gunbo13

Oct 26, 2017
People on this forum condemn billionaires yet don't seem to understand anything about them. Apparently they magically become giving with their hoarded money when an idiot makes a headline. The delusion is only meant to service the furtherance of doomerism. Sigh.

Ishmael

Oct 27, 2017
Trump hates him for having more "wealth" than him, has his own cult followers, and knowing he's in on the grift like he is and isn't fully loyal.
Plus, Musk would not only want Trump under his thumb, but would want the world to know that Trump owed everything to him. I can't imagine Trump ever letting anyone publicly own him for the rest of his life.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Literally any billionaire helping Trump out is a gift to democrats because ads saying that trump is owned by musk or whoever would play nonstop

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Plus having to be bailed out is a huge blow to his "brand" as a multi-billionaire.
Correct! That's not even considering the fact that billionaires never just give away huge portions of their dragon hoard—it's anathema to them, especially when they can't take a 0% interest loan to pay for it and actually have to fork over cash

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
I heard on TV this morning that the appeals process in this case could take literal years. Is that true? Would that mean he doesn't have to actually pay up until the appeal is settled?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I heard on TV this morning that the appeals process in this case could take literal years. Is that true? Would that mean he doesn't have to actually pay up until the appeal is settled?
Nope has to pay in full to state escrow to appeal. And he's likely cash poor enough he couldn't, and it's not like he can take a loan anymore(he's literally blocked from doing it from any major institution). He has a month.

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
Oct 26, 2017

He has to front up cash or bond even to appeal. And appealing does NOT stop the interest accruing.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
He has to pay (or get a loan/bond to cover it) in order to appeal.
Would be next to impossible for him to get a loan due to the judgement
He has to front up cash or bond even to appeal. And appealing does NOT stop the interest accruing.
Actually, aren't a ton of bail bond companies on the list of companies he's banned from loaning money from? Would it even be possible for him to get another one at this point? Any big enough to foot nearly 500 mil has to be based in NY or registered to do business in it? In fact in order for a bail bond company to be eligible to issue one for the NY court wouldn't they have to be licensed in NY?

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Why would Putin even pay this man child's fines? All he cares about is Trump dividing us. Trump does that regardless of what happens to him. Even him dying would just divide us more.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
What if Elon decided to pay it for him, out of y'know, "fairness" or whatever
Elon isn't liquid enough and is too greedy to do so, not to mention Trump would be literally owned by him so it would be super easy to say that trump is the Elon musk Trojan horse candidate at that point, it would be very bad for him

Oct 26, 2017
Literally any billionaire helping Trump out is a gift to democrats because ads saying that trump is owned by musk or whoever would play nonstop

Billionaires aren't in the habit of just giving away money. That's why they're billionaires. Whoever would think of giving him that much money would be expecting a significant return either in money or massive influence.

Trump hasn't had a successful legit business venture in ages. Most of his recent liquid profits come from modest branding deals and grifting his cult members. His Truth Social blog was his first conventual business venture in years and it's been on the verge of collapse since its inception. So no billionaire is going to expect to get their money back from Trump actually starting a new business venture.

So that leaves influence. It's probably Trump's only card he can play, but he has numerous criminal trials hanging over him like a series of grand pianos. If one doesn't get him, probably the next two will. And Trump is hardly a favorite to win the 2024 election. At best he has a 50/50 chance. At worst, his chances collapses if he has a criminal conviction before election day. That's such a high risk gamble, I don't see any billionaire just floating Trump 500M just to see what happens.

Sure maybe a Saudi or Russian oligarch might be bold enough to do that, but Russian money has pretty much be frozen since the war and the Saudis still have an interest in "normalizing" their image to the West. Bailing out Trump would make them toxic to over half the US and most of our European allies who don't want Trump anywhere near the power levers of NATO again.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Nope has to pay in full to state escrow to appeal. And he's likely cash poor enough he couldn't, and it's not like he can take a loan anymore(he's literally blocked from doing it from any major institution). He has a month.

He has to pay (or get a loan/bond to cover it) in order to appeal.

If it takes years he'll owe insane amounts in interest, it's not beneficial to him to do that
Okay, good. Was worried for a moment there that he'd be able to do what he always does and delay, delay, delay.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Billionaires aren't in the habit of just giving away money. That's why they're billionaires. Whoever would think of giving him that much money would be expecting a significant return either in money or massive influence.

Trump hasn't had a successful legit business venture in ages. Most of his recent liquid profits come from modest branding deals and grifting his cult members. His Truth Social blog was his first conventual business venture in years and it's been on the verge of collapse since its inception. So no billionaire is going to expect to get their money back from Trump actually starting a new business venture.

So that leaves influence. It's probably Trump's only card he can play, but he has numerous criminal trials hanging over him like a series of grand pianos. If one doesn't get him, probably the next two will. And Trump is hardly a favorite to win the 2024 election. At best he has a 50/50 chance. At worst, his chances collapses if he has a criminal conviction before election day. That's such a high risk gamble, I don't see any billionaire just floating Trump 500M just to see what happens.

