OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
Oct 26, 2017
Had a massive double-take reading that news.

First, misread the dates (being a Brit) as 7th November - 9th January.
Second, read "summer" and made a mental adjustment - but the wrong one.
"What? Georgia's in the Southern Hemisphere now? That can't be right!"

So, it won't even be going to a Grand Jury until July at the earliest. Before then we'll still have Trump's appeal on the constitutionality of the Special Grand Jury (reply due 1st May), and the defendants' lawyers response to the DA's motion to have then chucked out of representing multiple clients with competing interests (reply due 5th May).

RMChoodie

Dec 27, 2021
American in Costa Rica
I live in Atlanta and have been covering this story at the largest radio station in the South
This is a huge deal the coffee country election seems to be a big part of the case that they didn't stop in 2020 they continued trying to mess with voting machines and now the fake electors getting immunity
The fear of security on this particular indictment is requiring months of planning locally
Honestly I'm hoping I am in Costa Rica on vacation when this goes down for my own sanity (late June-mid July)

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
A US president that tried to steal an election will very likely be the nominee that 70 million Americans will vote for again. Insane.

Hope they nail him.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I hope something comes of this. Not exactly thrilled at immunity for people so willing to subvert democracy.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Can some explain this one to me? One of the defense attorneys for the fraudulent electors did *not* present immunity and she should have? And then lied and said she *did* offer immunity? What reason would she have for doing this? Being a Trumper? Is this malpractice? Is she hooped?

It's an immunity deal, meaning they agreed to testify in exchange for no charges. Think of it as their civil service is testifying in the other trail, and if they try to pull anything funny their immunity is pulled.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's an immunity deal, meaning they agreed to testify in exchange for no charges. Think of it as their civil service is testifying in the other trail, and if they try to pull anything funny their immunity is pulled.

Right, I got that part. I meant the part where another lawyer representing the traitors did *not* offer them an immunity deal for their testimony.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Right, I got that part. I meant the part where another lawyer representing the traitors did *not* offer them an immunity deal for their testimony.

Happened about a month ago. Prosecution asked that she be removed from the case. Likely motive is protecting the masterminds behind the conspiracy, yes.

Since it was revealed, 7 more fake electors have taken plea deals (that we know of), so it's clear that she knew they would flip on someone who matters, if she presented the deal to them.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Happened about a month ago. Prosecution asked that she be removed from the case. Likely motive is protecting the masterminds behind the conspiracy, yes.

Since it was revealed, 7 more fake electors have taken plea deals (that we know of), so it's clear that she knew they would flip on someone who matters, if she presented the deal to them.

Shouldn't there be stronger consequences for this? It seems like it should be illegal.

Aug 15, 2022

that last part

The new commission will convene by July 1 and put forth rules and regulations no later than October 1. Under the law, the commission will not be able to receive complaints before October 1 and will not be able to receive complaints about misconduct that happened before that date unless it is related to "a continuous pattern of conduct that continues beyond that date."

seems important to me? i feel like the DA will already have the ball rolling well and good by then, and that language feels specific. i can imagine trump calling kemp up and demanding he try something like this, and this is a semi toothless way to do it. idk im not a lawyer lol

Trump appeals against the Special Grand Jury
OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
Fani Willis has filed a response to Trump's massive 483-page appeal of the Special Grand Jury.

It's a fairly tight document, at only 24 pages, that just dumps on Trump for having no standing, no decent arguments and bad timing. She hopes to get the appeal dismissed on the papers only, without a hearing.

Team Trump is claiming it wants to respond to this, but I don't think they have filed anything yet.

OP updated accordingly.

EDIT 20th May: Amicus brief filed by a bunch of former prosecutors ....

Trump requested 21 days to rely to Willis' response ....

Judge says no, there's already too much paperwork, Trump doesn't get to reply at all!

Last edited:

julian

Oct 27, 2017
It really feels like the thing that has kept him out of jail all these years is that all his crimes are connected and he never stops committing them.

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
Gonna try over the weekend to bring these threads up to date. There's been a lot happening on appeals and whatnot and I'm sure I haven't caught up on it all.

