• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Favorite RE ENGINE redesign:

• Leon Kennedy

Votes: 399 23.1%
  • Ada Wong

Votes: 649 37.5%
  • Jill Valentine

Votes: 289 16.7%
  • Claire Redfield

Votes: 345 20.0%
  • Chris Redfield

Votes: 46 2.7%

• Total voters

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chris look = 2017 or whatever year RE7 is set
Leon = 1998
Claire = 1998
Ada = 1998
Jill = 1998

Come on people.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chris's design has never been consistent.
REmake chris looks nothing like RE5/6 chris, who looks nothing like RE7 chris.

Well, I guess Chris has a long history of getting bjorked. Who could forget this gem:

Resident-Evil-1-box-art.jpg
wait.... is that meant to be chris? I always throught it was a random zombie with a gun.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Ada looks hot as hell though the high heels are a bit silly. Leon is probably the best in terms of updating the design without changing it too much.

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
Surprised at the results. New Claire is great while I hate every iteration of Ada in high heels.

Big props to giving all the girls actual pants.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Claire > Jill > Leon > Ada > Chris

Chris is just silly. Looks like a different generic white actor each apparition.

Ada is kinda the opposite, didn't changed much. It's a silly design but atleast consistent?

Jill and Leon are in their best form. Both are really great.

Claire is just pure love, always in the top :p

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Well, I guess Chris has a long history of getting bjorked. Who could forget this gem:

Resident-Evil-1-box-art.jpg
That's not Chris, it's actually Richard. The art used for RE1 was originally created for a comic in which he is the main character:

There is no "nope", though. His RE5 face is factually based on his REmake model. It's not exactly the same because no video game character has the exact same face between two games unless they're reusing models. They've clearly tweaked it, and he's older and buffer, but his REmake face was the starting point nonetheless.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Ada and Leon are the only two I like.

Claire is meh

Jill is really disappointing

Chris is so god damn bad

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
My fav is Ada. I like Leon the least because I LOVE his RE4 design and this new one isnt like that...

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
I haven't played RE2 yet, but Ada looks a bit too young in pictures.

I'd say Leon > Claire > Ada > Jill >>>> Chris

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
That's not Chris, it's actually Richard. The art used for RE1 was originally created for a comic in which he is the main character:

There is no "nope", though. His RE5 face is factually based on his REmake model. It's not exactly the same because no video game character has the exact same face between two games unless they're reusing models. They've clearly tweaked it, and he's older and buffer, but his REmake face was the starting point nonetheless.

Never knew that, thanks for pointing out. I don't think the comic ever made it over to Europe or at least I had never heard of it. And we (my older brother and I) were always puzzled with how different the cover 'Chris' looked from in-game Chris (not to mention those goofy live action actors). How random to put Richard on the front, hadn't recognized him either =)

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Claire for me.

Leon and Ada look good, but they're mostly the same. That's not a bad thing, it basically means they nailed the look in one, but in terms of re-design Claire looks the best to me.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Never knew that, thanks for pointing out. I don't think the comic ever made it over to Europe or at least I had never heard of it. And we (my older brother and I) were always puzzled with how different the cover 'Chris' looked from in-game Chris (not to mention those goofy live action actors). How random to put Richard on the front, hadn't recognized him either =)
Yeah, I believe I only learned this fact myself earlier this year! Weird choice for the cover art.

"There are terrible demons... OUCH"

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
His RE5 face is factually based on his REmake model. It's not exactly the same because no video game character has the exact same face between two games unless they're reusing models. They've clearly tweaked it, and he's older and buffer, but his REmake face was the starting point nonetheless.

Chris does not "technically ha(ve) the same face from REmake(2002) through RE6 (2012)". They may have used the Remake model as a base for the redesign in 5, but it's still a redesign. RE5 Chris is not simply REmake Chris but older (and buffer).

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Claire and Jill > Leon and Ada >>>Redfield.

