• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

T0M

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 13, 2019
Can't post a thread yet so I'll put it in here.

Anyone ever had their teeth cleaned by a dental student before? I'm going back to school to finish my undergrad, which means I'm going to be out of dental insurance for about the next 9-10 months or so. Sucks, but that's America. My normal dental provider charges $110 to do a routine teeth cleaning, the University I can get it done at will run about $25. My teeth are in pretty perfect shape, I haven't had any issues since I got my wisdom teeth removed several years ago, smooth sailing since then.

I heard it'll likely take longer plus I have to make other concessions, but it's still worth considering to save a few bucks. Any experiences?

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I thought I did check all the settings in the Power menu. I saw Turn off Display and Sleep options for both when battery is being used and when computer is plugged in. But nothing that dictated how the display is turned off differently between a lock screen and a computer still logged in
There should be an advanced section in the power options... I can't remember how they named it exactly but maybe something like "Advanced power plan settings" or something similar. It's basically a list with expandable options a tree with + icons you can click to expand the sub sections) that covers pretty much all the different scenarios.

That thing might be a bit difficult to find in Windows 10 since they now have basically two completely separate settings sections... You have the newer App Settings that have limited options and the old Control Panel that still has everything. I suggest you look for the old Control Panel and checkout the Power options in there.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I heard it'll likely take longer plus I have to make other concessions, but it's still worth considering to save a few bucks. Any experiences?
Not dental specifically, but other student services, yes.
If you have no specialty concerns I believe it's totally worth the savings. Granted you could get someone who is unmotivated or simply bad at the job, but that's even more possible just picking providers out of the yellow pages, and already-licensed providers don't have the supervision that students do.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
There should be an advanced section in the power options... I can't remember how they named it exactly but maybe something like "Advanced power plan settings" or something similar. It's basically a list with expandable options a tree with + icons you can click to expand the sub sections) that covers pretty much all the different scenarios.

That thing might be a bit difficult to find in Windows 10 since they now have basically two completely separate settings sections... You have the newer App Settings that have limited options and the old Control Panel that still has everything. I suggest you look for the old Control Panel and checkout the Power options in there.
Thanks. I'll take a look at this when I am back home

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
My friend's been saving up the tips he's been getting at work for the whole summer, and he wants to deposit them to the bank because he said paying by card is more convenient than with cash. Would depositing $1000 in cash to the bank be suspicious?

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
My friend's been saving up the tips he's been getting at work for the whole summer, and he wants to deposit them to the bank because he said paying by card is more convenient than with cash. Would depositing $1000 in cash to the bank be suspicious?
No worries. For the bank it's pocket change. Small business owners deposit several thousands at the time.
It's really not unusual really.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
I got a huge pimple on my ass and it hurts when I sit. How do I get rid of this literal pain in the ass?

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Words are not a boolean variable.
vY1Dhvv.gif

NateDog

"This guy are sick"
Jan 8, 2018
I got a huge pimple on my ass and it hurts when I sit. How do I get rid of this literal pain in the ass?
If it's in the inner cheek or further in any decent sore cream that can work for nappy rash should work (had something similar the other week, Sudocrem cleared it right up).

hombremalo

Oct 26, 2017

Doing regular cash deposits maybe, only one for that amount, no problem.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone go to 24 Hour Fitness?

I'll be going living in Japan for a year starting next month, so I asked my them if I could cancel it since I don't think they're located anywhere in there to move my membership and I don't want to pay for something I won't be using for a year, of course.

One employee last week said he could freeze my account until I come back to the US, and I wouldn't have to pay anything the whole time the account's frozen, but I would have to show them a physical copy of my itinerary.

I got lazy and only came back to the gym again today and asked another person if I could cancel it. However, she said if I do freeze, I would have to pay a monthly fee, like $12 or so, and it would only be for about 6 months max.

So which one was true and which one was lying?

PS: the lady said I had an annual membership, so if I cancel, I would have to pay off the rest of the year. However, I looked at the website to see my contract, and it said i'm doing "One Club (monthly payment)".

Last edited:

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Already answered but in case other people are wondering more, you can deposit under 10k and not have to do any sort of declaration about where it came from.

Also if you often deposit large chunks of money but always under 10k it can cause suspicion. Depositing 1000 bucks every summer, or even every month, isn't suspicious at all.

I generally deposit around 9k cash a 1-2 times per year, and haven't had any issues yet. Usually everytime I go back home to the USA I take a hunk of money from my foreign account. I don't take over 10k because more than that on a plane you gotta do a tax form, and same issue at the banks. I always declare my money on the customs form and I've never even had anyone stop and count it. I'm a clean cut white male which probably helps.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there a site that keeps track of where you can see certain content? For example, I'd like to catch up on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, but I have no idea where I can watch it (from the Netherlands). I have access to Netflix, HBO, and Prime Videos, but it's on none of them.

Oct 28, 2017
I have a Google home mini, and the microphone is too sensitive. By that I mean it activates when I'm watching TV nearby, even when no one in the room or on the TV has said "Hey Google" or "OK Google". This happens almost once a night. I did a Google search, but only found people saying theirs was not sensitive enough. Usually when this happens, the lights on the unit fade and nothing happens, but one time for no reason it started playing Lady Gaga on my Chromecast at a really high volume in the middle of the night. I'll try resetting the unit, but if anyone here has any advice for this issue in the meantime, I'd appreciate it.

CallmeDave

Oct 27, 2017
Finished up Neon Genesis Evangelion on Netflix. Overall I liked it despite the nonsensical random stream of thought of an ending it had. I noticed there are a few movies, worth watching?

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Finished up Neon Genesis Evangelion on Netflix. Overall I liked it despite the nonsensical random stream of thought of an ending it had. I noticed there are a few movies, worth watching?

You should definitely watch End of Evangelion, maybe read up on the reception to the finale of the show to get a better context of how and why the movie was made. IIRC, the other movie on Netflix is a condensed version of the show that was shown before EoE, not sure if it has anything new if you've watched the show + EoE.

There are also a few movies called the Rebuild series which are sorta reboots/sequels to the show.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to mess around in Minecraft after not playing the game in, like, 7 years. My log in didn't work so I attempted to reset my password, I didn't get any of the emails. After searching "mojang" in gmail, I see that over year ago I got an email telling me that my account had switched to their new service.

eMo2mxb.png

Anyway, I assume that my shit got hacked. I sent an email asking them for help and came across this.

My question is this: is that shit accurate? Are they two fucking months behind on emails?

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you intend to eat an entire package of cookies, does it make a difference whether you obey the serving size (and therefore eat them over the course of a week, etc) or not (eat them in one sitting)? The net weight is the same.

Aside from stomach aches, etc.

Just a shower thought I've always had.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever I'm on twitter on Firefox, if I click on a tweet it will open the tweet a different way than it used to. So when I click outside of the tweet now, I get taken back to the top of the page of whatever user I was looking at. However, on private Firefox and on Chrome it behaves properly where I can click outside of a tweet and I'm still scrolled down as far as I was when I initially clicked the tweet.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Does anyone know why this might happen or how I can fix it?

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is there a thread where I could, for example, provide a media fire link to a track I made for Era's opinion on it?

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
Within my apartment, in the main living area there's a closet with a loud ac unit. It really deters from my movie watching experience. Is it possible to barricade that sound somehow?

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Within my apartment, in the main living area there's a closet with a loud ac unit. It really deters from my movie watching experience. Is it possible to barricade that sound somehow?
I'd recommend getting an expert to look at the space and see if it would interfere with designed airflow before trying an amateur fix.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Era, I'm travelling to the US next month for a training workshop and I have a couple of questions regarding transportation.

I'd like to use Uber to get around since that seems cheaper than regular taxis, but I don't want to use my credit card and my company doesn't have an Uber account. Instead, I'm given a daily cash stipend for transportation.

Does anyone know if I can purchase an Uber gift card at an aiport? Specifically, the Atlanta (ATL) airport, since I have a layover there.

Now, looking at my app, I don't see the option to add a gift card. I already added a default payment option, so it should show up. My country doesn't have Uber yet, so might that be the reason? Would it show up once the app detects I'm in the US?

Now, if it's not possible to use an Uber gift card, would it be possible to buy a pre-paid Visa card at the airport and use that as a default payment in the Uber app? Would that be a better choice? And could I get one at the ATL airport?

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Can't post a thread yet so I'll put it in here.