Sure maybe a Saudi or Russian oligarch might be bold enough to do that, but Russian money has pretty much be frozen since the war and the Saudis still have an interest in "normalizing" their image to the West. Bailing out Trump would make them toxic to over half the US and most of our European allies who don't want Trump anywhere near the power levers of NATO again.
On top of all this, any billionaire bailing Trump out would be doing so explicitly so they could get beneficial treatment, but they'd be expecting that from someone who has spent the entirety of the past 8 years demonstrating that he cannot be controlled or expected to do anything except what he wants. Who tries to buy someone who is utterly unpredictable and unreliable? It's a terrible investment even if it wasn't highly scrutinized let alone when it's being watched like a hawk by multiple government entities. There is zero upside for anyone who has the ability to get Trump out of this. It will not happen.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would love to be a fly on the wall at Mar-a-Lago this weekend as they try to figure out a way out of this mess.

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
Actually, aren't a ton of bail bond companies on the list of companies he's banned from loaning money from? Would it even be possible for him to get another one at this point? Any big enough to foot nearly 500 mil has to be based in NY or registered to do business in it? In fact in order for a bail bond company to be eligible to issue one for the NY court wouldn't they have to be licensed in NY?

Now that is a damn good point!

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I dunno. Billionaires leave their fortunes to their pets when they die. Some may love Trump more than their pets.
Yeah but giving it to Trump requires them to bend the knee.

And those assholes think they are better then others including him. They would rather give it to their pets than have to go "I support Donald Trump to the point where I have him have my net worth."

Mr Paptimus

Oct 26, 2017
Billionaires might not be funding him, but it wouldn't surprise me if they helped delay things and fend off the wolves until after the election in case he wins, hoping to have a US president fully in their pocket.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
What exactly happens if he just doesn't pay it? Seems the twitterbros have just moved on to "LOL HE WILL NEVER PAY IT. NO RICH PERSON EVER PAYS THESE"

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
What exactly happens if he just doesn't pay it? Seems the twitterbros have just moved on to "LOL HE WILL NEVER PAY IT. NO RICH PERSON EVER PAYS THESE"
They already have full control of all his New York businesses and assets. If those don't cover the fines they'll start seizing his other assets and sell them to make the difference. They can also take it out of his income.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
They already have full control of all his New York businesses and assets. If those don't cover the fines they'll start seizing his other assets and sell them to make the difference. They can also take it out of his income.
He'll have to sell some stuff to get 300 something mill in cash anyway. No way does he have that kind of money lying around, and to raise that amount of money from real estate, you are looking at some gigantic assets. Trump can lie about the evaluation of his real estate assets all day, but the market isn't willing to pay those fantasy prices.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
He'll have to sell some stuff to get 300 something mill in cash anyway. No way does he have that kind of money lying around, and to raise that amount of money from real estate, you are looking at some gigantic assets. Trump can lie about the evaluation of his real estate assets all day, but the market isn't willing to pay those fantasy prices.
There's also no chance he can get it together in the month he's need to make appeal. It's a ton when you add the interest already accrued.

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017

They don't quite have full control yet. That'll take a couple of months. Got a monitor in the meantime, but there's not much she can actually do yet.

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
Lots of what he can't do, so exactly how does he pull together half a billion dollars in 30 days?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Won't they just give him time to sell some properties? They want the money after all.

He had over $300 million cash a couple years ago after the DC hotel sale.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
They don't quite have full control yet. That'll take a couple of months. Got a monitor in the meantime, but there's not much she can actually do yet.
True but I'd imagine there isn't much he could pull from that stone that wouldn't get him in deeper water. Plus I doubt those businesses have the liquid assets he could use to cover the fine. I was just referring to consequences if he tries to avoid the fine.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Won't they just give him time to sell some properties? They want the money after all.

He had over $300 million cash a couple years ago after the DC hotel sale.

The time crunch is for the appeal, not for him to pay. He'll have time to get money together but likely not in time for the appeal.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
So if he can't get the money in time, does he just automatically lose the ability to appeal and the state starts seizing and selling his assets?

Fnor

Nov 7, 2023
The judgment gives the monitor really vague (broad) powers to petition the court for anything they think is important. While there isn't a receiver yet, getting temporary restraining orders when the judge put you there specifically to raise alarms seems like an extremely powerful and expedient control.

Gashprex

Oct 25, 2017
I think people are underestimating how difficult it can be to actually collect on any assets outside the state of New York. His New York stuff is probably gone but I have no concept of its value.

The state clearly has more power to collect than your average creditor but there is still a process.

I could see a scenario where he refuses to pay and moves his wealth to Florida whereby he would collaterally attack the judgment in New York with some friendly FL judge similar to Eileen Cannon, setting up some state v state litigation.

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
I think people are underestimating how difficult it can be to actually collect on any assets outside the state of New York. His New York stuff is probably gone but I have no concept of its value.

The state clearly has more power to collect than your average creditor but there is still a process.

I could see a scenario where he refuses to pay and moves his wealth to Florida whereby he would collaterally attack the judgment in New York with some friendly FL judge similar to Eileen Cannon, setting up some state v state litigation.
He has tried to move his money to Florida but can't. And a lot of his properties (most? all?) in other states and countries are owned by NY companies.

Javaman

Oct 31, 2017
Lots of what he can't do, so exactly how does he pull together half a billion dollars in 30 days?
Partial cash, and building up as collateral from what I've read. Though, I'm sure it'll probably only count for his ownership share of them. I'm a little disappointed if this is true and was hoping he had to front the cash itself.

BradyTheGOAT

Banned
Aug 25, 2023

This…this is not how banking works.