maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
The loan ban should not be underestimated. The ban is for any bank REGISTERED in NY, not physically located, which is basically every bank.

He literally cannot borrow money for 3 years to pay for his debts. He is going to have to sell a ton of stuff because he can't keep up with payments.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
The loan ban should not be underestimated. The ban is for any bank REGISTERED in NY, not physically located, which is basically every bank.

He literally cannot borrow money for 3 years to pay for his debts. He is going to have to sell a ton of stuff because he can't keep up with payments.
Which will make it hard to pay his lawyers in the other cases.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
No, those were a separate court statement. That's just in appeal. It was always divided from this list

What's tripping me up is on page 92

"Ordered that this Court's September 26, 2023, Decision and Order is hereby modified solely to the extent of vacating the directive to cancel the defendants' business certificates, without prejudice to renewal upon the recommendation of the Independent Monitor or based on substantial evidence;"

This makes it sound like they're no longer vacated?

RetroRunner

Dec 6, 2020

A ton of stuff he doesn't own his organization does

Oct 26, 2017
3 years is definitely light. But for an 80 year-old, 3 years is more like 9 years. By the time the 3 years is up in 2027 - 2028 who knows what mental faculties Trump will have to resume running a company / acquiring loans. I would have preferred at least a 7 year ban (typical bankruptcies bans), but given Trump's age and mental decline, 3 years isn't nothing to sneeze at.

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
3 year ban is a death sentence given it affects any capacity he has to get a domestic or even foreign loan if they deal within the US via New York. He is going to be forced to sell off assets in order to pay not only his existing penalty but any other outstanding debts he has with interest.

Fnor

Nov 7, 2023
Over $300 million so far on MSNBC. Can't operate in NY for several years (incl male children).

Edit: 92-page ruling, will take time to read. However crushes the entire Trump Org.

Edit: $364 million is the total.

phisheep

Lost in all of the shuffle is the award of a considerable amount of prejudgment interest. This is an extreme remedy and a very costly one considering the timelines of the case. If the judge applies the statutory judgment interest (9%, no real reason to deviate), I have the actual total as of the date of judgment at approximately $449,562,046

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

Surely Russian banks aren't registered in NY.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
phisheep

Lost in all of the shuffle is the award of a considerable amount of prejudgment interest. This is an extreme remedy and a very costly one considering the timelines of the case. If the judge applies the statutory judgment interest (9%, no real reason to deviate), I have the actual total as of the date of judgment at approximately $449,562,046
Is it odd that the decision calls out that damages include pre-judgement interest, but doesn't call out the percent?

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
That was part of the previous summary judgement and is awaiting appeal - since that's not something that can easily be undone.
If the businesses aren't dissolved, who is left to run them? Trump and his sons can't for the next three years; ditto for Weisselberg and McConney. Are there any other officers of note who aren't implicated and explicitly banned from operating as directors per this judgment?

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna read this carefully and try and post a summary tomorrow.
Thank you again for your dedication. Whenever the big news happens in one of these cases, I'm always disappointed in the site's "new news, new thread" approach, which leads to your work being pushed out of the way by threads that don't give context or further information.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
What's tripping me up is on page 92

"Ordered that this Court's September 26, 2023, Decision and Order is hereby modified solely to the extent of vacating the directive to cancel the defendants' business certificates, without prejudice to renewal upon the recommendation of the Independent Monitor or based on substantial evidence;"

This makes it sound like they're no longer vacated?
To quote my own post, CNN is also reporting that the judge modified his directive to no longer cancel the business certificates. Unless folks find otherwise, it does sound like a softening of the original verdict, sadly.

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
This is the very definition of "rock and a hard place"

He has to put up the money immediately.
But even if he appeals.. he has to put up the money immediately.

So no matter what.. he has to find $400 million under a mattress and can not to business.

All the banks he has loans with, they WILL call the loans in. He has no way to pay them back now.

RC0101

Oct 27, 2017
This is the very definition of "rock and a hard place"

He has to put up the money immediately.
But even if he appeals.. he has to put up the money immediately.

So no matter what.. he has to find $400 million under a mattress and can not to business.

All the banks he has loans with, they WILL call the loans in. He has no way to pay them back now.
Why would every bank call his loans in? I could see NY banks putting a loan on their watch list but I don't see why they would call a loan as long as it is current.