Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
I just want to point out that stores buy more stock during the holiday season. They would not have bought 4.1 Million PS4s if it had launched in spring, they might have bought 5 Million during the holidays and likely would if Sony has the supply for PS5 and launch during the Holidays, but if they launch in Spring, they will not be able to sell as many units initially during the launch period to stores, that is just a reality, no matter how the market responds, there is just too much delay, and you still have to ship your devices from China to America to put them in American stores, so this issue requires the delay of the ships delivering cargo across the Pacific Ocean, which takes 5-6 weeks iirc.

For PS4 it made sense because Sony didn't know how the market will react to it ( in 2012/2013 we had articles sayind that the console gaming was dead), also we didn't have examples of a succesful launch of gaming consoles not in Holiday Season (as far as i know, may be wrong).
For PS5 things now are different. I think it's safe to say that it will be a very succesful product from day one, also we have a good example of NS: a product that was released in Spring and was very succesful from day one (Nintendo even had to deliver the consoles through planes, if i remember corectly).
Can't say much about logistics but i think they will figure out how to do it.
I suppose that Ps5 will release in Spring, 2020, but that's just my theorry, may be wrong as well.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For PS4 it made sense because Sony didn't know how the market will react to it ( in 2012/2013 we had articles sayind that the console gaming was dead), also we didn't have examples of a succesful launch of gaming consoles not in Holiday Season (as far as i know, may be wrong).

That's funny when you consider where Nintendo was coming from when they launched the Switch.

Oct 27, 2017
Great sales for the Switch, as expected. A bit slower than the PS4, but I do wonder whether the Switch's momentum can increase to catch the equivalent PS4 sales.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Wii peaked in 2nd year, 3DS in first year, DS in 3rd year, Gamecube in 2nd year, GBA in 2nd year.
Wii peaked FY09 (3rd year) with FY10 as it's 2nd year - so FY3/4
https://www.statista.com/statistics/227012/lifetime-unit-sales-of-nintendos-home-consoles/

3DS in it's third FY, with 2 & 4th very close.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/262074/worldwide-sales-of-the-nintendo-3ds-since-2004/

If we go by this, nintendo will have their best year next FY, with an almost as strong 4th.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
That's funny when you consider where Nintendo was coming from when they launched the Switch.
Yes, that was a very good move from Nintendo, very clever.
ps: it would be nice to create a new thread where we can discuss all this stuff about launching consoles and the best period of time so we won't offtop here. (can't do it because i am new here)

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved. It quickly lept to my primary gaming console and every new game announcement sees me hoping they confirm a Switch release .

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
About what i expected from Switch, maybe a bit higher to be fair.

20 million as the official forecast finally, gonna hit that number. B)

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
tracking less than PS4 already... still great turnaround for Nintendo after WiiU. and soon enough will overtake Xbox for 2nd place.

"Already".

PS4 had 2 holidays and even then the comparation is very legit, 19.9 million VS 17.79 million.

Idk what you expected, it would be insane if Switch would win this comparation.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
The fact that the majority of posts in this thread are comparing switch to PS4 is utterly embarrassing. Comparing one console to another is fine, but it's literally more than half of the conversation here, appearing much more frequently than deservedly positive discussion about their turnaround from the Wii u. If you so badly want to compare it to something, at least compare it to past Nintendo consoles.

But yeah, let's just ignore the extreme positivity of this news and focus on the one (1) way in which switch sales aren't astounding by comparing it to PS4 instead.

I think the difference between the first half of FY 2019 switch sales and the second half is going to be insane. H1 is looking to be kinda rough, with momentum slowing a bit due to lack of exciting releases... but H2 with smash bros and Pokemon (I doubt it will release later than March 2019) alone will set records, with holiday sales being craaazy good. Maybe Labo can thrive in the holidays too.

Skyrim, Fifa, Bomberman, or Just Dance seem like possible candidates. Unless this includes eshop titles.

Edit: Hadn't seen the list yet. Forgot about the 2nd party games. Seems like it's Pokken, FEW, M+R, & Skyrim

Didn't see that coming for FEW.

Fire Emblem Warriors, Rabbids & Pokken Tournament DX have sold over 1M.
Okay. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the FEW 1m announcement includes the 3DS sku which likely accounts for a few hundred k. I highly doubt the switch version alone is more than 1m (if it is I will gladly eat my hat!)

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think there is potential for this Christmas to be huge if they get the perfect storm of Pokemon, Smash and Labo catching fire.
At the moment though, whilst plenty of games are coming out, there doesn't seem to be any huge releases on the horizon that are going to appeal to people that aren't already Switch owners or already interesting in becoming one. I'm a big fan of Labo but it's very much the sort of thing you buy for a child as a gift, therefore I don't see it really catching on until Christmas.

vkbest

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Which is funny because Switch releasing against two consoles that were cheaper and had a big library was one of the reasons it was DOA.
Switch is a portable console, is not direct competing with XBOX and PS4. But those consoles are competing each other. If you want a current portable console you will buy a switch (3ds and vita have pretty low numbers comparing to before), if you want to play on TV you have to choose PS4 or XBOX.

MONSTER

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Switch is a portable console, is not direct competing with XBOX and PS4. But those consoles are competing each other. If you want a current portable console you will buy a switch (3ds and vita have pretty low numbers comparing to before), if you want to play on TV you have to choose PS4 or XBOX.

switch is a home console you can take on the go with you. its a home console first. of course it competes with the PS4 and X1 so why deny that?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Not even close to being true. The PS4, Xbox One, Switch and even the 3DS are all the relevant dedicated video game systems of this moment and they do indeed compete with each other for the time/money of a 'gamer', be it casual or hardcore. This separation doesn't exist in reality.

