• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I had to choose between Scalebound and MML3 I'd choose Scalebound just to see the reaction of Microsoft and Nintendo working together. This would show how good their relationship is and we'd get to see if Nintendo can work with Platinum to save it.

If I use my head though the answer is MML3. That's just wayyyyyyy easier to get done and on the Switch. It's one company being Capcom too who's not a competitor.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Wait wait wait, did anyone say Starcraft Ghost? C'mon that'd be great... Or is the rumor only about a Japanese developed game?

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Scalebound would probably cost a lot more to produce than MML3 I'm guessing?
For sure. Both projects would probably be completely rebooted on Switch, but Scalebound is by far the more ambitious title.
Wait wait wait, did anyone say Starcraft Ghost? C'mon that'd be great... Or is the rumor only about a Japanese developed game?
Any game is on the table. I think it's been too long since Starcraft Ghost, though.

Nov 8, 2017
Why wouldn't EA consent, if Nintendo has Lucasfilm's and Disney's blessing? Presumably, Nintendo would handle the marketing, retail distribution, etc. EA would never put its own Star Wars game on Switch anyway. All EA would have to do is accept a check.

They might, but deals like this have this annoying habit of being torpedoed when 3 or more parties are involved. Rare produced an updated XBLA version of Goldeneye 007 in the late 2000's that was something like 95% complete when Nintendo made a last minute arbitrary decision to pull the plug on it. They would have got the rights to release on VC for the game, Microsoft would get the updated version, and both parties would win. Instead they just squabbled. EA in general has never before expressed interest in doing remaster type releases and Nintendo hasn't acknowledged Rogue Squadron in a very long time.

I'd love for it to happen, Rogue Squadron 2 is such a nostalgic game for me and I still have my cube set up with that game ready to play. It's just one of those things that strikes me as implausible.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wait what did miss that people are entertaining MML3 getting uncanceled? My heart can't take false hope after I finally stopped expecting it to be brought back.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Someone make a thread for it and put scalebound in the title, add a poll as well so we can gauge what game most people think it might be.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah even though I don't want to get my hopes up for MML3, if the choices are that or Scalebound then it's MML3

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I can envision absolutely no scenario in which Konami would want to give up Silent Hills without charging Nintendo a small fortune, and I find it hard to believe EA would greenlight an exclusive Star Wars for Switch given contractual complexities of who does/does not own the license and financial expectations from EA and Disney shareholders.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Scalebound at least fits with the recurring theme of Nintendo wasting money on Platinum character action games that don't sell particularly well, haha.

RE: their relationship with Platinum

I think it's more about keeping a certian type of gamer engaged.
Not many devs are easy to work with, so I assume it just worked out for all involved that Nintendo found a studio that can cover a genre they don't do very well.

That's what platform holders are supposed to be doing anyways.

They learned their lesson with Wii chasing short term high selling games and ignoring the smaller scale titles which tend to keep certain types of players engaged, especially if those games are exclusive.

Nov 8, 2017
RE: their relationship with Platinum

I think it's more about keeping a certian type of gamer engaged.
Not many devs are easy to work with, so I assume it just worked out for all involved that Nintendo found a studio that can cover a genre they don't do very well.

That's what platform holders are supposed to be doing anyways.

They learned their lesson with Wii chasing short term high selling games and ignoring the smaller scale titles which tend to keep certain types of players engaged, especially if those games are exclusive.

The other side of the coin is that Platinum is one of the only large work for hire companies that are still around. The industry is getting snapped up by publishers and 1st parties left and right at a fairly alarming pace. Other publishers are pulling out of projects with Platinum so if Nintendo wants to boost its output without establishing whole new studios there really aren't that many developers they can turn to anymore. If they want to stick to Japan, even fewer.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
The other side of the coin is that Platinum is one of the only large work for hire companies that are still around. The industry is getting snapped up by publishers and 1st parties left and right at a fairly alarming pace. Other publishers are pulling out of projects with Platinum so if Nintendo wants to boost its output without establishing whole new studios there really aren't that many developers they can turn to anymore. If they want to stick to Japan, even fewer.

Right that's true as well and they're Japanese which fixes a lot of cultural issues Nintendo seem to have with their western partners.

Nintendo opened and funded a bunch of subsidaries and partnered studios in the early 2000s, NDcube, AlphaDream, Brownie Brown, Good Feel. I feel them working with Platinum falls under that umbrella of expanding development resources outside of Nintendo's core teams. It's not throwing money away in Platinum's case if it keeps a few million core players who buy 20 games a year engaged with the platform.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
My mind's telling me MML3

But my body, my body is telling me Scalebound

God I would be so happy if Scalebound got a second third shot.

When's Project H.A.M.M.E.R. tho

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I can envision absolutely no scenario in which Konami would want to give up Silent Hills without charging Nintendo a small fortune...

But what if, at least since we're just spit-balling, it was more of a mutual thing where a) Nintendo sees the opportunity for an exclusive survival horror title on their console and is willing to fund it and b) Konami, after already seeing how easy this is when they just loan out the licenses to their properties and let 'em have it, goes in with Nintendo on such an endeavor? It doesn't have to be 100% a revival of Silent Hills, itself, as I don't think they could even get Kojima or del Toro, let anybody else associated with the old project. But a new, from the ground up Silent Hill game would still be something that I think would be more than worth it.

And assuming there's still the possibility of a Castlevania game on Switch that we have yet to see (at least, going by Vergeben's rumors), all of that, plus Super Bomberman R, Hyper Sports R, and the recently revealed YGO all are indicators of a healthy relationship between Nintendo and Konami, with maybe at least one "major" franchise being an option, as well.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Buying Platinum would be a mistake when they can just outsource to them. Personally I don't get all the fuss about their games, they seem pretty average to me.

Oct 26, 2017
I legit wonder how Scalebound would play into my thread about Nintendo ever buying Platinum. Intriguing timing it is.

It won't. Canceled collaborations aren't something that you can just suddenly release on a competitor's platform. There are going to be ironclad clauses in the initial deal between Microsoft and Platinum that protect the work from ever seeing the light of day in the event of a cancellation.

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The Rogue Squadron trilogy being revived would be amazing, purely for the fact that the best Star Wars game released under EA's tenure would be one not made by them.

SuperBlank

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Well the extent of its belovedness is largely within resetera. Elsewhere people are less emphatic. Not that it's bad or anything.

It won't. Canceled collaborations aren't something that you can just suddenly release on a competitor's platform. There are going to be ironclad clauses in the initial deal between Microsoft and Platinum that protect the work from ever seeing the light of day in the event of a cancellation.
It would be possible if Nintendo and MS reached an agreement, though.

But I don't know if Scalebound is worth that.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of games have been canceled over the years, but usually behind the scenes where we find out from rumors after the fact. If we are looking at ones that made a lot of news, these are what come to mind for me as some reasonable guesses(assuming its not a Nintendo game):

Cry On
Megaman Legends 3
Megaman Universe
Star Wars 1313(or other recently canned EA Star Wars stuff)
Scalebound
Silent Hills
Castlevania 1999
Prey 2

Of course there are many more cancelled games over years, but most are games that were never really officially announced or officially cancelled, so the list isn't really that large when it comes to games that were cancelled publicly.

What if its Baten kaitos 3, wasnt a third one in development but got canned?

Yes there was a Baten Kaitos DS in development at one point. I don't know if that jives with the rumor being non Nintendo developed. It was never really officially announced or canceled though.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
I'm shocked people are honestly entertaining and even expecting Scalebound lol

1. PlatinumGames has probably all but spent its workforce between Astral Chain, Bayonetta 3, Babylon's Fall, Granblue Fantasy Relink, and chipping away at their own self published games like they said they wanted to do. Even if let's say most of the team on Astral Chain finished their job months before release and you group them with the Granblue people, they would have just barely began like yesterday or something, which would have somehow leaked immediately. It wouldn't be out for a good 3 years.

2. The legality of ownership for Scalebound is a mess that would never be touched. Thus resources and vision would need to be created from scratch which is quite expensive tovrevive the concept from the dead especially with the scope we saw before it was cancelled

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I can envision absolutely no scenario in which Konami would want to give up Silent Hills without charging Nintendo a small fortune, and I find it hard to believe EA would greenlight an exclusive Star Wars for Switch given contractual complexities of who does/does not own the license and financial expectations from EA and Disney shareholders.

Why would it cost a small fortune? The project is dead.its a win win situation kind of thing where Nintendo gets a good exclusive and Konami a risk free licencing deal.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I can envision absolutely no scenario in which Konami would want to give up Silent Hills without charging Nintendo a small fortune
I don't think the game is Silent Hills, but Konami wouldn't give it up. It's not like the Scalebound scenario where Microsoft would need to sell the IP to Nintendo (or let them use it).
Nintendo would pay the bill for Silent Hills, Konami would do the game exclusively for the Switch because it would be published by Nintendo. Bayonetta style : Sega doesn't want to pay the bill to make a new one, Nintendo steps in.

timrtabor123

Feb 11, 2019
if I had to guess at the revived game rumor (keep in mind the cancelation needed to be public in some form):

Goldeneye remaster as a XBLA/Switch Online Store release plus original on N64 Classic (easiest and cheapest of the potential games on list to make especially with how the last Sony Bond film underperformed)

Mother 3 or Dinosaur Planet remake(err re-port? Retroactive artistic reversal?) for N64 Classic

Super Mario 64-2 (Maybe they have enough Oddessy multiplayer stats+3D World sales figures to give this another go)

Pilotwings Reboot from GameCube era (Factor 5 rose from their grave recently)