plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I've already made peace with the fact that we have to beat Trump in November to put him behind bars for his crimes. It sucks, and the documents case was all set up to conclude before election with anyone other than Cannon, but it is what it is.

jvm

Oct 27, 2017
Things I wish for that won't happen:

If SCOTUS outright, and quickly, denies Trump's application for a stay and the mandate returns to the District Court on 13 Feb, I would love to see Judge Chutkan announce this in a brief four-word docket entry: "See you next Tuesday".
That would be exquisite. 😉

Thalanil

Fallen Guardian
Aug 24, 2023
Sentencing is probably about three months behind the verdict. So will probably not be before the election unless trial starts early May - which I think is a bit of a stretch.

Thanks, well even without sentencing as soon as he gets convicted he and his campaign are gonna get swamped by attack ads about him being a convicted criminal and a fraudster that tried to steal an election. Still would have been fun to see him forced to dodge debates because he is in jail.

Ultryx

Oct 27, 2017
United States
If the SC doesn't give a response and the trial starts late enough this could run right up to the election. In which case, what happens if Trump wins the presidency and is then convicted prior to the inauguration? MAGA comes for nationwide bloodshed. I'm starting to get concerned about what the end goal is.

I really hope the SC shuts this down ASAP.

Oct 25, 2017
If the SC doesn't give a response and the trial starts late enough this could run right up to the election. In which case, what happens if Trump wins the presidency and is then convicted prior to the inauguration? MAGA comes for nationwide bloodshed. I'm starting to get concerned about what the end goal is.

I really hope the SC shuts this down ASAP.
Trial goes ahead, SC can only stop it. Delays are done with.

Oct 27, 2017
Things I wish for that won't happen:

If SCOTUS outright, and quickly, denies Trump's application for a stay and the mandate returns to the District Court on 13 Feb, I would love to see Judge Chutkan announce this in a brief four-word docket entry: "See you next Tuesday".
Now that's a tweet just itching to go viral lol

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

1sDXCE1.png

RTA2Ktc.png

MiYsgMV.png

holpNDC.png

fcaAgrz.png

g1D2nna.png

t5RHOj6.png

xVMd0sS.png

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Let's see what the SCOTUS does. It would be pretty embarrassing to take it up after turning down the expedited appeal last year. But if their intention is to assist in Trump's delay process, then…

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
The lawyers on MSNBC right now more or less saying it would be insanely ridiculous for the SC to even take this up. That's how ludicrously absurd Trump's claims are in this stay request.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the court just needs to deny this. He keeps using them like a crutch for all these lawsuits. Like just shut him down so he can't drag this out. Robert's wants the court to seem as fair and non political as possible (lol) so just tell him no, you can't use us that way.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
predictable, this was the last day to appeal, but still anxiety inducing because everything about TFG, and the current SCOTUS

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine the SC will take it up, and Trump's MAGA base will cry foul that the SC he got installed isn't helping him.

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017
There's no way the Supreme Court takes up the immunity case. The DC verdict was pretty strong on its reasoning. Just hope they don't take their sweet time on it as this seems like the only criminal case that's further along than the others.

Culex

Oct 29, 2017
It takes 5 justices to stay this, so that is probably not happening. The only scenario is to punt it, or to review and take the case, which by itself wouldn't be enough to stop Chutknin.

Only downside with that scenario is that we would be left waiting for a decision either way.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
Denied w/o an opinion within 2 weeks.
This.

If SCOTUS takes up the case and rules that Trump is immune from prosecution, Biden could immediately order DOJ to arrest Trump and deport him to Russia, fire all of the AUAs not loyal to him, etc. and Biden wouldn't be subject to any criminal prosecution. That's just the tip of the iceberg. There's no way SCOTUS even looks at this case.

Now, ask me what they do under a Trump presidency.

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
Oct 26, 2017
Trump's petition is here. The SCOTUS docket for it is here.

It's a big ramble and a big gamble and I can't see SCOTUS taking it or, if they do, only to affirm the DC judgment and quite quickly at that. They may be mindful of the fact that there is potentially another immunity appeal to come from Florida.

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
SCOTUS has asked that the government respond to Trump's petition by 20 Feb at 4pm. They did this less than a day after the petition, they are not hanging around.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
SCOTUS has asked that the government respond to Trump's petition by 20 Feb at 4pm. They did this less than a day after the petition, they are not hanging around.

I have a real dumb procedural question perhaps; but when they set a deadline for a response like that, and the other party immediately responds, can things immediately resume or are they essentially adjourned until the deadline date before they pickup the case again?

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
I have a real dumb procedural question perhaps; but when they set a deadline for a response like that, and the other party immediately responds, can things immediately resume or are they essentially adjourned until the deadline date before they pickup the case again?

If the response is filed early, the court can proceed immediately, it is not bound to wait until the deadline.

Captain_Vyse

Jun 24, 2020
I really dont think they will.

As others have said, the DC denial is so incredibly strong that it doesnt leave any real wiggle room for the SCOTUS to even want to waste the time on it.

The legal pros out there are all pretty much in agreeance that the court will allow him on the ballots, but deny immunity.
Yeah, the outcome would make the most sense.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
I really dont think they will.

As others have said, the DC denial is so incredibly strong that it doesnt leave any real wiggle room for the SCOTUS to even want to waste the time on it.

The legal pros out there are all pretty much in agreeance that the court will allow him on the ballots, but deny immunity.
I think the best rationale to explain why even this insanely right-wing court won't find in Trump's favor is the balance of power between the three branches of gov't. If the court finds that the president is not bound to the law of the land then that will grant the executive branch powers that the legislative and jurisdictive branches don't have (except maybe for Clarence Thomas).

They could jump through hoops to craft a decision that somehow only applies to Trump and no one else (like they did for Gore v Bush) but why bother? it would only further delegitimize a court on thin ice with the public for a man with unique legal issues even compared to the most corrupt GOP presidents that came before him.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I think the best rationale to explain why even this insanely right-wing court won't find in Trump's favor is the balance of power between the three branches of gov't. If the court finds that the president is not bound to the law of the land then that will grant the executive branch powers that the legislative and jurisdictive branches don't have (except maybe for Clarence Thomas).

They could jump through hoops to craft a decision that somehow only applies to Trump and no one else (like they did for Gore v Bush) but why bother? it would only further delegitimize a court on thin ice with the public for a man with unique legal issues even compared to the most corrupt GOP presidents that came before him.

So far they haven't shown much loyalty to Trump as much as just their general right wing rulings. I don't think they're really interested in saving him.

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017
So far they haven't shown much loyalty to Trump as much as just their general right wing rulings. I don't think they're really interested in saving him.

I think Kavanaugh must actually hate Trump with every fiber of his being for having to abase himself in public with that grotesque "I like beer!" performance to save his nomination.

But yeah, the two SCOTUS cases that had to do with saving Trump from ongoing criminal investigations (Trump v. Mazars, Trump v. Vance) were both 7-2 decisions with only Thomas and Alito dissenting.

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
And now, Judge Luttig and his pals have filed an amicus brief with SCOTUS opposing a stay. A short and punchy read.

Essentially where we are now is ...
1) Trump claimed absolute immunity for all 'official acts' and claimed what he's indicted for are official acts
2) the District court denied, saying there is no criminal presidential immunity at all
3) DC Circuit ruled that while there is no such blanket immunity, that Trump is not immune for the crimes he is charged with here

EDIT: and another amicus brief from Constitutional Law Scholars, also opposing stay.

Last edited: