DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
The more I play the game the more I love it and start changing how I feel about things. Like wow I am loving the story.

I am super sad Jesse died though, I loved Jesse. Dude was really awesome.
IDK why I clicked this...Seattle Day 1 again I guess is something that happens later on...because that DEFINITELY does not happen in the first Seattle day 1....fuck man...please make this more apparent in your post. FUCK

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone give me an idea roughly how many more hours I have left? I think I'm near the end.
Abby just had a nightmare (on the boat with Owen) about the two scar kids and has now decided to go find them.
Oh you'll be surprised. Maybe 8 to 10 hours.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I seriously hate how stupid people are man...literally the 1 time I come into this thread since release.

I bet they did it on purpose to fucking scumbag.

It is sad because I managed to stay spoiler free for 2 months now considering the leaks...

I like to come here to update my progression but yeah this is fucked up, I am just going to bail out from TLOU2 threads

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I swear, if Ashley doesnt win an award for this game I dont know what I'll do.

The end to Day 2 broke my fucking heart.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
I just did. Sorry. Played a ton last night and just some now. Probably could've worded the title better due to how it progresses.
Good job. How do you put a spoiler like that in a Tag without any wording prior that it has something major in it? I swear some of you people don't think before you type. Sorry If I'm coming off dickish but I've spent months successfully not getting spoiled and then for it to happen in a poorly thought out post really ticks me off.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I think we must have played a very different game. This game is so above and beyond everything else in the industry that I don't see any other studio topping this for a very long time and probably until the next Naughty Dog game. I beat the game this morning and nothing, nothing comes close to what I had just played through and experienced the last 5 days. The storytelling is complex and extremely well done, I can see the heavy HBO/Westworld influence with the branching storylines and cutting back and forth in time.

The Best "Interactive Experience" of All Time, because calling this just a game is a disservice to what Naughty Dog pulled off here. While you're entitled to your own opinion, there is a reason why unanimously almost everyone is calling this a masterpiece, it is simply the best game I have ever played period. You might not have liked it yourself as much but it doesn't change the fact that this is the evolution of the medium playing out right in front of us.

Playing anything else immediately after LOU2 is so jarring and such a step down that it really makes you appreciate what was created by this massively talented studio and writers. RDR2 is the only thing I can think of that comes remotely close.
This is so over the top I don't even know how to respond lol

Gameplay is not a maybe for me. It's much better than the first. Level design, encounter design, systems, puzzles, exploration: all better in this. I'd say it's the best WWS game in terms of pure gameplay (and technical prowess).
Only reason I'm a little iffy on gameplay is because of how easy it is. It's same as how I feel about Arkham Asylum vs Arkham City. City gives you much more freedom and options in combat, whereas Asylum is tougher because you have limited options and there's less to abuse. You gotta play tight in TLOU1 (or Asylum). Here you can bail out of basically of almost any situation super easily.

you're right about puzzles though. It's a pity they didn't do more with the insane rope physics. I guess they heard the feedback on crates from the last game and U4 and reigned themselves in

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Can someone give me an idea roughly how many more hours I have left? I think I'm near the end.
Abby just had a nightmare (on the boat with Owen) about the two scar kids and has now decided to go find them.
~60%. I'd say a good 8-10 hours left, maybe more depending on difficulty.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I warned people about the Seattle Day X posts, the game's chronology isn't straight forward like that. Use chapter titles (they're on your save)

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Nah its a terrible way to hide that spoiler. No one has ever accidentally spoiled anything like that by just saying

Either "after day 3" or "day 4".

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Soupman Prime s spoiler was probably one of the better ways to hide the spoiler but I probably wouldn't have put the spoiler that way because of the confusion.
Yeah. I didn't want the title to be a spoiler itself. Should've worded it differently to differentiate or just stayed clear of stuff like that till I graduate to the actual spoiler thread.

My bad to anyone who saw it and didn't know. Sorry, didn't mean to spoil even a lil bit of the story.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
I think we must have played a very different game. This game is so above and beyond everything else in the industry that I don't see any other studio topping this for a very long time and probably until the next Naughty Dog game. I beat the game this morning and nothing, nothing comes close to what I had just played through and experienced the last 5 days. The storytelling is complex and extremely well done, I can see the heavy HBO/Westworld influence with the branching storylines and cutting back and forth in time.

The Best "Interactive Experience" of All Time, because calling this just a game is a disservice to what Naughty Dog pulled off here. While you're entitled to your own opinion, there is a reason why unanimously almost everyone is calling this a masterpiece, it is simply the best game I have ever played period. You might not have liked it yourself as much but it doesn't change the fact that this is the evolution of the medium playing out right in front of us.

Playing anything else immediately after LOU2 is so jarring and such a step down that it really makes you appreciate what was created by this massively talented studio and writers. RDR2 is the only thing I can think of that comes remotely close.

so, 'the onion reviews the last of us part 2'?...

Temperance

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
So has anyone gone back to revisit the original reveal trailer? Think it was a masterfully crafted trailer tbh.

I was team #joelghost since day 1

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
I just did. Sorry. Played a ton last night and just some now. Probably could've worded the title better due to how it progresses.
I guess from your perspective you were being prudent with the "AGAIN" at the end but from my perspective the "AGAIN" signaled you posting about something from Seattle Day 1 again.

In that case I take back the ugly shit I said, but I hope you can understand how I feel about it since people will try to spoil shit like that under the guise of a mistake all the time on the internet. Either way, I'm sorry for the harsh words.

I warned people about the Seattle Day X posts, the game's chronology isn't straight forward like that. Use chapter titles (they're on your save)
This would have been very nice to know before stepping back into this thread lol

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
I guess from your perspective you were being prudent with the "AGAIN" at the end but from my perspective the "AGAIN" signaled you posting about something from Seattle Day 1 again.

In that case I take back the ugly shit I said, but I hope you can understand how I feel about it since people will try to spoil shit like that under the guise of a mistake all the time on the internet. Either way, I'm sorry for the harsh words.

This would have been very nice to know before stepping back into this thread lol
I'll take the harsh words, no problems at all. I went into the game spoiler free, stay cleared off YouTube and the huge spoiler thread here so I'd hate to ruin the game for someone via a spoiler.

It's my fault. I'll use chapters now if I really wanna talk about something. I should just beat the game but I go super slow with every encounter and didn't wanna beat the game in a few days.

Stantron

Dec 5, 2017
this is honestly one of the most impressive mechanics of all time in gaming.

not only the effort that was making it, but the player's effort on mastering and playing whole songs in it.
That's freaking awesome. I kinda wish they made each chord set a separate button though rather than L1/R1 to cycle through.
~60%. I'd say a good 8-10 hours left, maybe more depending on difficulty.
Thank you.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
That's freaking awesome. I kinda wish they made each chord set a separate button though rather than L1/R1 to cycle through.

i found a little hard to get the right strings on the touchpad but it's clear laziness on my part since many people are posting covers on it lmao

this is fucking amazing.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I got to say, now that we've seen more of Owen's story/Abby's crew and spent time in the aquarium, the way Ellie just kills everyone there feels like a depressing slap in the face. Like damn, Ellie, you really did them dirty. Whenever the plot finally circles back to that fateful Ellie-Abby confrontation, going to feel really conflicted. Honestly at this point, Ellie feels way more in the wrong in how she and Tommy are wiping out Abby's entire friend group compared to Abby killing Joel

Also getting to the sky bridges gives me the weirdest Uncharted vibes. Navigating the environment that is half concrete jungle/half actual raging-river jungle, kind of captures the same adventurous feeling as exploring some ancient ruin in Uncharted for me

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna tell you what this game needs: more threads on Resetera.

I was thinking about creating a thread about the combat, but I can probably sum up its main talking points here:

- especially after watching avengers war table, there is no enemy that is merely "fodder" in tlou2. It makes a difference in that having no fodder makes you more likely to want to play, not less likely.

- when you are hit, you suffer at least one of a vision, movement, orientation, or position penalty. You are never in the same state or position after being hit. Most games you're at full mobility always until your health meter is empty. Here you have to make at least one move on your own to regain mobility, and much of the time that move is not a counterattack.

- Enemies in games usually have two motivations - "find you" or "notice you", and their movement and attack patterns can be characterized most of the time as "confident, but not precise." TLOU2 isn't different from that, yet it is because the enemy weapons and attacks are actually appropriately dangerous to you, and each attack causes a status change rather than just a subtraction of health.

vicoakland

Nov 28, 2017
- when you are hit, you suffer at least one of a vision, movement, orientation, or position penalty. You are never in the same state or position after being hit. Most games you're at full mobility always until your health meter is empty. Here you have to make at least one move on your own to regain mobility, and much of the time that move is not a counterattack.

Excellent observation. While it's not unique, it's also the fluidity of moving into/out of these stages and phases of penalties that adds immediacy and immersion to combat. When there's two of us, I've set the ally setting up one notch to be more lethal and have really noticed some nice instances where my ally felt like they were providing cover for me in a very meaningful way while I pursued cover to reset myself after being hit. I do not think this is actually happening from an AI perspective, but I do think the illusion of this coordination feels more plausible and only adds to what you're observing: a rush of meaningful, fluid decisions and reactions mid-combat that aren't just "gun till you can't anymore."

(I think the combined ally combat in Mass Effect games played with this 'multiple things at once feeling' but in a different way?)

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Whew. 🔥

Now I want this. Give me that Dino Crisis successor !

I'm kind of annoyed that this idea popped into my head, because I can't stop noodling around with the concept in my head. Not necessarily a Jurassic Park game specifically, but a dinosaur game that plays like this in general.

Back to TLOU2, I believe I'm approaching the denouement, and man, what a fantastic ride this game has been. I'm really, really disappointed in gamers. I was talking to my friend about it the other day, and she was like, "I heard the game was bad and it was getting terrible reviews." Just, the spiteful, entitled, petty behavior of some gamers is really infuriating to me. For all the talk of wanting gaming to be "taken seriously," and treated with respect, they certainly don't represent in a way that warrants it.

