Anduril

Oct 28, 2017
I'd like to upgrade my ancient GTX 1060 3gb with a new gpu in the 400-500€ range - currently on an 1080p screen, but I'd like it to be as future proof possible as I can get for the money, preferably something good enough to eventually run VR on. My whole set up is quite old (Ryzen 2700x with an Asus B350 Plus mobo), but everything's otherwise still running okay and the gpu is the oldest thing in my build.

3070? 4060TI? 3070TI seems out of my range, but I don't know if there are other advantages to having a newish gpu compared to something released 3 years ago.

Crisium

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to upgrade my ancient GTX 1060 3gb with a new gpu in the 400-500€ range - currently on an 1080p screen, but I'd like it to be as future proof possible as I can get for the money, preferably something good enough to eventually run VR on. My whole set up is quite old (Ryzen 2700x with an Asus B350 Plus mobo), but everything's otherwise still running okay and the gpu is the oldest thing in my build.

3070? 4060TI? 3070TI seems out of my range, but I don't know if there are other advantages to having a newish gpu compared to something released 3 years ago.

Your CPU will bottleneck most upgrades tbh. Your best bet is to upgrade both tbh. Ryzen 5600 is a cheap drop-in (make sure bios updated) and then a GPU. I don't recommend any of those GPUs tbh. You don't want to get an 8GB GPU, and the 16GB 4060 Ti is too expensive and close to the much superior 4070 in price.

If you can stretch to a 5600 + 4070 you'll see a tremendous upgrade. If you can't reach for the 4070, you might have to settle with an AMD card. RDNA 3 VR wasn't great, but RDNA 2 isn't bad. A 6700 XT or a 6750 XT are good choices. The 6700 XT roughly matches 3060 Ti performance but without the VRAM bottlenecks of the 3060 Ti or 3070 series. I still recommend Nvidia for VR if you can as it's better, but do not get an 8GB card. 3060 12GB is an option too but yes it is quite a bit slower than the other cards discussed (noticeably slower than 6700 XT even in VR but smoother frametimes in VR than AMD cards).

Again It's a tough choice on your GPU front if you cannot stretch to the 4070.

Edit: Honestly, how is the used market and are you ok with used? The RTX 2080 Ti is a great card still. It's effectively a 3070 11GB. Good performance still and gets you better VR than AMD without the VRAM concerns that other Nvidia cards have.

Last edited:

cHinzo

Oct 27, 2017

Just try to find a 3080 for around €400 and save ur money to upgrade ur CPU in the future. I used to pair my 3080 with an i7 6700 and while I left some performance on the table with that CPU, the GPU was still beasting. Although my frames pretty much doubled once I build my new rig and went from that CPU to a i7 13700K In Cyberpunk lol.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017

Don't skip the CPU upgrade and don't buy a 8GB GPU would be my advice.

A 5600 is only 98 Euro currently at Amazon.de so don't skip that:

If buying new I'd then go with a 350 Euro 6750XT. A used 3080 might fit in budget and would be a better option for VR. Disregard all of the cards you are currently looking at.

Anduril

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for all the replies!

I usually change my gpu every 5+ years and then a few years later change the mobo + cpu (huh, seems the last changes were in 2016 and 2018 :o ) and that's what I was planning now - gpu atm and mobo+cpu in a few years. What would you guys recommend in that case? I'm also leaning more towards new rather than used, cause I don't really wanna risk a 400+€ gpu dying on me in a few months without warranty.

I haven't been paying much attention to gpus in the last few years - how is AMD now with DLSS/their equivalent? I know it was much worse than DLSS in the beginning, has that changed?

arrado

Jan 1, 2020

I usually change my gpu every 5+ years and then a few years later change the mobo + cpu (huh, seems the last changes were in 2016 and 2018 :o ) and that's what I was planning now - gpu atm and mobo+cpu in a few years. What would you guys recommend in that case? I'm also leaning more towards new rather than used, cause I don't really wanna risk a 400+€ gpu dying on me in a few months without warranty.

I haven't been paying much attention to gpus in the last few years - how is AMD now with DLSS/their equivalent? I know it was much worse than DLSS in the beginning, has that changed?
Tbh AMD is king in the €300-500 range. Nvidia's offerings in this range kinda suck at the moment.

The best upgrade you can do is that 5600 in combination with a 6700XT, 6750XT, 6800 or 7700XT, depending on availability.

Also, what's your ram and power supply?