Seriously, how did they mess us Chris so bad.

Claire and Jill both look hot but capable, Leon is a baby face heart throb, Ada is seductive yet secretive, Redfield is ugh...
Pretty much agree.

Love Jill, Claire, Leon and Ada's new designs.

Chris looks terrible but then I don't like very much about Resident Evil VII.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Chris does not "technically ha(ve) the same face from REmake(2002) through RE6 (2012)". They may have used the Remake model as a base for the redesign in 5, but it's still a redsign. RE5 Chris is not simply REmake Chris but older (and buffer).
You're being a bit pedantic here. I'm sure you can see the similarities yourself when taking a look at the images you posted. The core point that people like myself are trying to make is that Capcom has indeed tried being consistent with designs in the past. It varies from character to character, as some are a total departure (RE4 Ada to RE6 Ada, for instance), but Chris is relatively consistent up until 7.

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017
Clair and Leon look the best. Jill and Ada are good too, but Chris could have better design.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland

Yes. It's modified (better technology, the character is 10 years older and buffier, slightly different art style) but the base is the same. Same with RE5 Jill - it's not exactly the same as REmake model, but it's clearly based on her.

The problem with RE7 Chris isn't that he looks different (that was given since the technology is completely different), but that he looks *completely* different, with no similarity to the character he was for the last 14 years (other than white man in his 40s). There's a reason people were all "wait, what? Who are you?" when he appeared at the end of RE7 and even introduced himself.

REmake 3 Jill also doesn't look exactly like how the character looked in the past, but Capcom gave her at least the same haircut (and hair colour - RE7 Chris has dark blonde hair, whereas previous Chris had dark brown hair) and color scheme (blue, white and black). So even without the context you can guess that the character reminds you of Jill. That was not the case with RE7 Chris.

Last edited:

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
The current redesigns are just scanned actors with characters names slapped on. If it was a blind test I wouldn't recognise any of them as RE characters. That's the problem with photo realism instead of stylisation - you lose the part of the character that your brain invented when the 3D models and textures were more cartoony. There are cosplayers out there that look more like the RE characters I remember.

For me the 2nd Gen was good enough and I still can identify them. I understand the usefulness of scanning and motion capture, but I think we lose on the artistry part.

Rafako

Dec 19, 2017
The order you put the characters in the OP is very accurate:
Leon>Ada>Jill>Claire>>>>Chris
I was between Leon and Ada, but I ended voting for Ada because she´s just perfect.

Neuroxia

Mar 31, 2019
Ada is my favorite redesign as it keeps true to the original vision. Leon and Claire also look great.
Not a big fan of Jill's new design and Chris looks outright terrible.

Oct 29, 2017
Chris is straight up unrecognizable , the rest are pretty good, best may be Ada and Leon. Jill looks a bit younger that I would have expected her.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Ada's update looks great IMO. They are all good, but Chris is still the most jarring because its really the most different looking. The others are fairly convincing or believable rethinkings, but Chris, just turned into some 40 year old dude after being full blown muscle beefcake before.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Leon -> Ada -> Jill -> Claire -> Chris

To be fair to Chris, the general tone and art design of RE7 are clearly less of throwback than that of the RE 2 and 3 remakes. Also, he was only a cameo/DLC in that.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Ooh, neat image collecting all the different versions! Tough question considering how good they all look. It's between Ada and Jill for me, but... Gonna have to go with Ada. She wins just by a smidge. Chris is definitely last, unfortunately, haha.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I want to say that Chris looked a lot better in his RE7 dlc, but MAN that first time you see him you're like "That's not him, is this game fucking with me?"

Maybe it's the lighting lol

chris-redfield.jpg

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Leon and Ada are the best,but Ada Wong more than ever is a godness now.
Chris suck in all gens,so nothing has changed.
Jill is great,but not as good as Leon and Ada.
Claire is mehh,not bad but not great.

Last edited: