• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ghost305

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
Because AAA doesn't end there? So, would it have been better if there were no new FPS? Even with the new FPS there are other genres that got new games.

No, it would've been better if the AAA-budget spotlight wasn't filled with literally nothing but shooters.

I know a lot of people are disagreeing with the OP here, but he has a point. There are large gaps within certain genres. Examples:

where are all the arcade racers? Remember when we had so many to choose from -- Burnout, NFS, PGR, Rallisport Challenge, Ridge Racer, Flatout, F-Zero, WipEout and so many more of course.

extreme sports games? We have... Steep, and... uh... a few indie games that don't hit the mark of the 2000s peak.
- no SSX, 1080, Amped, Wave Race, NBA AND NFL Street, NFL Blitza MX/ATV games (to be fair, this series still exists), Tony Hawk, BMX, the list goes on.

hell, lack of competition in the sports genre in general

character action games? We have Bayonetta and DMC has only just come back. Outside of those two, we only get Action RPG hybrids like Nier and Nioh these days.

3D Platformers? Better now because of indies, but still not close to late 90s/early 2000s

RTS? Don't really follow this genre as much, but how is it looking these days?
Sims? Same as above. Seems like only Cities: Skylines is around

So yes, there is more variety now in a certain capacity, but if you think every genre is doing better than ever then I honestly think you're mistaken.

This is a great post.

The fact that people say 'just play more indies' is exactly the point that's being missed. More genres used to be represented more or less equally in the AAA capacity. But now, as AAA-budget games become higher, the more those games will begin to resemble shooters.

This 'there's more variety now' argument is completely bogus.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I know a lot of people are disagreeing with the OP here, but he has a point. There are large gaps within certain genres. Examples:

where are all the arcade racers? Remember when we had so many to choose from -- Burnout, NFS, PGR, Rallisport Challenge, Ridge Racer, Flatout, F-Zero, WipEout and so many more of course.

extreme sports games? We have... Steep, and... uh... a few indie games that don't hit the mark of the 2000s peak.
- no SSX, 1080, Amped, Wave Race, NBA AND NFL Street, NFL Blitza MX/ATV games (to be fair, this series still exists), Tony Hawk, BMX, the list goes on.

hell, lack of competition in the sports genre in general

character action games? We have Bayonetta and DMC has only just come back. Outside of those two, we only get Action RPG hybrids like Nier and Nioh these days.

3D Platformers? Better now because of indies, but still not close to late 90s/early 2000s

RTS? Don't really follow this genre as much, but how is it looking these days?
Sims? Same as above. Seems like only Cities: Skylines is around

So yes, there is more variety now in a certain capacity, but if you think every genre is doing better than ever then I honestly think you're mistaken.

Steep is not SSX. It doesn't really serve as a replacement.
Off the top of my head:

Extreme Sports: Dunk Lords, NBA Playgrounds 1/2, Mutant League Football, Disc Jam, Wreckfest, Onrush, Session, Rocket League, Ridiculous Rugby

Strategy: Frozen Synapse 2, Decoherence, Re-legion, Frostpunk, Titans of Industry, Wargame, Ashes of the Singularity, Airmech, Wargroove

Extreme sports strategy: Frozen Cortex, Blood Bowl 1/2, Laser League, Regular Human Basketball

Last edited:

Wozman23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pico Rivera, CA
I've always posited that with the AAA industry, we've seen a reduction of genres because of exponentially expanding budgets. In previous generations games could be made for far less, and because of that could appeal to a smaller number of people yet still break even or turn a profit. Now every game is massive and needs to sell millions upon millions of units just to get by. Because of that, developers and publishers have to appeal to the masses and the lowest common denominator.

We saw the start of this last gen with tacked on multiplayer. So many games added multiplayer components in an attempt to appeal to more people. This gen, every game feels like it needs to be a 20-60 hour Action/Adventure/Open World/RPG. If games don't follow that format, they're probably going to fail and studios will be shuttered. I don't think we've seen the worst yet. I think the only thing that will make the industry course correct is another crash, but the industry may be too big to fail at this point. It'll probably just continue to hemorrhage talent and creativity.

I would say overall that there is more variety today, but that is only because of the birth of indie games. That's were a lot of the truly creative works are coming from.

In these last two months I've played Spider-Man, the typical AAA product, as well as:
  • an artsy game about moving around a hole (Donut County)
  • a 2 wildly different cinematic sidescrollers (Far: Lone Sails and PLANET ALPHA)
  • an comedic adventure game (Flipping Death)
  • a Metroidvania (Guacamelee! 2)
  • two puzzle platformers (The Rabbit and the Owl and DYO)
This has never been more apparent than it has with Sony recently. Sure we have one-offs like Dreams and Concrete Genie, but most of the hype surrounds the larger, often open world games with far larger scopes than of previous generations. I did love Horizon Zero Dawn. I liked God of War, but also missed the the old style of the games. I platinumed Spider-Man, and enjoyed it, but it didn't really do anything unexpected. After loving the Uncharted trilogy, Uncharted 4 was extremely underwhelming. So for those reasons and more, I'm not all that optimistic about upcoming AAA games like Days Gone and The Last of Us: Part II.

