• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions?

• 95-99 (Same as Uncharted 2, The Last of Us)

Votes: 639 46.6%
  • 90-94 (Same as Uncharted 4, Uncharted 3)

Votes: 599 43.7%
  • 85-89

Votes: 90 6.6%
  • 80-84

Votes: 14 1.0%
  • 75-79

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • <75

Votes: 24 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
The John Wick comment is still dumb considering people were blowing loads over the Death Stranding walking simulator not long ago.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Social media is fantastic, now everyone can argue who is right and who is wrong.

Great ratings for TLOU 2 and i'm happy to hear that the story part is really strong.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Can we expect a LTTP thread a week after release to hear about your complains and how the press was wrong all along?
I'll make sure to use the following phrases:
  • Now that the honeymoon period is over
  • Overrated
  • Movie game
Really, though, I hope the OT for this game is shielded from a lot of this nonsense. It would be nice to just, you know, talk about, enjoy, and criticise aspects of this game without having to sift through the general garbage that permeates every TLOU thread.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
Indeed, and I think that was one of the most controversial moments in the first game, the killing of the doctor that Joel does no matter what, as it made a significant choice for you that wasn't simply "kill or be killed." I honestly think the game would have been better if they had either not taken control, or after that moment not given it back, as it can be a pretty severe break with what the player wants and what Joel wants. It's a tricky balance between saying it's a game and the player has agency, and it's a story and the designers are going to tell it and let you only do the parts without real choices.
Also just wanted to say I appreciate this conversation we're having, it's been very thoughtful and given me a bit to think about!

Very true. Most games obviously want you to identify with the protagonist. And some games go a step further and may call out the player for their actions in games but the idea of putting the player and the player-character in constant conflict is... well, I can't pretend it doesn't seem extremely interesting but also unbelievably difficult to pull off effectively.

Also same to you! I love discussing game themes and especially how mechanics can help build those themes. I really hope there's a lot to talk about in the post-release thread. Even if not everything lands.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Doesn't matter how much it's repeated: The Last of Us is not a story about zombies. I think being reductionist is understandable for a simple fan (or rather, the total opposite), but a professional journalist should stay above that level of public discourse. If someone thought the other tweets were hyperbolic, then answering with simplified points is not the best course of action either.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Enough bickering over an off-site Twitter argument (that apparently resolved itself anyway), everyone. Please get back on topic of the reviews.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Not at all. I really do believe they could change nothing about the gameplay and hardly anyone would care. Would you?

Yes? I loved the original's gameplay but would have been disappointed if they didn't expand on it

and Why do we need to even talk in hypotheticals? Gameplay HAS been expanded upon. We knew this from the very first gameplay we saw of the game. Reviews echo this too

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
This comes off as at least a bit hypocritical seeing Druckmann hasn't called out any of the people calling Schreier a "hysterical Jew," for disagreeing with Jeff and Druckmann's personal takes.
He's not responding to ANY of those ppl. Just engaging the two he knows. You cannot talk down a mob on Twitter and their crazy hot takes.

Saw the edit..let's kill this noise lol

SomeOneInaHat

Nov 9, 2017
So, I've been keeping darkish on the game for a while, but has any reviewer noted any sequences analogous to the repetitive ladder or pallet puzzles from the first game?

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Idk where this game will settle, but to think it's at a 96 with 84 reviews it's insane. With the odds stacked against the studio to top what a lot of ppl consider one of the best games ever, I found it highly unlikely that it would be as good or even surpass it. From the reviews it sounds like the game isn't without flaws, but it sounds like one of the critical and defining games of the generation. Some have even gone as far as to say it's story surpasses the original. Just recently while watching someone's play through of the first game, I thought to myself "it's going to be impossible for them to beat the presentation of this story" lol. I may have been wrong.

kevinking94

Oct 28, 2017
Ive decided to play the game on easy or normal first so that I can just enjoy the story, then my second playthrough will be on hard or whatever its called lol All the reviews have only increased my hype, cant wait to get my hands on this!

