• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hiring second party studios is posible. It's not the ideal solution but games are games. Sony will have Spider-Man and Detroit that way this year.

PS: i don't find realistic 5 unnanounced games this e3 by the way. My bet is 3.
This is what I'm expecting from them this E3:
- Ori & the Blind Forest 2
- Halo 6 gameplay demo, looks fire
- Crackdown 3 demo, coming out NOW
- Coalition, either Gears or new IP, CGI tease
- Forza.. anotherone.gif
- Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay demo, release 2019 (MP but it's CDPR, so I'm hype)
- rumored multiplatform Bethesda space game, gameplay vid, early 2019
- Fable teaser

That's a pretty good 7, 7.5/10. Depending on what surprises there are, or maybe Halo, Coalition games are incredibly impressive (they should be on an Xbox 1). I think MS has been tumbling over the 7.5 wavelength for the longest time (this is from a guy that plays on PS in terms of perspective). If the games were new IPs or drastically different, it would be higher based on the numbers of announcements but they haven't had a single mindblowing E3 this entire generation for me. Would be nice if the had 1 more thing on top of that.. or Coalition is working on a balling new IP. I will likely skip it and rewatch if I hear it's hype this time around. With the cancelled games over the years, even their previous E3s have gotten progressively worse.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
- Forza.. anotherone.gif
- Fable teaser

That's a pretty good 7, 7.5/10. Depending on what surprises there are, or maybe Halo, Coalition games are incredibly impressive (they should be on an Xbox 1). I think MS has been tumbling over the 7.5 wavelength for the longest time (this is from a guy that plays on PS in terms of perspective). If the games were new IPs or drastically different, it would be higher based on the numbers of announcements but they haven't had a single mindblowing E3 this entire generation for me. Would be nice if the had 1 more thing on top of that.. or Coalition is working on a balling new IP. I will likely skip it and rewatch if I hear it's hype this time around. With the cancelled games over the years, even their previous E3s have gotten progressively worse.
I would say that it won't be a Fable teaser but a Perfect Dark one instead. I would like to see/know more about a lot of indies they showed last year. Some of them were really interesting.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, Microsoft already has it all (the hardware and software development, the infrastructure, etc). It's repeating the same as always: it needs exclusives. It needs something like SIE Worlwide Studios and ICE Team, with a clear philosophy based on creativity. If they achieve that, and manage to get away from the Halo/Gears/Forza trifecta, they're golden.

Exactly. Everybody praises the hardware and ecosystem, so if only they can find a way to add more and better first party titles things are looking good. Hopefully we'll see some indications they are investing big time at E3.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
No, Destiny wasnt forward compatible. You had to buy and 360/PS3 version and a XO/PS4 version if you wanted to play across the generations. This is not forward compatibility.

Forward compatibility would be, you have a 360 and buy Destiny play it for a while. Then you upgrade to an XO console and your copy of Destiny still works but runs as an XO version now. No need to re-buy a next gen copy as the one you have is forward compatible.

That is exactly how Destiny worked. Anyone purchasing the PS3 or Xbox 360 versions and upgrading prior to Jan 15th 2015 received a free copy for PS4 or XB1. No need to re-buy anything.

Apr 9, 2018
Title is misleading.

MS going 'all-in' is Thurrott's addition. This doesn't mean anything, sadly, for Xbox owners crying out for more exclusive content.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I would say that it won't be a Fable teaser but a Perfect Dark one instead. I would like to see/know more about a lot of indies they showed last year. Some of them were really interesting.
Very valid point 2/3 best games this gen are indies IMO, so that's definitely something to look for!

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I'll wait and see what 1st party games come out for the Xbox Two. My Xbox One is nothing more than a paperweight at the momemt. Was hoping to play more exclusives like Fable, Sudeki 2, etc. Doesn't matter to me if MS has a console that pumps 4K graphics, teraflops, etc. Without some great games that sell systems, will pass on this. Exclusives and variety sells, not the usual Forza,GOW/Halo.

Its Dead Jim

Jan 11, 2018
Ceti Alpha V
That is exactly how Destiny worked. Anyone purchasing the PS3 or Xbox 360 versions and upgrading prior to Jan 15th 2015 received a free copy for PS4 or XB1. No need to re-buy anything.
But that's not forward compatibility is it?! That was a special offer, only applied for a limited time and required a different version of the game.

What about CoD Ghosts? FIFA? There are many cross gen games that would benefit the consumer by being forward compatible.

Apr 9, 2018
Hope this is true cos if it is then I'm so happy MS isn't rushing out the next Xbox. They need to take their time and create something substantially better than what we have now.
This is all very interesting though can't wait to see what the OS team and Panos hardware team come up with also they'll hopefully have a lot more projects in development than the rumoured Fable and PD also what's the part about a new Xbox in development??

The CPU in the Xbox One X is very outdated and weak compared to what AMD have now. Upgrading that to Zeppelin would be a giant leap forward right now.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
- Forza.. anotherone.gif
- Fable teaser

Take out the CGI because they said they aren't doing that anymore, they said they aren't showing CGI trailers of "games that aren't coming out for 3 years" and want to show gameplay of games releasing within 18 months mostly.

We know based on many reliable insiders that we will be seeing a Gears of War spinoff made by Splash Damage at E3.

We know based on a lot of evidence and Electric Square signing a deal with Turn10 Studios as well as them making cartoony car models that we will probably be seeing a Forza karting game using the new avatars as well as popular characters from Xbox IPs. (Set for 2019 in addition to Forza Horizon 4 coming out this year) so actually two Forza games.

As for Fable, we know Fable is next gen and not expected to be ready to come out until at least Fall 2020 or Spring 2021. I WOULD however expect a Perfect Dark reboot teaser with a "Early 2020" release window to close out the show in place of Fable.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
But that's not forward compatibility is it?! That was a special offer, only applied for a limited time and required a different version of the game.

What about CoD Ghosts? FIFA? There are many cross gen games that would benefit the consumer by being forward compatible.

It being "a different version of the game" is nitpicky, the gen7/8 versions of the game were identical in features. It's no more different than a hypothetical XB2 and XB1 version might be. If you went entirely digital, you just downloaded "Destiny" on each console - it automatically gives you the appropriate version.

And right, that's what I'm saying - it would be "forward compatibility", if we believe (and we shouldn't) people in this thread suggesting it's a good thing because it's entirely up to the publishers how and what they do to support it, including nothing at all. I am saying forward compatibility means nothing unless it's mandated, and then it becomes an albatross to the next gen.

Apr 9, 2018
Its been backed by Matt who's an insider here.

Yes but we've been hearing the same thing for almost a decade now. 'MS making big investments in gaming' etc

It could mean anything but what I do know from experience is that it doesn't mean what people hope for. I.e large investments by them to make critically acclaimed SP titles or even highly acclaimed games from Japanese devs. This is just not the game they're in to and that isn't going to change.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Yes but we've been hearing the same thing for almost a decade now. 'MS making big investments in gaming' etc

It could mean anything but what I do know from experience is that it doesn't mean what people hope for. I.e large investments by them to make critically acclaimed SP titles or even highly acclaimed games from Japanese devs. This is just not the game they're in to and that isn't going to change.

''What people hope for''

You mean, what you hope for? I couldn't care less about SP games or Japanese titles. ;)

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Wait a moment, Don Mattrick really spent 400 million dollars for a non gaming related deal with NFL???? I didn't knew that, wtf???

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Well ok but expect them to keep selling half of what their competitor sells worldwide then.

I think you need a diverse line-up. So yes, MS needs more singleplayer focused games. But PUBG selling more than 5 million copies on Xbox and more than 35 million copies PC+Xbox shows the demand for multiplayer games. Just pointing out that there are many different type of customers. Some like singleplayer experiences, others like multiplayer experiences.
And MS would be really happy with selling half of what Sony sells at the moment... haha.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018

If only they thought about investing in development of highly acclaimed games, instead of bankrolling games with lower critical reception.

Ehker

Oct 27, 2017
Wait a moment, Don Mattrick really spent 400 million dollars for a non gaming related deal with NFL???? I didn't knew that, wtf???
That deal wasn't Mattrick but for MS overall, where the bigger part of the deal was MS Surface tablet is the Official NFL Tablet and it had coaches/players/tv commentators using it.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Good to hear they're investing more in Xbox. I'd like to see a return to their early 360 days in terms of chasing new IP.

That deal wasn't Mattrick but for MS overall, where the bigger part of the deal was MS Surface tablet is the Official NFL Tablet and it had coaches/players/tv commentators using it.

Mattrick drove it. Devices, including Surface and Xbox, were in Mattrick's IEB division.

Last edited:

Deleted member 13628

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is FC mandated on PC and mobile? Because it's a good thing on those platforms. There is no reason to force every developer to a ps5/xb2 baseline if their games don't require those capabilities and they need to sell to a larger audience.

Ehker

Oct 27, 2017
Mattrick drove it. Devices, including Surface and Xbox, were in Mattrick's IEB division.
Huh, I'm not familiar with IEB involvement in Surface or such partnership deals, so I'm surprised that such a large deal could be pinned on Mattrick. The 5 year deal also just got extended for another year so MS still seems on-board.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Matt says he's excited with what he knows, Phil said SP games are coming, Sony has proven AAA SP games are more popular then ever, theres articles from some of the most Reputable sites pointing out MS lack of tradtional games (Ryan McCaffery tweeted Phil) I think it reasonable to assume that we're all on the same page here in reagrds to what type of investment this means. It means more games, and more then likely much better SP support then what we've got so far with XB1.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I can see them getting into gear to try to get positioned for the game streaming market. The competition there will eventually be even tougher, though.

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
statham, stop trying to be clever. :P

Matt says he's excited with what he knows, Phil said SP games are coming, Sony has proven AAA SP games are more popular then ever, theres articles from some of the most Reputable sites pointing out MS lack of tradtional games (Ryan McCaffery tweeted Phil) I think it reasonable to assume that we're all on the same page here in reagrds to what type of investment this means. It means more games, and more then likely much better SP support then what we've got so far with XB1.

If it can get people to stop turning their noses up every time there's news coming out of the Xbox camp, then this should be splendid.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Here's some info relevant to the OP and how it ties into the future of Xbox:

AT&T says it will launch mobile 5G in a dozen U.S. markets late this year, staking the claim that it expects to be the first U.S. carrier to offer such blazing speeds to phones. The carrier has been in a race against Verizon Wireless to deliver this next generation of cell-phone service to U.S. consumers.

The jump to 5G will mean super-fast smartphones, and the transition will also have a significant impact on technology such as virtual reality, self-driving cars and other Internet-connected gadgets.

and

Compared with the current 4G LTE technology, 5G is targeting to reach both high speed (1 Gbps), low power and low latency (1ms or less), for massive IoT, tactile internet and robotics.

and

And it's not just smartphone makers. Laptop manufacturers such as Microsoft, ASUS, Lenovo and HP too, are in talks to include eSIMs in the next generation of devices. Imagine not requiring an internet dongle or WiFi to get online.

This doesn't even touch on AI and how that'll impact game development going forward. The point? The ecosystem and structure within the company were absolutely more important to get right first. Next up are the APIs that can capitalize on cloud compute because game development will change. We are towards the end of the era where it will take a team of 200 to 300 developers 4 years to create AAA graphics and animations. We are towards the end of an era where the only way you're going to be able to play cutting edge games is sitting next to an expensive CPU or are an early adopter of a console. Xbox is now positioned to go all-in on games...but going all-in on games may mean something different as well.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Here's some info relevant to the OP and how it ties into the future of Xbox:

AT&T says it will launch mobile 5G in a dozen U.S. markets late this year, staking the claim that it expects to be the first U.S. carrier to offer such blazing speeds to phones. The carrier has been in a race against Verizon Wireless to deliver this next generation of cell-phone service to U.S. consumers.

The jump to 5G will mean super-fast smartphones, and the transition will also have a significant impact on technology such as virtual reality, self-driving cars and other Internet-connected gadgets.

and

Compared with the current 4G LTE technology, 5G is targeting to reach both high speed (1 Gbps), low power and low latency (1ms or less), for massive IoT, tactile internet and robotics.

and

And it's not just smartphone makers. Laptop manufacturers such as Microsoft, ASUS, Lenovo and HP too, are in talks to include eSIMs in the next generation of devices. Imagine not requiring an internet dongle or WiFi to get online.

This doesn't even touch on AI and how that'll impact game development going forward. The point? The ecosystem and structure within the company were absolutely more important to get right first. Next up are the APIs that can capitalize on cloud compute because game development will change. We are towards the end of the era where it will take a team of 200 to 300 developers 4 years to create AAA graphics and animations. Xbox is now positioned to go all-in on games...but going all-in on games may mean something different as well.

FYI - Black text does not show well on the dark theme

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017

What you're describing is backwards compatibility.

If the 360 was forwards compatible with the One you would be able to take halo 5 and play it on 360.

Oct 25, 2017
Not worth making a new thread over, but database vendor CBInsights makes the case that Microsoft 'may' spinoff the Xbox based on their earnings calls, investments, and M&A activity.

Microsoft talks less about Xbox (and Surface), and more about Azure:
Microsoft-product-mentions-ET-1024x576.png

Microsoft buys a lot of companies, but fewer consumer, and more enterprise:

Slide1-1024x576.png

https://www.cbinsights.com/research/microsoft-spinoff-xbox/

Anyway, for entertainment only.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Not worth making a new thread over, but database vendor CBInsights makes the case that Microsoft 'may' spinoff the Xbox based on their earnings calls, investments, and M&A activity.

Slide1-1024x576.png

Ain't happening. Xbox is fine.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017

Slide1-1024x576.png

Xbox ties into Azure. Azure is currently a competitive advantage of Xbox while Xbox can drive Azure use.

Microsoft also doesn't bring Xbox to the table only to immediately show them the door. Makes no sense.

These insights made sense in 2014. They should've died out once Nadella promoted Spencer. It's wishful thinking by some now.