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017

No matter what you do don't skip the CPU upgrade, it's only 100 Euros and without it you're just going to bottleneck whatever GPU you upgrade to. The 2700x is a really poor fit for gaming, it was built for work not games, and struggles massively in newer titles, with the 5600 so cheap and a drop in upgrade it makes no sense to keep that CPU around. You either upgrade both or you don't upgrade at all.

Nvidia would be preferable but anything less than a 4070 is just impossible to recommend. So you either increase your budget, go AMD or buy used. Nvidia don't have a competitive GPU within your budget. AMD don't have an alternative to DLSS, FSR2 remains trash but at 1080P you can stick to native resolution until you upgrade your monitor anyway, that's a very low resolution to target.

Anduril

Oct 28, 2017
Also, what's your ram and power supply?

32gb DDR4-3200 and Corsair TX-M Series 650.

No matter what you do don't skip the CPU upgrade, it's only 100 Euros and without it you're just going to bottleneck whatever GPU you upgrade to. The 2700x is a really poor fit for gaming, it was built for work not games, and struggles massively in newer titles, with the 5600 so cheap and a drop in upgrade it makes no sense to keep that CPU around. You either upgrade both or you don't upgrade at all.

Yeah, cause my rig unfortunately isn't a pure gaming machine, it's also my semi-work programming/Photoshop/Lightroom rig, why I feel like I'd rather upgrade my cpu later for a bigger bump than 5600 seems? Maybe invest in a 4070 now, which I guess would probably still enable me to play new stuff at 1080p and nice frame rates? Dunno, please don't hate on me, I'm not so invested in getting the maximum out of a new gpu now, if it means it's gonna last me a few years more combined with a better cpu down the line ... but I also know little to nothing about the state of current cpus and gpus so I really appreciate all the suggestions.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
32gb DDR4-3200 and Corsair TX-M Series 650.

Yeah, cause my rig unfortunately isn't a pure gaming machine, it's also my semi-work programming/Photoshop/Lightroom rig, why I feel like I'd rather upgrade my cpu later for a bigger bump than 5600 seems? Maybe invest in a 4070 now, which I guess would probably still enable me to play new stuff at 1080p and nice frame rates? Dunno, please don't hate on me, I'm not so invested in getting the maximum out of a new gpu now, if it means it's gonna last me a few years more combined with a better cpu down the line ... but I also know little to nothing about the state of current cpus and gpus so I really appreciate all the suggestions.

Well a 5600x is faster than your 2700x in all of that as well and it's 50%+ better in games. Your 2700x is just going to leave you CPU bound when you upgrade your GPU and pushing the GPU up to a 4070 is going to make things even worse. You'll gain no additional performance over a 6750XT because you'll be CPU bound.

At 100 Euro it's so cheap there's just no sense in skipping a CPU upgrade. If you want a faster CPU then by all means consider a 5700x3D but I really can't stress enough how important that CPU upgrade is. Your CPU dictates the framerate you can play at, not your GPU because you can always get better performance out of a GPU by dropping settings/resolution or upscaling.

Scott Lufkin

Dec 7, 2017
I asked for help a few weeks back and got some good advice, and I incorported some of it but also went a little higher with my budget and took a bit bigger swing than I was going to originally. But I thought I'd drop an update and some thoughts on my new build.

First, User Performance benchmark has at some point since my last build (2019) become some sort of pay $10 to subscribe annually nonesense so I had to try for a few days to get into a queue and shoot some spaceships in an absolutely gross/boring little shooter before my benchmark would start. But I refused to pay $10 for this, so mission accomplished. Won't be using this again hopefully for like 5 years.

nmOKfYl.jpeg

This is with no OCing at all, except to enable the XMP profile for my 6600GHz Memory.

The results are both awesome and make me feel pretty good about my investment but also are in line with what I experienced with actual games I tested with the build - the 4080 Super I picked up a few months ago with my old PC (i9-9900K, 32GB DDR4, 500GB SSD Samsung 970) was a solid upgrade from the previous card (a 3080 FTW3 from back when EVGA made cards), but with the new components I saw absolutely huge gains in games I didn't even expect to.

(I'm using 3440x1440 UltraWide)

Warhammer 3
- I went from 79 to 110 fps average (and that's on the Ultra preset with Extreme shadows!)

Age of Wonders 4 - I would usually fluctuate between 45-60 fps, mostly low 50's here, but now I'm above 110, often 120-130 and this is a late game save I loaded up.

