Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
After they're done with ABK, I still think they're going after Sega. I can already see this image popping up in a random tuesday

images

I love that this image has, of all things, Valkyria Chronicles front and centre and Sonic is nowhere to be seen.

Bláthanna

Feb 15, 2023
Ireland
I think the difference is in scale. I doubt Sony or Nintendo could afford the big companies MS is focusing on. I mean hell Xbox's M&A budget is probably more then Sony's and Nintendo's value.
Sony and Nintendo could definitely afford companies in the Bethesda price range but ABK is definitely a beast that only Microsoft really has the money for. The sheer difference in scale between that acquisition and any other deal in the video game industry is simply insane.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
If the price is right I'd assume they'll go for Sega after they are done one way or the other with ABK. All the regulators just said they don't consider Sega a major publisher so it'd fly through easily.

sedael

Oct 16, 2020
It's very funny how many people in this thread clearly didn't click the article to see these discussions were ~2020, pre activision lol

AnimeAvatar

Apr 28, 2021
Idk, maybe it's just me, but one of the top 3 richest companies in the world purchasing one of the bigger western publishers in Bethesda, attempting to purchase the biggest 3rd party publisher in Activision, while also putting out feelers for other big publishers/developers like Sega or Bungie is a bad thing!

But... but.. but... I can play all these games day one for as little as couple bucks though XB Gold loophole. This is a no brainer! /s
How anybody can see how streaming has completely fucked up the film/television industry almost irreparably and think copying that model for video games can in anyway be a good thing is beyond me but we're gonna find out!

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Microsoft isn't able to acquire any more PC-focused developers. I do not want the Xbox app getting more prominence by way of Microsoft just buying more developers to put games on it.
I don't want the PC gaming landscape to turn into console-war style exclusivity and service nonsense, I want to see what comes when someone other than Valve actually tries to make something that is worth using.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I though MS considering acquiring Bungie was known. But they balked at the price, and so Sony got them instead.
I seriously doubt MS of all companies would bulk at the price considering their acquisition history. Bungie for 2.4 billion is not that big of a premium.
So they just wanted to acquire EVERYONE at some point.
Nothing says in there they're no longer considering it. The FTC and the CMA blocking the AB deal probably put a big hold on their plans until that deal passes.
I think if they acquired Sega every game would be multi platform.
BGS games sell more than all of sega games do in a year and they made that ecxlusive. If they acquire Sega there's a 99% change that shit will be exclusive.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Uh... Who's cheerleading?

Pretty sure everyone sees this for what it is- potentially really bad for the industry.

We clearly haven't been reading the same thread

Xbox and Sony needs to gtfo with their acquisitions

Sega being locked to a console that's not their own would be a travesty, 100%

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I really don't want MS to have SEGA but I guess they are still on their sights

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Honestly speaking, if it meant revising a lot of SEGA's IPs with Microsoft's big well of funding, I would be down for the purchase.

I mean, what are we getting out of SAMMY? Pachinko and more pachinko.

Oct 25, 2017
Uh... Who's cheerleading?

Pretty sure everyone sees this for what it is- potentially really bad for the industry.

Didn't mean to imply it's happening right now in this thread, but Twitter elsewhere on the site, etc. There is literally a XBOX x SEGA "Welcome to the family" style banner posted in the thread (not saying the person who posted here made it, I've scene it and other like it before) that someone made because they wanted it to happen so much.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
They only wanted to buy Zynga so they could kick Mattrick out.
They should just do that. Acquire every company where Mattrick lands a job, just to fire him.

(Mattrick hasn't been at Zynga for a while, I think)

(I'm kidding)

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
I am going to expect more consolidation in this economy. It's happening with more and more corps.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of Sega's franchise are on Game Pass now. Microsoft knows how well they do there so they'll probably spin back around if the numbers work.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jason Jones selling his company to Microsoft twice would have been a pretty baller move lol.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Took me back to the OG Xbox days when there were a bunch of Sega Xbox games that I bought. I loved some of them, I hated some of them.

Gun Valkyrie, the 2-in-1 combo packs, JSRF, Otogi, Shenmue II...it was a mixed bag for sure.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Not for a long, long while. Whether or not the ABK acquisition goes through, Microsoft will not be in a good place with regulators in pursuing publishers.

For as much as people like to paint it otherwise, Microsoft has had to be extremely mindful to the point of being proactively cooperative after the internet explorer/windows business. Whatever happens with the current deal will once again put them on the back foot, rather than lead to a slippery slope situation.
Wouldn't Activision going through make these smaller publishers a lot easier for them to acquire?

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care about Activision. I care about the long-term health of the industry when every single company is a buyout target, turning games increasingly into a series of miserable walled gardens locking content away inside of them like the absolutely dismal state of streaming services in TV and film.

The industry will die if everybody is expected to own three expensive consoles to have access to games, or to just be locked off to whatever games their favorite console of choice bought away from everyone else.
PC exists where everyone but Nintendo is putting their games, is Nintendo killing the industry? All 3 companies are already putting out exclusive games and has for literally the ENTIRE history of the industry. Unlike things like like Internet Service Providers or phone companies (which are MUCH more essential than video games), the pathway for indie games will never die and new studios will always continue to pop-up. Publishers have died before and new ones have taken their place (THQ -> Embracer). The industry is constantly changing shape and form and will forever.

CarterTax

Oct 25, 2017
If/When Acti purchase goes through they will focus on the next publisher. Maybe EA or T2 as well as a bunch from this E-Mail.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
If the price is right I'd assume they'll go for Sega after they are done one way or the other with ABK. All the regulators just said they don't consider Sega a major publisher so it'd fly through easily.
The only publishers Ms would likely have a problem acquiring are

EA Sports (madden and fifa)
Take 2 (nba2k and gta)

They're the only two with annual games that sell in the ballpark of CoD to be remotely considered essential.

Status
Not open for further replies.