Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I certainly understand the issues discussed in the OP and it got me wondering: is race-swapping a character frowned upon in the fan-art community?

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
This happens with a lot of fan art of characters with dark skin—those tips in the OP seem useful to keep in mind skin tone to other elements in the art.

Reminds me of Splatoon 2 Marina art and that one claw machine doll:

imageopt

Please tell me that abomination is a knockoff.

MC-MC

Dec 15, 2017
Definitely shades lighter.

On a side note; I don't consider character in the original artwork "dark skinned". I'm dark skinned, and I'm several shades darker than that.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I think it is absolutely fair to be upset that an artist has done art in a way that normalizes racial biases irrespective of the compensation or employment status of that artist.

The idea that fanart should be free from criticism is difficult for me to process.
Yeah, this. Nobody is saying it's right to harass the artist but it's certainly fair to raise some constructive criticism.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate whitewashing concerns, but this seems like it's just one fanartist, and it looks to me like they did try to keep the character dark-skinned even if it's not the same shade. So I'm a little surprised that it blew up. The fanart looks like about my shade and the in-game art doesn't strike me as so much darker that I'd appreciate the difference.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'mma be blunt as a black fan artist.

Don't lighten up dark-skinned characters.

Take time to do the work right.

Dark-skinned folks don't owe you accolades simply for drawing a dark-skinned character.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Q: Does the concept of white washing exist in japan and as a cultural negative like it exists in America?

Bonus Q: Do the Japanese think of white people as being "higher class" as I've heard/read some people describe?

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
I agree with the point that's being made, but I don't agree with the idea that people are justified in taking a Japanese person's art and stating that they have the right to modify it and upload it without credit just because they've "transformed" it, or to show up the artist or threaten them like is being shown in the opening post of the thread. Japanese fan artists often have their art basically taken from them and their ownership and rights as creators ignored or trampled upon them, so exacerbating that is more than a bit of a problem.

In general, how this discourse is being handled is showing a terrifying resemblance to the incident in the Steven Universe fandom that led to a young artist being hospitalized for nearly committing suicide. I can understand situations where one is not willing to pull punches, but each issue should be proportionate to the impact of the matter of hand.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
I appreciate whitewashing concerns, but this seems like it's just one fanartist, and it looks to me like they did try to keep the character dark-skinned even if it's not the same shade. So I'm a little surprised that it blew up. The fanart looks like about my shade and the in-game art doesn't strike me as so much darker that I'd appreciate the difference.
The problem is, even if this art was literally the only whitewashed Nessa fanart on the web, it still happens plenty with other dark skinned characters.

Designer_Fake

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ, these things are getting ridiculous. It's fucking fan art. People really find something to be offended by in everything nowadays, huh?

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Whitewashing in fanart is rarely a case of the artist intentionally going out of their way to portray a character as a different race, it's usually due to internal biases about darker skin
Ding ding ding.

The artist drew it that way because lighter skin is generally viewed as more beautiful in Asian countries. That doesn't make it right though.
Who cares? The bigger issue are all the westerners hounding some artist on Twitter in a language they don't understand.

Funny how you assume they can't understand english lol.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is, even if this art was literally the only whitewashed Nessa fanart on the web, it still happens plenty with other dark skinned characters.
No, I get that, I do think it's a legitimate concern. But I'm surprised that this art in particular is a focal point because it doesn't strike me as a particular prominent case of it. It's close enough to the original tone that I might not have noticed that it was different at first, as opposed to, say, the Pearl and Marina plushies that were shown off a while ago where Marina didn't look like she had a different skin tone than Pearl.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny how you assume they can't speak english lol.
On this particular subject, you'll find many JP artists on Twitter who don't have a full grasp of english or can just barely understand it or speak it. That language barrier has been an issue for them in how often many western accounts steal their art though they do not allow reposting of their art of any kind.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Fan artists should be able to draw whatever they want however they want. That goes for making light characters darker and dark characters light. It's fan art for crying out loud.. Make the characters however you want... it's not official anyway.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
It got bad enough that the SU crew had to step in and defend the artist.

There's criticism, and then there's plain harassment.
It was horrible the amount of vitriol she was getting, and even after getting into a hospital for help people were still tackling her down. Criticisms on the art is fine but people should stop once it starts moving towards targeting the artist. We don't want another real life example of this:

Edit: Adding article for people not in the known.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017

Probably because black people are annoyed at constantly being erased in fan art and people don't value the opinions of those on the margins.

This. It continues to happen again and again. Artist have had it pointed out them over and over again. Some learn and others clearly don't care knowing full well what they're doing is a problem. So I have no problem with people being called out for this before it gets out of control. As soon as I saw Nessa's design I knew full well some artist were going to try their best to lighten her skin tone as much as possible as soon as possible. They did it with other Nintendo characters as well that came out that were finally darker skinned.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
This. It's not like Nintendo changing her skin colour all of a sudden, it's fucking FANart. I swear, these "controversies" become more and more ridiculous every time.
Nobody is stating that Nintendo/Gamefreak have changed the character's skin colour and it being fan art doesn't remove it from criticism.

This is just a recent example of a darker skinned character being whitewashed and in this instance it's lead to a broader discussion on the topic. You may not give a shit but it doesn't make the subject ridiculous.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just glad it's not the developer this time (or, ya know, an official merchandiser). At least a random artist on Twitter can be blocked or ignored without their colorism (unconscious or otherwise) ruining your enjoyment of the game.

Good on Game Freak for making an unapologetically black/brown character. We've come a long way from blackface Jynx and mammy Lenora.
Uhh, Lenora isn't a mammy character. She's literally a museum director and fossil expert. Not to mention B/W also had other dark skinned characters such as Iris and the E4 member, Marshal

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Q: Does the concept of white washing exist in japan and as a cultural negative like it exists in America?

Bonus Q: Do the Japanese think of white people as being "higher class" as I've heard/read some people describe?

From my personal experience, "white is right". The majority of women tend to favor having lighter skin and men see it as a plus when it comes to attractiveness. Now this isn't just a white skin thing, this is just lighter skin in general over here. There is sunblock that bleaches your skin as well. A lot of people go out of their way to make sure they do not get tanned.
As for whitewashing part, I cannot really answer that properly because I do not think that concept is fully understood here. They have a tendency to stereotype black people. Right now the popular thing is to use half Japanese for modeling as well. Got to remember the population is 99% Japanese and they tend to go with what is pleasing to them first.

Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017
Erasing people of color is such a silly thing to get offended by huh?

Except she's not a person.

Jesus Christ, these things are getting ridiculous. It's fucking fan art. People really find something to be offended by in everything nowadays, huh?

I think there's people who has a lot of free time and just explore twitter to find something to be mad.

I can understand the outrage if this fanart was from a real person, but from a npc ? Please Thanos, exist to snap this people from the existence.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
I mean... compare that fan art to like every gym leader in Pokemon except like Brock - they're all pasty white... PASTY. This fanart's got lighter tones, yeah, but clearly not white-skinned to me, and the in-game model isn't exactly "dark-skinned", either.

The bias here is not really racially motivated, though, in my opinion. It's a skin-tone discrimination. My buddy grew up in India and told me a story that his parents would never let his siblings touch him for fear that his darker skin tone would "rub off" on them - same parents and all. Sad, but I have heard that this is a common mentality in Asian countries - it's part of the reason why you'll see people carrying parasols in the bright Sun, so that they don't tan and look "bad". It's interesting to me (as a 3/4 white person who looks white) that among many groups lighter-skin white people are perceived as lesser than darker-skinned, or tanned white people - "GTL" and all that. I've never really thought about this much, so I think this may come across poorly, but it's good to discuss.

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
Drawing a character in a slightly different skin tone than the official art is racist?
It's white washing the characters as a symptom of our racist society associating white skin with more being attractive as well as artists not learning how to draw people of color.
Can you only speak in extremes?
"People really find something to be offended by in everything nowadays, huh?" is a very transparent dogwhislte. I'm just translating

Oct 27, 2017
I mean... compare that fan art to like every gym leader in Pokemon except like Brock - they're all pasty white... PASTY. This fanart's got lighter tones, yeah, but clearly not white-skinned to me, and the in-game model isn't exactly "dark-skinned", either.
Serisouly, when is the last time you guys have played a Pokemon game? It's had a multicultural cast since the B/W. And SMDH, the in game model isn't dark skinned? What do you call her skin tone then? Tanned white?!

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From my personal experience, "white is right". The majority of women tend to favor having lighter skin and men see it as a plus when it comes to attractiveness. Now this isn't just a white skin thing, this is just lighter skin in general over here. There is sunblock that bleaches your skin as well. A lot of people go out of their way to make sure they do not get tanned.
As for whitewashing part, I cannot really answer that properly because I do not think that concept is fully understood here. They have a tendency to stereotype black people. Right now the popular thing is to use half Japanese for modeling as well. Got to remember the population is 99% Japanese and they tend to go with what is pleasing to them first.

Thank you for your insight!

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
Right I guess racism is just no big deal then. Minorities should stop complaining.
"iTs JuSt FaNaRt."

These are the same people that will defend obvious racial bias and the lack of diversity in gaming because "it's the developers vision". They can't mentally handle someone being critical of something they like...

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Excuse me? Are you calling me a fucking racist right now?
I mean, you aren't exactly being constructive. All your posts in this thread have been needlessly aggressive and dismissive of the legitimate concerns surrounding this.

Perhaps take a break for a bit and come back when you're calmer. There's a good discussion to be had here but you dismissing it is yet another thing for people to get mad about helps no one and just muddies the conversation that's being had in this thread and elsewhere on the internet. Thanks.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Should be open to criticism as long as it isnt harassment or such of course. It is some nice art but the skin tone definitely looks too light. That person who re-uploaded the art was damn rude through.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Serisouly, when is the last time you guys have played a Pokemon game? It's had a multicultural cast since the B/W. And SMDH, the in game model isn't dark skinned? What do you call her skin tone then? Tanned white?!

I meant not really dark-skinned as far as black skin tones, go. Dark-skinned for a Pokemon game, yeah. And I haven't really looked at every single gym leader in Pokemon series. I just googled, "pokemon gym leaders" and saw a sea of pasty whiteness.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Are people seriously acting like changing the skin color of a character is the same thing as changing shit like hair color or what have you? It doesn't matter if it's art, if there's a problem with it, it should be made known to the artist.