Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Permitted from? What does that even mean?

Typo I'm guessing.

Reading the follow-up thread, it sounds like the Jury got hung up on 1 charge because the showboating judge wanted to speed the trial along and didn't allow a certain piece of evidence to be presented during cross-examination or some other part of the trial.

So, now the Jury has to go back and reexamine the one charge against the evidence that wasn't originally discussed during the trial.

Or something like that.

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
Huh? They ask:

"If we cannot come to a consensus on a single count, how should we fill in the jury form for that count?"

They can't agree on one count. The sentence, taken as a whole, is clear.

Not clear. They could have not come to a consensus on 5 single counts. It's suggestive that there is only 1 count they are talking about, but it is not 100% definitive as the wording does not exclude that interpretation.

Would it be more or less ambiguous if they said "if we cannot come to a consensus on one of the counts, how should we fill in the jury form for that count"?

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Typo I'm guessing.

Reading the follow-up thread, it sounds like the Jury got hung up on 1 charge because the showboating judge wanted to speed the trial along and didn't allow a certain piece of evidence to be presented during cross-examination or some other part of the trial.

So, now the Jury has to go back and reexamine the one charge against the evidence that wasn't originally discussed during the trial.

Or something like that.

My negative opinion of this judge has not changed. This judge man. smh

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not clear. They could have not come to a consensus on 5 single counts. It's suggestive that there is only 1 count they are talking about, but it is not 100% definitive as the wording does not exclude that interpretation.

Would it be more or less ambiguous if they said "if we cannot come to a consensus on one of the counts, how should we fill in the jury form for that count"?

They're talking about 1 (one) count when they say "single." In context with the second half of the sentence it isn't ambiguous.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Sounds like he's guilty on all but 1 count to me.

Innocent on all but 1 count wouldn't make sense to deliberate on.

But, weirder things have happened.

Pretty sure it can be a mix of any number. No idea what it is, but a guilty of 12 and not guilty of 5 or guilty of 7 and not guilty of 11 are probably just as possible. We wouldn't know.

I think they were just confused on what to do if they were hung up on one out of all of them.

BronzeWolf

Nov 3, 2017
Mexico
who knows if it's going to rain. I mean, yeah if you look at the dark clouds or if you look yonder, the soil is wet, but will it rain here?

Oct 27, 2017
As multiple DAs have said on CNN, if the jury had decided not-guilty on 17 of 18 charges, they wouldn't waste time deliberating the 18th.

Cochese

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
My motto is always trust, but verify.

I trust the jury will send him to jail for the rest of his life. I won't be happy until I see it in writing.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
As multiple DAs have said on CNN, if the jury had decided not-guilty on 17 of 18 charges, they wouldn't waste time deliberating the 18th.

Yup.

I think he's guilty on all charges and the last one they are hung up on because the judge didn't allow the prosecution to go over and explain that particular piece of evidence during the trial because this judge is a showboat drama king.

So, the jury has to research it on their own and it sounds like they could have used some guidance on it from one of the prosecutors that actually know what it pertains to.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't know, guys. I haven't been following the trial and this is my first time posting in the thread, but I think he's going to be found not guilty on all charges. I mean, does anyone else remember the 2016 election????

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017

What the reason behind this logic ? I know nothing about law, but I would think the opposite, so clearly I must be missing something

I wouldn't care for the 18th charge, if I found 17 guilty...

But I would be VERY cautious, if I would find 17 not guilty but would be on the edge for the last one. That's a prison time in the balance over a single charge there

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
uhmmmm how would that work?

"Yes, we have found Manafort paid shit for taxes, but we all agree that's ok"?

That is actually a thing. Jury nullification. I mean, it's almost certainly not gonna happen here, but juries can totally say "not guilty" on slam dunk charges if they don't think the behavior should be illegal. I think you mostly see it today in drug cases, but it was also big in the northern states when it came returning to escaped slaves.

Oct 27, 2017
What the reason behind this logic ? I know nothing about law, but I would think the opposite, so clearly I must be missing something

I wouldn't care for the 18th charge, if I found 17 guilty...

But I would be VERY cautious, if I would found 17 not guilty but would be on the edge for the last one. That's a prison time in the balance over a single charge there
I would think if you have reasonable doubt for 17 changes you're probably going to have it for the 18th as well. At that point the prosecution's case would've totally collapsed and you wouldn't be agonizing over a single charge.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where are assumptions about what the one charge they're hung up on is or why it's that one coming from?

Oct 30, 2017