• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Time for the court half of 1-5. This case has unsurprisingly been considerably more interesting than the other ones so far. I have a feeling it's not gonna answer that many questions in the end, though.

Also (1-5) lol at these fucking jurors

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Aaaaaand that's that, second game finished at 2 in the morning. Again thoroughly enjoyed it, as an overall package it told a fantastic story with extremely likeable, quirky and fun characters. The animation, music and twists were as great as I hoped they'd be for an AA game, not going to go into spoiler territory here but I enjoyed most cases and was not at all disappointed in where the games concluded. I say games as I was also very satisfied with the first game as well, although I understand why some weren't especially back in 2015.

Gonna need a lot longer to let the whole experience stew some more but I just need to wholeheartedly recommend this game once more. It's brilliant.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished Episode 1, it's a bit hand-holdy but I guess understandable for newcomers and new mechanics? I enjoyed it still though.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Just played through TGAA1-3 and wow what a case. I was truly taken aback there.

And I honestly can see why people feel TGAA1 feels incomplete 3 cases in. It feels like everything is still being set-up, and I only have two more cases to go until TGAA2
The more I think about it, the next AA game should be episodic. They can release 5+ cases every month or so, so they can tell an overarching plot over one season instead of in 3 separate games (and have to conk out 5 cases each game)

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a little surprised there aren't more reactions to GAA1-5's jury

Garrideb is back and he's eyeballing the maid, the typist upgraded her equipment, that old man is a doctor, and HOLY CRAP! HE'S REAL!?

I was laughing for a good long minute at that

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
So I'm still early in GAA 2-2 but in general I'm annoyed that
as an excuse to have Susato around, we have this bull shit retcon mystery that happened in between 1-4 and 1-5 to try and justify some of the plot ideas in 1-5 and answer the remaining questions from 1-4.

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
I have not played these games yet, I understand there is a jury system? I know that was introduced in AA4 but I have yet to play AA4-6 (patiently waiting for them to ever come to modern consoles), is the jury system re-explained in these games or?

addik

Oct 28, 2017
I have not played these games yet, I understand there is a jury system? I know that was introduced in AA4 but I have yet to play AA4-6 (patiently waiting for them to ever come to modern consoles), is the jury system re-explained in these games or?

Yep they explain the mechanics pretty clearly. I havent played AA4-6 and just finished the first case involving them.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
One specific thing that has been playing over and over in my mind for hours now that I need to mention and praise since completing the game in its entirety:

I just can't get over the 10-15 minute scene where you play as Mikotoba. It's just so, so, so good. The part when you deduce the ice in the drink and he does the little tap dance complemented by the amazing and wholly unique to the scene music makes for one of the best ever AA moments as far as I'm concerned. Makes me feel awful as well for being suspicious of Mikotoba before his true identity and relation to Shlomes was disclosed.

Really looking forward to seeing people's reactions to that scene in particular.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

How the jury system works in GAA is pretty different to how it worked in AA4.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

The jury system is only a gameplay system in Ace Attorney V Professor Layton. AA4 only mentions it from a story perspective. But it is explained since its pretty different.

Oct 25, 2017

Garrideb is back and he's eyeballing the maid, the typist upgraded her equipment, that old man is a doctor, and HOLY CRAP! HE'S REAL!?

yeah the escalation of absurdity with the jury over the course of the game was wonderful. Juror #6 in particular got me good.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
All the english-isms in the dialogue hits me in the sweet spot, years of my old man using rhyming slang is paying off dividends.

Hah, I didn't notice that first point.

Nov 15, 2017
as an excuse to have Susato around, we have this bull shit retcon mystery that happened in between 1-4 and 1-5 to try and justify some of the plot ideas in 1-5 and answer the remaining questions from 1-4.

