• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Neat idea, but kind of a poor initial execution. Hopefully further iterations explore stuff like what's being done in the Randomizer hacks.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I beat this game last week within in a matter of hours and I suck.

Just have the rupee caves pre-opened. That's enough hand holding.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
I hope the SP version of Metroid adds a map. But guessing it will probably just be simpler stuff like unlimited missiles or some upgrades unlocked from the start.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Yes, it is, and nah, it doesn't.
OK thanks. Been a while since I've checked the listings. I hope they aren't ever going to count "SP" games toward the monthly allotment, or we will be stuck on NES forever lol.

It's not one of the three. I mean, it says it right in the OP.
The phrasing in the OP is ambiguous imo:
With the 3 new games today came this interesting thing

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
It's live now, by the way.

I speculate that most SP's will be hacks to make games easier/less frustrating for modern audiences. Not a bad idea at all. I know with Gradius and Double Dragon I'm suffering (though I'm not trying to cheese thru with save state exploits).

Mild annoyance (looking at OP's picture): The title. 'Living the life of luxury!' should really have capitalization. This version of the game should also be called The Legend of Zelda SP.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Great idea, but I don't like the way it's actually implemented here... When you start this "game", there's no title screen or file select; it literally just loads a savestate of someone that collected all the items and money they could in the game without going into any of the levels. The game even starts with the music in mid-loop, lol.

I wish the put in the effort to make a proper ROM hack for this, as it would have been a much better experience. At this point, I highly doubt the 2nd Quest starts you off with the same items...

I'm sure some of the other games will have a better treatment, though. I mean, what savestate could you load for Dr. Mario to make it a "SP" version?

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
Great idea, but I don't like the way it's actually implemented here... When you start this "game", there's no title screen or file select; it literally just loads a savestate of someone that collected all the items and money they could in the game without going into any of the levels. The game even starts with the music in mid-loop, lol.

Holy crap, you're right. I thought it was odd when I accidentally booted and was already in game.

OP
OP
Serebii

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
OK thanks. Been a while since I've checked the listings. I hope they aren't ever going to count "SP" games toward the monthly allotment, or we will be stuck on NES forever lol.

The phrasing in the OP is ambiguous imo:
Na, I said with the 3 games, not As one of the three games :)

Galava

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder how this fits in the timeline.

Destitute Link and wealthy Link.
aa4.png

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Eh, a bit lame that's it's an easy mode. Takes a lot of the fun out of the game.

Game's like Metroid could use an upgrade though because they had technical limitations; Your health doesn't refill after restarting for technical reasons and that's a blatant design flaw.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
From the impression above, this seems more like a "let your big brother give you a headstart" kind of deal.
Maybe the next "SP" games will be a bit more interesting.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
It's certainly not for me, but it's probably a good way to let young, faintly interested players try out the game and not give up after 5 minutes.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

Wow, how f'n cheap. Every rom hack has more work put into it than this shit.

Oct 29, 2017
That's interesting! So the SP versions are ROM hack editions of the games?

There's potential here! Hopefully the future releases will be more interesting. NES Remix had some interesting concepts that I'd love to see them explore further; so hopefully we'll see some wacky stuff in the future!

Edit: Oh it's just a pre-made save state? Oh well that's a lot less interesting...

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Dr. Mario (SP)
Metroid (SP)
Super Mario Bros. (SP)
Super Mario Bros. 3 (SP)
Double Dragon (SP)
Gradius (SP)

SP Metroid start with all upgrades and full e tanks

SP SMB1 start with 99 lives and maybe replace all mushrooms with fire flowers?

SP SMB3 start with 99 lives, full inventory of good items including 3 warp whistles

SP Double Dragon start with max lives and have unlimited continues

SP Gradius always have max power and start with max lives

SP Dr Mario is ??? Add a rewind function? Make the game only 1-2 colors of virus instead of 3? No idea how you make this work

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, a bit lame that's it's an easy mode. Takes a lot of the fun out of the game.

Game's like Metroid could use an upgrade though because they had technical limitations; Your health doesn't refill after restarting for technical reasons and that's a blatant design flaw.

Not really a design flaw. It was never an issue for me because there's lots of "enemy generators" that let you keep blasting them for energy refills until your full again.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope that some future SP games end up being challenge runs and they're not all just easy modes.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
Not a fan of this having its own tile, why couldn't this exist within the Zelda one. Cool idea to add things like this though, it'll just end up looking stupid when you have multiple versions of the same game on separate tiles

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
This is a good idea. Lots of the old games could use this sort of thing. I don't know if i would have given THAT much of a buff though.

Oct 28, 2017
What would have been more interesting is an extra layer accessed through the emulator that would hold, say, a real world map that shows in detail screens you've visited or decrypts the old men's hints when you hear them. I assume that not knowing where to go is a much bigger obstacle than damage (received/given) for newcomers. I also don't see how having lots of many can make level 9 easier for you?

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
What's interesting is that they retained the "SP" branding, yet gave it the specific subtitle "Living the Life of Luxury!". It leaves the option open for different subtitles, and therefore different approaches for each game. Does anyone have the schedule of when each game was getting an SP version?

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
What's interesting is that they retained the "SP" branding, yet gave it the specific subtitle "Living the Life of Luxury!". It leaves the option open for different subtitles, and therefore different approaches for each game. Does anyone have the schedule of when each game was getting an SP version?
This was the original schedule that quickly disappeared from the UK site

October:

• Double Dragon (SP)
  • Gradius (SP)
  • NES Open Tournament Golf
  • Solomon's Key
  • SUPER DODGE BALL
  • Super Mario Bros. 3 (SP)

November:

• Dr. Mario (SP)
  • Metroid (SP)
  • Mighty Bomb Jack
  • Super Mario Bros. (SP)
  • TwinBee

December:

• Adventures of Lolo
  • The Legend of Zelda (SP)
  • NINJA GAIDEN
  • Wario's Woods

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I just poked around and this is more basic than I expected. It looks like it literally just loads a save state when your start up the game; there's no file select and the music doesn't even start from the beginning. Dying and going to the title screen without saving reveals a file named "Link" with no items. Seems they just maxed on everything you can get without doing a dungeon and save-stated lol.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Yeah it being a save state is a bit disappointing, limits the scope for what these SP editions can be if that's all they are.

Still neat, I'm all for making these games more accessible one way or another

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
Not what I expected but pretty interesting all the same. I was hoping for some hacked in co-op instead but it should be interesting to see what other variations on games they will make from here on out.

Let's get a crazy version of Mario 2 where all four characters can co-op on one screen at the same time.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it being a save state is a bit disappointing, limits the scope for what these SP editions can be if that's all they are.

Still neat, I'm all for making these games more accessible one way or another
On the contrary, I'm not even sure what SMB can be, unless they're just very boring and give you tons of lives (which I'd be a little surprised at, since the game can't even display double digits properly). I wouldn't be shocked if SMB 3 just has the 28 P-Wings though.

If Metroid is just a save state of something you could get from a password input I'm gonna laugh.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Underwhelming. NES Remix style hacks would have been great.

I hope the future SP editions aren't just Easy Modes.