Final predictions?

• 95-99 (Same as Uncharted 2, The Last of Us)

Votes: 639 46.6%
  • 90-94 (Same as Uncharted 4, Uncharted 3)

Votes: 599 43.7%
  • 85-89

Votes: 90 6.6%
  • 80-84

Votes: 14 1.0%
  • 75-79

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • <75

Votes: 24 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 24, 2019
Just looked at Metacritic and almost all of the middling reviews are from unscored sites. They're fairly reputable outlets, but I guess don't count towards the overall score.

Not saying they'd make much of a dent if they did count, but something more like RottenTomatoes could be a better system where these places can register their recommendation (or not) without having to put a number on it.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just looked at Metacritic and almost all of the middling reviews are from unscored sites. They're fairly reputable outlets, but I guess don't count towards the overall score.

Not saying they'd make much of a dent if they did count, but something more like RottenTomatoes could be a better system where these places can register their recommendation (or not) without having to put a number on it.
It's actually the same exact websites who gave the first entry lower than average reviews.

(Gamespot, Polygon and Kotaku).

Deleted member 69573

User requested account closure
Banned
May 17, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
I want to see ND try creating the inverse game to this. Why create a misery simulator when you can create a happy simulator?

All the reviews, however glowing, just reinforces to me to stay the hell away from it.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Reading the reviews and I guess I didn't realize

Hmm, I was under the impression you could complete the game without killing a dog. Anthony Newman (co-game director) reportedly said to Polygon last year:

Assuming the scene the reviewer mentions is unavoidable, sounds like that sentiment changed from the time of that interview and the game going gold. Granted this scene mentioned happens in a cutscene/QTE rather than 'true' gameplay, but to someone like me who always struggles dealing with 'attack dogs' in games (or any form of violence/cruelty towards dogs), it's tough for me personally to see a distinction.

I like the concept that avoiding killing/harming dogs makes the gameplay more challenging, but a forced scene of having to kill one will definitely be hard for me to get through. I'm not necessarily arguing that such a scene shouldn't be in the game if ND feels that moment is necessary for the story, but it's just my own personal challenge of dealing with those type of moments across life and different forms of media.
Someone earlier in g the thread said that it's possible to do other than that scene, which sounds more like a QTE

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
One more thing. I dont know if reviews touched that but everything from the E3 2018 demo is doable in game. Almost everything. That demo was staged, yeah, we know that. Actual scenes play a little bit differently in the game, but dodging attacks and even arrows or bullets is doable (incredible hard to time but satisfying as hell). Big grunts can really throw you over the counter and you can always take weapons from enemie's hands in final moves. Hovewer, you will have to beat them up a little before being able to do so. Well good luck with that if there are more enemies around. They will fuck you up. This aint assassins creed where 10 enemies just watch you killing everyone one by one.

So, the only thing I wasnt able to replicate was that smooth transitions in animations, where ellie hits the car and bounces off of it to dodge another attack. I dont think its possible to do and i think it was faked. But that was probably the only thing from every gameplay videos and stuff that might be fake. I may be wrong but I put 50 hours in that game and nothing like that ever came up. But dont worry, dodging in fist fights is glorious and Much/Shunhi will have a lot of work with these gifs.
Dang sounds amazing! Also hopefully you can answer this! In your opinion niel druckman said he was unsure of a last of us part 3. Could / would you like a part 3?

Magio

Apr 14, 2020

I think that's how OpenCritic does it and they have it at 99% of critics recommending it. Gotta remember that even if those middling reviews have it at a 7.5 that's probably still something they'd "recommend". I don't think you'll have a lot of people saying it's genuinely not worth playing.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont think its possible to do and i think it was faked.
It's likely that the "reactive dodging" animations were too glitchy in the end so they cut them (like, say, 4 out of 5 times you dodged towards a wall/car, Ellie would clip through the surface, or something).

It's possible they took tens of tries to capture that footage and get a run without any glitches. Interesting stuff, anyway.

vhm74

Oct 30, 2017
Congrats to the Naughty Dog people, great scores so far!
Sony's PS4 first party output it's just insane. Just hope that Tshushima closes it on a high note.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
hqdefaultq7kqn.jpg

John Wick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Yeah I was also reading IGN's review which had a blurb on the reviewer being a dog lover and recommending how to avoid dogs during combat encounters, but did not see a specific mention of being forced to kill a dog.
Am I the only one who finds it weird that people can't kill a dog in a game? Like I understand some people love dogs and animals but it's just a game.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Phew at the meta score. Next week can't come soon enough. I'm excited to dive into these video reviews

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Actually expected a bit higher (95). Seems like bloat and the gameplay not having improved much are the most called issues which I kinda expected. And ofc that the violence is relentless, although I'm probably find with that
You expected higher than 95... Cmon.

