Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Michael Cohen taking the stand Tuesday. You think Trump will show up?

www.msnbc.com

Michael Cohen to testify at Trump’s fraud trial this week

Attorney Michael Cohen will take the stand against his onetime boss when the Trump Organization’s fraud trial resumes Tuesday in New York City. Former Watergate prosecutor Jill Wine-Banks shares with American Voices host Alicia Menendez why Cohen is likely to be “a very credible witness” despite...

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't been following what he's been saying about James, has he seriously been using peek-a-boo as her slur which is an obvious dog whistle to the word that starts with J?

That's overt even for him. Wow.
Apparently racists have been using that as a substitute word for awhile now but yeah he's been calling her that since this started I believe, or really close to the start of this case anyways.

TRIAL - Day 15, Mazars & Michael Cohan
OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
Oct 26, 2017
Day 15 summary

Witnesses
William Kelly (general counsel for Mazars) staunch under cross examination
Michael Cohen (ex Trump lawyer)

It turns out that Alina Habba is an effective cross examiner, Cohen rattled, Kise irritated, judge trying to keep it all controlled

Last edited:
OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
Day starts with Kise (for Trump) complaining that as 4 of the AG team got covid, by proceeding with trial today she is casting health protocol aside in her desperation to "get Trump". Judge points out he's not wearing a mask, court has masks available and we will proceed.

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
Now Alina Habba doesn't want to use a "contaminated" microphone. Court staff trying to work out an arrangement that suits team Trump.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Now Alina Habba doesn't want to use a "contaminated" microphone. Court staff trying to work out an arrangement that suits team Trump.
I've got a little medicine for that
artworks-000583586552-r0vai7-t500x500.jpg

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Day starts with Kise (for Trump) complaining that as 4 of the AG team got covid, by proceeding with trial today she is casting health protocol aside in her desperation to "get Trump". Judge points out he's not wearing a mask, court has masks available and we will proceed.

Fucking LOL.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
He is outright doing this on purpose as he wants to dare a judge to put him in jail over "his first amendment rights (lol)" while completely deflecting from his real problems within the courtroom which he is absolutely scared of.
Trump wants nothing to do with prison. The man would react to the nicest white collar jail in the country like it was Rikers. He poops on a golden toilet.

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
First witness is up. William Kelly, general counsel for Mazars. Opening act for Cohen.

Captain_Vyse

Jun 24, 2020
He is a rich, white, straight, male who has had immense privilege his entire life.

He doesn't understand the concept of being held accountable for his actions.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Trump wants nothing to do with prison. The man would react to the nicest white collar jail in the country like it was Rikers. He poops on a golden toilet.
Oh, that is why he said "Dare", as I'm sure he thinks he can still push it off via his lawyers or some other fantasy. Truth be told though, if he was "booked", due to his Secret Service detail, they'd find some isolated, by himself holding area where he never sees another inmate.

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
Kelly has been explaining the circumstances behind Mazars withdrawal from working for the Trump Org (lack of trust in Weisselberg and his numbers) and Mazars' responses to subpoenas from all over.

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
Kelly on cross examination now by Jesus Suarez, who is an effective, but painstakingly slow examiner.

Trying to get Kelly to put all the blame on Donald Bender (the Mazars CPA for Trump Org), who we heard from on days 1-3.

Kelly is having none of it.

millsaps05

May 21, 2022
What better deal would Cohen be trying to get? Didn't he serve his sentance? Or is it a better book deal? Better podcast promotion?
He did serve his sentence, got released during COVID then the Trump admin tried to have him thrown back in jail on a technical matter when it came out he was writing a tell-all.

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
Seems to me that team Trump has made a mistake with the cross examination of Kelly.

Trying to press him on whether Bender was a competent CPA is nonsense, as Kelly is a lawyer, not an accountant. It might fly with a jury, but the judge knows this.

Contramann

Oct 27, 2017
What better deal would Cohen be trying to get? Didn't he serve his sentance? Or is it a better book deal? Better podcast promotion?
I feel like every time Trump speaks to the Press about something he just jumbles together a usual set of phrases like "Better deal" or "They're crooked" or "I've never met them" and just applies it to whatever he's being forced to talk about.

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
Good little summary from Lisa Rubin of what's going on now:

Suarez is in the process of asking Kelly why Mazars allowed the statements of financial condition to state that they did not incorporate any value associated with Trump's brand when the underlying work papers clearly reflected a 30% "brand premium" for various golf courses.

Frankly, that's a decent question in the abstract. But given 1) the limited nature of the engagement; 2) the representations the company made to Mazars in its contracts & annual "rep letter;" and 3) that the valuation methods & resulting numbers came from the Trump Org. . .

the idea that Mazars is legally responsible, let alone principally at fault, falls flat. Suarez has not and cannot change how those valuations were arrived at (often with deception) and by whom (Trump org employees and/or family members, several of whom are defendants).

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
As I've suggested before, it's not that Mazars couldn't have done a better job of doing due diligence on these things. It's that they were legally not required to do so. That's what bank regulations are for. While Trump arguing Mazars should have more responsibility here is obviously in the spirit of taking heat off of him, it's honestly how things should operate, because banks being careless with handing out loans is how we got into the financial crisis 15 years ago.

Any means to paint this as a Mazars issue will need to point to a regulatory statute they failed to comply with, and there likely isn't one.

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
As I've suggested before, it's not that Mazars couldn't have done a better job of doing due diligence on these things. It's that they were legally not required to do so. That's what bank regulations are for. While Trump arguing Mazars should have more responsibility here is obviously in the spirit of taking heat off of him, it's honestly how things should operate, because banks being careless with handing out loans is how we got into the financial crisis 15 years ago.

Any means to paint this as a Mazars issue will need to point to a regulatory statute they failed to comply with, and there likely isn't one.

Exactly. And I don't think this judge will let them get away with this line of questioning.