• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
BLjQmk.gif

Or just compare it to the PS4, whatever.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Fixed that for you :)
What I don't understand is why people think moving the Switch back to Holiday 2016, wouldn't have meant more sales by Dec 31 2017? I mean do people really think that Jan-Mar this year, makes up for missing out on 6 weeks during the holidays? Switch launching in the Holidays, would have been able to ship more units to stores, because stores would have been able to buy more units. (larger spending budget and more "shelf" space -I worked retail for 5 years in a best buy, circuit city, office depot)

I also find it hard to believe that Switch would not have been able to sell 2.74 Million during Jan-March 2017 to make up for the March launch, that means whatever you sell Holiday 2016 would have been on top of the near 15 Million they had sold through Dec 31st 2017, that new number not being higher than 17.79 Million, is hard to figure. I think the 6 weeks during the holidays, would have been worth more than the 12 weeks during the last 3 months.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
- botw best selling zelda
- odyssey over 10 mil
- kirby and pokken (and FE warriors?) million sellers
- xenoblade 2 continuing to do well
i really hope nintendo can continue all this software success stories on switch for the rest of the console's life. people just love buying games for it.

Jack Frost

Oct 25, 2017
Switch is a portable console, is not direct competing with XBOX and PS4. But those consoles are competing each other. If you want a current portable console you will buy a switch (3ds and vita have pretty low numbers comparing to before), if you want to play on TV you have to choose PS4 or XBOX.
You can't play Switch on a TV, now I've seen it all.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
PS4 is ahead launch aligned, because you can ship more units during a holiday launch month than a normal launch month. That is just a simple fact.
Your point makes sense ONLY if Sony is able to provide enough console for the start, which i doubt. Otherwise, it makes much more sense to launch earlier (Spring) so in the beggining, Sony can sell all the consoles they produce to one group of people (people that buy consoles day one), and on Holiday they will sell all the consoles they produce for the second group of people (that buy consoles, different tech on Holiday). In your case, these 2 groups are combined but, because of stock issues the maximum theoreticall number of sales is irrelevant because it won't be reached.

same for Nintendo to be honest.
That's why i disagree, Nintendo had stock issues even when they launched NS in Spring. Imagine how much of a problem they would have if they would launch in the Holiday season, when the demand (as you said and i completely agree) is higher.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Let's dispel the myth that Switch will have an hard time to match 3DS+WiiU due to the lack of a new dedicated handheld on its side.

Operating Income and Net Income in the first full fiscal year for 3DS and Switch:

First full FY for 3DS:
FY 12/03 Operating Income: -37,300 million yen
FY 12/03 Net Income: -43,200 million yen

First full FY for Switch:
FY 18/03 Operating Income: 177,557 million yen
FY 18/03 Net Income: 139,590 million yen

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Let's dispel the myth that Switch will have an hard time to match 3DS+WiiU due to the lack of a new dedicated handheld on its side.

Operating Income and Net Income in the first full fiscal year for 3DS and Switch:

First full FY for 3DS:
FY 12/03 Operating Income: -37,300 million yen
FY 12/03 Net Income: -43,200 million yen

First full FY for Switch:
FY 18/03 Operating Income: 177,557 million yen
FY 18/03 Net Income: 139,590 million yen
it has to do DS+Wii+PSP+Ouyra numbers though.

then we'll know if it;s a success

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
What I don't understand is why people think moving the Switch back to Holiday 2016, wouldn't have meant more sales by Dec 31 2017? I mean do people really think that Jan-Mar this year, makes up for missing out on 6 weeks during the holidays? Switch launching in the Holidays, would have been able to ship more units to stores, because stores would have been able to buy more units.
Look, it's very simple: the maximum number of consoles that Nintendo can produce in one month is 3 million (just an example, not real numbers). In Spring, in first month the demand was 4 million. In Holiday Season, in first month, the demand would be 6 million, BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER because the maximum number of consoles that Nintendo can produce in one month is ONLY 3 million.
In this case, Nintendo reduced the stock issue as much as possible and that's why i really like how they handled it and i think Sony should do the same.

Nightside

Oct 28, 2017

Well, the overall environment still lacks some features that many people want like cloud saves for example. Things that are coming eventually down the road.
From a hardware perspective the system is a compromise of what was possible to pack inside at that price point so I don't complain.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Don't forget that PS4 released at $399 vs $299 and still outperfomed Switch.

Impressive achievement tbh.

PS4 got promotions such as temporaney pricedrops in some Europe countries and in America it was selling with 2 games in bundle for 400$ during Black Friday, while Switch never got those promotions and the few limited bundle it had were selling for 379$.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Look, it's very simple: the maximum number of consoles that Nintendo can produce in one month is 3 million (just an example, not real numbers). In Spring, in first month the demand was 4 million. In Holiday Season, in first month, the demand would be 6 million, BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER because the maximum number of consoles that Nintendo can produce in one month is ONLY 3 million.
In this case, Nintendo reduced the stock issue as much as possible and that's why i really like how they handled it and i think Sony should do the same.
Not to mention they were competing with Apple was it for components of the Switch? In hindsight Nintendo definitely maximized their output releasing outside of the holiday season. Just like with even the bomb that was the Wii U, the initial 3 million were a lock from hardcore fans alone. Which is why they were able to coast the first few months, then all the hardware limitations were fixed by the holiday season and they were able to meet the demand.

I distinctly remember how difficult it was to get a PS4 at launch. The one I got was one out of like three within a 40 mile radius of my house.

konoka

Dec 20, 2017
What's the tie-ratio between Switch, XB1 and PS4?
In comparison with other nintendo hardwares, Switch's tie-ratio transition is on par with NDS and Nintendo forecast for this year follows the line too.
So I think lifetime Switch's tie-ratio will be around 6.
I assume xboxone's tie-ratio is on par with ps4's one because these are same type consoles.
PS4's tie-ratio was 8.75 in the end of last year and it will be above 10 in its lifetime.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In comparison with other nintendo hardwares, Switch's tie-ratio transition is on par with NDS and Nintendo forecast for this year follows the line too.
So I think lifetime Switch's tie-ratio will be around 6.
I assume xboxone's tie-ratio is on par with ps4's one because these are same type consoles.
PS4's tie-ratio was 8.75 in the end of last year and it will be above 10 in its lifetime.
Is it fair to compare the tie-ratio of the 1 year old console vs. the 4 year old consoles? What were the PS/XB tie ratios at the end of 2014?

ESP when you admit as console life lengthens the ratio increases?

BTW thanks for the numbers and I'm not trying to be belligerent but to have an honest discussion

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017

I always seem to have these somewhat off topic discussions, so let me point out that Nintendo could have produced as many units as they wanted. I'll point to phones real quick, phones are more complex, use more components, and ship 10x what consoles do, even at launch. Nintendo was limited to ~3 Million for the first month, because they initially decided to produce 2 Million units for launch; because stores were willing to buy that many, but in January they saw much higher pre-orders than they anticipated and stores were willing to buy more stock, so Nintendo scrambled to produce more Switch units, producing only ~750k more units. If Nintendo had decided to produce 5 Million Switch units for a March launch, they could have absolutely done so, but stores do not have the bandwidth to purchase that many devices to sell during the Spring months.

The reality is that console manufactures, can only make X number of units, where X is the amount they have contracts to sell to stores + wear house space to hold onto packaged units + units in the pipeline ready to ship to stores within the launch 4-8 weeks, and remember these consoles are made on the other side of the pacific, and largely shipped to America which takes 5 weeks. This is why it's always more beneficial to launch in the holiday months, when stores have bigger purchasing power and more room to hold inventory. Also, you are imposing a weird rule here, you are saying Sony should launch Spring 2020 instead of Holiday 2020, in this point I agree, but I'd further say, they benefit more by launching Holiday 2019 (although, I actually think they are shooting for a year later in this case). In order for this conversation to make more sense, lets assume we are looking at Holiday 2020 or Spring 2021. There is no reason to skip the holidays, if you plan to produce 4M+ units for launch. Sony was simply conservative with their initial launch of 4.1 Million, they could have produced 6 Million units and sold through them, and yes it's possible to produce this many units, other electronic devices do.

Not to mention they were competing with Apple was it for components of the Switch? In hindsight Nintendo definitely maximized their output releasing outside of the holiday season. Just like with even the bomb that was the Wii U, the initial 3 million were a lock from hardcore fans alone. Which is why they were able to coast the first few months, then all the hardware limitations were fixed by the holiday season and they were able to meet the demand.

I distinctly remember how difficult it was to get a PS4 at launch. The one I got was one out of like three within a 40 mile radius of my house.

They initially planned to ship less than 13 Million units, that is the reason that it made sense, if they were looking to sell 20 million units in the first 13 months, launching in Holiday, is the only way that is possible.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
I never see a LTD, launch aligned comparison Switch vs X1.

do we not have X1 numbers or are people just not interested in that comparison?

would someone be kind enough to share the numbers?

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
He or she is right. If Nintendo do release Pokemon and Smash this fiscal year and meet their 20 million, I think that could be a pretty safe bet on being the peak year.

The "peak year" narrative doesn't bear any meaning. This might be the peak year but if Switch ships 19.5m the next year and 19.5m the year after does it matter...? Also, price cuts and Nintendo handheld.

SW has 3.87
PS4 at 18.5 million shipped had 4.44

Wow, pretty amazing considering Switch basically didn't get any meaningful third party support while PS4 got huge franchises like Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto and Far Cry in its first year.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Insane numbers
This E3 would be crazy for Switch

Edit: lol at the posts downplaying Switch numbers. That people never rest it seems

Last edited:

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Also, you are imposing a weird rule here, you are saying Sony should launch Spring 2020 instead of Holiday 2020, in this point I agree, but I'd further say, they benefit more by launching Holiday 2019 (although, I actually think they are shooting for a year later in this case). In order for this conversation to make more sense, lets assume we are looking at Holiday 2020 or Spring 2021. There is no reason to skip the holidays, if you plan to produce 4M+ units for launch. Sony was simply conservative with their initial launch of 4.1 Million, they could have produced 6 Million units and sold through them, and yes it's possible to produce this many units, other electronic devices do.