Cyberpunk 2077 - with my previous build (this was with the 3080 still when I played the new DLC) I had to lower most of my settings to Medium/High to get Ray Tracing working at a stable 40-60fps (mostly 40 in the new area) with agressive DLSS. Now, this is at launch of the Phantom Libertyh expansion so there may have been some optimization done since I played it, but on the Ultra preset without any DLSS settings and scored 150peak and 101fps average, with a lowest of 55fps. Makes me want to play it again.

No Rest for the Wicked (Early Access) - This one was tough, on the highest settings I'd jump around between 40-50 most of the time, but it would dip into the low 20's sometimes like in town. This is with the 4080 Super even. With the upgrade I'm seeing 90s and into the 100s and it just felt SO MUCH better.

I wanted to also test Dragon's Dogma 2 - another game I remember struggling with - but I am eager to play that again and if I started playing it just to test performance I would NEVER wrap up Eiyden Chronicles, I was sure.

Honestly, I initially poo-poo'd doing this build, and only did it really because my college age son (far from home living in terrifying Chicago) wanted a decent gaming PC to play on and it had been around 4.5 years since I built my PC (and I was feeling that itch...) and I did have a new video card that was probably not being used to it's fullest capacity, so I saved up some cash and got this built. I am super surprised at how CPU bound a lot of games I played this year ended up being, I would have put GPU/CPU usage at like 85-90% for GPU and the rest for CPU but it seems like it's a more a 50/50 split depoending on the game these days?

By the way, someone recommended the Thermalright 120 CPU Cooler when they linked a suggested build (I decided to stick with Intel - I now a lot of folks here recommended AMD but I just was more comfortable and familiar with them, and I upgraded to the i9 because I got a lot more on my bonus than I'd expected and figured "why not") and that CPU cooler seems excellent and was half the price of the Noctua I was looking at. Thanks for all the suggestions!

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Surprise upgrade project for this weekend.

A few weeks ago, Corsair did a contest on the r/watercooling subreddit. Offering a full suite of watercooling parts and their new case to 3 winners. I didn't win, but someone from Corsair contacted me a few days later offering me a full set of their new radiator fans.

QsYUMPB.jpg

Like $300 of free fans. Upgrade from my old Corsair SP120, and it's the new link system so fewer wires. Thought it was a pretty neat thing to do.

And most importantly, it wasn't a scam.

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
Surprise upgrade project for this weekend.

A few weeks ago, Corsair did a contest on the r/watercooling subreddit. Offering a full suite of watercooling parts and their new case to 3 winners. I didn't win, but someone from Corsair contacted me a few days later offering me a full set of their new radiator fans.

QsYUMPB.jpg

Like $300 of free fans. Upgrade from my old Corsair SP120, and it's the new link system so fewer wires. Thought it was a pretty neat thing to do.

And most importantly, it wasn't a scam.
Wow, that's really cool they did that. I wonder how they decided to offer extra stuff not announced in the contest. Very cool!

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that's really cool they did that. I wonder how they decided to offer extra stuff not announced in the contest. Very cool!

No clue. I messaged the person in charge of the subreddit just to make sure it wasn't a scam and he said there were some consolation prize packs. One of the entry requirements was that you had to have a completed build posted in the subreddit before the contest was announced, so compared to other free pc stuff contests I have to imagine the entrant pool was fairly small.

Anduril

Oct 28, 2017
Well a 5600x is faster than your 2700x in all of that as well and it's 50%+ better in games. Your 2700x is just going to leave you CPU bound when you upgrade your GPU and pushing the GPU up to a 4070 is going to make things even worse. You'll gain no additional performance over a 6750XT because you'll be CPU bound.

At 100 Euro it's so cheap there's just no sense in skipping a CPU upgrade. If you want a faster CPU then by all means consider a 5700x3D but I really can't stress enough how important that CPU upgrade is. Your CPU dictates the framerate you can play at, not your GPU because you can always get better performance out of a GPU by dropping settings/resolution or upscaling.

Well, now you've pushed me down the rabbit hole of checking out all the possible cpus (screw mah budget! not really :( ), but I'm leaning towards getting something cheap, as you suggested.

Just one last question, hopefully: what's the difference between 5600 and 5600x (also 5600x3d)? The 5600 isn't as cheap anymore on Amazon, but there are 5600x for 115€, which seem a tiny bit faster (but somehow older? even though I would think a 5600 would precede a 5600x given the name). Would a 5600 have other advantages being a newer cpu?

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
Well, now you've pushed me down the rabbit hole of checking out all the possible cpus (screw mah budget! not really :( ), but I'm leaning towards getting something cheap, as you suggested.

Just one last question, hopefully: what's the difference between 5600 and 5600x (also 5600x3d)? The 5600 isn't as cheap anymore on Amazon, but there are 5600x for 115€, which seem a tiny bit faster (but somehow older? even though I would think a 5600 would precede a 5600x given the name). Would a 5600 have other advantages being a newer cpu?
5600X boosts 200mhz higher, so it is marginally faster.

It's just how AMD's product stack works.
They release the X version of a CPU first, then a year later or so they launch the non-X version. The non-X version offers almost the same performance but at a lower price. Sometimes the non-X version is more efficient as well (this is not the case with 5600, they're both 65W TDP parts).

Last edited:

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017

5600 and 5600x are functionally the same, choose whichever is cheapest. They do go on sale under 100 Euro now so double check for deals before buying.

5600x3D is much faster in games but not available in Europe.

If you're willing to increase your budget just a little then the 5700x3D is the CPU to look at, it performs roughly on par with current generation CPUs (7600/14600K) in games.

A "high end" option of a 5700x3D and 4070 would be fantastic. To put that into context you're looking at a GPU equivalent to a PS5 Pro with a CPU roughly twice as fast in games, it would be a very significant upgrade for you. With 32GB you'd be set for a very long time and the extra 2 CPU cores will help in all of your other workloads.

A "low end" option of a 5600x and 6750XT would also be great, just comes down to budget, but both would be really fantastic and balanced systems.

Double check your motherboard CPU compatibility list before buying the CPU, compatibility is excellent on AM4 but double check beforehand with your board being B350. You'll likely need to perform a BIOS update before changing CPUs to make it compatible with the new CPUs.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017

You could potentially hold off on any CPU upgrade until Computex which is June 4, where AMD will likely announce their new 9000 series Ryzen lineup. That would be a huge upgrade if you want the CPU upgrade to last years. Plus, you can still always get a 5600 if you decide that the 9000 series is too expensive of upgrade option. The 5600x is a faster cpu than the 5600, the only advantage the 5600 has is it is supposed to be a cheaper CPU... And you don't want the 5600x3d, if you are going for a X3D processor, you would want the 5700x3d at a minimum and only get a 5800x3d if it is super discounted very close to the 5700x3d price.

Oh yeah, there could be an issue with any CPU upgrade for your current motherboard. I am not sure if the B350 lineup can even properly support the 5000 series and especially not sure if they were ever updated to support a 5700x3d. The 5000 series support on the X370 lineup of motherboards was always a bit flakey and didn't support curve optimizer for the X3D processors for a very long time, I imagine the sitiuation with the B350 lineup could be worse.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
You could potentially hold off on any CPU upgrade until Computex which is June 4, where AMD will likely announce their new 9000 series Ryzen lineup. That would be a huge upgrade if you want the CPU upgrade to last years. Plus, you can still always get a 5600 if you decide that the 9000 series is too expensive of upgrade option. The 5600x is a faster cpu than the 5600, the only advantage the 5600 has is it is supposed to be a cheaper CPU... And you don't want the 5600x3d, if you are going for a X3D processor, you would want the 5700x3d at a minimum and only get a 5800x3d if it is super discounted very close to the 5700x3d price.

You're not going to get a full system upgrade to AM5, a 9000 series CPU, 32GB DDR5 RAM and a GPU upgrade in a 500 Euro budget.

A 100 Euro for 50%+ more CPU performance and to ensure your new GPU isn't bottlenecked is one thing but throwing 500+ Euro on a brand new platform is something different entirely and not a cost efficient use of a limited budget. I don't think the launch of new Ryzen CPUs is relevant at all in this situation.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
You're not going to get a full system upgrade to AM5, a 9000 series CPU, 32GB DDR5 RAM and a GPU upgrade in a 500 Euro budget.

A 100 Euro for 50%+ more CPU performance and to ensure your new GPU isn't bottlenecked is one thing but throwing 500+ Euro on a brand new platform is something different entirely and not a cost efficient use of a limited budget. I don't think the launch of new Ryzen CPUs is relevant at all in this situation.
It might be relevant in that his motherboard might not be a good experience to upgrade to a 5000 series, he might be better off getting an used 3700x/3900X for work plus slightly better for gaming, or getting an entirely new CPU/motherboard. I looked on Asus website and it does appear to at least have a BIOS update to support the 5600 or 5700x3d, but that doesn't mean it will entirely be stable / work all that well. I guess I will look a little bit on reddit and overclock.net to see how well B350 boards do. I didn't have the best of experiences with a semi-high end X370 motherboard.