I don't know if retcon would be the right word since it was already planned at the point of the first game. Shamspeare and Mieterman making an appearance in 1-4 was basically just "Haha look forward to their appearance in 2-2" and in 1-5 they actually reference events that happen in 2-2 when you talk to Garrideb on the jury. I'm guessing you mean you just don't like the idea of a previously untold flashback case in general

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
I wouldn't call it a retcon, definitely not a bullshit one anyway, as it was clearly planned from the start. Shamspeare and Metermann both show up in 1-4, and I recall Garrideb alluding to this case when he was on the jury in 1-5. I can get disliking their being a "hidden" case or a sudden shift in chronology, but I don't think the word retcon properly captures those complaints.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is kind of a barebones PC port. The game doesn't handle resolution scaling well (1440p and 1800p don't look right, especially the text) and I have to mess around with the exe properties to get 4K working properly. And it seems to be locked to a stuttery 30fps. There's minimal scrolling and animation so it's not that big a deal. I guess it's to be expected for such a niche game. But at least it works and looks fine. Love how so many of the animations are similar to the original game hah.

I haven't played one of these games since the first one, so it feels kinda nice going back to the world's most ridiculous courtroom lol. Finished the first trial, now on to the second one. Seems I'm gonna have to defend myself again...ehhhh.

Last edited:

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Finished 1-5 and with that, the first game.

Finally, a proper fucking Ace Attorney case. It sucks that it took the game this long to start feeling like a real AA title, but it finally got there. Really enjoyed this one a lot.

That said, if taken as a single game, GAA 1 really was pretty weak. It actually answers way more questions than I expected it to in the end, but there's something fundamentally wrong when it feels like it really only gets going in the very last case. I can appreciate the ways they mess around with the AA formula and player expectations throughout the game, but I feel like they should've put more thought into making cases 1-4 feel satisfying on their own, too.

I disagree that GAA 1 doesn't have a more or less finished story of its own to tell, I just think it wasn't executed very well.

That said, case 5 definitely was such a leap in quality from the rest of the game that now I'm again optimistic about GAA 2. I hope it can keep this up. The sequel hook at the end of GAA 1 is extremely intriguing too and I'm very excited to find out where that particular plot thread goes.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Escapades are hilarious. I would even recommend viewing the first two directly after case 1 because you get a lot of hilarious moments from Kazuma there. They really help sell Ryu and Kazuma as best friends.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure it's been said enough in this thread, but it must be reiterated how much smoother the pacing is of 2-1 compared to 1-1.
Fun trial, to the point and already making use of what GAA1 set up, if this is a sign of the game to come this could be a top entry.

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the first game.
While there are signs of a complete story, it has waaaay more loose ends than any previous title. Making it clear that playing the second game afterwards is basically a requirement. I feel bad for Japanese players that had to wait two years. I guess in a way, the long wait for us was lucky. Thanks Conan-Doyle estate you greedy bastards.

But yeah, I will echo that the pacing felt really off. I did appreciate some of the subversions though.
Second case having no trial, third case having a legit guilty client but he manages to get off through his power (compared to Matt Engarde who was legit guilty but you manage to maneuver around his plan and get the guilty verdict, even if he has to beg for it).

I did enjoy correcting Sh- I mean Herlock's deductions. An interesting move to make him a moron.

DarkStream

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a little confused.
I finished the first case and started the second one

I'm starting out on a ship. It feels like I'm missing story in-between. I have no idea why I'm on the ship. Did I miss something or is this intended?

PC port mod (improves performance)

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
This is kind of a barebones PC port. The game doesn't handle resolution scaling well (1440p and 1800p don't look right, especially the text) and I have to mess around with the exe properties to get 4K working properly. And it seems to be locked to a stuttery 30fps. There's minimal scrolling and animation so it's not that big a deal. I guess it's to be expected for such a niche game. But at least it works and looks fine. Love how so many of the animations are similar to the original game hah.[/ispoiler].
I highly recommend this mod, it's a game changer: https://github.com/AdmiralCurtiss/dgs_hackfix/releases

RRW

Oct 26, 2017
One specific thing that has been playing over and over in my mind for hours now that I need to mention and praise since completing the game in its entirety:

I just can't get over the 10-15 minute scene where you play as Mikotoba. It's just so, so, so good. The part when you deduce the ice in the drink and he does the little tap dance complemented by the amazing and wholly unique to the scene music makes for one of the best ever AA moments as far as I'm concerned. Makes me feel awful as well for being suspicious of Mikotoba before his true identity and relation to Shlomes was disclosed.

Really looking forward to seeing people's reactions to that scene in particular.

yep, definitely my highlight of the game. The theme play during that scene is also my fav music in entire game

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Now if modders just came up with a way to make the text skip less annoying to use lol

Anyway, just started GAA 2 or 2-1 and this is a promising start, for sure.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the first game.