I'd love to see other genres back in the AAA limelight - more 3D platformers, arcades titles in the racing and sports genres, pure arcade titles like Nex Machina, Resogun, and Velocity franchise, hack and slash, action RPGs like Dark Cloud. I'd love to see Sony bring their own indie branch back to put out new games from promising new developers that are equally as great as Journey, The Unfinished Swan, and Sound Shapes.

Until then, I'll continue to focus primarily on indies to give me what I want.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I have the exact opposite opinion as the OP. If anything theres TOO MUCH variety because I am only one person and cant play all these damn games. We are even better off than the PS2 days imo, since digital has helped the little guys and leveled the playing field with publishers to an extent.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As others have said, never been better variety and some more niche genres like tactical rpgs, crpgs etc have had a resurgence.

You seem to be seeing the patterns you want to see and they're pretty wide of the mark.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP didn't evem mention character action games. Or fighting games. Or a plethora of other genres.
Bayo 3 comes out most likely next year as well.
P5, Xenoblade 2, FFXV, DQ XI and Octopath are all perceived by most people to be JRPGs of quality so...
Cool story bro. You didn't read my post correctly. I said last gen.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is why I pretty much went PC only, consoles are always trying to sell you the big ticket items and that is where the problem lies. The AAA market simply is not sustainable which is why there are too many samey type of games with the emphasis mostly on graphics.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I wouldn't agree completely here, cause I can see what the OP means, I personally thinks we're in a huge copycat generation where everyone just does what is the latest trend and what is highly successful. But yeah, we also have a huge variety on smaller budged games, like never before.

Nah, all in all, we have too few copycats for successful indie games like Factorio (which is getting a copycat in the near future), Rimworld, X3, Paradox-like games, Stardew Valley, ECO, etc.

There is a massive amount of variety in the PV space, but it feels like 80% is 3D Platformer.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
No, it would've been better if the AAA-budget spotlight wasn't filled with literally nothing but shooters.

This is a great post.

The fact that people say 'just play more indies' is exactly the point that's being missed. More genres used to be represented more or less equally in the AAA capacity. But now, as AAA-budget games become higher, the more those games will begin to resemble shooters.

....But it's not filled with nothing but shooters....

Even if you omit indies, AAA isn't all shooters.

Unless you count any game with guns shooters.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

This is a great post.

Because there is no reason for a 100 Million $ budget City Builder, RTS, 4X, Skateboarder, etc.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Honestly for me I can't keep up with all the great stuff coming out. Shit is so different. I went from playing Yakuza 0 to shit like Straimium immortaly, FF15, and Ace Attorney 6. All in the span of a few months!

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Spider-Man
Smash Bros.
Forza Horizon 4
Assassin's Creed Odissey
Monster Hunter World
Shadow of the Colossus
Civilization VI
Dragon Quest Builders
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Sea of Thieves
Yakuza 6
God of War
Pillars of Eternity 2
Detroit: Become Human
Onrush
Vampyr
The Crew 2
Yakuza Kiwami 2
Dragon Quest XI
Valkyria Chronicles 4
Life is Strange 2
Ride 3
Hitman 2
Darksiders 3
Artifact

From this year alone. I removed every shooter and anything that could't be considered AAA/big AA.

nycgamer4ever

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This thread is so wrong ot must be a parody thread. I think this gen has been one of the best in regards to variety so far.

Nov 1, 2017
Sonic Mania took decades to get it 'right' as classics.

Freedom Planet is a great Sega 'blue sky' game.

Shantae games exists. It's never been more varied in genre.

Experimentations are everywhere.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
You can't be more wrong. Variety has never been stronger. Expand the places where you search for games. ;)

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I don't agree OP, maybe you should give a break of AAA gaming.

The Talos Principle, Danganronpa, Night In The Woods, West of Loathing, Surgeon Simulator... all amazing and different games.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP is right. Compare the PS2 catalogue to the PS4 catalogue.

He's wrong. Compare the Xbox One catalogue with the OG Xbox.

He's still wrong. Compare the Switch catalogue with the NES catalog.

He's all kinds of wrong. Compare the PC catalogue in 2018 with the PC catalogue in any other year.