Edit: Just looking around a bit on reddit and overclocker, I think a 5600 could work just fine on the Asus B350 Prime Plus. But the VRM on the motherboard is quite weak and the bios might not be updated properly to support PBO / Curve Optimizer for X3d processors, so it is probably best just to go with the 5600 / 5600x when sticking with the same motherboard.

Last edited:

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
Thanks to some good work news I can finally make a decision on having my PC be Dawntrail ready, but I'd like to explore PC gaming more as I think PC could provide some more options from an accessibility perspective for me. My CPU is AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor and my GPU is Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti. If it helps, I have 32GB of RAM.

From what I understand, my CPU is what I'd need to upgrade more urgently. I'm hoping to be able to play something like Baldur's Gate 3 comfortably and be okay for a few years. I was looking at the AMD 5600X or the Ryzen 7 3700X after doing a bit of googling. Are these good options or should I look at something else? I really appreciate any suggestions!

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks to some good work news I can finally make a decision on having my PC be Dawntrail ready, but I'd like to explore PC gaming more as I think PC could provide some more options from an accessibility perspective for me. My CPU is AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor and my GPU is Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti. If it helps, I have 32GB of RAM.

From what I understand, my CPU is what I'd need to upgrade more urgently. I'm hoping to be able to play something like Baldur's Gate 3 comfortably and be okay for a few years. I was looking at the AMD 5600X or the Ryzen 7 3700X after doing a bit of googling. Are these good options or should I look at something else? I really appreciate any suggestions!

Zen 2 is a crap architecture for gaming, so disregard the 3700x. The 5600(x) would be a good option on the low end and 5700x3D on the high end. I wouldn't consider anything else.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
My son's PC needed a refresh so I disassembled late last week to install a new GPU, SSD, and Wi-Fi card. Unfortunately the WiFI card was M.2 but encased in a metal RF shield box that wasn't intended to be removed. The entire I/O backplate was installed in a way to make it difficult to mess with, so I managed to break the MB doing the surgery (with pliers!). I knew there was a chance, but it was old and I'm a dumbass.

Queue the "fruit basket" upgrade. I transitioned my 5800X3D setup to him and purchased a new 7800X3D, MSI 670e Carbon, and some G.Skill DDR5 (6000/30) at Microcenter. I built the entire PC in full without testing because I was in a time crunch, and the motherboard was DOA. The post code digits wouldn't even light up.

I got that swapped and re-built Monday and it's fucking fantastic, though I'm still trying to come to grips with MSI's BIOS. I'm used to ASUS but tired of their nonsense.

Guys, don't sleep on the MC bundles. I got my CPU, motherboard, and RAM for $750 all in. The same exact stuff was around $1000 elsewhere. It's a bit of a bummer since the new AMD parts are coming later this year, but kid needed his PC squared away for college and the universe placed it in my office while we got the carpets cleaned. I couldn't resist tearing it down while I was dusting it.

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
Zen 2 is a crap architecture for gaming, so disregard the 3700x. The 5600(x) would be a good option on the low end and 5700x3D on the high end. I wouldn't consider anything else.

Thank you! The 5700x3D is within budget so I'll go for that. If you don't mind me asking, is there a reason why the 5800x3D wouldn't work?

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Thank you! The 5700x3D is within budget so I'll go for that. If you don't mind me asking, is there a reason why the 5800x3D wouldn't work?

They offer very similar performance but the 5800x3D is generally much more expensive. If they're within $20 of each other you can consider the 5800x3D but otherwise you'll get better value with the 5700x3D.

Check compatibility for your motherboard first and make sure you update your BIOS before changing the CPU.

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
They offer very similar performance but the 5800x3D is generally much more expensive. If they're within $20 of each other you can consider the 5800x3D but otherwise you'll get better value with the 5700x3D.

Check compatibility for your motherboard first and make sure you update your BIOS before changing the CPU.

Much appreciated, thank you! The 5800x3D is at least $100 to $150 more expensive where I live so I'll steer clear.

LoveBug566

Oct 27, 2017
I need some help. I haven't built a PC in over a decade and my wife wants one with pink RGB.

I have an AIO cooler with RGB, 3 fans with RGB and the lian li strimer v2 24 and 8 pin.