Can anyone who has played / reviewed the game tell me how scary it is? Would it be classed as horror? I generally do not play scary games and found the first one to be right on the edge of what I'll play without wussing out

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Is it though? Whether you love the game or not (I find it extremely dull and thin) you can't deny it takes a lot from elsewhere and other games do particular aspects better.
Hard disagree. It takes elements from those games and absolutely makes them it's own. Combat is deep and multi layered, easy to get the basics, but lots of depth available to access, the story and performances were excellent and 2nd to almost none. Exploration felt meaningful because of the wise choice to be hub based rather than an empty open world.

and I mean come on, the story in god of war ABSOLUTELY is miles ahead of Zelda while having compelling dungeon crawling. I don't see one point where Jeff was actually wrong. It is more accessible than souls while being compelling, it does contextualize it's violence better than uncharted, it does successfully take elements of Zelda dungeons while actually having a good narrative simultaneously.

I dont even feel like any of Jeff's statements are controversial point by point.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Basically the 3 less positive reviews it's mostly about the violence.

The fact this is reviewing even better than the original, holy shit!

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
You expected higher than 95... Cmon.

Can anyone who has played / reviewed the game tell me how scary it is? Would it be classed as horror? I generally do not play scary games and found the first one to be right on the edge of what I'll play without wussing out

There are a few jump scares but mostly it's that constant feeling of dread you get from watching Korean horror.

As far as spookiness goes, I'd say it's a little bit worse than the first game with more claustrophobic areas and low light.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I imagine it's because it's a game explicitly about violence, and its depiction, tone and purpose in the narrative is going to be subject to more scrutiny than your standard game with obligatory violence.

Take Death Stranding as an example: most other games involve exploring and navigating an environment, but it's more crucial to get that approach right in DS because that's the point of the game.

That's why I'm interesting in the context of what they enjoy and don't enjoy. For example would any of them enjoy The Road or Martyrs? What about Children of Men? Get Out? Doom (game)? God of War (2018)?

What about There Will Be Blood? No Country for Old Men? Schindler's List? BioShock Infinite?

What about Grave of the Fireflies? Joker? The Lighthouse? The Witch?

I ask in part because most reviews seem to say the violence and the darkness in the story is saying something. It isn't just, "yeah an apocalypse with monsters would probably be scare and there would be violence." Whereas with those either explicitly or implicitly it seems like they are saying the violence isn't justified. So having a perspective on how much violence they can tolerate, what type of violence they can tolerate (physical vs. emotional), how bleak or sad an experience can the appreciate, etc. would help better understand their dissenting opinion on the game.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
I do think the Polygon review raises some interesting points, but it's nonsense the whole agency thing.

Games with lots of agency might cast a burden on their own stories. A good story often goes to places you weren't expecting, so when you have a story purely engineered by yourself as a player, it might feel a bit dull.

I'm curious to see how the game story goes though, after all this critique on the violence. I'm one of the people that think this game didn't need a sequel, let's see if it has anything interesting to tell.

While i respect the writing and intent of the Maddy Myers' Polygon review it is one of the weirdest and unrealatable takes on a game I have read in awhile. Maybe I am just old, maybe the writer And I have lived vastly different lives, or maybe I just grew a bit tad too cynical but...

while the game was made with great skill and craft, we are actually much, much better than Naughty Dog thinks we are.

I just don't see the evidence to support such an observation.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I remember GoW 2018 preorders went through the roof after the reviews dropped.

Hope to see something similar here.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
The Gamespot review is getting a lot of flack, but it's very thoughtful and actually got me more excited for the game. The qualms the reviewer has about most of the player-controlled violence going unexamined is a fair one, but having to commit senseless mayhem to achieve objectives actually seems to resonate with the themes praised in the review. I wouldn't be surprised if I agree with that observation entirely but come to a more favorable conclusion after playing the game.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Sep 12, 2018
and I mean come one, the story in god of war ABSOLUTELY is miles ahead of Zelda while having compelling dungeon crawling
But that's not the point of Zelda lol, the beautiful simplicity in those games is part of the appeal. Also Uncharted is a swashbuckling fun adventure and Dark Souls isn't supposed to be approachable or clear. When you take the sheer ruthlessness and inability to find your footing in DS coupled with an annoyingly claustrophobic "cinematic camera" you get an experience that just doesn't work i n m y o p i n i o n.

To draw an actual story comparison though the parent/child aspects of God of War absolutely pales in comparison to the first Last of Us.