And the Switch is advertised as a console with a console price and console priced software FWIW.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who had thought in March 2017 that Switch would outsell its competitors when all is said and done. I thought the PS4 would easily get the first place and Switch would go the WiiU way.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is not even remotely true.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
For PS5 things now are different. I think it's safe to say that it will be a very succesful product from day one, also we have a good example of NS: a product that was released in Spring and was very succesful from day one (Nintendo even had to deliver the consoles through planes, if i remember corectly).
Can't say much about logistics but i think they will figure out how to do it.
I suppose that Ps5 will release in Spring, 2020, but that's just my theorry, may be wrong as well.

Well Sony has the choice to:
A. Ship stores 3 Million consoles for a Spring launch. (this is more than Switch shipped btw)
B. Ship stores 5 Million consoles for a Holiday launch. (Stores have more buying budget and shelf space during the holidays, as well as more customers)

If you are Sony, and you want to sell as many consoles as possible, shipping Holiday 2019, 5 Million PS5s and another 3 Million for Spring quarter, or 3 Million for Spring quarter and another 3 Million for summer quarter... I think Sony should pick a Holiday launch.

I mean people like to compare these console launches, but if Switch has shipped 4 Million for the 2016 Holiday, it would have cleared 2 Million for Jan-Mar quarter, 3 Million for Apr-June Quarter, 3 Million for Jul-Sep, 8 Million for Holiday 2017 Quarter (20 Million Shipped vs ~18 Million shipped) and another 3 Million for Spring Quarter. (where it would currently be... (23 Million) That is just a break down of how the Switch sold last year... sure launch aligned with another console, it might look better to sell in spring during the holiday quarter, but it's always best to launch during the holidays because you can put more units on the store shelves.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Congrats to Nintendo, great numbers.

I can see them selling even more units thanks to the hardware exploit being discovered that lets it be hacked on any firmware and the inevitable hardware refresh that has been rumoured (Switch v2 with better Tegra chip and 8GB RAM) which is the only way they can fix the issue.

So people will be buying the old models, why they are available for hacking and emulators and some will obviously want the newer model too, so win win for Nintendo hardware.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Which is funny because Switch releasing against two consoles that were cheaper and had a big library was one of the reasons it was DOA.
They are all 300.

You do realize that releasing against products that have captured a larger amount of the market share is actually a more difficult task?

The PS4 and X1 were performing exceptionally in 2017 when the Switch launched.
My point was ps4 launched with x1 but switch was alone as the other 2 were old. That's all. Nonetheless fair point was made as counter.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
If you are Sony, and you want to sell as many consoles as possible, shipping Holiday 2019, 5 Million PS5s and another 3 Million for Spring quarter, or 3 Million for Spring quarter and another 3 Million for summer quarter... I think Sony should pick a Holiday launch.
That's because you took into consideration only the first 2 quarters, but what about 3 ?
1) Holiday - 5 million, Spring - 3 million, Summer - 3 million
2) Spring - 3 million, Summer - 3 million, Holyday - 5 million, or even better:
Spring - 4 million (because of release), Summer - 3million, Holiday - 5 million

The benefits of the second option are that it's much easier to fullfill the demand and avoid stock issues as much as possible. Or they could produce much more consoles for 1st Holiday to avoid any sold outs, but i don't know if technically this is possible.

Last edited:

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
The true question is "how doomed is Nintendo?"!

Great for them, well deserved.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
Weird they didnt put Pokken DX in their Sales Unit Page
750d69d308.png

Wait, why don't the global numbers for Zelda match?

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
That's because you took into consideration only the first 2 quarters, but what about 3 ?
1) Holiday - 5 million, Spring - 3 million, Summer - 3 million
2) Spring - 3 million, Summer - 3 million, Holyday - 5 million

The benefits of the second option are that it's much easier to fullfill the demand and avoid stock issues as much as possible. Or they could produce much more consoles for 1st Holyday to avoid any sold outs, but i don't know if technically this is possible.

You came up with the same total (11 Million), also by Spring, I really mean March, which is technically Q4 of the previous FY, or Winter... so it's actually:
1) Holiday 5 Million, Jan-Mar 3 Million, Apr-Jun 3 Million, Jul-Sep 3 Million. Holiday 6 Million
2) Feb-Mar launch 3 Million (3DS launched in Feb, Switch March 3rd), Apr-June 3 Million, Jul-Sep 3 Million, Holiday 6 Million

All you are really doing by launching in Spring, is losing the previous holiday sales, launch aligned during some parts of the year, it might look nice, but that following quarter, you see the same thing that is happening right now with Switch and PS4. PS4 is ahead launch aligned, because you can ship more units during a holiday launch month than a normal launch month. That is just a simple fact. Even if you give Nintendo the 4.1 Million that PS4 sold though, it would still be behind PS4 by about a Million shipped, though it still launch aligned, would have 3+ weeks to make up the difference, which is possible.

It's ok to look at both the Switch and PS4 and see that they are both selling well, but if I was Sony, I'd absolutely launch my next console in the Holiday season, same for Nintendo to be honest.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Great softwares numbers all around, Kirby already more than 1M and it's just two week sales, crazy.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so those Zelda numbers are JUST for the Switch? I thought it was including the Wii-U sales as well.

So this means BotW is the first Zelda to surpass Ocarina in sales?