And i'll do you one better. Even using your example, he's still wrong.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only part I can really agree with OP on is that there are a few genres which were popular in the 90's/ early 2000's that have declined significantly. The arcade racing genre and extreme sports genres have absolutely declined, for example. Outside of those few genres, there is more variety than ever.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Genres I feel are lacking in quantity or quality are :

Fitness games like Wii Fit
Wii sports type games (although this genre seems to be more and more represented on Switch)
Real Time Strategy games
Quality Brawlers like Final Fight
Quality strategy rpg's
Simumations like Cities Skylines
Point and click advanture games
Baldurs gate type rpg's
Stealth focused games (my favorite genre)
Zelda like or Prince if Persia type action advantures

I feel these genres lack either quantity and/or quality. There are gems in every genre these days but a lot of genre's are not fully supported by the game industry. There's a lack of uniqueness.

Id also like to see game designers come up with new genre's altogether.

But anyway its not as bad as it all seems. Indies are getting better at their craft and a there are a lot of them these days.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Genres I feel are lacking in quantity or quality are :

Fitness games like Wii Fit
Wii sports type games (although this genre seems to be more and more represented on Switch)
Real Time Strategy games
Quality Brawlers like Final Fight
Quality strategy rpg's
Simumations like Cities Skylines
Point and click advanture games
Baldurs gate type rpg's
Stealth focused games (my favorite genre)
Zelda like or Prince if Persia type action advantures

I feel these genres lack either quantity and/or quality. There are gems in every genre these days but a lot of genre's are not fully supported by the game industry. There's a lack of uniqueness.

Id also like to see game designers come up with new genre's altogether.

But anyway its not as bad as it all seems. Indies are getting better at their craft and a there are a lot of them these days.
How can you say there's a lack of Baldur's Gate style RPGs when the CRPG has been thriving over the last few years?

Also the last few years has given us Hitman, Shadow Tactics, Invisible Inc, Dishonored 2 and Death of the Outsider, Seven, Styx, etc

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
How can you say there's a lack of Baldur's Gate style RPGs when the CRPG has been thriving over the last few years?

Also the last few years has given us Hitman, Shadow Tactics, Invisible Inc, Dishonored 2 and Death of the Outsider, Seven, Styx, etc
Well, the anwer is in my post. I feel there is a lack in representation of certain genre's. You can name me examples of games release over the last few years, but as gamer I want more, its that simple. Some genre's are just not as heavily supported as others, as the OP suggests.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Well, the anwer is in my post. I feel there is a lack in representation of certain genre's. You can name me examples of games release over the last few years, but as gamer I want more, its that simple. Some genre's are just not as heavily supported as others, as the OP suggests.
And myriad great point-n-clicks have been releasing every year...

I don't understand how you can look at what's been releasing and say there's a lack of quality or quantity. It's kind of baffling

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
And myriad great point-n-clicks have been releasing every year...

I don't understand how you can look at what's been releasing and say there's a lack of quality or quantity. It's kind of baffling
I feel these genre's are under represented and I dont like gaming on a PC so that makes my view of things limited to the console space. I follow all releases made in that space so I know what's out there.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
If you're just looking at mega budget AAA games, then sure there'll be a lot of genre overlap, but If you think we lack a variety of games, you just aren't looking hard enough.
The quality is also exceptional, I have so many all-time favourites from this gen and so much I want to play

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nah, last gen was much worse. Everyone was trying to make the next Halo, QTEs everywhere, and Japan was struggling with the growing pains of switching to HD development.

I would argue there might be even more variety than ever right now.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Eh just seems like you don't like the current trends not that I don't relate to some degree given that the couple years where everyone was trying to make the next cod were pretty bleh to me.

Oct 27, 2017
Just personally, I barely play any mainstream titles/genres outside of Nintendo's stuff and I've given up trying to keep up with new releases--there's just too many games. The only genre I like that's mostly dead is arcade racing games, but hell, they just announced Virtua Racing for Switch, there's a new Daytona game in arcades and there's a new Ridge Racer game rumored as well.

Oct 29, 2017
Sure one can ask "where are the RTS?"
this gen. But it is not like previous gens had healthy genres all around, where were the CRPGs circa 2004? Where were the JRPGs in 2009?

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what is sillier in OP. Shitting on indie platformers as if they hold no water to Mario games (even though many agree a game like Celeste is one of the best platformers ever created, Nintendo production values or not) or thinking there is no indie/alternative music that rivals or even exceeds "classics". Obviously the OP can't look beyond his own blinding nostalgia goggles and biases.

Apr 21, 2018
I can somewhat agree with the OP.

Simply not enough jetski/water-racing games. There was a time when there were tons of these. Hydro Thunder, Waverace 64 and Blue Storm, Jet Motto 1-3, Splashdown, Diddy Kong Racing, Blood wake!

Where the hell is this genre now? *shakes fist in the air*

Timewarp

Oct 27, 2017
My take-away from the OP is he actually is jaded with the medium, and/or overly preoccupied with new-hotness hyped releases. Instead of listing the genres you are tired of, why not list the kinds of games you would like to see. I bet something exists that would scratch that itch.

Ossom

Oct 31, 2017
I feel like there is lots of variety.

Unless I missed it in the OP, you don't seem to state what genres you thought there were in the past that have disappeared.