• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We are sadly heading for a no deal Brexit. However, this is what this country needs. Those who voted for it (and I'm not one of them), need to suffer more economic hardship, lost jobs, food shortages etc in order to learn. I know there's a danger that the right will blame Europe for all of it, but it might wake some people out of their beliefs on Britain being an Empire and centre of the world etc. Once this country's ego is totally crushed, we can approach Europe again with a proper view of our place in the world. Anything other than hard Brexit will store up anger that will explode further down the line.

This is pretty stupid even for Era.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
When are people going to get it, IT'S NOT GOING TO BE A LEARNING EXPERIENCE.

Hardship is always, always, twisted by those in power to push their agenda, through nationalistic ideology and scapegoating. It's how we got here in the first place and you're deluded if you're thinking the truth will click with people after brexit, especially when human pride and stubbornness will make Leavers rufuse to acknowledge any fault.

You're exactly right. When people are confronted by evidence that they were wrong they tend to double down. You have been able to feel the narrative shift this way for the last two years, "terrible way the EU has treated us in negotiations", etc.

Micael

Oct 28, 2017
So all the car companies are going to transfer their work to Europe, and a trillion GBP is leaving city of london to get reallocated along with jobs in frankfurt/paris/dublin. I imagine agriculture/fishing is pretty fucked too. Pharma insutry has zero confidence in post brexit.

Is there actually any benefit to any industry because of brexit?

The private health service industry is going to do gangbusters with it brexit, it is an industry that is going to positively explode in the UK considering how if brexit happens NHS privatization is going to be just around the corner.

Oct 27, 2017
London
In response to no deal hardship the Conservatives will morph into a full on far right nationalistic party and blame the EU for people's suffering. They've been going that route for the last 2 years. Things are bleak for this country.

Burpelson

Oct 25, 2017
Theresa May answers questions the same way I bullshit my boss on my performance review, but at least I change the wording a little bit every six months.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
What do you think the outcome will be if you "just cancel" what 17M people voted for?

I agree Brexit is a disaster but there isn't a way to "just cancel it". That is as delusional as the Brexiteers.

Maybe we should have a referendum to ask if we should have a referendum? On the one hand the government take an advisory only vote as though it is bound in blood, but as soon as the question comes about whether we should look again at it, then suddenly they know best and the public shouldn't have a say?

The vote was (a) advisory and (b) close. Considering all the elements that came out after the fact - illegal activities around the leave campaign, plus breaking down the leave voters by what they actually wanted (which we don't know) - its possible the current leave deal isn't what many leave voters wanted - easily to the point where the number that *do* think May's deal is a good one is a potentially tiny minority of voters.

A second referendum now we have had at least some of the cards on the table seems sensible to me.

This whole thing is like watching Death playing chess against you and then he goes 'mate in 3'. You don't know what moves you're going to make but you know you're fucked whatever happens.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure how Grenfell is an example that the government doesn't put London first for investment? From what I recall wasn't the cladding put on because the rich locals considered the building an eyesore?

A better example would be to look at the state of rail network In London and then elsewhere. Heck in my area we still have diesel Pacer tains from the 1980's (Which were based on converted buses and have a number of issues)

Then you find posts like this on this very forum:-

Is it any wonder people feel resentment over London?
You're not wrong. People outside of the cities see shops close, towns die, because the government has failed to spread the wealth. What you would expect is that the government would invest into infrastructure from the wealth gained in London. Wealth that could make comuting from a far off town to London possible. That hasn't happened so people have to move to London and the wealth that should be improving the whole country is kept there.

The cause is lax government policy that does nothing to address this and legalised tax loop holes. In the UK it's not illegal to look for ways not to pay tax, so a lot of companies pay whatever they feel like they should. Then you have the Panama Papers that exposed how the rich put their money where it can't be taxed.

What people in this country are crying out for is an explanation and a way to fix it. The last 4 government and more have been happy to blame the EU for this. Now this is the end result and without something drastic things are just going to stay the same. I honestly think if some left wing populist, outside off the system came along, promising this, they'd probably win.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The idea that you can just "cancel" the referendum without seriously harming the country is silly. As silly as the idea that Brexit won't do serious harm.

What is needed is either a compromise that delivers Brexit with the least amount of damage. Possibly retaining SM and CU membership in some form.

OR

A valid way out of delivering it at all. Which is either via a 2nd referendum OR a General election. Given neither main party will stand against Brexit formally a GE is useless.

Effectively for people like us there are two options - a soft Brexit OR a 2nd referendum.

A soft Brexit guarantees minimum harm - yes people will complain but ultimately it protects the country whilst exiting the EU project. It has downsides of course but it is a guarantee.