I just hope this extra thing from Willis doesn't slow down the actual GA indictments any more, or that by spreading too wide it ends up Federal.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
With the Stormy Daniels trial almost a year away, I hope we can get through everything before this fucker potentially ends up back in office and becomes untouchable yet again.

It really feels like the thing that has kept him out of jail all these years is that all his crimes are connected and he never stops committing them.

I think about this often myself. Prosecutors can't really announce charges if they keep having to adding them on a near-daily basis.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.

simpsons-germs.gif

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US

Yeah, it's like he's got this web of crimes and civil offenses that's just so sprawling and vast that's it's hard to get a handle on it. The only reason it isn't working at this point is because he's facing state and federal prosecutors who are highly motivated, and have the budget to to do the work. (Edit: And A LOT of them, to the point of this thread. I frequently wonder how the Carroll case would have gone if that was the only legal case he was dealing with at the time)

Back in the day I used to hear how he would get away with so many illegal things just by throwing lawyers at the problem and dragging it out until his opponents ran out of resources or just gave up. The last couple of years have really crystalized this concept for me. Imagine being a subcontractor suing for unpaid bills, using some local-ass PI attorney, and having to wade through 500 pages of B.S. appeals, plus all the other stalling tactics. It must be soul crushing when all you want is a few thousand dollars for the work you did.

Last edited:

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Back in the day I used to hear how he would get away with so many illegal things just by throwing lawyers at the problem and dragging it out until his opponents ran out of resources or just gave up. The last couple of years have really crystalized this concept for me. Imagine being a subcontractor suing for unpaid bills, using some local-ass PI attorney, and having to wade through 500 pages of B.S. appeals, plus all the other stalling tactics. It must be soul crushing when all you want is a few thousand dollars for the work you did.
I still remember the piano story.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US

Weird that a story like that can basically represent the everyday operating practices of Trump's businesses. Seem like everyone from NYC in the 80s/90s either knows someone who was in that situation, or was that person.

And I can only assume that this lawyer eventually worked for Trump during his administration:

"I asked my lawyer if I should ask for payment upfront, and he laughed," Diehl wrote. "'It's Donald Trump!' he told me. 'He's got lots of money.'"

Only the best lawyers- yikes.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they're not giving all the fake electors immunity. I want a lot of them to go down, too. Fuckers signed a document saying "I swear I'm the real state Elector," they shouldn't get to walk away from that. That's coup behavior too.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they're not giving all the fake electors immunity. I want a lot of them to go down, too. Fuckers signed a document saying "I swear I'm the real state Elector," they shouldn't get to walk away from that. That's coup behavior too.
Eh if these people help send Rudy or one of the trump sons to jail I'll take it. Their crimes are far far worse than those idiot pawns.

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
We know already that Fani Willis is going after the Georgia fake electors, there was a row earlier about them having the same counsel and I think 8 of them have now flipped. If Smith is also going after fake electors it could all get very confusing.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Agreed. In the TV procedurals they always present it as the first one or two get deals, the rest go to jail. But it almost sounds like they're giving everyone immunity deals, for as you said a deliberate coup attempt.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Agreed. In the TV procedurals they always present it as the first one or two get deals, the rest go to jail. But it almost sounds like they're giving everyone immunity deals, for as you said a deliberate coup attempt.

I think a lot of them genuinely thought this was a legal move. There is probably a difference here versus say, the Jan6th kill cop Magas. Probably enough room to argue that with their lawyers. Hopefully its immunity on X charge, but still getting fucked by Y charge.

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017

What happened in the GA case was (IIRC) that 10 of the fake electors were represented by the same counsel. Immunity was offered to 8 of them, the dumb stooges that were only rounded up for their signatures, but not to the two who did the rounding-up and were in contact with the Eastmans and Giulianis of this world. This would normally all be secret at this stage, but the lawyer did not pass on the offers of immunity to her clients - to try and protect the other two. Then it all blew up.

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think we know enough about the rest of the Smith indictments to have a dedicated thread yet. We've only got this one for Georgia because indictments were said to be imminent some months ago - I jumped the gun really.

I think I'll lay off a dedicated thread at least until we can smell the indictments coming!

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017