Status
Not open for further replies.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
lol

Who do we think leaked these? FTC side since things weren't going well? Xbox for the "we planned to keep everything multi" stuff? Someone felt like they needed the court of public opinion this week.

This is wild. Amazing. And wild.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Looks like Tom Warren missed the console & PC top candidates for consideration list.
KOrt2qr.png
What's more interesting to me they knew sony was gonna get housemarque based on that email they knew at least a month before.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
I sure love how MS considering various options is taken as if they entered in negotiation with these companies. I'm sure if we go back even more in time we'll see many other studios that they cogitated which resulted in the 2018 and 2019 acquisitions.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
The vast difference with 'Sony's strategy' is that the ability to pursue it economically is largely a function of market performance. That is: the audience, the market, and its shifts have a large hand in the play of things. There's no permanence guaranteed, a vendor has to stay on its toes and can't use these deals as any long term defense against the consequences of fucking over the market.

Consolidation is a totally different beast in this regard. Short term it may look the same, long term the effect on competitive incentives are totally different. Anyone with an issue with temporary deals should have 10x the issue with outright purchase of content at scale, IMO.
There is always this weird fascination with how Sony doing these deals is better than anything else. I think that people are generally being dishonest.

Sony wanted to get to a position where they got back to the dominance that they had in the PS and PS2 generation. Get enough stuff that matters, dominate the industry and eventually get to a scenario where games are on your platform and it is very easy for developers to skip other platforms because they cannot imagine that there is some viability in struggling to put projects on other platforms.

It is essentially looking at the same thing at a different lens. Microsoft got bored of that shit, and there was a time when people that were gaming on Xbox stated that there needed to be a shift in how Microsoft approached the gaming business if they were to go on and have a viable product.

They eventually came to play, and I do not think that that is a negative for the industry.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry i was just a little bit annoyed with the streaming comment lol cuz for 3rd world countries streaming is actually less accessible than even regular digital content but yet people bring up streaming as if itll bring gaming to the masses when currently its way more restrictive. Sure maybe in the US but not south of it
Can you believe it took only till last year for spotify to even release where i live? Its like companies are even more stingy with where their content goes the moment streaming is the distribution platform smh. And i speak the same English the US and UK speak so its not like there is even an extra cost of translation needed.
It's all good, I'm trying to downplay that at all. I get that these services have a long way to go. Was just a factor in the overall picture I was painting, that gaming accessibility is growing and not shrinking. That Spotify bit sucks big time too (I'm happy you have access now), though as a fan of Rock Band, I've heard nothing fun about trying to license music and how weird some music rights holders can be so I'm certainly not surprised.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
All of the companies involved in the market participate in the same capitalistic system. As if Sony's goal was to not have the same amount of money MS has or more. It's a pipedream to think that anytime soon they would achieve this but if we were having the discussion about how capitalism ruins everything than the intentions of everyone involved would be relevant and not just MS. It would be great if the system was different but it's not. In this context MS is in no power position and there is no guarantee that the use of their money will change that. In the context of these conditions we should also be pushing for Xbox to have market share closer to its competitors.
Cool, except Sony doesn't have the same amount of money and the same amount of power Microsoft has and it's high time people stopped comparing the two, as there are hardly any companies that can compete with Microsoft on that front. Sony and their investors would want it be as big as Microsoft but they are far from achieving the same level if ever.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Cool, except Sony doesn't have the same amount of money and the same amount of power Microsoft has and it's high time people stopped comparing the two, as there are hardly any companies that can compete with Microsoft on that front.
What Sony doesn't have in money, they have in global market share and being ingrained into many regions. Somethings money simply can't buy.

Jmanunknown

Oct 26, 2017
Activision deal is larger than like the 2nd through 20th biggest gaming deals combined. Everything else has been a drop in the bucket compared to the scale of this deal

Yeah I don't think people get just how massive the Activision acquisition deal is. It is literally in the same ballpark as the Disney acquisition of Fox which was 71 billion this is a 68 billion dollar deal.

Holmes

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well that would've led to the death of Persona, LaD and SMT so good that it didn't happen.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Is it just me or is this document not that crazy? I have to imagine every company has a list of merger opportunities and companies to keep eyes on? They literally have M&A teams dedicated to this. I don't know if this is evidence of Microsoft wanting to acquire the entire industry tbh.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
lol

Who do we think leaked these? FTC side since things weren't going well? Xbox for the "we planned to keep everything multi" stuff? Someone felt like they needed the court of public opinion this week.

This is wild. Amazing. And wild.
These aren't leaked. They're in the evidence folder that both sides upload evidence to.

The judge has already seen them, why would the FTC side "leak" emails that have no effect on the remainder of the injunction argument?

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
What Sony doesn't have in money, they have in global market share and being ingrained into many regions. Somethings money simply can't buy.
Oh, you could buy that if you wanted to, but Microsoft doesn't bother in many regions Sony started to bother back in the PS3 days. If your flagship gaming product isn't available in the whole EU or SEA but your competitor is, then it's not fucking magic. Microsoft had years to expand into those markets. Sony's market share over the world didn't appear out of nowhere.

AppleMIX

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Well that would've led to the death of Persona, LaD and SMT so good that it didn't happen.

Yes, those franchise would be so dead by releasing on basically every platform and gamepass.

Is it just me or is this document not that crazy? I have to imagine every company has a list of merger opportunities and companies to keep eyes on? They literally have M&A teams dedicated to this. I don't know if this is evidence of Microsoft wanting to acquire the entire industry tbh.

Wouldn't supprise me. I imagine talks about acquisitions happen all the time. We just don't see it happen.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
These aren't leaked. They're in the evidence folder that both sides upload evidence to.

The judge has already seen them, why would the FTC side "leak" emails that have no effect on the remainder of the injunction argument?
Like I said, court of public opinion.

So, how did Tom get them? Aren't these supposed to be redacted? Or are they not actual leaks and we could have gotten this info all along?

rubidium

Oct 25, 2017
I know no company is an angel but this is one thing Sony can be appreciated with (in which MS isn't interested as Sony because of ROI). If MS reverse the trend and becomes dominant I'd wonder what would happen to those regions..

Daramir

Jan 20, 2022
Germany
Is it just me or is this document not that crazy? I have to imagine every company has a list of merger opportunities and companies to keep eyes on? They literally have M&A teams dedicated to this.
Its not, considering Sony bought Bungie and recently talked about buying more companies, its fair to assume a lot of big firms in any business have lists of potential companies that seem worth investing in like this.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Oh, you could buy that if you wanted to, but Microsoft doesn't bother in many regions Sony started to bother back in the PS3 days. If your flagship gaming product isn't available in the whole EU or SEA but your competitor is, then it's not fucking magic. Microsoft had years to expand into those markets.
You can? Then why aren't Amazon Luna or Google Stadia booming right now? Why hasn't Apple invested into gaming and used their massive wealth to just dominate the industry?

It's a very tough industry to get into because the incumbents are already ingrained into gaming culture and you simply just can't spend your money into gaining mass marketshare. Literally the only time Xbox looked somewhat competitive is when Sony shot themselves in the foot and even then Sony still won that gen worldwide.

Stibbs

Feb 8, 2023
The 518
drama aside those acquisition lists are fucking fascinating, its genuinely just like a sports team scouting prospects, its really cool

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
This thread has been locked to review a large number of reports

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
This thread will remain locked. We have been pretty consistent that anything acquisition related is to be posted in the OT, so will be pointing people there if they wish to discuss anything that is revealed as a process of this merger. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.