A 2nd referendum offers the chance to stay in, but it isn't a guarantee. Is anyone convinced that would be the result?

It is a tough choice for me because I worry a second referendum could deliver an even worse Brexit mandate. The likes of Farage are already starting to hint and being keen on a 2nd vote because it lets them peddle more nonsense and aim at a hard no deal Brexit. On the other hand if we exit into a CU/SM membership state the likes of Farage will still be banging on.

What a choice.....

ManixMiner

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
The Un-united Kingdom
You're not wrong. People outside of the cities see shops close, towns die, because the government has failed to spread the wealth. What you would expect is that the government would invest into infrastructure from the wealth gained in London. Wealth that could make comuting from a far off town to London possible. That hasn't happened so people have to move to London and the wealth that should be improving the whole country is kept there.

The cause is lax government policy that does nothing to address this and legalised tax loop holes. In the UK it's not illegal to look for ways not to pay tax, so a lot of companies pay whatever they feel like they should. Then you have the Panama Papers that exposed how the rich put their money where it can't be taxed.

What people in this country are crying out for is an explanation and a way to fix it. The last 4 government and more have been happy to blame the EU for this. Now this is the end result and without something drastic things are just going to stay the same. I honestly think if some left wing populist, outside off the system came along, promising this, they'd probably win.

This post sums exactly why Brexit is a thing. Failed governments and their failure to invest in areas outside of the metropolitan elite and blaming the EU for 40 years for all the bad things that have happened.

It's true what people say "you reap what you sow" and they've been sowing that discontent for decades.

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
]This post sums exactly why Brexit is a thing. Failed governments and their failure to invest in areas outside of the metropolitan elite and blaming the EU for 40 years for all the bad things that have happened.

It's true what people say when they say "you reap what you sow" and they've been sowing that discontent for decades.

It's true, but the truly crazy thing is that the EU actually helped those areas that have been ignored by the UK gov.

Deleted member 13364

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A question just to see where people generally sit on this. Given these two scenarios, which would people prefer:

1. MPs vote in a series on indicative votes showing there is a majority for a "Norway Plus" deal (or whatever) where we retain a customs union, access to the single market and freedom of movement. May goes back to the EU and it's agreed. It's basically pointless, but causes little to no damage other than losing our say in regulation.

2. We have a second referendum where the options are remain, May's deal and no deal. This puts remain in play, but there is a very real chance we end up with May's deal, losing the chance to to have a 'Brexit in name only' deal

Which do you go for?

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Corbyn is really a terrible terrible politician.

His refusal to talk to May is the story this morning, not her own intransigence, but Corbyn's. That's some going. Costs nothing to talk: write a letter like the SNP, LD, and PC did stating your opening position, go for a behind closed doors meeting, then come up and say "she's not willing to listen, we just got the same tired robotic soundbites and dusty old red lines" and the onus is on her the one who's deal was torpedoed. Corbyn has somehow managed to put the onus on him to drop his demands.

And frankly if you're going to speak to the likes of Hamas without any preconditions, you should be able to have a 10 minute sit down with even a UK PM as odious as May.

Deleted member 13364

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The idea that you can just "cancel" the referendum without seriously harming the country is silly. As silly as the idea that Brexit won't do serious harm.

What is needed is either a compromise that delivers Brexit with the least amount of damage. Possibly retaining SM and CU membership in some form.

OR

A valid way out of delivering it at all. Which is either via a 2nd referendum OR a General election. Given neither main party will stand against Brexit formally a GE is useless.

Effectively for people like us there are two options - a soft Brexit OR a 2nd referendum.

A soft Brexit guarantees minimum harm - yes people will complain but ultimately it protects the country whilst exiting the EU project. It has downsides of course but it is a guarantee.

A 2nd referendum offers the chance to stay in, but it isn't a guarantee. Is anyone convinced that would be the result?

It is a tough choice for me because I worry a second referendum could deliver an even worse Brexit mandate. The likes of Farage are already starting to hint and being keen on a 2nd vote because it lets them peddle more nonsense and aim at a hard no deal Brexit. On the other hand if we exit into a CU/SM membership state the likes of Farage will still be banging on.

What a choice.....
Oh lol, hadn't seen this before I spent too long writing my post on my phone.

Oct 31, 2017
A question just to see where people generally sit on this. Given these two scenarios, which would people prefer:

1. MPs vote in a series on indicative votes showing there is a majority for a "Norway Plus" deal (or whatever) where we retain a customs union, access to the single market and freedom of movement. May goes back to the EU and it's agreed. It's basically pointless, but causes little to no damage other than losing our say in regulation.