My MB has one ARGB port and two RGB ports. Will I need a splitter and if so what would people recommend?

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I overclocked RAM for the first time, since I'm running b-die now. It's arguably incomplete since I didn't touch tWTR/L and the write to read tertiaries, because I kept finding conflicting explanations of how they work. I also didn't touch tREFI because I don't really trust a lot of the advice I found, which boiled down to "doesn't matter, just crank it up." Despite tREFI being very temperature-dependent AND being one of the most difficult timings to test stability for AND being one of the ones that can most easily corrupt a system.

If there's one thing I really learned, it's that nobody knows shit about overclocking RAM and everybody basically just throws things at the wall and sometimes they stick.

Started at 3200MT/s 14/14/14/34, with 45GB/s bandwidth and 66.6ns latency on XMP.

Finished at 4000MT/s 16/16/16/34, with 61GB/s bandwidth and 53ns latency.

ZlPAhsI.png

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
anyone have a good suggestion for small form factor cases for 4090's?
iv looked at some but curious if folks have a good experience with one

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
And you don't want the 5600x3d, if you are going for a X3D processor, you would want the 5700x3d at a minimum

Incorrect. 5600X3D is a fantastic gaming CPU. Which makes the 5700X3D feel completely irrelevant. And the 5800X3D clearly segmented as the min/max Halo product of AM4----which is not worth the price premium. Spend the extra money on a better GPU upgrade.

Oh yeah, there could be an issue with any CPU upgrade for your current motherboard. I am not sure if the B350 lineup can even properly support the 5000 series and especially not sure if they were ever updated to support a 5700x3d. The 5000 series support on the X370 lineup of motherboards was always a bit flakey and didn't support curve optimizer for the X3D processors for a very long time, I imagine the sitiuation with the B350 lineup could be worse.

It might be relevant in that his motherboard might not be a good experience to upgrade to a 5000 series, he might be better off getting an used 3700x/3900X for work plus slightly better for gaming, or getting an entirely new CPU/motherboard. I looked on Asus website and it does appear to at least have a BIOS update to support the 5600 or 5700x3d, but that doesn't mean it will entirely be stable / work all that well. I guess I will look a little bit on reddit and overclock.net to see how well B350 boards do. I didn't have the best of experiences with a semi-high end X370 motherboard.

Edit: Just looking around a bit on reddit and overclocker, I think a 5600 could work just fine on the Asus B350 Prime Plus. But the VRM on the motherboard is quite weak and the bios might not be updated properly to support PBO / Curve Optimizer for X3d processors, so it is probably best just to go with the 5600 / 5600x when sticking with the same motherboard.
There are plenty of youtube channels showing b3/x3 boards running 5800x3d with zero problem.
Asus says they validated 5600X3D and 5700X3D on a 2 year old bios, for the Asus Prime B350 Plus.

X3D chips don't need much VRM to game. Indeed, you won't get PBO or curve optimizer. But, those aren't needed anyway.

Cosmic

Jan 7, 2018
Hi all.

I am looking to get something fairly decent and was just wondering what I should do. I'm changing to PC from consoles which are my main at the moment. I have a gaming laptop but the fan noise and thermals are just off the charts.

Should I get something now, or wait for Zen 5, 5090?

Crisium

Oct 25, 2017
Hi all.

I am looking to get something fairly decent and was just wondering what I should do. I'm changing to PC from consoles which are my main at the moment. I have a gaming laptop but the fan noise and thermals are just off the charts.

Should I get something now, or wait for Zen 5, 5090?

It's not a bad time to build now, just avoid the overpriced 4090. 4070 Super is a great "mid range" card ($600 is midrange now sadly). If you want something with more longevity, 4070 Ti Super or 4080 Super get you extra VRAM on top of being faster. Get the 4070 Super if you're interested in upgrading to the 5000 series, or one the aforementioned 16GB cards if you wanna skip a generation.

The fastest gaming CPU is quite affordable and sips power: the 7800X3D. Regular Zen 5 might be slower (rumours are all over the place, but the latest is pessimist), and Zen 5 3D is could be just about a full year away. If you don't mind upgrading the CPU, another good choice is to save money with the Ryzen 7600 which is at least "fairly decent" for gaming. And then later on you can get Zen 5 3D.

Or wait. But it's very possible Zen 5 3D and 5070 series could be close to a full year away. 5090 likely launching toward the end of this year if you really wanna splurge though.

Anduril

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for all the answers, brain_stew and Reinhard!

