• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Modwhining, misrepresenting staff, and driving thread derailment
Yeah, I noticed how mods and admins in previous threads would post dumb shit like the COD Steam group meme without a hint of irony or self-awareness, as if they're incapable of following their own rules.
Honestly moderation in this place has kind of been a garbage heap. I've seen people get banned for very tame comments against Epic. Hopefully now that it's apparent that we're right the moderation team will be more fair with the people it chased off

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
Actions have consequences.

They would have had a day-one purchase from me, but that became a hard pass after the Epic Games Store announcement. I even had a few hours to buy it on Steam, but I didn't want to support them after that. If I'm still interested in a couple of years, I may pick it up on a heavy sale.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everybody that is unhappy with the way epic and involved publishers are conducting busines should be happy that the game bombed and hurts the involved parties financially.

That is literally what "Voting with your wallet" means, neolibs.
Or is that entire phrase also just another load of corporate bootlicking that stops to be the "mature solution" the moment it shows that its working?

I'm pleased by this, for sure. I had been playing through the remakes of the original games in anticipation for this and then the EGS fiasco cost them my sale. I think with the size of the online gaming community that gamer backlash has actually become effective at chilling sales of pubs and devs who pull stunts.

This would have been a big hit on Steam, too. The first two games sold well there and this looked like an improvement over those for sure. Oops.

Borderlands 3 next to undersell, I hope.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
The very reason Epic is having to moneyhat people is the expectation that the games will sell less than they would had they not been exclusive.

I dislike these exclusivity agreements but I wouldn't go cheering victory quite yet; the point of the exclusivity is to try to grow the store's userbase, and until then they'll have to spend money to make up for lost revenue to do that.

Games selling poorly might prolong Epic's efforts to moneyhat exclusives and not the other way around; there's multiple ways of looking at this type of situation. If EGS instantly caught on and became popular Epic would probably stop spending the money for these agreements. So be careful what you wish for.

Techno

Powered by Friendship™
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The very reason Epic is having to moneyhat people is the expectation that the games will sell less than they would had they not been exclusive.

I dislike these exclusivity agreements but I wouldn't go cheering victory quite yet; the point of the exclusivity is to try to grow the store's userbase, and until then they'll have to spend money to make up for lost revenue to do that.

Games selling poorly might prolong Epic's efforts to moneyhat exclusives and not the other way around; there's multiple ways of looking at this type of situation. If EGS instantly caught on and became popular Epic would probably stop spending the money for these agreements. So be careful what you wish for.

They'll just blame piracy and run away again.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

One could argue the opposite:
If it's working for Epic, that means they'll do it in bigger scale if they see returns from it.
It's not only about Epic. It's also publishers. They need to see there's a financial punition for that kind of stuff.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the "toldja so!" posts going on in this thread. Sounds like sales on the EGS outperformed their expectations, proving people are tired of Steam and Epic is the future of PC gaming.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
One could argue the opposite:
If it's working for Epic, that means they'll do it in bigger scale if they see returns from it.
It's not only about Epic. It's also publishers. They need to see there's a financial punition for that kind of stuff.
Sure; I'm just saying their first exclusives failing to sell well isn't necessarily going to lead them to stop the practice.

Especially if these pubs see great sales anyways in 6 months once the games hit Steam. It really just depends on what is going on behind the scenes.

For what it's worth though Epic has outright stated the plan is to scale back if the store becomes more popular, or if other stores lower their cut from the standard ~30% (although whether that's BS or not is hard to say.)

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
My guess is growing up with "capitalism is all and corporations are people too" ingrained in us either consciously or subconsciously. Kind of like the second amendment here in the US.

It's sad. If this isn't just contrarian trolling or... um... 'work', it's really sad to see people emotionally invested with corporations that they would want to silence other consumers from even voting with their wallets by insinuating that it is 'toxic'

Oct 26, 2017
EGS has no longevity beyond just their initial moneyhat, publisher/devs are foolish for being so short sighted.

It's sad. If this isn't just contrarian trolling or... um... 'work', it's really sad to see people emotionally invested with corporations that they would want to silence other consumers from even voting with their wallets by insinuating that it is 'toxic'

It's pretty insane isn't it, it's literally just the free market at work yet somehow that's entitlement. Yeah that's right, we're entitled to not spend our money on things.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
People want to stick it to the man but not confront the consequences of doing it. They think studios will recapacitate and do better in the future, while the most likely scenario is that the studio will close and people will lose their jobs. But the public cannot be blamed by the situations started by those very devs/publishers.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
So metro is already making a profit and the vast majority of sales are on console. How times have changed. I always thought it was pretty niche series on console but not anymore.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
It is like some people never learn lessons. The Epic Games Store lacks basic functions like cloud saves and a fucking shopping cart. A lot of people aren't going to purchase a game or if they aren't getting the basic features they are used to.

Epic can keep moneyhatting publishers to make up for lost sales but publishers should realize they can lose their repuation and less people playing their games can lead to lower sales of future games due to a bad repuataion and a lack of an install base on previous games.

zon

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not trying to backseat mod, just letting you guys know who are talking about the PC community and moderation. Last month one of the admins made a staff post in the pc thread with the title 'final warning'. We were told not to comment on moderation regarding egs threads anymore. I dunno if they still enforce that warning but it's a sensitive topic.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
So the people who were previously skeptical and not taking what was said at face value were likely correct. Steam likely carried the bulk of PC sales given the performance at the start being the only time you could get it. These decisions while they might not sacrifice revenue for now due to payouts, they're going to definitively suffer long term and this is basically confirmation. Users aren't shifting platforms and exodus of developers just means more opportunities for others to take their place.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So metro is already making a profit and the vast majority of sales are on console. How times have changed. I always thought it was pretty niche series on console but not anymore.
The console sales were a niche compared to the PC sales where the franchise used to be a Juggernaut but it still sold a lot of console copies. I don't think that for some reason every console owner now wanted to buy Exodus and it's most likely that the PC sales simply took a nosedive due to the exclusivity deal and the fact that the majority of PC players oppose the EGS and its tactics.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
That's not the takeaway. The PC sales completely tanked, which most are correlating to it being exclusive to of the Epic store.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I'd like to know how much it sold on Steam when it was announced that it would an EGS exclusive and if it ended up selling better than on the EGS at launch.

😂😂😂

As much as I want EGS to die, there's still Origin, UPlay, Battlenet, Bethesda, and they've haven't gone away despite (i assume) reaching a much lower userbase than Steam. It seems like publishers are willing to take the L on PC to avoid giving a cut to Valve.

That's not the takeaway. The PC sales completely tanked, which most are correlating to it being exclusive to of the Epic store.

And it's too bad considering Metro was one of the few AAA franchises that still felt "PC first".

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
"The real takeway is that exclusivity was just the friends we made along the way." - excerpt from the THQN investors call

Last edited:

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
The console sales were a niche compared to the PC sales where the franchise used to be a Juggernaut but it still sold a lot of console copies. I don't think that for some reason every console owner now wanted to buy Exodus and it's most likely that the PC sales simply took a nosedive due to the exclusivity deal and the fact that the majority of PC players oppose the EGS and its tactics.
Have the console sales for the launch not greatly increased over the previous game? And that doesn't factor in digital.

On the PC side, do you think they factored in the EGS moneyhat? Like when the said it already made a profit do you think they included that or not?

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Impossible. I was told repeatedly that PC gamers were just gonna shut up and use the EGS anyways.

Could it be that a lot of Era doesn't have a clue when it comes to PC gaming?

I can't stand the "just another launcher" type stuff either, but it's not really era specific if we're being fair. I'm on the PC gaming reddit and general games Reddit and the same opinions are shared there as well as other comment sections. It just seems like people are divided in general over the matter.

Last edited:

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Not surprised in the least. The PC community is overwhelmingly against Epic's moneyhats. Customers aren't cattle.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
I can understand an indie studio taking the cash and running, but why would this big publisher be swayed?

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I can understand an indie studio taking the cash and running, but why would this big publisher be swayed?
the first few i understand, if they're not super ear to the ground then they could be caught off guard and not understand why they wouldn't take free money for "just another launcher"

the middle ones who already signed before the initial uproar but had to announce after it I can understand

the late ones presumably signed post outcry I cannot understand unless their studio was on life support but the amount of good will you throw away seems to be killing any long term survival your company could have in exchange for a short guaranteed period of staying afloat

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
lets be honest here...metro is nowhere near the caliber of borderlands 3, red dead redemption..when those hit pc as epic store exclusives, CAUSE THEY WILL, it kind of obvious (BL3 laready is lol), they will sell millions. Not as many as on steam for sure, but millions nonetheless, but with moneyhat on thats perfectly fine for pubs and devs.

metro exodus is a decent/good game at best..not bad, but not very good. once the big titles start coming out, the egs lovers will come out flaunting their new flavor of the month.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Am I misremembering or wasn't there news about Metro Exodus sales on EGS to be absolutely amazing and better than expected around the launch window?
If I remember that slide correctly they said that Metro Exodus sold 2.5 times more than Metro Last Light did during the same period of time. The slide never mentioned if those sales were on EGS or not.

Nov 14, 2017
the first few i understand, if they're not super ear to the ground then they could be caught off guard and not understand why they wouldn't take free money for "just another launcher"

the middle ones who already signed before the initial uproar but had to announce after it I can understand

the late ones presumably signed post outcry I cannot understand unless their studio was on life support but the amount of good will you throw away seems to be killing any long term survival your company could have in exchange for a short guaranteed period of staying afloat
I'm willing to believe that all of the moneyhats we've seen thus far were all sent out before the initial backlash.

Although in the case of Borderlands, I'm willing to bet Randy just didn't give a fuck regardless.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington

I think we're maybe underestimating just how BIG these checks are. My understanding is that the initial payoff is already insane, and if the game doesn't hit initial sales expectations on EGS than Epic will pay for that "lost" money as well. Borderlands 3 is probably more than a $30 million dollar deal.

For smaller non-crowdfunded games, even though it hurts since I'm no longer buying their games, I do get it. A game like Observation, even though it obviously looks outstanding, is hardly a guaranteed success on any platform, so getting a fat paycheck upfront without any commitment to literal success is hard to beat.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
lets be honest here...metro is nowhere near the caliber of borderlands 3, red dead redemption..when those hit pc as epic store exclusives, CAUSE THEY WILL, it kind of obvious (BL3 laready is lol), they will sell millions. Not as many as on steam for sure, but millions nonetheless, but with moneyhat on thats perfectly fine for pubs and devs.

metro exodus is a decent/good game at best..not bad, but not very good. once the big titles start coming out, the egs lovers will come out flaunting their new flavor of the month.

Let's be honest indeed: Do you honestly think that the EGS can survive with a couple of big moneyhatted games selling well and everything else flopping?

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I read this more like "wow the console market really is a good place to be" just like how Witcher 2 and 3 did better on consoles than PC by a large amount t
LMFAO, source please? i mean...if you are going to throw random ass numbers around that are absolutely not true at all, damn...ya...it is wlel known that witcher 2 did not outsell the pc version and especially by a LARGE AMOUNT lol, and withcer 3 is still one of the best selling games on PC outselling even new games. It has most likely surpassed console sales on the long run already.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I can't stand the "just another launcher" type stuff either, but it's not really era specific if we're being fair. I'm on the PC gaming reddit and general games Reddit and the same opinions are shared there as well as other comment sections. It just seems like people are divided in general over the matter.

PC Gaming is a pretty crazy toxic subreddit though.

Hell just recently I read a highly upvoted comment asking someone to feign depression so Epic Games would get fined. Also looks like plenty of them have zero issues with just pirating whatever game they want.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
On the PC side, do you think they factored in the EGS moneyhat? Like when the said it already made a profit do you think they included that or not?

I mean I guess they would? Was it Phoenix Point that people were able to work out how much the moneyhat was due to profit repayments to backers?

That payment should be included in the profit I think. I'm not sure they would be allowed to handle it any different due to shareholders and such. Otherwise they'd be getting a separate compensation payment to pretty much restrict their product sales potential and everyone who recieve a cut which sounds pretty shady and possible illegal.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
This is some Konami-level bullshit. "People didn't buy Silent Hill Book of Memories, so clearly audiences are not into the Silent Hill brand".

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Reset: Oh my god, don't work too hard developers! We value you - crunch is EVIL. 4A sacrificed so much to finish Metro: Last Light!

Also Reset: lmao glad your game sold badly, don't wrong us gamers again
You're banned so you won't see this until that ban ends but man, this is a bad fuckin' take. How embarrassing for you...