• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What did you think of Chapter 8: Redemption?

• Great

Votes: 708 73.8%
  • Good

Votes: 179 18.7%
  • Average

Votes: 60 6.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 12 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
MatureInformalAlbertosaurus-size_restricted.gif

Deleted member 32679

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
This is the first episode where I considered picking up my phone. The 2 actors besides the target are terrible actors and this whole episode felt like a fan film.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I'd have been perfectly happy chilling on Tatooine for a mini-arc, but it's impressive that we've already been to five or six planets in as many episodes, most of which are brand-new to the canon. While it's not ambitious in its narrative, they're not cheaping out on delivering the scale and breadth of the SW galaxy. Even if the show never leaves the Outer Rim, it has an enormous canvas to play with.

Just imagine the budget of this show in its 3rd or 4th season, bolstered by Baby Yoda merch madness and a huge international D+ subscriber base.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I am getting less and less enthusiastic about this show, the start was good but I believe for the most part I was blinded by the production values and the OT look they nailed starting out. But it's simply not well written or very interesting.
If this was cg like clone wars and rebels I don't think I'd continue watching it.
I hope it picks up again in the last few episodes.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That was a fun episode. I like that not everything is high stakes and we get to have these little slice of life episodes of what it's like living in the Star Wars galaxy.

Also yeah season 1 is totally gonna end with Fett tracking down Mando to bring him in.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
That's not much though. If fans get pissed off because something as generically western-sounding as spurs were used in a western inspired series, just because they were once briefly used in one scene to illustrate the arrival of Boba Fett, a character whose concept was inspired by spaghetti westerns, then that's on them.
Dude, it might not be Boba Fett but it's clearly supposed to make you think it is. Mysterious bounty hunter with spurs on Tatooine? Like, they couldn't have made it more obvious that the intent as a viewer is to think it could be Boba Fett.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Dude, it might not be Boba Fett but it's clearly supposed to make you think it is. Mysterious bounty hunter with spurs on Tatooine? Like, they couldn't have made it more obvious that the intent as a viewer is to think it could be Boba Fett.
Tbh. Tatooine does not even make narrative sense for the story if that isn't Bobba Fett. Why not just use a other random desert planet like the first chapters.

Deleted member 3758

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The sound effect from his inclusion in ANH + the spurs make a pretty convincing argument it could be Boba Fett or a complete misdirect. The Stormtrooper helmets in Mos Eisley certainly make you believe there's no Imperial presence there anymore. It wouldn't make sense for Herzog or Esposito's characters to be there.

I kind of hope it's a setup for Fett as a nemesis anti-Mando.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh. Tatooine does not even make narrative sense for the story if that isn't Bobba Fett. Why not just use a other random desert planet like the first chapters.
Filoni and Favreau might as well walked up to the screen at the end of the episode and been, like, "WE WANT YOU TO BELIEVE THIS COULD BE BOBA FETT! WILL IT? DON'T UNSUB FROM DISNEY+!".

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Before coming in the thread I had no idea that people were thinking the stinger could be Boba.

My first thought was Giancarlo but I immediately asked myself why and had no answer, so I gave up.

Last edited:

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
It's probably related to the Imperials.

The episode was fun, but I thought Mando was too careless lol After being rewarded by trusting into people in the previous episode, this time an asshole tried to took advantage of him lol

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Probably my least favorite episode, mainly cuz of the wannabe bounty hunter. This episode kinda bummed me out as well when I found out there's only a few episodes left and it was wasted on some random jabroni trying to get into a club. I understood what they were going for in the character, I think maybe it was the actor's delivery that just didn't work for me. Amy Sedaris was really good. I wouldn't have recognized her if it wasn't for that voice of hers. I really hope Ming Na isn't dead. She barely did anything for character with tons of history of kicking ass from the sound of it.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Thought it was on par with last week's episode, good but not great. I don't think this show needs a big season arc to work but a 3-parter like the first eps could make it more engaging. Hopefully next week will be the start of another one.

Off topic but The Mandalorian and Fallen Jedi has got me interested in more Star Wars so I was thinking of grapic novels. If I watched all the movies but never read any of the comics, which would you guys recommend? I would like a thick book like an omnibus with modern art and some of the best star wars stories. Is there someting like that?
There are some really good series in the current canon that are worth your time.
- Lando miniseries (Charles Soule)
- Kieron Gillen's Darth Vader (takes place post ANH)
- Charles Soule's Vader (starts right after RotS, interesting time period as Vader was unknown and not feared yet)

Both Vader series have a different vibe but are very strong. The last issue of Soule's Vader is essential reading for any SW fan.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are some really good series in the current canon that are worth your time.
- Lando miniseries (Charles Soule)
- Kieron Gillen's Darth Vader (takes place post ANH)
- Charles Soule's Vader (starts right after RotS, interesting time period as Vader was unknown and not feared yet)

You're forgetting somebody

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
last two episodes have done nothing for me honestly. These last couple of side characters have been terrible, and it's just been a whole lot of nothing fit into 35 mins. I don't mind side plot episodes, but at least make the stories fun and interesting to watch. Such a dry ass show for me, but I have hope since the first couple of episodes were interesting.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
That was a nice return to form after last weekend's I thought.

It was so surreal seeing Amy Sedaris holding Baby Yoda though, if you told me that was a thing that happens before I started Episode 1 I would have laughed in your face.

I hope/think the overall arc with the guild is gonna come to a head in episode 7 and 8 though, still waiting on Giancarlo to make an appearance, hope he isn't a one and done character.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
last two episodes have done nothing for me honestly. These last couple of side characters have been terrible, and it's just been a whole lot of nothing fit into 35 mins. I don't mind side plot episodes, but at least make the stories fun and interesting to watch. Such a dry ass show for me, but I have hope since the first couple of episodes were interesting.
About where I am too.

I wish the last two eps were more like ep 2--with a focus on Mando as a character, rather than spinning a really thin A plot that doesn't really go anywhere for anyone.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Christ that was awful.

They must of thrown that episode out to die. Theres no way proffesionals with a massive budget and the Star Wars name can think that is up to any kind of quality. The writing is at best uninteresting and at worse bad. The acting is StarGate SG1 level from the supporting cast. The plot was just nothingness.

Oct 25, 2017
Show is amazing.

Fennec Shand is about to get a whole damn backstory from the fandom alone. Wait until they explore her more in comics and ancillary media. The beauty of Star Wars.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
A few parts of this episode seemed a bit cheap. The stock baby laughing I've literally heard in dozens of movies before, and the speeder CGI looked surprisingly bad at times. Otherwise another great ep.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
A few parts of this episode seemed a bit cheap. The stock baby laughing I've literally heard in dozens of movies before, and the speeder CGI looked surprisingly bad at times. Otherwise another great ep.
The stock baby laughing was awful. Baby Yoda wasn't even doing anything that would elicit that sort of noise sometimes. It stuck out like a sore thumb.

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
The shady auto mechanic trope was kinda dumb but when I realized who was playing her I loved it. Also the acting by the young bounty hunter wasn't great. I feel like the Kid from Unforgivable would've been a good character study in cock sure but skilless newbie for them to go off of. Still, all around not a bad one. I liked the interaction with the sand people and you can't go wrong with a good mystery ending. Looking forward to next week.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
Loved all episodes so far (including 4) until this one. It felt cheap, mediocre and empty. Still enjoyed it because of the Star Wars coat of paint, but jeez..., if this was another TV show I would've rated it with 2 stars out of 5.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah the speeder CGI started pretty cool and then got weird when they changed the camera angle imo

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
Fam, this episode was written and directed by Dave Filoni. He's the guy who knows all this stuff. He isn't gonna stick 2 of Boba's iconic sound effects on the same character tease unless it's Boba or he wants to troll us and make us think it's Boba.

Decepticonprime

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Another great episode, I love that they have smaller moments which all feed into the whole but also kind of give that "another day in the life" vibe without having to go all out . Also the music continues to give me Yojimbo vibes and it makes it even better.

Force baby sounds....its the only explanation

It was the kid raging about being left alone in a locker. "What the fuck Mando?!" *krayt dragon sound*

You're forgetting somebody
I support this.
Doctor Aphra is a must.

The Omega Man

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
If that guy at the end would have been Boba Fett they would have show it and end it there so Star Wars nerds go crazy and ramp up hype for the next episode. Not showing who this person is make people speculate that is Boba Fett only to be shown next week that it is not.
That's how TV shows work.

Lionheart360

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah other than the opening dogfight, this episode looked kinda....cheap? This is the first time the show really looked like a TV show to me rather than something of movie quality. The acting has also been lackluster to say the least... I guess that's an area where they decided to save some money.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fam, this episode was written and directed by Dave Filoni. He's the guy who knows all this stuff. He isn't gonna stick 2 of Boba's iconic sound effects on the same character tease unless it's Boba or he wants to troll us and make us think it's Boba.
What 2 sound effects? I just watched it and only noticed the spurs.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
It worries me that people want Jon Favreau to helm the Star Wars franchise after Kathleen Kennedy when she leaves when his writing is mediocre at best

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
Something about the guy sounding incredibly American seemed distracting. So far, the larger open sets aren't working for me. I prefer the scenes that take place indoors or in alley ways and such. I know that probably sounds weird.

Also, that stock baby cry was REALLY bad and unnecessary.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was way more interested in Ming-Na's character potentially not being a one and done than someone using Boba's armor.

The series is a Western. The story and plots are nothing spectacular. It's the execution of the Star Wars IP, which it's nailing, that makes it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.