• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm annoyed that they're bringing back the Fear Factor-style eating challenges. What types of skills are involved in that? No one's being "outwitted" or "outplayed," it's just a matter of who has the best gag reflex. And the worst part is if someone can't do it, the rest of their team starts throwing their names as potential votes. Does someone deserve to be voted out because they couldn't stomach a squirming giant maggot?

It honestly feels like a holdover from the early days of extreme reality TV.
What skill is involved in that? Determination and temperment play a big part in it. Unless you're allergic to something, you can force it down with willpower.
Why does every challenge have to be the same? It's like Kirblar said, they SHOULD test different things.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Now that we got the eating challenge's grand return, we need that AUCTION BABY.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
The auction was flawed but it led to so many amazing moments, and who doesn't Iove looking at that beautiful baked potato with all the fixins'

Include

Oct 25, 2017
Chris was an idiot for not playing his Idol! It was valid for two tribals but he did the same mistake as James and deserve what happened to him.

I was really hoping that Chris, Dom and Wendell all play their idols for shock value, it would have been really cool.

Ganhyun

Oct 26, 2017
I was really hoping that Chris, Dom and Wendell all play their idols for shock value, it would have been really cool.

I honestly thought this would happen and that someone not as high on the target list would go home due to it. I figured Dom's idol would come out, but once he used the advantage instead I still figured Chris would play his idol, which would force Wendell's idol out too.

Include

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly thought this would happen and that someone not as high on the target list would go home due to it. I figured Dom's idol would come out, but once he used the advantage instead I still figured Chris would play his idol, which would force Wendell's idol out too.

Jeff must have been dying internally at the loss of a triple twists tribal, lol.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Eating challenges are about as exciting as endurance challenges for me. Not excited about it returning but also welcoming it as a change of pace. Love the obstacle and puzzle challenges though

I would like to see the auction again though.

Smylie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oregon
Eating challenges are about as exciting as endurance challenges for me. Not excited about it returning but also welcoming it as a change of pace. Love the obstacle and puzzle challenges though

I would like to see the auction again though.
Eating challenges and the auctions are my two favorite, but I understand why they do them sparingly. I miss when they were both done each season, though.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
There was a great auction in Australian Survivor Season 4 last summer. Luke bid conservatively on the opening item... which was a "you can no longer participate in the auction" swerve that resulted in him getting a second version of EVERY reward that was brought up for bid afterwards. Dude ate like a king.

21587120_1062051913930697_8643384300287704916_o.jpg

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
There was a great auction in Australian Survivor Season 4 last summer. Luke bid conservatively on the opening item... which was a "you can no longer participate in the auction" swerve that resulted in him getting a second version of EVERY reward that was brought up for bid afterwards. Dude ate like a king.

Think Luke may be one of my favorite characters from Survivor in a while. Guy seemed to be there for fun and was selling it the whole way through.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
I hate the eating challenges. I'm glad they don't happen every season anymore, but I wish they'd just remove them completely.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Surely, surely, surely we could get an America VS Australia Survivor season right? Heck, CBS owns the channel that produces and shows Australian Survivor!

That would be crazy.

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
lol, last episode is a lock for the next Funny 115

Between the Wendell vote discourse and what has to be the most telegraphed "play your idol" misread, with the probably most risky and at the same time, useless idol to get. We lose a very entertaining character, but not even mad after the entertainment value we got out of his boot episode.

Also, why are people mad at the eating challenge? I wouldn't be surprised if it's also the reward challenge instead of the immunity challenge.

peteykirch

Oct 25, 2017

21587120_1062051913930697_8643384300287704916_o.jpg

I really wish they would bring back the Survivor Auction.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Did that lady try deep throating that sea slug lmao

I liked Libby. I hope Michael wins. Wendell and his buddy need to go

Last edited:

NYR

Oct 27, 2017
Wendell and the Italian need to go. Suck the life out of this season for me.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would not have opposed Wendell going on that vote, but good job Michael on playing the idol. Also, I'm glad to see the eating challenge come back.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking Malolo traitors. Everyone went Michael. Jesus Christ.

Shoutout to Michael for finally reversing a curse.

Ganhyun

Oct 26, 2017
The show hinted at Dom and Wendell realizing something was possibly up with Donathan and Laurel, so I'm guessing they decided not to jump out against the grain there. Sucks, because both he and Dom still have their idols and basically control of the game.

Preview seems to hint at Desiree trying to make her big move. I wonder how it goes.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
There's no way I would've, or could've taken part in that eating contest. I would've been Wendel.

Too bad Libby went home. She was an interesting Survivor, not to mention cute.

Last edited:

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Wendell and the Italian need to go. Suck the life out of this season for me.

Did they really have much of their hands in this episode though? Dom seems to take a back seat and barely speak at tribal, and the girls go to Wendell with the idea of going after Michael. They certainly still got focus, but not sure they actually effected much this episode.

Include

Oct 25, 2017
I skipped the eating part because I just can't stand these stuff.

They really got me with Wendell possible elimination, I like that dude and hope he wins... I mean he has basically created a 5 stars hotel, was deadly in challenges and so far has made a good alliance.

It will be a deserved old school survivor win :p

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I can't really remember completely but was Angela the one trying to start that 4 girl alliance a couple episodes ago? I was half wondering if she went so quick and heavy on Michael to get the more easy guys to get out back to back and then turn the target to Windel and Dom to further that girl alliance.

Only thing I could really think of, but couldn't even remember if that was her or not.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think this season has failed the Bechdel test thus far.

Also, Fucking hell with production/Probst. I hate to be a hater but this season is just ridiculous. At the final 14, save for Sebastian the main characters were only men, and Kellyn. While the women and Sebastian have been pretty much ignored. The editing is uneven as is but if this doesn't showcase the casual sexism of the show I don't know what does.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
OP
OP
Carthago Delenda Est
Oct 28, 2017
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think this season has failed the Bechdel test thus far.

Also, Fucking hell with production/Probst. I hate to be a hater but this season is just ridiculous. At the final 14, save for Sebastian the main characters were only men, and Kellyn. While the women and Sebastian have been pretty much ignored. The editing is uneven as is but if this doesn't showcase the casual sexism of the show I don't know what does.

Bechdel test does not apply to reality TV well. I doubt it's failed but if it has, only because the targets of the women are male.

I don't agree with the casual sexism comment at all. Women are featured whenever they're doing something relevant. Angela played a huge part in the last episode and was portrayed as a badass during immunity. It's not the producers' fault that the people in power right now are all male and that men are perceived as greater threats.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Bechdel test does not apply to reality TV well. I doubt it's failed but if it has, only because the targets of the women are male.

I don't agree with the casual sexism comment at all. Women are featured whenever they're doing something relevant. Angela played a huge part in the last episode and was portrayed as a badass during immunity. It's not the producers' fault that the people in power right now are all male and that men are perceived as greater threats.

Therein lies the rub. Women are featured only when they're relevant (with some notable exceptions like Kellyn). Men as a whole receive far more screen time than women (because the editors frame the story around what the men are doing), that's just an established fact. I can get you the receipts on that if you want :P But you only need to look at this season to see just how bad it's gotten. As for the bechdel test... it applies everywhere. Of course the reality tv-ness skews it since the essenve of the test is to see whether a piece of media has a female perspective but with the amount of footage they have, and the quality of editors they employ this is absolutely open to the scrutiny of the Bechdel Test for displaying literally the most basic of conversations between two female people.

Regardless of what the on-screen dynamics are. If we were to look at what's actually happening this season, it's clear that Chelsea/Desiree are a significant part of the merge dynamics currently and along with Kellyn have been the main driving forces in many of the votes. We see Laurel and Angela going to these three for final approval of how they should vote.

Wendell/Domenick/Chris/Michael are production favourites and get so much screen time. Bradley/Donathan had a couple of lowkey episodes but were mostly huge characters. Hell, I'm pretty sure that Kellyn is the only female player that has more confessionals than Jacob.

You look at the edits of female winners and they are far more likely to have an incredibly under-developed storyline compared to male winners. The only time a male winner gets a more subtle edit is if they come out of nowhere with immunity wins like Fabio or Bob. Meanwhile you've got Natalie White, Sophie, Amber, Danni, Vecepia and Michele who all got very quiet edits.

Now, I don't want to be quoted by people saying "But there's not enough time to show every single character, they have to focus on what's happening and explaining the vote!" because not only do they have more than enough footage to tell any story they want, but it is almost no effort at all to have just a small amount of time or a single quick confessional showing what people are thinking. Of Domenick's 4-8 confessionals per episode maybe give one of those to Laurel, or Desiree, or Libby. These people clearly have some perspective on the game and have been shown to be really eloquent and engaging when they get the chance to speak. Only being shown the perspective of the three big men and Kellyn got real boring, real quick.

flyover

Oct 26, 2017
I think you're right, UT. I'd be interested to know how Chelsea and Des fit into the scheme of things. However, not only do we rarely hear from them, but we also don't even hear about them. Maybe Chelsea really is boring, but maybe we just assume she is, because we figure they'd give her airtime if she weren't.

Maybe that's one of the reasons why Australian Survivor--which admittedly runs longer and has more time to breathe--is so good. Everyone gets confessionals/screentime, and so I have some investment in each contestant. Sure, the big personalities get shown more. But giving everyone some airtime makes even the even the quieter characters seem (at least potentially) consequential.

Editing these shows is no easy task, especially when you've only got about 40 minutes per episode. A player may be important to the overall season, without ever quite doing or saying anything screen-worthy in any three-day stretch. But I think American Survivor definitely has gender representation issues, so it might be worth shoehorning lower-profile players (particularly women) in anyway, on occasion--just in case your biases are getting the better of you. Probst seems to think most male contestants are inherently interesting unless they prove otherwise, and I sometimes get the sense it's the inverse with most women on the show.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Desiree is suddenly on screen talking about making a move, which can only be bad for her.