I've now sort of decided on a 4070 and 5600x (unless 5600 drops in price on Amazon again), but when trying to decide between the 4070 brands I stumbled upon these reddit posts:

MSI and Zotac were of course the brands I was looking at, cause they're the only ones around 560€ on Amazon.de, while everything else is 600€+, and they have supposed bad quality cooling via that chart? But if I take Asus or Gigabyte, I'm then like 30€ away from a 4070 Super from the same brands (650€ for an Asus). I'm leaning more towards just taking a MSI one for 550€ and hope if something fails it does in the 2 year warranty, cause I'm way over budget with this already ... argh.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017

I've now sort of decided on a 4070 and 5600x (unless 5600 drops in price on Amazon again), but when trying to decide between the 4070 brands I stumbled upon these reddit posts:

MSI and Zotac were of course the brands I was looking at, cause they're the only ones around 560€ on Amazon.de, while everything else is 600€+, and they have supposed bad quality cooling via that chart? But if I take Asus or Gigabyte, I'm then like 30€ away from a 4070 Super from the same brands (650€ for an Asus). I'm leaning more towards just taking a MSI one for 550€ and hope if something fails it does in the 2 year warranty, cause I'm way over budget with this already ... argh.

What are we classing as "bad quality cooling". As long as the card hits it's boost clocks and doesn't sound like a jet engine it's unlikely that you're going to notice much difference between models. The 4070 is a low power draw card, it doesn't need super high end cooling or VRMs.

Don't pay 4070 Super money for a 4070.

Crisium

Oct 25, 2017

The whole reason we recommended 4070 and not 4070 Super was cause of your tight budget. Brain is right, don't overpay on the regular 4070 and get the cheapest since you are already going over budget. But 5600(X) + 4070 will be such a tremendous upgrade over your 2700X + 1060 3GB for gaming it will be staggering. You will be happy with your performance.

Sep 29, 2020
Don't know if there's a dedicated thread for monitors but do anyone have any experience with the MSI MAG401QR? I'm torn between that and a curved 34" VA display, more specifically the Asus VG34VQL3A.
It will be used for work (coding) and games ofc. I've looked at some other, cheaper VA displays that are around 100hz with USB-C (to connect my work laptop) but I don't know, I've always gone for IPS screens but there aren't any IPS ultrawide available for a decent price where I am except for that MSI one.

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur
I find this article a pretty good read.
www.techspot.com

Are 6 Core CPUs Enough for PC Gaming?

There are plenty of fast 6-core gaming CPUs that outperform relatively new 8, 10, 12, and even 16-core chips. In this article we'll show you some interesting...

great for folks that have older cpu and debating to just get a powerful gpu because they game on 4k and thus thinking cpu wont matter much. or the current misinterpretation of most article just benching 1080p that ppl arent getting a full grasp behind the performance data rolving around it

SpyGuy

Oct 30, 2017
Building a new PC. 80% work, 20% gaming.
Should I install Windows 11 Pro or stick with Windows 10?
Do you think Microsoft will give in and support 10 past Oct 2025?
Any benefits of Windows 11?
Heard about all the issues only. Not too excited about making the switch.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Windows 11 is basically a Windows 10 service pack. Most of the complaints are UI gripes. If you put the taskbar on the top, you can't do that anymore, so that might be annoying. The start menu is different, but do you really navigate it, or just open it and type? People complain about Copilot and all the telemetry stuff but it's hardly different than 10. Disable if you don't want it.

There are some valid complaints regarding specific hardware or software compatibility but those aren't that common.

Benefits are pretty minor. Performance is functionality identical to 10 outside of blatant compatibility issues. Better window snapping. I like the tabbed Explorer window without having to modifying the OS. Supports auto-HDR. Has a scheduler that supports Intel e-cores if you get an Intel CPU.

Literally my biggest complaint about Windows 11 vs 10 is that the advanced sound settings take an extra click or two to get to.

SpyGuy

Oct 30, 2017
Windows 11 is basically a Windows 10 service pack. Most of the complaints are UI gripes. If you put the taskbar on the top, you can't do that anymore, so that might be annoying. The start menu is different, but do you really navigate it, or just open it and type? People complain about Copilot and all the telemetry stuff but it's hardly different than 10. Disable if you don't want it.

There are some valid complaints regarding specific hardware or software compatibility but those aren't that common.

Benefits are pretty minor. Performance is functionality identical to 10 outside of blatant compatibility issues. Better window snapping. I like the tabbed Explorer window without having to modifying the OS. Supports auto-HDR. Has a scheduler that supports Intel e-cores if you get an Intel CPU.