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Ive decided to play the game on easy or normal first so that I can just enjoy the story, then my second playthrough will be on hard or whatever its called lol All the reviews have only increased my hype, cant wait to get my hands on this!
Yep, same here. Normal it is. Though i might fiddle with all those different difficulty settings.

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
Official Staff Communication
Enough bickering over an off-site Twitter argument (that apparently resolved itself anyway), everyone. Please get back on topic of the reviews.

thank you.

going with this as well, like I did so with the first title

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Comparing a zombie video game to Schindler's List is idiotic. I do however find it unfortunate that Schindler's List is one of if not the only major pop culture touchstone that isn't necessarily enjoyable or entertaining to watch but is none the less engaging.

The Road would probably be a far better comparison, even if it's not nearly as well known.
Schreier flippantly dismissing TLOU II as "the new zombie videogame" was frankly rude and disrespectful, particularly from someone that's so knowledgeable and tied into the industry, someone who fully understands the sacrifices and blood and sweat that it takes to make a game like this.

It's like calling The Shawshank Redemption "the new prison escape movie" or The Godfather "the new shooting movie" or 2001: A Space Odyssey "the new sci-fi adventure movie". It's disingenuous and he knows it.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Anywayy... I'm just happy the game is getting all this love and also happy Sony didn't allow for spoilers to be posted about the game itself.
By the time I buy this I'll still be completely spoiler-free.
Reviewers reveal way too much about games stories and unnecessary spoilers are all over the place.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
what's the point of reviewing a game where the stories to major part but you can't really go in depth in the story. There is no point it's kind of dumb. It is a holdover from a bygone era where games were seen as products and not really works of art. Like is this really a review or just a bare-bones check whether you should buy or not.

You can give a review of the effectiveness of the story without going into major plot points. I think a separate place for discussion, like a spoilercast where you can deep dive into everything is preferred. Especially when a game has just came out and people most likely want to experience much of it for themselves.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017

There are a lot of customization settings in the game so you can tailor the game to your liking.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Like at some point playing TLOU2 you are going to stab a dog to death and a trophy notification is going to pop up. A game which simulates violence as a core, repeated mechanic can muse a bit on the impact of violence, but ultimately it does ring a little hollow. Making analogies to other media that deal with violence and suffering is tricky because a movie like Schindler's List is inherently anti-violence. All of the action it depicts is sorrowful and pathetic and sad.

Francois Truffaut said, "There's no such thing as an anti-war movie." What he meant is that a war movie can narratively be anti-war, but if it depicts violence and conflict in exciting ways the audience is going to be enamored with that violence. That's the same trap TLOU2 falls into. It can tell a story about how violence consumes these characters and ruins their lives, but the player is having a blast beating dogs to death and setting elaborate pipe bomb traps that kill enemy characters with names.

How can a work of art criticize violence while making it so fun?

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
So, I've been keeping darkish on the game for a while, but has any reviewer noted any sequences analogous to the repetitive ladder or pallet puzzles from the first game?
They haven't done much to improve on the environment puzzles in the game from what I've heard, but they have much reduced their volume apparently.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So is it recommended to start on hard?

Can you switch difficulty mid game?

I think Hard is a good bet for a first play through. And yes, there are no difficulty related trophies, and you can not only change difficulty on the fly, but also change individual difficulty settings to customise the difficulty to your ideal.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Like at some point playing TLOU2 you are going to stab a dog to death and a trophy notification is going to pop up. A game which simulates violence as a core, repeated mechanic can muse a bit on the impact of violence, but ultimately it does ring a little hollow. Making analogies to other media that deal with violence and suffering is tricky because a movie like Schindler's List is inherently anti-violence. All of the action it depicts is sorrowful and pathetic and sad.

Francois Truffaut said, "There's no such thing as an anti-war movie." What he meant is that a war movie can narratively be anti-war, but if it depicts violence and conflict in exciting ways the audience is going to be enamored with that violence. That's the same trap TLOU2 falls into. It can tell a story about how violence consumes these characters and ruins their lives, but the player is having a blast beating dogs to death and setting elaborate pipe bomb traps that kill enemy characters with names.

Have u played it? A lot of reviewers have openly said its not fun killing enemies, a lot of it is designed to be off putting and uncomfortable, I'm kinda confused by your claim here.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Doesn't matter how much it's repeated: The Last of Us is not a story about zombies. I think being reductionist is understandable for a simple fan (or rather, the total opposite), but a professional journalist should stay above that level of public discourse. If someone thought the other tweets were hyperbolic, then answering with simplified points is not the best course of action either.

Most zombie media isn't about the actual zombies lol it's the entire point of the genre... Doesn't make comparing it to a movie about the Holocaust less dumb. Or calling other games "john wick".

It's a dumb tweet all around.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Let me rephrase a bit because I also think they're above that. But cynicism can inform one's opinions and in Waypoint's case often leads to hyper-scrutiny. They also see uber high profile games like this as an opportunity, or obligation, to have larger more meaningful discussions and highlight issues that may transcend the game itself, and I respect the hell out of them for it. RDR2(and past ND games) became about labor in the game industry. Spidey was about things like privacy and law enforcement. Since the PGW trailer their TLOU2 discussions have focused on its depictions of violence.
Yeah. We can't say for sure, but I trust them over there. Especially Rob. Dude doesn't ever seem to give a single fuck if no one likes something he's into, or he dislikes something everyone else is gushing over. Your homework assignment is to play it and tell me if you agree or disagree with him overall I await your answer and thank you very much.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas

I think that this is a great post, fellow Fieri fan
I think part of the reason that the only game that has had that message resonate a bit with me thus far was Spec Ops because the game was pretty shit and unfun to begin with. It is hard to take that message seriously in other games, like in Assassin's Creed Odyssey's DLC quest where you find a tree covered with the corpses of men you killed and they wag their finger at what a naughty little misthios you've been after killing literally thousands of enemies as the primary way you engage with the game world
It can definitely ring hollow

kevinking94

Oct 28, 2017
Yep, same here. Normal it is. Though i might fiddle with all those different difficulty settings.

Hell yeah thats whats up! ✊🏻 I was thinking of making the enemy difficulty a little bit higher but keeping the resources the same, Im sure there will be tense moments nonetheless but I just want to be lost in the story and atmosphere for my first playthrough cus I know i'll enjoy it more that way.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017

Watching 1917 it was pretty harrowing even though the action was exciting and engaging. I definitely didn't watch that movie thinking "war is awesome! Sign me up!"

Uzuzu

Nov 18, 2017

I wonder if this is also part of the reason they spun off the multiplayer. It's almost hypocritical to make a a work of art to criticize violence, but then have a mode that celebrates and revels in it.

Juni

Apr 16, 2018
we aren't talking about the game here, we're talking about some hack's embarrassing tweet thread
Okay I get it. My bad for misinterpreting. I thought Cannata was comparing two movies in the way they formally approach violence, not the themes theirselves they deal with. Yet his reply is pretty lame in my opinion.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Schreier flippantly dismissing TLOU II as "the new zombie videogame" was frankly rude and disrespectful, particularly from someone that's so knowledgeable and tied into the industry, someone who fully understands the sacrifices and blood and sweat that it takes to make a game like this.

It's like calling The Shawshank Redemption "the new prison escape movie" or The Godfather "the new shooting movie" or 2001: A Space Odyssey "the new sci-fi adventure movie". It's disingenuous and he knows it.
Only because those films have their legacies established over time. It wouldn't be disingenuous to call The Godfather "the new crime movie" or "new gangster movie" when it came out

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I just wish Vice were more consistent in their critique. No mention of the great accessibility features, mostly female lead characters and a LBQT relationship in their review. These are things they have brought up so many times on their podcast, but all of a sudden when a "prestige" game is involved they don't even mention it in their review. It could be those aspects are wholy insuficcent, but at least bring them up and comment on them.
Including a gay relationship in their game (something ND already showed with Ellie like 7 years ago) is not the same as that inclusion being used positively. It's not to say it's not a good thing but... what is Rob expected to say? "Ellie is gay. And that is still nice." The bar for major media products like this cannot be that low. They've discussed a lot of games that feature queer-identities (not nearly enough, but still), that alone does not warrant a parade just because Last of Us is a big game.

And this is assuming what he can say in his review even represents that the game doesn't fall into negative pitfalls along the way. Maybe that love interest doesn't get fridged along the way, or maybe she doesn't end up as some kind of twist villain. Maybe the romance is allowed to be just that. But that discourse will come when more is allowed to actually be discussed when people start playing it.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Most zombie media isn't about the actual zombies lol it's the entire point of the genre... Doesn't make comparing it to a movie about the Holocaust less dumb. Or calling other games "john wick".

It's a dumb tweet all around.
I think we're saying mostly the same, so I don't know what's the point of discussion here. Yes, many apocalyptic stories use that context as a backdrop for social commentary. If you've had the chance to read previous pages in this thread, you'll see people saying exactly the opposite, or simplifying its intentions as another "zombie game" (in fact, Schreier did pretty much that, though we cannot discuss about this, so let's move on). That's why I've written that sentence, not to reaffirm any "special" status about The Last of Us (though I believe its execution is certainly better than most) but to remind them that there's barely such thing as a story focused on zombies, to begin with.

The tweets cannot be discussed anymore. I'll only say that anybody can have its own opinion about it.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Very true. Most games obviously want you to identify with the protagonist. And some games go a step further and may call out the player for their actions in games but the idea of putting the player and the player-character in constant conflict is... well, I can't pretend it doesn't seem extremely interesting but also unbelievably difficult to pull off effectively.

Also same to you! I love discussing game themes and especially how mechanics can help build those themes. I really hope there's a lot to talk about in the post-release thread. Even if not everything lands.

The fundamental issue I think with trying to connect player to player-character in a negative way is that people simply don't have negative intentions when they decide to play through a game. People might want to see the story unfold, they might be hunting a Platinum, or they might simply want to get their money's worth out of the game they've just spend $60 on. Even in cases where the evil shit is optional you're not doing it because you're evil, you're doing it because you want to "see the evil ending," or "role play as an evil dude," or "want to experience the dynamic cat-and-mouse chase that happens when you commit mass-murder in GTA."

I think the best games can really achieve is making some things out to be 'bad ideas' mechanically and hoping that the player sees them as bad morally. Stealth games have done this a whole bunch and games like Pathalogic take it to a rather extreme extent, but even then I doubt many people feel 'judged' for, say, going on a full-murder run in Dishonored.

Personally I think that stories which aim to challenge the player's preconceptions instead of trying to judge the player themselves will always work so much better. Take Spec Ops: The Line for instance, that game was so much more impactful when it was directly critiquing American imperialism through its gameplay instead of trying to make some grand statement about shooters.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only because those films have their legacies established over time. It wouldn't be disingenuous to call The Godfather "the new crime movie" or "new gangster movie" when it came out
He purposefully contextualized it that way vs Schindler's List to make a point though. He purposefully tried to diminish the potential impact of the game by describing it that way. It was rude.

Last post on the subject, sorry.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I think we're saying mostly the same, so I don't know what's the point of discussion here. Yes, many apocalyptic stories use that context as a backdrop for social commentary. If you've had the chance to read previous pages in this thread, you'll see people saying exactly the opposite, or simplifying its intentions as another "zombie game" (in fact, Schreier did pretty much that, though we cannot discuss about this, so let's move on). That's why I've written that sentence, not to reaffirm any "special" status about The Last of Us (though I believe its execution is certainly better than most) but to remind them that there's barely such thing as a story focused on zombies, to begin with.

The tweets cannot be discussed anymore. I'll only say that anybody can have its own opinion about it.

If we cannot discuss it then we won't.

But I think I misunderstood your post then.