Logan Hardy

Dec 26, 2018
I would recommend playing on hard then. I played my first run on hard and the AI was great, but still not without issue (there are still instances where I could cheese the system). However, it was a great challenge, and would recommend even maybe bumping it up to survivor.

I'm playing on Hard+ on my second run and the AI is noticably better. For example, it takes infected only a fraction of a second to notice you compared to my playthrough on hard. So I will say that you should adjust certain settings since the game has a lot of options to fit your skill level and play style.
You can adjust the difficulty separately so if you want to keep things like item scarcity but kick up the enemy AI, it lets you do that. I would highly recommend going Hard or above though on some of the options. Normal is way too easy imo.

I do love the way the enemies try to flush you out and they do cover a lot of angles so it does take some planning if you want to pick them off one by one. I've been booby-trapping the bodies or hitting them with a molotov when they are grouped up. The AI is actually really good, it just takes too long to detect you on easier difficulties.
But will they do something on hard like they see bodies and run and come back with backup or something??

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Quick gameplay question

I picked up the cover ops manual then died, and since the puzzle I was doing didn't resetI assumed it saved but it didn't and I couldn't reload the save. Am I shit out of luck on shivs for Abby?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Quick gameplay question

I picked up the cover ops manual then died, and since the puzzle I was doing didn't resetI assumed it saved but it didn't and I couldn't reload the save. Am I shit out of luck on shivs for Abby?
You should be able to replay the chapter

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Ok I'm going to vent here for a minute I guess...why are there so many tlou2 threads!?! I swear I have blocked/ignored 20+ threads so far and so many recently are very borderline spoilery titled and it's annoying. Prob why I feel like I have to rush through the game atm.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Just finished it...

I need a second play through to confirm for sure (though a second play through has never changed my opinion of any game I've ever played), and I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I honestly believe this may actually be my favourite game of all time.

To put that into perspective, my fave game of all time hasn't changed in 23 years. Hell, my top 2 hasn't changed in 16 years. That's how much of an impact this game had on me, not necessarily just in terms of narrative or characterisation, but the gameplay for me is simply without peer in the genre, as are the visuals and sound design. Everything about it was just benchmark pushing.

This was a massive, unique, rivetting and immensely powerful experience, from beginning to end, one that I don't think I'll ever forget.

I feel like it put me through the entire gamut of emotions, and was packed to the brim full of incredible and memorable moments. My jaw was on the floor more times than I could count.

I can't believe how meaty the experience and journey was too, almost as if it could have been multiple games worth in terms of overall content.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't without its faults, for example the pacing was off here and there, I feel there could be more environmental or artistic diversity (too much takes place in a dreary Seattle), I also feel a few characters were slightly undercooked and their fates lacking a bit of impact as a result, but these things are mostly nitpicks. The game ultimately had more highs than any game I've played in recent memory.

Despite the original still to this day being one of the best games ever made, with one of gamings best stories and set of characters, the sequel somehow makes it seem slightly small in comparison. The sequel is bigger, deeper, bolder, more daring and more complex in almost every way, for me it's the overall better game too.

Amusingly, I was one of those who wasn't sure if I wanted a sequel or if one was even necessary, but what a fool I was.

I want to do a proper in-depth review at some point, but thought I'd just post a summary of thoughts following completion.
Idk if it's my GOAT but it's certainly has the best story I've played in a video game. It may dethrone BoTW as my GOTG. Haven't decided yet.
Ok I'm going to vent here for a minute I guess...why are there so many tlou2 threads!?! I swear I have blocked/ignored 20+ threads so far and so many recently are very borderline spoilery titled and it's annoying. Prob why I feel like I have to rush through the game atm.
Right, whether it's negative or positive games like this that encourage this much chatter about it dont come around often.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
This is wonderful, but uhh... there's an endgame spoiler right in there. They say
they were rooting for the women to be together, right up until the end.

I guess I consider it a spoiler because I assumed
Dina would get killed at some point in the first half.

Just something to think about for you and others who are quoting that tweet...

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017

It's Star Wars all over again. It's going to phase out with time. Most threads repeat the same thing you can read and talk about in OTs.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
so, question:

I'm on hard mode, and the difficulty seems fair, where I have to conserve ammo and really think about how to avoid enemies, but human encounters are just a shitshow, and now the dogs have appeared. Is there a 'right' way to approach these setpieces? I usually sneak around, maybe take one or two people out with stealth, but as soon as dogs get a scent it's just hell on earth as I run around getting shot (all the NPC's have perfect aim) and the fights end up feeling like I'm cheesing them. After the encounters, I'm just staring at a pile of dead bodies and I'm out of resources, wondering if I'm even doing this right. It doesn't feel fun, it just feels stressful.

Should I be approaching this differently? Are there 'right' ways to be clearing these encounters, or am I supposed to be a ridiculous angel of chaotic death?