• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I just have one question.

Can you play as an evil character in this game or not. And I do not mean "yes you can kill everyone in this game" but rather being evil but the story still accommodate it within its scope.

One of the most disappointing facets of Fallout 4 for me is no you can't play as a really evil person, the most you can do is just a sarcastic jerk.
Pillars had some of my favorite evil role playing choices in awhile so I'm not too worried about Outer Worlds in that department.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I would say bethesda shouls aproach ms to have Obsidian make a fallout game for xbox/pc, but doubt they are that smart, also I think ms will want to push outer worlds as its own franchise.

I hope this is successful, it seems to have a lot of hype, and could be a huge franchise going forward. I think MS and Obsidian should stick to thier guns and turn this into the true Fallout killer. With an even larger budget, the sequel could be epic. It's possible Fallout might even conoletely skip next gen, leaving OW as the only option.

Congrats to Obsidian for all the excellent reviews, Incan't wait to play.

Oct 26, 2017
Obsidian was able to make 3 85+ games in the last 5 years.

With a bigger budget and all the devs on board on a big AAA title, they will easily reach 90 and beyond.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope this is successful, it seems to have a lot of hype, and could be a huge franchise going forward. I think MS and Obsidian should stick to thier guns and turn this into the true Fallout killer. With an even larger budget, the sequel could be epic. It's possible Fallout might even conoletely skip next gen, leaving OW as the only option.

Congrats to Obsidian for all the excellent reviews, Incan't wait to play.

Obsidian was able to make 3 85+ games in the last 5 years.

With a bigger budget and all the devs on board on a big AAA title, they will easily reach 90 and beyond.
thats what concerns me to some exstent. by working in that mid tier space, they have been allowed to do interesting stuff. I am concerned that if they went AAA they would be forced to play it too safe.

Oct 25, 2017
thats what concerns me to some exstent. by working in that mid tier space, they have been allowed to do interesting stuff. I am concerned that if they went AAA they would be forced to play it too safe.

I really hope they don't give on the isometric RPG's. Having said that, Matt said that there have been almost zero complaints about the devs that were bought by MS, which i imagine ends up being that they are having a lot of creative freedom.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Mine. Sincere apologies it is late. Out of my hands.
Rated it a Buy but it does have some issues folks should be aware of depending on what they are looking for.

You said that you only encountered two bugs (which is impressive, as Fallout 76 may have legitimately hit that mark for me in about five minutes). Out of curiosity, what were they? Were they major?

Last edited:

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
Its truly a mad world when a traditional choice driven rpg is being painted as "meh, this is super safe, better go back to my risky innovation driven battle royale first person shooters"

I wish i lived in the same reality as you people and games like this came out all the time
why you keep making sense in this thread ?

but you are right we need more traditional rpg like the last gen

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I am really curious how the "X" version compares to the Base Xbox/PS4/PRO versions? The "X" has the 4k Textures and the game size is about 36gb or so versus the base consoles/Pro it being about 18gb. That is 18gb of 4k textures so it should have a nice impact and would love to see a side by side.

May 21, 2019
That PC Gamer review sounded kinda harsh. That being said 1 review isn't going to keep me from diving in and enjoying this game, but I didn't expect that line from PC Gamer at all.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Self-indulgent and bloated. The reviewer has a history of wordcraft reviews which are more written for him than informing readers about the attributes and mechanics of a game.
But the review goes in detail about the attributes, mechanics, world design, quests, and structure of the game and he just found the territory trodden a bit too comfortable and predictable. The story trying to be a satire of capitalism comes out as cliched and cute rather than cutting, which sounds like a shame. I can't see how the review was bloated or self-indulgent?

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
Do we have any information whether Digital Foundry will conduct an analysis prior to the games' release?

I really want to check up on the framerate side of things because it seems like base consoles are suffering and I really want to see whether the "big guns" (X,Pro) are rock solid or not...

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guardian (5/5):
The Outer Worlds is vital proof that mid-sized indie teams can take on the big guns at their own game, and leave them looking a little foolish. It provides the most enjoyable dose of escapism I have encountered this year.

RPG Fan (92%):
The Outer Worlds is a triumph for Obsidian Entertainment and AA games in general. They set out to create a successor to New Vegas and succeeded on every conceivable level. Every mechanic I loved from that game, including the stunningly robust faction system, has been taken to new heights. Sure, the world isn't quite as big as New Vegas, but with the almost-limitless choices the game offers you, it feels just as massive. The Outer Worlds may not reinvent the genre, but it is an outstanding example of how engaging RPGs can be when created by developers who have a passion for them and video games in general!

4Players.de (86/100, review in german):
It feels like a mix of Fallout New Vegas, Mass Effect and Firefly. A futuristic Western, with its black humor to make you smile, but also with its multi-layered characters and socio-critical issues to think. At times, The Outer Worlds seems like a brilliant professor making a speech about the tragic end of the world. And best of all, it's time to reward role-players who like to invest in rhetorical skills and subtle maneuvers. Nevertheless, you can not only sneak or convince dipomatisch, but let it really crack and play Bad Ass! However, I recommend the third level, otherwise it is too easy. Look forward to a creatively designed game world, great dialogues, free development, multiple factions, lively party interaction, well-geared quests with some great surprises and martial battles. Unfortunately, there is too much unnecessary loot and crafting, some tasks are somewhat superficially staged, the everyday life and the reactions of the people seem too static, the shooter mechanics are only solid, there are no German speakers, there are both technical and AI deficits. But they never take on proportions like in the days of Fallout New Vegas - Obsidian has increased significantly in terms of production quality. The fact that The Outer Worlds had to fight a bit for the award, is ultimately due to the lack of consistency in the character and faction behavior. There was more in terms of role-playing virtues! But the narrative strengths, the companions and the network of tasks and creative ideas in detail compensate so much that I could sink into the night. You can easily sense that here Timothy Cain and Leonard Boyarsky were experienced masters of their craft at work. For me, The Outer Worlds is the best role-playing game of 2019 despite its weaknesses. I'm looking forward to the first exclusive game for Microsoft and Xbox Scarlett.

LevelUp (8.4/10, review in spanish):
The Outer Worlds is very enjoyable if you are a fan of good stories and intelligent dialogues. On the other hand, if your tastes are more aimed at FPS and action, this may not be entirely for you, since it is evident that the balance is tilted towards the RPG.

Cubed3 (8/10):
The Outer Worlds soars on the strength of its characterisation not only of the main crew but its supporting cast. Every character met is a fleshed out personality with their own hopes and dreams that will keep the quest log full, just to hear the peaks and troughs of life on the fringes of space from another point of view. With such a lot going for it narrative wise, it's a relief to see the combat, skill tree, and controls not let the side down; the only downside being the emptiness of some of the major settlements, especially after speaking to so many about a hub of life on every corner. With the time and care given to making everything so unique, not only the buildings but also the inhabitants, it's a small gripe that doesn't detract from an otherwise great title.

3DJuegos (8/10, review in spanish):
The Outer Worlds is a tremendously irregular video game, with some weaknesses and a technical section not only lacking in aesthetics but with some palpable defects that sometimes make it uncomfortable, especially in console. However, if what we like is the role, the new Obsidian video game reminds us of the reasons why those responsible are among the best RPG authors. An expansive world in which we can take part, with many decisions to face and with a good range of options to do things. If we are able to tolerate its defects, we have great and long entertainment at hand.

GRYOnline.pl (7/10, review in polish):
I spent about 30 hours with The Outer Worlds. At that time, I completed both main story paths and watched both basic end variants (starting the second approach, I simply went back to the record made at the moment from which one thread finally excludes the other - this is only at the end of the adventure). I still have a good dozen or so hours of exploring Arkadia and completing side quests. The latest Obsidian Entertainment games have fallen into my heart (Pillars of Eternity II and Tyranny rated 9/10, I gave the first PoE only half a point less), so I promised a lot after The Outer Worlds. Unfortunately, this time the erpeg veterans should have a leg. Their latest work does not stand out over the second league, where positions such as GreedFall or Elex make him competitors. Fortunately, 2019 will not pass without real gems in the RPG genre. Just a week ago, the disco Elysium, mentioned in the frame, hit the market - a phenomenal "isometric", in which I fell in love at first sight. Against the background of such a game, TOW looks simply poor.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017

Pretty sure Microsoft isn't messing with or dictating to any of the recent acquisitions, so any playing it safe would be coming from Obsidian management.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Hearing about how much diversity in approaches the game gives you in any given scenario based on your choices and what skills you placed points in makes me surprised Deus Ex hasn't been name-checked more often.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Big ups to Private Division for properly supporting Obsidian instead of pushing out an unfinished broken mess.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm reminded of the old story where Obsidian missed out on a huge bonus because Fallout: New Vegas had an 84 on metacritic instead of an 85.

Feels good to see Outer Worlds reach that.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Gameinformer podcast said it nicely. Its a good game and deserves a good score by itself. But it feels extra nice because the people who wanted this kind of experience again were left out abit the last years with the likes of Fallout and Mass Effect. That this feels extra sweet.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Was surprised by that. They really leaned into how much they didn't like it on the podcast, and listener beware as they really seem to talk about tons of story stuff; I started skipping through at some point.

They kind of dig deep on how they don't seem to like games where you're basically the all encompassing savior and other political stuff which I understand, but I don't think any of what they didn't like is making the game less fun for me.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
They kind of dig deep on how they don't seem to like games where you're basically the all encompassing savior and other political stuff which I understand, but I don't think any of what they didn't like is making the game less fun for me.

Certainly. I'm still looking forward to it. A lot of it was definitely coming from a place of what the game "could/should be" rather than "what it is", as well as what seemed like a lack of a general affinity/nostalgia for these sorts of games. All legitimate takes, but not takes that necessarily apply to me.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Certainly. I'm still looking forward to it. A lot of it was definitely coming from a place of what the game "could/should be" rather than "what it is", as well as what seemed like a lack of a general affinity/nostalgia for these sorts of games. All legitimate takes, but not takes that necessarily apply to me.
Interesting. The game is very clear that there are few morally absolute choices. So while capitalism is certainly the bad and corruptive force, it's not necessarily presented as evil. Beyond that, the whole point of this world is that people don't understand what they're living. Exactly the counterpoint Rob asks for is Parvati, who is both compassionate and also raised by this system. But in many ways, it seems Obsidian is trying to tell a story about what happens when even the resistors are brought up so deeply in this system that they don't even realize it. That should really be up Waypoint's alley. It's still a bit surprising (from that angle, anyway).

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Interesting. The game is very clear that there are few morally absolute choices. So while capitalism is certainly the bad and corruptive force, it's not necessarily presented as evil. Beyond that, the whole point of this world is that people don't understand what they're living. Exactly the counterpoint Rob asks for is Parvati, who is both compassionate and also raised by this system. But in many ways, it seems Obsidian is trying to tell a story about what happens when even the resistors are brought up so deeply in this system that they don't even realize it. That should really be up Waypoint's alley. It's still a bit surprising (from that angle, anyway).

agree

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Gameinformer podcast said it nicely. Its a good game and deserves a good score by itself. But it feels extra nice because the people who wanted this kind of experience again were left out abit the last years with the likes of Fallout and Mass Effect. That this feels extra sweet.
but this kind of things happens to a lot of games for good or bad. There are games that feels refreshing because the audience is eager for that kind of game, and games that feel tired because people is bored of a certain genre. I don't think many games are reviewed on an isolated bubble where trends, nostalgia and other things don'tt affect reviewers and public.