I absolutely get the grievances people have with it, especially when it came out, but this is exactly the shake up I wanted from the series after how stale it's got on the 3DS. I was a bit ho hum after the first 2 cases but ultimately came out loving it. Even taking it as a standalone title and not just one part of a greater whole, I'd still put it over Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice personally.

Feb 8, 2020
This really was a great case. I'm sad that I'd been spoiled on the outcome beforehand (thanks AA Wiki), but I wasn't sure of how everything went down. It was fun to watch it all play out. I know nothing else about the rest of the first or second games, so I'm excited going forward.

I'm a big fan of Herlock so far and the various references to Holmes canon. I think he may end up being one of my favorite AA characters in general if things keep up with him.

Oct 28, 2017
Finished 1-5 and with that, the first game.

Finally, a proper fucking Ace Attorney case. It sucks that it took the game this long to start feeling like a real AA title, but it finally got there. Really enjoyed this one a lot.

That said, if taken as a single game, GAA 1 really was pretty weak. It actually answers way more questions than I expected it to in the end, but there's something fundamentally wrong when it feels like it really only gets going in the very last case. I can appreciate the ways they mess around with the AA formula and player expectations throughout the game, but I feel like they should've put more thought into making cases 1-4 feel satisfying on their own, too.

I disagree that GAA 1 doesn't have a more or less finished story of its own to tell, I just think it wasn't executed very well.

That said, case 5 definitely was such a leap in quality from the rest of the game that now I'm again optimistic about GAA 2. I hope it can keep this up. The sequel hook at the end of GAA 1 is extremely intriguing too and I'm very excited to find out where that particular plot thread goes.

Gotta echo this, 1-5 felt like twice as long as the other cases and although I really enjoyed most of the other cases they did feel almost akin to a VN in how the mysteries weren't all that challenging and the answers all kinda seemed obvious and given to you. In 1-5 I actually had to think about alot of the answers and it helped to finally have a court record that wasn't like... 4 pieces of evidence for once.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
If I had to rank just GAA1 in a vacuum it'd be near the bottom of my AA ranking list, but I don't feel it's a game you can properly judge stand alone.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I don't know if retcon would be the right word since it was already planned at the point of the first game. Shamspeare and Mieterman making an appearance in 1-4 was basically just "Haha look forward to their appearance in 2-2" and in 1-5 they actually reference events that happen in 2-2 when you talk to Garrideb on the jury. I'm guessing you mean you just don't like the idea of a previously untold flashback case in general
There is a moment at the start of 1-5 where Susato says that Naruhodo has been victorious in court "twice," but that's the only issue I noticed. It would've been easy for them to change that line to "more than once" so I dunno how that ended up in there when packaged with the second game.

Alent

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
Just finished GAA1-3 and this game really has been turning all the typical AA conventions on its head, geeze. It's great!

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Just started the second case.
Poor Ryunosuke dealing with back to back murder accusations.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Well, finally wrapped up 2-5. With that, I guess I ought to reflect on Resolve...

Episode 1 - In a similar vein to GAA-1, this case does a nice job of building Susato's character and clearing up part of the ending of 1-5. Whilst a simpler mystery to 1-1, it is also much better paced. A decent tutorial, in other words; but the lack of the Pursue mechanic always stood out to me.

Episode 2 - I wasn't quite expecting a flashback, and I'm not sure whether the set-up for the case is contrived or not, but this case straight away goes to show that GAA2 fixes the biggest issue with GAA; the pacing (by virtue of returning to the standard AA case structure). Despite being a filler case until the very end with the Professor's dog collar, it was still an fairly intriguing mystery. Soseki is also a good character, so in all, this was a good case.

Episode 3 - Now, the game really gets doing. Putting aside revelations surrounding Kazuma for a second, this case has a great mystery tied into a great backstory (the Professor "coming back to life", an incident which is itself worthy of a case; which, technically, is true). The character development for Van Zieks is especially noteworthy, alongside the second Dance of Deduction segment in Drebber's house. Special mention goes to Sholmes acting as a waxwork as well. I also like that Gina grows and becomes an apprenctice of Gregson. The twist at the end that Drebber did not kill the victim was also not expected; the way he acts (by blowing up the contraption) makes you think he did (and I'd wager he thought he had as well). When combined with final twist that the Professor was Kazuma's father Genshin (or, at this point, belived to be, seeing as we know it was really Klint Van Zieks), and the return of Susato, it's a very good case. Once again, the pacing was also very good.