Literally my biggest complaint about Windows 11 vs 10 is that the advanced sound settings take an extra click or two to get to.

Ok thanks this was very helpful. I don't care for the start menu so that won't be an issue.
I will have to find a way to have all the "advanced" options when I right click similar to that in Windows 10. I am going to assume this is just a setting change.

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
Ok thanks this was very helpful. I don't care for the start menu so that won't be an issue.
I will have to find a way to have all the "advanced" options when I right click similar to that in Windows 10. I am going to assume this is just a setting change.
You can now hold shift as you right-click.

Otherwise, its a registry key to make it right-click only.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Wading in with a pedestrian question because it's regarding a pre-built, but... this seems like a pretty amazing deal from Lenovo, right? https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/desk...rs/legion-tower-5-gen-8-(26l,-amd)/90ux0013us

4070 Ti Super / AMD 7700 / 32GB RAM / 1TB SSD for ~$1600... the only thing that looks off is maybe RAM is a bit slow? I've been out of the PC game for ~10 years but am looking to get back into it, and just prefer the pre-built route. But looking at this price, I don't think I could get it for cheaper even if I were to buy all components separately. In fact throwing together a similar build on PC Parts Picker has this in the $1850-1900 range. Any red flags here?

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
Wading in with a pedestrian question because it's regarding a pre-built, but... this seems like a pretty amazing deal from Lenovo, right? https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/desk...rs/legion-tower-5-gen-8-(26l,-amd)/90ux0013us

4070 Ti Super / AMD 7700 / 32GB RAM / 1TB SSD for ~$1600... the only thing that looks off is maybe RAM is a bit slow? I've been out of the PC game for ~10 years but am looking to get back into it, and just prefer the pre-built route. But looking at this price, I don't think I could get it for cheaper even if I were to buy all components separately. In fact throwing together a similar build on PC Parts Picker has this in the $1850-1900 range. Any red flags here?
Value is +- 1500 dollars.
The main drawback is probably the motherboard. Lenovo uses a proprietary board with a very limited bios iirc. Ram is pretty slow as well (5200mhz). The board might not even support XMP/ram overclocking at all.

I guess it's an okay deal if you just want a functional prebuilt, but you can build something better with this money.

MajorTomCL

Oct 25, 2017
Should I buy a 4070 Ti Super or wait for the 5000 series to be announced? GPUs are pretty expensive in my country, but I saw a good deal on Amazon, and with the low dollar prices these past few days, I'm really tempted. What should I do? (I have an RTX 3070, + AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D + 32 GB of RAM @3200 combo).

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I could use some advice if someone is willing to take the time out to look at my problem.

I bought this.

A few weeks later I added 16GB of this memory.

The memory that came with the prebuilt ran at 3200. After installing the new memory, my memory speed is 2133.

Any suggestions?
Did you check the XMP profile in BIOS? The system probably reset it to default when it detected the new memory.

Oct 29, 2017
I could use some advice if someone is willing to take the time out to look at my problem.

I bought this.

A few weeks later I added 16GB of this memory.

The memory that came with the prebuilt ran at 3200. After installing the new memory, my memory speed is 2133.

Any suggestions?
You have to go into the BIOS and enable X.M.P. When the computer restarts press the "del" key while it boots.

On an Asus BIOS it should be in the first screen you see
image.png

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Value is +- 1500 dollars.
The main drawback is probably the motherboard. Lenovo uses a proprietary board with a very limited bios iirc. Ram is pretty slow as well (5200mhz). The board might not even support XMP/ram overclocking at all.

I guess it's an okay deal if you just want a functional prebuilt, but you can build something better with this money.
Super helpful, thanks for the feedback and for pulling the comparable parts… had a hard time backing into it perfectly. Will mull it over! The drawbacks make sense and are something I'm probably fine living with.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
100% gaming 0% work on my windows PC perspective:

I've had fewer issues with 11 than I had with 10, and gaming wise 11 improves a lot of things like HDR. That said, I deliberately went with Windows 11 Pro so that I could defer feature updates for a year (so by the time any major changes get to me it's not breaking any games, they've already had a year to patch) and use group policy to disable a lot of the intrusive crap in Home (copilot, telemetry, all the news and trending junk in the start menu, etc). Home is a strictly worse experience imo, I think that's where a lot of the complaints come from.

BackLogJoe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Last edited: