Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
It's so frustrating watching the judges in every different trial go through the baby steps of trying to educate him, give him his first warning, give him the now-I-mean-business speech, over and over again. Is it some principle of law that they can't factor in what's happened in all the other trials?

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I hope for a literal gag order. Like Trump has to wear a ballgag in court and is forced to wear mittens outside of it so he can't use his phone.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The gag order said he couldn't post about any of the staff. It didn't say he couldn't post about the staff's family. Gotcha, judge.

(Going through Trump's mind right now.)

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
Oct 26, 2017
It's so frustrating watching the judges in every different trial go through the baby steps of trying to educate him, give him his first warning, give him the now-I-mean-business speech, over and over again. Is it some principle of law that they can't factor in what's happened in all the other trials?

What happens in other trials is not evidence properly before the court. Not unless someone puts it into evidence (like DoJ has done recently in the DC trial before Judge Chutkan).

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
IF THEY CAN GAG ME, THEY CAN GAG YOU!

I'd also put the gag on his comments outside the courtroom, because he's going to do his best to turn this into a circus.

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
That's some weak-ass gag order. Watch him push it to the exact letter.

Sick of hearing things akin to "Nobody is above the law" in relation to some of these trials, with acres of evidence to the contrary. He should have been held in immediate contempt, and blanket gagged for that dangerous post about the poor clerk. Absurdly soft treatment for this criminal prick.

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
That's some weak-ass gag order. Watch him push it to the exact letter.

Sick of hearing things akin to "Nobody is above the law" in relation to some of these trials, with acres of evidence to the contrary. He should have been held in immediate contempt, and blanket gagged for that dangerous post about the poor clerk. Absurdly soft treatment for this criminal prick.

As I understand it, for contempt you must have either a breach of a court order, or the contempt be committed in the face of the court (i.e. actually in the courtroom). Outside the courtroom, absent a court order, there can be no contempt of court.

At least that's the way it is over here, don't know what it's like over there.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Judge:
bugs-bunny-cross-the-line.gif

Trump:
goofy-trial.gif

Putzballs

Nov 5, 2017
I genuinely laughed out loud when I read the stuff about measuring square footage and the Trump explanation that everyone does it differently…👍

I mean math isn't a precise thing at all.

How the hell can't Trump supporters see what a clown he is? 🤡

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
But here is something that might attract a further gag order if it is brought to the court's attention:

CNN said:
Before former President Donald Trump appeared in court Tuesday for the second day of his civil fraud trial in New York, he claimed on social media that it has now "been agreed in Court that Mar-a-Lago is WORTH 50 to 100 times the Value" New York Attorney General Letitia James had ascribed to it, $18 million.

Trump was claiming, therefore, that the court had agreed the Florida property is worth $900 million to $1.8 billion.

Facts First: Trump's claim is false. There has been no such agreement in court. Judge Arthur Engoron and a lawyer for James' office did not endorse a Trump lawyer's Monday claim in court that Mar-a-Lago could be sold for more than $1 billion.

It's not good to misrepresent court findings. Not good at all.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Does the judge's gag order about "member of my staff" include the judge himself? Because I can see Trump complying with not targeting clerks, but I don't think he has it in him to stop slurring the judge.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
What's the over/under on him going to his *very next* rally and being like "They put a gag order on me. So, I'm not allowed to say <<insert he says it right here>>. I can't say it."?

That's like 400% happening, isn't it?

TRIAL - Day 3, still accountants, from Mazars and Whiltley Penn
OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
Summary of day 3 (CNN)

Witnesses
Donald Bender (Mazars accountant) - cross
Cameron Harris (Whitley Penn accountant) - direct only

A day of very repetitive witnesses, with slow cross examination exasperating the judge. Trump has gone back to Mar-a-Lago thank goodness.
Essentially the defense is trying to blame the accountants, while the accountants say they were only hired to compile stuff, not to check it.

Last edited:

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
I didn't see this brought up here? From the first day:

Judge told lawyers to "keep the volume down" after Alina Habba "practically yelled" at him: reporter

Judge Arthur Engoron, the judge presiding over Donald Trump's civil fraud trial in New York, had to instruct attorneys to lower their voices after an outburst from Alina Habba, an attorney for the former president.

Habba became incensed about a number of perceived issues with the judge, including the fact that he is holding a bench trial rather than a jury trial. Engoron explained that he was holding a bench trial because "nobody asked for" a jury trial on Trump's legal team.

Habba also accused the judge of improperly valuing Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort at $18 million, even though Engoron in a summary judgement finding that Trump and his companies had persistently committed fraud cited a Palm Beach County official's assessment that the property was worth between $18 million and $27 million between 2011 and 2021.

"He said, 'hang on. I never said that.' And he didn't say it. His ruling that came down last week said that there have been valuations for property appraisal that put it at that" price, New York Times reporter Suzanne Craig, who was in the courtroom, recounted on MSNBC. "It doesn't mean it's worth that. And I just found that that really struck me because that's what Donald Trump and some of his lieutenants do. They say a lie and they repeat it over and over and over. And Eric Trump, the other night, was out tweeting about that valuation saying the same thing. And so the judge — there was a very heated back and forth and vocal back and forth between the two of them at the end of her remarks. And her audience was an audience of one. It was Donald Trump."

Engoron, who reportedly waited until Habba had concluded her rant to speak, then requested that the attorneys lower the volume.

"She gets up and was very animated, was practically yelling to the point where, after she was done, the judge said to the next lawyer that came up to keep the volume down because it was so loud," Craig continued.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Trump's idiot lawyer knows she has to put on as big of a song and dance as possible for him, because in the event he's found guilty she will 100% become a target for his cult for "not trying hard enough" to prove his innocence or whatever.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Trump's idiot lawyer knows she has to put on as big of a song and dance as possible for him, because in the event he's found guilty she will 100% become a target for his cult for "not trying hard enough" to prove his innocence or whatever.
Well, there's that, and there's the whole bit about hoping he actually pays her.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I cannot wrap my head around Trump attempting to use the defense of "We specifically wrote in all our real estate deals that we are allowed to lie!"

Mother fucker, you can't write in contracts that "I'm allowed to commit crimes".

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
His Reality Distortion Field is flickering. Every so often you can see in his face that he sees what we all see.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
I cannot wrap my head around Trump attempting to use the defense of "We specifically wrote in all our real estate deals that we are allowed to lie!"

Mother fucker, you can't write in contracts that "I'm allowed to commit crimes".
Because it's their only defense. This is an open and shut case through and through.

Alina Habba and the rest of Trump's attorneys are likely on their way to disbarment if this keeps up.

As a lawyer, you cannot misrepresent facts, and these same lawyers were already sanctioned for this.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Because it's their only defense. This is an open and shut case through and through.

Alina Habba and the rest of Trump's attorneys are likely on their way to disbarment if this keeps up.

As a lawyer, you cannot misrepresent facts, and these same lawyers were already sanctioned for this.
Right. That can't deny that they filed documents subject to laws with wildly different valuations on them. They can't deny that Trump's absurd signature is on them. So they have to go the route of 'oh, er, this is... surely it's legal to just lie on these forms and the laws saying you can't... are... not binding? or something?'

Because there's no denying they submitted the tax forms and loan requests that they did. Or that Trump is the one liable because he signed them. There's too many to argue that you just accidentally added or subtracted zeros in line with whether it was paying taxes or getting loans.

And that's without getting into the square footage hilarity.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
Right. That can't deny that they filed documents subject to laws with wildly different valuations on them. They can't deny that Trump's absurd signature is on them. So they have to go the route of 'oh, er, this is... surely it's legal to just lie on these forms and the laws saying you can't... are... not binding? or something?'

Because there's no denying they submitted the tax forms and loan requests that they did. Or that Trump is the one liable because he signed them. There's too many to argue that you just accidentally added or subtracted zeros in line with whether it was paying taxes or getting loans.

And that's without getting into the square footage hilarity.
If I recall, this same judge is the guy who was slamming his fist on the table saying something along the lines of "You cannot lie on financial documents." Like it's not something to be debated. By signing the document, you are asserting that the information is accurate. The form likely even says this.

I mean, they didn't even try to go with the defense that "oh it jumped in value during this time period but then something happened to lower the value" because the discrepancies were just that ridiculous.