Oct 27, 2017
The main difference is that while PS4 has Christmas during the 9 month span, Switch hasn't.

So Switch should be ahead of PS4 in the first year compare.

On the other hand, the PS4 launched against the Xbox One and was released in Japan several months later, this kinda balance the whole thing I would say. But yeah, monster debut for both in any case.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
10mmrs6c.png

Well done :)
Well the Waifu part is not wrong lol, Marina, Twintelle, Min Min, Pearl for japan lol, Squid Sisters back, Fire Emblem, Zelda, Peach, Pauline and more.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
So glad the Switch is doing great. Terrific system. I'm really enjoying it.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are some of you really reading into why Nintendo didn't include a Xenoblade 2 quote? lol

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
So this number is from a third of the way into December, does anyone know when the bulk of December console sales happen? Is it spread out evenly throughout the month or end loaded to be closer to Christmas?

I could see 3M more by the end of the month but that will definitely depend on the supply they can provide to Japan.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this around what we expecting based off numbers we had previously? 10 mil in the first 9 months seems decent.

kitsuneyo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
I believed it was DOA after seeing the system and UK price reveal. Also that I wouldn't even consider buying until a price cut happened. Wrong on both counts!

LordOcidax

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved, Nintendo can sell 4 Million WW this christmas easily, if they have the system in stock.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Holy smokes, that's quite a lot of units.

Love my Switch, probably my second favorite gaming purchase of the year.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
So anyone want to take guesses on where Zelda, Splatoon, Mario Kart, and Mario are?
I'm gonna day all 4 will be passed 6 Million by the end of the fiscal year.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
You mean this year? PS4 sold over 10 million in less than 6 months this year. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_4#Sales
PS4 is in its peak year.

People were looking for first-year comparisons. PS4 sold 10m slightly faster, but it had the benefit of a holiday launch and a shorter period of supply shortages.

We're still basically in the mode where Switch is selling through close to 100% of its shipments. I dunno how true that was for PS4 at this point in its life.

SnowCrow

Oct 25, 2017
Add me to that number soon, buying mine this week.

Earliest I'll ever have bought a system from release. It really is something special.

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats.
You have enough money for a new Wave Race & F-Zero game now!
I'm waiting!

PS4 is in its peak year.

People were looking for first-year comparisons. PS4 sold 10m slightly faster, but it had the benefit of a holiday launch and a shorter period of supply shortages.

We're still basically in the mode where Switch is selling through close to 100% of its shipments. I dunno how true that was for PS4 at this point in its life.
The PS4 had supply shortages that lastet well over half a year. And Nintendo had a November (Black Friday, Cyber Monday....) too for those 10 million sales, including 10 days of December.

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
The Switch Spirit Bombs keeps growing and growing.

2018 better be even more amazing than 2017.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
It's just a funny. No further analysis needed than that.

and by all accounts thus far Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is th best selling in the series and sold fine FWIW

Source? I know it had the biggest opening in Japan, but didn't hear anything about its western performance.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Its a great, great system. I can see it honestly getting close to Wii numbers if Nintendo support it long enough and it reduces in price suitably. Especially if they release a refined handheld only version that fixes the issues with using it as a handheld (battery life and controller comfort).

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
So Switch will basically outsell Wii U lifetimes sales in one year. This really puts into perspective just much of a failure the Wii U was. Crazy. And still Nintendo first party titles sold millions on the Wii U. Pretty crazy as well.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 first year shipped = 13.5M
PS4 9 months including Christmas = 9M
Nintendo Switch 9 months w/o Christmas = 9M

Nintendo Switch will have no problem to beat the PS4's first year sales.

Edit: Also interesting, Sony sold through 5M copies between 14th November and 4th for January (18-5M sold through in about 13 1/2 months).

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Source? I know it had the biggest opening in Japan, but didn't hear anything about its western performance.

The UK too. And we don't have concrete numbers or official confirmation but it's very likely done the same in France at least too.

We'll have to wait a bit longer to find out its performance in the Americas.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's my main gaming device currently. It's so compelling. And the software is just great. Up there with Saturn and Dreamcast in my most beloved hardware list :)

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 is in its peak year.

PS4 was fairly supply constrained at launch ,so much so that the Xbox One outsold it in NA in December.

--

Fantastic result for Switch.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
10 million already means it has a slight chance of beating Wii U after december ends. It should have no problem doing that in Japan and Europe but US will be hard.