game lacking.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm super excited for Star Fox Grand Prix.

Retro is excellent in world-building with Metroid and DKC. I really think they'll do something special in building the world of Star Fox.

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with Adventures, for me, was less that it wasn't like SF64 and more that it wasn"t nearly as good as Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask. I really like the concept itself, but I found the game lacking.
Well yeah it probably won't be as good as the most heralded game of all time and its far better successor, but it was still a solid, beautiful action-adventure game in a unique sci-fi fantasy setting. It was still perfectly enjoyable, and would have been more so had it not carried the Star Fox name back when the franchise wasn't the joke it is now.

Oct 30, 2017
Two syllables =/= two words. Mario is a tri-syllabic name, for example.

No one reads ' K. Rool' As "His first name starts with a K and his last name is Rool" They read it as his name being "K. Rool."
The punctuation indicates it's a name, and in an interview with the creator it's to make him seem more important, and while it doesn't actually have one, he said it'd likely be Kremlin, or something obtuse like Kevin.

Feb 27, 2018
Most people expected him in Melee and Brawl and most people were just sick of the people who wanted him taking up half the oxygen in the room during 3DS/Wii U. Like that guy who people post the video of who went on a raving mad rant about Dixie and who started a pro-K. Rool group with the initials KKK on Smashboards.

You know that the Kremling Kutthroats thing is actually a DKC2 name, right?

Around 3:00

Jul 20, 2018
Well yeah it probably won't be as good as the most heralded game of all time and its far better successor, but it was still a solid, beautiful action-adventure game in a unique sci-fi fantasy setting. It was still perfectly enjoyable, and would have been more so had it not carried the Star Fox name back when the franchise wasn't the joke it is now.
Haha, I realized after posting it that it's kind of ridiculous to hope it would be that good. When I bought it I didn't know much about it, just that it was a Star Fox game made by Rare (also when that name really meant something), so I expected it to be better. The "oh hey this is like Zelda" only came after I had played it for a while, so it wasn't part of my initial expectation.

Then again, I only played the game fifteen years ago, when I was thirteen. It could be better than the little I remember of it.

Dec 16, 2017
Okay Detetctive GA...er, Era...

It appears that we indeed have a legit leak on our hands. I'm not aware of the particulars, like even which leak it is exactly, but I know it's caused some ruffled feathers recently.

This should help get us out of the cycle of strawpolls and goofy theories.

Jan 18, 2018

It appears that we indeed have a legit leak on our hands. I'm not aware of the particulars, like even which leak it is exactly, but I know it's caused some ruffled feathers recently.

Yo you can't just say that with no info.

Oct 27, 2017

That doesn't narrow things down at all.

Oct 25, 2017

But who could be the daring, handsome, Geno-loving leaker among us?

Oct 27, 2017

So it appears Dante, Ken, Sora, Goku and Incineroar are all legit total confirmed leaks, THANKS BUDDY.

Status
Not open for further replies.