2. We have a second referendum where the options are remain, May's deal and no deal. This puts remain in play, but there is a very real chance we end up with May's deal, losing the chance to to have a 'Brexit in name only' deal

Which do you go for?

In that scenario Norway. I can just imagine the press and Brexiteers hyping no deal in a possible second referendum.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
A question for BritishEra: I was watching VIce and caught some footage of pro-Exit Brits arguing with pro-Remain, and those wanting to exit were talking about being ready to "die for their freedoms (sic)". What freedoms, exactly, are they referring to? Are they just the UK's version of the US conservatives that don't actually understand the Constitution or concepts of freedom, just repeating jingoism inspired by nationalism?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
They should never have taken the results of the referendum and acted on them. They should have taken the results and started a cross party consultation period - published a document for industry and others to weigh in on. Get the facts straight and understood before then deciding whether to take the *advisory* input from the public forwards

To paraphrase my mum when I was little : If the referendum said to put your finger in the fire, would you?

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017

His refusal to talk to May is the story this morning, not her own intransigence, but Corbyn's. That's some going. Costs nothing to talk: write a letter like the SNP, LD, and PC did stating your opening position, go for a behind closed doors meeting, then come up and say "she's not willing to listen, we just got the same tired robotic soundbites and dusty old red lines" and the onus is on her the one who's deal was torpedoed. Corbyn has somehow managed to put the onus on him to drop his demands.

And frankly if you're going to speak to the likes of Hamas without any preconditions, you should be able to have a 10 minute sit down with even a UK PM as odious as May.

I still can't believe that anyone buys into this crap. Whatever Corbyn did, you'd have headlines in the usual papers about how bad whatever he did was. He could have fed five thousand people with five loaves and two fishes and the story would be about how he was putting local food companies out of business.

And if you want to know what happens when you enter into good faith negotiations with the Tories, maybe you could ask Nick Clegg.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK

When-Everyone-Going-Out-Minds-He-Like-Guys-Chill.gif

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Indeed. He's as dim as they come.

Last night he simply needed to do what Cable did. Politely accept. Meet. Explain his position. Then write a clear public letter explaining it.

The man is utterly dreadful. I was hopeful with Corbyn up until this year when it is clear his aim is for the Tories to engineer a hard Brexit take us out and hope he can profit from the mess that ensues.

Corbyn should resign.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
All about Corbyn today, I know some of you think he did not have to go, I disagree he did have to go, even to make his red lines formal, and tbh what he asked of May she can not do without changing the bill that past parliament.

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like at least Hammond is on the same page as Corbyn

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ked-phone-call-business-leaders-a8731891.html

Philip Hammond has told business leaders that a no-deal Brexit could be "taken off the table" in a conference call where he raised the possibility of delaying Britain's exit from the EU.

Hours after Theresa May suffered a historic Commons defeat over Brexit deal, Mr Hammond sought to reassure bosses of top firms that a disorderly exit from the bloc would be avoided.

In comments that will enrage Brexiteers, the chancellor raised the prospect that article 50 be revoked and the government was looking at "whether we can somehow take the option of no deal off the table", according to a leaked transcript of the conference call

He told the 11 business leaders that the EU would not consider extending article 50 "unless or until we have a clear plan to go forward" and the "large majority" in the commons are opposed to a no-deal "in any circumstances".

Mr Hammond also pointed to controversial backbench bid led by Tory MP Nick Boles, which aims to force the government to extend Article 50 if a Brexit deal cannot be reached, according to The Telegraph.

"What this group of backbenchers has been doing is seeking to find a mechanism by which the House of Commons can express that view in a way which is binding and effective," he said.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017

Which do you go for?
I think it's been pointed out before you couldn't have a referendum with those 3 questions as it would be loaded in favor of 'Remain'. There are people who want a hard Brexit and there are those who do want Brexit but with a deal. So you're taking all the Brexit voters and splitting them in twain. People would call foul if they tried that.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017

It takes quite an effort for May to go from being humiliated with the biggest parliamentary defeat by a PM for almost a century to being shown as providing initiative. But Corbyn did it. That's pretty impressive.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
An awful lot of comments on Twitter along the lines of 'I don't like Gove but wow what a speech! Future PM material!'. In fact i've read it so much it's strange. I guess that's the hive mind opinion today. I thought it was typical Tory bullshit but with more theatrics than usual. He paced about a bit and got all hot and bothered.

If that snivelling little shit is ever PM i'm out of here and done.

I will put my hands up, I said it right in here when he was making it, I thought it was a brutal speech, which decimated Corbyn. He is hated in here and elsewhere for good reason, but rarely have I seen a speech made to get such a response from all sides of the house, but that is just my opinion

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
A question for BritishEra: I was watching VIce and caught some footage of pro-Exit Brits arguing with pro-Remain, and those wanting to exit were talking about being ready to "die for their freedoms (sic)". What freedoms, exactly, are they referring to? Are they just the UK's version of the US conservatives that don't actually understand the Constitution or concepts of freedom, just repeating jingoism inspired by nationalism?
Pretty much this.

We're fucked for that reason.

Deleted member 13364

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's been pointed out before you couldn't have a referendum with those 3 questions as it would be loaded in favor of 'Remain'. There are people who want a hard Brexit and there are those who do want Brexit but with a deal. So you're taking all the Brexit voters and splitting them in twain. People would call foul if they tried that.
We absolutely can have three options - it would use something like the single transferable vote and use first and second preferences.

Deleted member 13364

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They won't die for shit. At best they're willing to stand out in the cold for days in front of parliament cosplaying as gilets jaunes and calling Owen Jones a poofter.

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
I will put my hands up, I said it right in here when he was making it, I thought it was a brutal speech, which decimated Corbyn. He is hated in here and elsewhere for good reason, but rarely have I seen a speech made to get such a response from all sides of the house, but that is just my opinion
It was Donald Trump esk.

offshore

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Any 2nd referendum with "No Deal" on the ballot would be the most grossly irresponsible move by any govt ever. It's barking mad for No Deal to be even in play, let alone something you'd give the British people the option to actually vote for. Though I'm unsure on who feels the wrath of the public in the event of no-deal. I'm not convinced people will blame the EU. Food shortages, prices rises, travel chaos, medicine shortages, etc... I think people will just turn on the govt.

The potential unrest from no-deal actually frightens me.

Hazzuh

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure if this polling has previously been posted. Apologies if it has but I find it really remarkable. The choice of Corbyn as best PM over May has completely collapsed amongst remain supporters:

Dw-55zJW0AEd57r.jpg

Dw-6hauXgAERznj.jpg

Dw-7XYRX0AAlXdd.jpg

Oct 30, 2017
Any 2nd referendum with "No Deal" on the ballot would be the most grossly irresponsible move by any govt ever. It's barking mad for No Deal to be even in play, let alone something you'd give the British people the option to actually vote for. Though I'm unsure on who feels the wrath of the public in the event of no-deal. I'm not convinced people will blame the EU. Food shortages, prices rises, travel chaos, medicine shortages, etc... I think people will just turn on the govt.

The potential unrest from no-deal actually frightens me.

I think if there is a 2nd referendum it will be No Brexit or Mays Deal. And that's it. They will advertise the Brexit as a proper one this time where people know exactly what their getting.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
ITT: people upset politician who's entire popularity is down to not trying to play media games didn't play media games

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
ITT: people upset politician who's entire popularity is down to not trying to play media games didn't play media games

Nope. his popularity (or lack of it) is down to being completely inept at his job and not allowing the opposition to do their best to hold the Government to true account in what is the most important issue of modern times.

I have never seen a leader of the opposition miss more open goals than Corbyn. And that's not media games, that's all on him. But sure, blame it on media games if it makes you feel better.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think if there is a 2nd referendum it will be No Brexit or Mays Deal. And that's it. They will advertise the Brexit as a proper one this time where people know exactly what their getting.
Pretty much. There is no majority in Parliament for no deal so it won't appear on a ballot. And while her deal was voted down, she could pass it if it was attached to a referendum.

The only variation would be a different deal in place of May's, with or without a referendum.

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Some of those numbers are crazy. Wow.

I'd be careful about YouGov. They're consistently polling a Tory lead which is fine, but they're literally the only pollster to do so. Doesn't mean they're wrong but they're a clear outlier from the polling herd.

To put it in context, there have been 27 polls since the start of November. 11 have shown a Tory lead, 10 of those have been from YouGov, of the other 16 polls Labour are up in 11 of them and there are 5 ties. There's not been a non YouGov Tory lead since Kantar gave them a 1% lead on the 12th of November.

Even this week we have YouGov showing two seperate 6% Tory leads, and a 5% Tory lead today. Meanwhile three other separate pollsters are showing 2%-3% Labour leads. There's a clear house effect in the YouGov numbers. Doesn't mean they're wrong but do the frequency of YouGov's polling and the fact it's the pollster for the Times and Sunday Times it's given undue prominence.

I don't disagree that Corbyn's numbers are almost certainly terrible and almost certainly worse than May's but given YouGov's GE numbers, they're probably not as bad as they're being stated.