Episode 4 - Straight away, you can tell stuff is beginning to kick off when Van Zieks is arrested. This case parallels The Cosmic Turnabout from DD in many ways; it introduces a bigger incident which is resolved in the next episode. Otherwise, fighting againt Kazuma (with his excellent "A Prosecutor, Reborn" theme) was a highlight (which continues into GAA2-5) and does a lot to build his character. Like many fourth cases, this one is a bit of comedic relief, with the Red-Headed League; but even still, it does a great job of hinting that Gregson was up to no good as part of the Reaper. It's hard to judge this one on its' own, when like DD-4, it is just part of one case split into two. Still, it was really enjoyable. I do find it surprising that the Jury are ditched for the rest of the game; it means that they're used even less than GAA.

Final Chapter - In all, this was a great ending. It was well-paced, and did a great job at tying up all the loose ends across both games (the Profesor, the Reaper, the list of names, Kazuma's 'death', how Susato knew the manuscript name, Iris's father, what Brett was up to in GAA-1, et al). Stronghart is perhaps an obvious villain - I had an inkling even back in GAA-3 - but he plays the role well; in particular, I like the fact that he takes over as the judge (which is a first). Small touches such as him controlling the balls of fire used in the Scales of Justice and his oddly... unicorn-shaped gavel, when combined with the variation in common music themes, make the case just feel climactic. A particularly standout moment is the Dance of Deduction with Mikotoba and Sholmes as they rush to find Jigoku; the use of "Partners - The Game is Afoot!" makes the moment stick out all the more. The way Sholmes saves the day twice was also really good. It's also an oddly emotional ending; which continues to show that the characters in both games are a big highlight - I was silently hopeful that Susato would return to Japan, so I was happy when that happened.

With that, I have to now rank the games as follows:

AAI2 -> GAA2 -> T&T -> SoJ -> AA (the original) -> DD -> GAA -> AAI -> AJ -> JFA

Like many have said, GAA is a slightly more middling AA game when viewed on its' own. When put together with GAA2, it acts as a wonderful "Act One" that introduces the characters well, and begins to foreshadow at a greater mystery.

If you've only played some of the original trilogy, or just want a damn good visual novel; I'd wholeheartedly recommend Chronicles. Just be sure to see it through to the end, even in light of some pacing problem during Adventures.

Last edited:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I feel embarrassed to admit this, but I'm halfway through GAA2-2 and I've misread Barok van Zieks as "Baron van Zieks" this whole time 😬

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the second game. Absolutely amazing. I think if you take GAA 1 and 2 as a single game, it's probably the best in the Ace Attorney series. Just having the extended time and number of cases to make threads happen through and all the twists and turns made it a tremendous ride.

Sholmes is probably one of my favourite characters in all games now.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
Started 1-4 earlier today. Hoping this one is going to be more fun the previous three

Even though I enjoyed but didn't like one shared aspect, I still need more! Glad there's a second game after this

Hresvelg

Feb 22, 2020
I'm playing through GAA1-4 right now and I'm stuck.

edit: As soon as I posted this I figured it out lol
you have to select the candlestick, not the candle itself...

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm playing through GAA1-4 right now and I'm stuck.

During the course correction bit, I'm supposed to point out the candle on the floor as the reason why the carpet caught fire but I can't for the life of me select it, it only shows up as 'carpet'. Am I doing something wrong?

Where would that candle have come from? I think the answer is the candlesticks on the table, but it has been a few days since I beat 1-4 so I apologise if that isn't the answer.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Holy fucking shit, the visuals in the second deduction sequence in 2-3 are so cool.

Also, the case itself is incredible so far. I'm really loving how much each case in 2 deliberately mirrors certain ones in 1, while also slowly explaining each of 1's dangling mysteries.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The second case of GAA1 has annoyed me greatly.

what a meaningless and pointless end to a character I immediately liked a lot in the first case...

Oh well.