Status
Not open for further replies.

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
It's really no surprise that most major companies have been looked at and considered. It's still very important that this list was before they went for ABK.

May I ask, why? I just don't see it, or if this is the case, then almost any company is a perfect fit for MS.

Like we would actually have any idea what happened, in terms of e.g. MS backing off because of the price etc.

Shores up a lot of their portfolio holes. Strong Japanese presence, European PC devs, family friendly IP and catalog.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of Sega's franchise are on Game Pass now. Microsoft knows how well they do there so they'll probably spin back around if the numbers work.

I'm not sure "delayed ports of Sega games do kinda okay on game pass" justifies those franchises permanently losing revenue streams from Nintendo and Sony customers.

Matt Booty's "spend Sony out of business" email in full
OP
OP
vixolus

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
BCLJI9I.png

Additional context to that makes it seem like insidious (imo)

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
These two were the one's I always considered the most likely around that time. SEGA has the Japanese content and PC strategy capabilities. The Xbox-SEGA relationship is still strong as is. What surprises me is that this leaked.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
They only reason I would want Microsoft to buy Sega would be if they put their bc team on Sega's old catalog. Sega is not doing anything with it besides releasing Genesis collections every few years. Imagine gamepass having Saturn and Dreamcast games. That would be amazing.

Otherwise Sega should say independent

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No surprise Microsoft would be interested in buying Sega though my gut says that Sammy wouldn't want to operate alone, even with the cash infusion that the process would give them, especially when approached in the midst of the pandemic.

I am a little surprised Booty actually wrote that quote about putting Sony out of business. You'd think all the Microsoft execs would know better than to put that into writing. Embrace, extend, and extinguish and all that.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
The amount of mental gymnastics people go in this forum to say this is not true is a sight to behold tbh
The most bizarre thing is that when it comes to any other industry it's "fuck this", "cyberpunk utopia", "corporations have too much power", "govt needs to break up tech companies", etc, but when it comes to video games, it's "does this mean that Diablo 4 comes to Gamepass?".

Corporations of any kind getting bigger and more powerful in general is bad and should be stopped. Our governments won't recognize it until it's too late. Not like our corporate bought politicians care at all either.

Oct 31, 2017
User warned: Trolling

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure "delayed ports of Sega games do kinda okay on game pass" justifies those franchises permanently losing revenue streams from Nintendo and Sony customers.

Sure, but they've two Atlus games coming out day one. Granted their not the big guns but they probably have the data to see how well a Day One game does relative to something coming to Game Pass later.

I also don't think they'd go exclusive with the Sega stuff for the short-medium term at least. Wouldn't make business sense as you say.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
Why would a publisher with IPs with big appeal / sales ratio in Japan want to be Xbox (and PC) exclusive when the main platforms in Japan are whatever Nintendo and Sony are currently on?

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Unless they keep games mult-platform, Sega being bought out by Microsoft would effectively kill off the company in Japan. Sega doesn't exactly like up the charts a ton as is and they're locked to Xbox, that's it.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What does "correct the timeline" even mean? Sega isn't Nintendo or Sony's enemy anymore and they shouldn't be.
and they probably wouldnt be because ms making all their titles exclusive would just lose too much money without any real franchises that create leverage. but that'd still be up in the air and for debate.

And anyway it means we lost so much going into 7th gen after Sega's initial years as a third party. They're doing great, but their output lacks variety. It'd be nice to see them funded and without worry, putting out titles like a confident first party again. Back on track to the future promised to us by Zenon, girl of the 21st century. The y2k we were robbed of...

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
It's really amazing that some extreme corporate users on this board talk about Spencer like he's a drinking buddy, calling him by his first name, and thinking that somehow what they're doing is bettering the industry when they're ready to spend a competitor out of business.
Yup.

You'd have to be a fool to not already see this was Microsoft's goal. Unfortunately there are a lot of fools who somehow bought into the ludicrous notion of Microsoft being a plucky underdog.
This.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Damn we were close to all the rumors of Sega being true

If they do go after Sega after it would definitely be interesting, albeit I would expect another 2 years of courts and competitive boards 💀

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
As part of the FTC PI trial, we've found that this is Sony's strategy, too. So, which came first and does it really matter? Both companies are going for the jugular.

oh absolutely. Every major company wants to put their competitors out of business. Anyone who say they aren't is lying.

It's just been galling over the years to hear people say that Microsoft(of all companies!) was this benevolent industry force for good.

Dega

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it still likely doesn't mean much. It's an e-mail from 2019 from someone that probably doesn't have much say in how and where the money is spent. I'm sure if it was significant then the FTC and CMA would have brought it up too.
Yup and Booty already testified about this email too I think? This isnt anything new to the Judge or Regulators or even this site lol

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
We've all seen enough of Microsoft's strategy with acquisitions to know exactly how it's going to go - occasional token support thrown to Sony and Nintendo for games that have long-tail revenue streams to exploit, while everything else that's new is 100% exclusive to XB/PC. They keep doing this and people keep pretending they don't.

What does "correct the timeline" even mean? Sega isn't Nintendo or Sony's enemy anymore and they shouldn't be.
If Xbox spent a billion dollars to lock up every sega release for the next decade as an exclusive would it be any better?

Because locking up long term franchises does seem to be a viable strategy that many don't seem to mind but actually putting a ring on the company and fully committing is evil?

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
and they probably wouldnt be because ms making all their titles exclusive would just lose too much money without any real franchises that create leverage. but that'd still be up in the air and for debate.

And anyway it means we lost so much going into 7th gen after Sega's initial years as a third party. They're doing great, but their output lacks variety. It'd be nice to see them funded and without worry, putting out titles like a confident first party again. Back on track to the future promised to us by Zenon, girl of the 21st century. The y2k we were robbed of...
MS doesn't want to buy Sega so they can make new things.

They want to force people to buy an Xbox in order to play Sonic, LAD, and Persona.

Helmhold

Dec 7, 2022
Funny that thst email mentions a 10 year look ahead on losing cash while signing all these loss-leader 10 yeae contracts.

But of course according to MS their strategy has "changed" ::BIGWINK

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but they've two Atlus games coming out day one. Granted their not the big guns but they probably have the data to see how well a Day One game does relative to something coming to Game Pass later.

I also don't think they'd go exclusive with the Sega stuff for the short-medium term at least. Wouldn't make business sense as you say.
They're exclusive on Game Pass because they generate next to no revenue on the platform, making it a net positive for Sega. That's a completely different situation to having to offset Nintendo and Sony's revenue stream

Status
Not open for further replies.