I think Spring 2021 is too late for ps5, it has to be one of these 3: Holiday 2019 / Spring 2020 / Holiday 2020. Personally i don't care when they decide to release the console as long as they don't have stock issues. If they decide to release it on Holiday and make enough consoles to satisfy the market demand, i have no problem with it. Otherwise, the spring release would be better, and i explained why i think so previously.

konoka

Dec 20, 2017
Is it fair to compare the tie-ratio of the 1 year old console vs. the 4 year old consoles? What were the PS/XB tie ratios at the end of 2014?

ESP when you admit as console life lengthens the ratio increases?

BTW thanks for the numbers and I'm not trying to be belligerent but to have an honest discussion
1 year old Nintendo hardware tie-ratios
3DS 2.65 < GBA 2.74 < NDS 3.61 < Switch 3.88 < WiiU 5.23 < Wii 6.07 < GC 6.34
after 1 more year (Switch's tie-ratio is from Nintendo forecast)
3DS 3.06 < GBA 3.22 < Switch 4.47 < NDS 4.79 < WiiU 5.94 < Wii 7.00 < GC 7.40
lifetime
GBA 4.63 < 3DS 4.85 < NDS 6.16 < WiiU 7.52 < Wii 9.04 < GC 9.59

These hardwares are different in various respects.
But tie-ratio transitions are pretty steady from year 1.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I always seem to have these somewhat off topic discussions, so let me point out that Nintendo could have produced as many units as they wanted. I'll point to phones real quick, phones are more complex, use more components, and ship 10x what consoles do, even at launch. Nintendo was limited to ~3 Million for the first month, because they initially decided to produce 2 Million units for launch; because stores were willing to buy that many, but in January they saw much higher pre-orders than they anticipated and stores were willing to buy more stock, so Nintendo scrambled to produce more Switch units, producing only ~750k more units. If Nintendo had decided to produce 5 Million Switch units for a March launch, they could have absolutely done so, but stores do not have the bandwidth to purchase that many devices to sell during the Spring months.

The reality is that console manufactures, can only make X number of units, where X is the amount they have contracts to sell to stores + wear house space to hold onto packaged units + units in the pipeline ready to ship to stores within the launch 4-8 weeks, and remember these consoles are made on the other side of the pacific, and largely shipped to America which takes 5 weeks. This is why it's always more beneficial to launch in the holiday months, when stores have bigger purchasing power and more room to hold inventory. Also, you are imposing a weird rule here, you are saying Sony should launch Spring 2020 instead of Holiday 2020, in this point I agree, but I'd further say, they benefit more by launching Holiday 2019 (although, I actually think they are shooting for a year later in this case). In order for this conversation to make more sense, lets assume we are looking at Holiday 2020 or Spring 2021. There is no reason to skip the holidays, if you plan to produce 4M+ units for launch. Sony was simply conservative with their initial launch of 4.1 Million, they could have produced 6 Million units and sold through them, and yes it's possible to produce this many units, other electronic devices do.

They initially planned to ship less than 13 Million units, that is the reason that it made sense, if they were looking to sell 20 million units in the first 13 months, launching in Holiday, is the only way that is possible.
And you think they would have sold 20 million even with the extreme hardware limitations they suffered early on? People weren't able to even find Switches consistently until late May.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
I think Spring 2021 is too late for ps5, it has to be one of these 3: Holiday 2019 / Spring 2020 / Holiday 2020. Personally i don't care when they decide to release the console as long as they don't have stock issues. If they decide to release it on Holiday and make enough consoles to satisfy the market demand, i have no problem with it. Otherwise, the spring release would be better, and i explained why i think so previously.

This makes sense, we were discussing which is better: Holiday or Spring, but we were not looking at things the same way. I believe Sony should ship over 5 Million units for a Holiday launch, since PS4 was so successful and continues to sell well, they should plan PS5 as a console that will be at least as successful, with the initial shipments of PS4 being too low, it's an easy correction to make. I mean if Sony wants to sell 20 Million or more units in the first 13 months, it's better to launch in a Holiday month, that is all I was getting at. If there was some sort of production problem where they could only produce 15 Million or so, yeah Spring is good.

Ex-Psych

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't be wrong to say Nintendo has already hit 18 million as of today would it?

36 Chambers

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Despite what some people seem to think, the industry would be a dark place without Nintendo. Delighted to see them so healthy.

Once the homebrew and CFW scene really gets going I can see myself buying a Switch for flights and stuff

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
So with these numbers I think Switch will be higher than Ps4 for the quarter. Good results. Wish we got more info about third party sales.