Anyone ever had their teeth cleaned by a dental student before? I'm going back to school to finish my undergrad, which means I'm going to be out of dental insurance for about the next 9-10 months or so. Sucks, but that's America. My normal dental provider charges $110 to do a routine teeth cleaning, the University I can get it done at will run about $25. My teeth are in pretty perfect shape, I haven't had any issues since I got my wisdom teeth removed several years ago, smooth sailing since then.

This is old now and you might not need input anymore, but I have definitely done this and would recommend it. Indiana University has a school of dentistry and orthodontics here in Indy and I have had the following services performed there:
  • Had my braces done when I was a teenager. Cost my dad about 40% of what it would have at a regular orthodontist.
  • Several cleanings (I had two friends who were going through the hygiene program and I came in to help them get their patient counts up)
  • Some minor cosmetic work.
It definitely takes longer, but the work is inspected by a professor and you will leave having quality work done for a lot less than at a normal dentist.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Era, I'm travelling to the US next month for a training workshop and I have a couple of questions regarding transportation.

I'd like to use Uber to get around since that seems cheaper than regular taxis, but I don't want to use my credit card and my company doesn't have an Uber account. Instead, I'm given a daily cash stipend for transportation.

Does anyone know if I can purchase an Uber gift card at an aiport? Specifically, the Atlanta (ATL) airport, since I have a layover there.

Now, looking at my app, I don't see the option to add a gift card. I already added a default payment option, so it should show up. My country doesn't have Uber yet, so might that be the reason? Would it show up once the app detects I'm in the US?

Now, if it's not possible to use an Uber gift card, would it be possible to buy a pre-paid Visa card at the airport and use that as a default payment in the Uber app? Would that be a better choice? And could I get one at the ATL airport?

You can use PayPal/Venmo/Google Pay or a prepaid Visa card to add funds in the US via the Uber app. Uber gift cards are a thing, too, but I haven't come across any in the wild.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
So I think my microwave may be broken. The display is off when I plug it in. It was on when I first set it up. It's not an outlet problem because other cords work fine when I plug them into that outlet. Did the fuse really blow or am I just being dumb and forgot to hit a button?

woo

Nov 11, 2017
So I think my microwave may be broken. The display is off when I plug it in. It was on when I first set it up. It's not an outlet problem because other cords work fine when I plug them into that outlet. Did the fuse really blow or am I just being dumb and forgot to hit a button?

Have you replaced the fuse in the plug with one that you know for sure works? It's probably that or at least it invariably is for me when I have those sorts of issues.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
Why is it that restored black and white footage look so obviously weird when artificially colored? I'm watching a netflix WW2 documentary series at the moment and the coloring style is so distracting and off looking. I don't think it's the grainy old camera's fault, that doesn't explain why the colors themselves looks so bleak and unrealistic (same goes for clear black and white photographs with no blur and not actually moving images).

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
If we were to suppose that there is an infinite multiverse, would it follow that if there was any possible way to destroy that multiverse entirely, it would have already occurred? Would this serve as better evidence that such a means of destruction is impossible or that the multiverse is impossible?

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
There is a black and white avatar of a guy...who looks possibly like a young jack Nicholson on a cocaine bender, long black hair, looks like the picture is from the 70's or maybe a serial killer. Username VINFTW always had it as his avatar but then I started seeing other people using it.

Probaby someone from a horror movie or something or some famous actor.

It just always bugs me, what is that from?

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Why is it that restored black and white footage look so obviously weird when artificially colored? I'm watching a netflix WW2 documentary series at the moment and the coloring style is so distracting and off looking. I don't think it's the grainy old camera's fault, that doesn't explain why the colors themselves looks so bleak and unrealistic (same goes for clear black and white photographs with no blur and not actually moving images).
some of the colorization requires guess work. most of it is done by computer where the various shades of grey are assigned to colors so the software matches them up to color each object in each frame. it takes a very long time and many of the algorithms used are still underdeveloped. that's why it doesn't always look 100% natural.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
some of the colorization requires guess work. most of it is done by computer where the various shades of grey are assigned to colors so the software matches them up to color each object in each frame. it takes a very long time and many of the algorithms used are still underdeveloped. that's why it doesn't always look 100% natural.
That does make sense, I didn't consider that computers were involved.