• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StrapOnFetus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TX
I just think there have to be better ways to do it than "PAY US EXTRA FOR THESE CHARACTERS YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT". Cloud and Ryu (and to an extent Bayonetta) worked because those roster inclusions were characters people have affinity for. The sales argument is easy in that way. The same can kinda be said for Lucas/Roy/Mewtwo, since those characters were restoring cut playables to the roster that people might have wanted to have back.

But on the other hand, with "pre-marketing" characters like Corrin, you're being asked to give Nintendo free money for a character you might not like from a GAME you might not even like. Corrin was the worst Fire Emblem protagonist of all time and I'm legitimately glad I didn't shell out any money for him in Smash. I just don't think it's the right way to go.

Jesus the ranting a raving is real. I read all that you said. The entitlement jesus.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm buying the fighters individually. The scare that MineCraft Steve could be DLC is too much for me to risk having it him taint my game. I don't want the stage, character, or music. Plus it's only saving 5 dollars if you get the pass. Nothing special.
Vergeben nuked his Smash credibly from orbit by saying that we'd get a Minecraft boss, so I wouldn't worry too much about Steve.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus the ranting a raving is real. I read all that you said. The entitlement jesus.

Entitlement? I don't think you're using that word correctly.

But neither Ryu or Cloud were really marketing choices, & both were chosen by Sakurai rather than Nintendo.

I just think the 'because marketing' argument isn't a good enough sales argument. Furukawa isn't a moron (I hope), he has to know that you limit your potential sales by a lot by trying to charge for characters people aren't already invested in, especially coming up on a year after launch. Most people will have dropped the game by then, and some untested character from an unreleased game isn't going to incite them to come back to Smash the way someone like Cloud did.

cmChimera

Oct 28, 2017
- Lifelight live performance
I'm so down for this.
Corrin was the worst Fire Emblem protagonist of all time and I'm legitimately glad I didn't shell out any money for him in Smash.
I forgot to play fates (seriously) but I absolutely love Corrin in Smash. She's really fun to play, and I hope you try her out in Ultimate.
Seemed like a reasonable opinion to me? There's no ranting and raving.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I forgot to play fates (seriously) but I absolutely love Corrin in Smash. She's really fun to play, and I hope you try her out in Ultimate.

You're super lucky that you missed out on Fates. That game's writing was the worst I've seen since Wild ARMs 4, and anyone who's talked JRPGs with me knows how much I hated the writing in Wild ARMs 4. Corrin is written to be so unbelievably stupid it makes my soul hurt. He makes Barry Allen from the TV version of the Flash seem like a tactical genius.

I'll give Corrin a look in this game because they come with it regardless, but that weird Dialga-looking Final Smash is just so confusing to me.

cmChimera

Oct 28, 2017
Fates may be poorly written, but Corrin will always be cooler than Roy.
I've had the Fates games in my amazon cart for pretty much all year. There was some rumor that they were getting ported to Switch that kept making me "wait a little longer." I've heard it's not the best story, but I'm still wanting to try it. I'm slightly scared it'll ruin my perception of Corrin though.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so down for this.
Seemed like a reasonable opinion to me? There's no ranting and raving.

Fates' deep gameplay and awesome soundtrack are marred by its godawful story. Everyone is dumb as a sack of rocks and Corrin is peak Mary Sue.

Fortunately it's more enjoyably dumb than anything. Like you could view it as Corrin's self insert fanfic.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I've had the Fates games in my amazon cart for pretty much all year. There was some rumor that they were getting ported to Switch that kept making me "wait a little longer." I've heard it's not the best story, but I'm still wanting to try it. I'm slightly scared it'll ruin my perception of Corrin though.
What's your perception of Corrin?

Mar 9, 2018
I agree. Smash's tagline on the N64 box was "duke it out with your favorite Nintendo characters. " That summarizes the excitement of Smash Bros, that the characters that join the battle you actually have a connection to. And I don't mean every person is going to have a connection to every character, but characters that already exist, that people already know about, that people already care about are way more exciting additions in the spirit of that tagline than unknown characters. They don't embody that spirit at all.

Especially for DLC where you want people to actively buy the content.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I agree. Smash's tagline on the N64 box was "duke it out with your favorite Nintendo characters. " That summarizes the excitement of Smash Bros, that the characters that join the battle you actually have a connection to. And I don't mean every person is going to have a connection to every character, but characters that already exist, that people already know about, that people already care about are way more exciting additions in the spirit of that tagline than unknown characters. They don't embody that spirit at all.

Especially for DLC where you want people to actively buy the content.
But the problem is that there aren't many options left in terms of first party characters from already-released games that aren't either irrelevant or stuck in the Assist Trophy Shadow Realm. And I still don't think that third party characters will make up the majority of the Fighters Pass. It's that coupled with what Furukawa said not too long ago that has me expecting marketing picks for DLC (Byleth, Sylux, Gen 8 Pokémon, Octoling, etc.) alongside one or two third party picks that Nintendo would stand to benefit from in terms of marketing (Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, etc.).

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I essentially just find her design, powers, and personality seen in Smash to be really cool and likeable.
Well she's pretty strong in Fates.
Her design is well loved. But as a character she's just really dumb and naive. Tho I've always argued there's more dumb characters in Fates like Azura.

If you do play Fates. Play conquest. It one of the most fun Fire Emblem games.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Corrin's dragon form is based on a Chinese dragon called the Qilin.

Really? It doesn't look much of anything like a kirin to me, but fair enough. I just see Dialga.

Creepy that you mentioned barefeet as a positive.

Which reminds me that Corrin's outfit never made sense. It's obviously Just purly to go with the coloring of the Games themes lol

Corrin's clothes look like they were made out of duct tape by someone who ran out of duct tape.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I've not heard rumors of a Fire Emblem Switch port. What rumor?

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I think Roy is a cute character but Ike is where it's at. Daddy Ike.

...I've never played a FE for longer than 10 minutes so I don't know anything about the characters outside of Smash.

Last edited:

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Which reminds me that Corrin's outfit never made sense. It's obviously Just purly to go with the coloring of the Games themes lol
comic454_zpsvl10kb07.png

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Fates has some good gameplay mechanics, and is the most ambitious FE game to date, but as others said the story is bad and the characters are mostly one-note cliches. I'm playing Echoes right now, and aside from the map design, the game is a lot more fun and has far better art and characters (except Faye). The plot is simple but at least it makes some sense.

Also, the game has a moderate use of enemy skills, I hated some maps in Conquest because some stupid use of skills. Imagine clearing a whole difficult map, then losing a unit because the last enemy archer has TONS of HP and Counter skill on top of that...

cmChimera

Oct 28, 2017
Well she's pretty strong in Fates.
Her design is well loved. But as a character she's just really dumb and naive. Tho I've always argued there's more dumb characters in Fates like Azura.

If you do play Fates. Play conquest. It one of the most fun Fire Emblem games.

Oh ok gotcha.

And thanks for the recommendation. Which of the three was best was my next question!

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're super lucky that you missed out on Fates. That game's writing was the worst I've seen since Wild ARMs 4, and anyone who's talked JRPGs with me knows how much I hated the writing in Wild ARMs 4. Corrin is written to be so unbelievably stupid it makes my soul hurt. He makes Barry Allen from the TV version of the Flash seem like a tactical genius.

I'll give Corrin a look in this game because they come with it regardless, but that weird Dialga-looking Final Smash is just so confusing to me.

The thing you seem to forget that Smash is at the end of the day a fighting game and characters are chosen just as much as for their "influence" as for the gameplay style. It's pretty obvious that Pirhana Plant plays vastly different than any other character given his long rang. Similarly, people like Corrin in Smash for her/her moveset being a very unique tool the the rooster, far more than people like him/her in story. I do want characters that are favorites but at the end of the day, gameplay and moveset are just as important factors to the DLC and to pretend it should only be "famous characters" isn't right.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
To the people missing your Piranha Plant code, i believe you have to actually redeem your code on the eshop, thus claiming your coins for the purchase. In the direct they said people who claimed their coins before the cutoff date would get him. For me, it took a day or two after redeeming the code for the PP code to come.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

Corrin was given bare feet as a deliberate choice by Kozaki. He apparently had an animalistic impression of the character in mind from their description and relation to dragons.

It could also be argued that it's a goof on how none of the character models in Awakening had feet. :P

Jorgie

Mar 28, 2018
Philadelphia

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
Still really on the fence if I should get this. I mostly have very little faith the online will be bad and I really don't have anyone else to play the game with IRL. So the online component is pretty important to keep me engaged.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Got a friendly tourny on Sunday, can't wait to get my hands on this tomorrow after The Game Awards

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Out of all the Fire Emblem characters. Ike is the only one I would say is a deep character.

He's easy to understand but goes through much more development then everyone else.

-Chrom is pretty boring and simple (which even he admits).
-Corrin has a game about choosing sides and ends up being a simple character, who makes the dumbest choices base off gut and others advice. Bad writing there, they could've done so much with his conflicts.
-Robin- is pretty decently written, tho he's too "perfect" with his plans in Awakening and praised way too much by everyone.
-Roy is a kid who always does the right thing. He's as simple as it gets, not annoying but not exciting.
-Marth, I'm gonna have to pass on Marth since I played FE 12 in Japanese because I imported the game and SD writing is a blur to me.
-Lucina is a tragedy stricken character who loves her family. Still hoping we get another game with Lucina, a game in her timeline could be awesome (yeah I know about the DLC, but make a full game with better writing).

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Out of all the Fire Emblem characters. Ike is the only one I would say is a deep character.

He's easy to understand but goes through much more development then everyone else.

-Chrom is pretty boring and simple (which even he admits).
-Corrin has a game about choosing sides and ends up being a simple character, who makes the dumbest choices base off gut and others advice. Bad writing there, they could've done so much with his conflicts.
-Robin- is pretty decently written, tho he's too "perfect" with his plans in Awakening and praised way too much by everyone.
-Roy is a kid who always does the right thing. He's as simple as it gets, not annoying but not exciting.
-Marth, I'm gonna have to pass on Marth since I played FE 12 in Japanese because I imported the game and SD writing is a blur to me.
-Lucina is a tragedy stricken character who loves her family. Still hoping we get another game with Lucina, a game in her timeline could be awesome (yeah I know about the DLC, but make a full game with better writing).
I wouldn't argue that Ike is that deep. Yes, he undergoes a pretty stark physical maturation between PoR and RD, but in his arc of going from rookie merc to mercenary company head to leader of an army and international hero to legend, he doesn't really ever seem to undergo that much dramatic growth in his character. In some ways, I'd argue he even regressed between Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn.

Posts like this really just remind me how much I want a proper Genealogy of the Holy War remake on the level of Shadows of Valentia. Even as simple as the character arcs are, the narrative as a whole runs laps around the rest of the series for its ambition and how much it was able to pull off in its day.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Preordered and ready, very excited for the game. This is my first Smash since Brawl (didnt own Wii or WiiU).

I am very concerned about netcode and handheld mode. ARMS, Mario Kart and Splatoon 3 are silky smooth. Mario Tennis was an absolute shitshow though.

cmChimera

Oct 28, 2017
You're super lucky that you missed out on Fates.
Well I'm still gonna try it out. I'm just late.
Let me know what you think afterwards! Who do you normally play as?
Fortunately it's more enjoyably dumb than anything. Like you could view it as Corrin's self insert fanfic.
Lol I'll try this.
I've not heard rumors of a Fire Emblem Switch port. What rumor?
I think this.
Fates has some good gameplay mechanics, and is the most ambitious FE game to date, but as others said the story is bad and the characters are mostly one-note cliches. I'm playing Echoes right now, and aside from the map design, the game is a lot more fun and has far better art and characters (except Faye). The plot is simple but at least it makes some sense.
I haven't played Echoes yet either haha, I'm really behind. I'll play that after Fates.

Status
Not open for further replies.