• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thalanil

Fallen Guardian
Aug 24, 2023
They already asked Trump laywer about the president assassinating political rivals multiple times and he said that he is immune against that just like he argued in the lower courts but they should be even more direct and ask him if he would be fine legally with Biden drone striking Trump tomorrow and see if he bites that rhetorical bullet as well or if he waffles even more. I want to see him argue directly that Biden killing Trump is actually legal and cool just for the sheer hilarity of it.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
If Alito and Thomas knew they'd get the majority, they'd vote for Trump to be godking 100%.

They'd also know that Democrats wouldn't do this but their side would.

Thalanil

Fallen Guardian
Aug 24, 2023
Trump Laywer just argued that military coups by a President trying to stay in office may actually be official acts and so the president is immune there as well. LMAO.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1783506293065417046
In response to questions from Justice Barrett, Trump lawyer John Sauer agreed the following where private acts:

• Petitioner turned to a private attorney who was willing to spread knowingly false claims of election fraud to spearhead his challenges to the election results.

• Petitioner conspired with another private attorney who caused the filing in court of a verification signed by Petitioner that contain false allegations to support a challenge.

• Three private actors, two attorneys, including those mentioned above, and a political consultants helped implement a plan to submit fraudulent fleets of presidential electors to obstruct the certification proceeding.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
This dipshit Trump lawyer keeps continuously asserting that Trump calling and corruptly pressuring election officials to "find votes' is an official act. It's laughable. But would I be shocked if at least 2-3 of the MAGA justices agreed? Nope.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
It sounds like the argument being made really is "if the president does it, it's not illegal." Literal dictatorship shit.

Biden better be on that shit immediately if the Court rules in favor of blanket immunity. Just have Trump and the entire Freedom Caucus assassinated for the good of the country. Perfectly legal, no problems here!

I am joking of course.
I think.

Fnor

Nov 7, 2023
One of the major rules of appellate advocacy is that to maintain credibility and a coherent argument in response to questioning, you have to admit everything that you absolutely cannot deny. Saur is between a rock and a hard place because he has to admit a lot of crazy things but also deny a lot of crazy things for his legal theory to work. So you get admissions to Coney-Barrett about private acts that are covered by their underlying theory and denials of clearly private acts because to admit that they were private would destroy his case.

There's no way to make a non-shambolic argument from this position because it's entirely arbitrary and purely in service of a former president's current legal troubles, and the justices are on to that.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
In a sense it's kind of crazy that we were a country this long without definitive answers on this codified or adjudicated.

Thalanil

Fallen Guardian
Aug 24, 2023
Wasn't a previous argument against impeachment was that it's moot after leaving the office and should be handled in the courts at that point?

Yeah that was Trump team and Mitch McConnel excuse not to convict Trump in the Senate for Jan 6 because he was gonna be out of office soon anyway and as a result he could be prosecuted and judged by the courts.

eu.courier-journal.com

Mitch McConnell: Donald Trump still liable in court for actions surrounding Jan. 6 riot

After voting to acquit former President Donald Trump, Sen. Mitch McConnell suggested the Republican remains liable in court for his recent actions.

Funny how both Trump and congressional republicans are now arguing the opposite...

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that was Trump team and Mitch McConnel excuse not to convict Trump in the Senate for Jan 6 because he was gonna be out of office soon anyway and as a result he could be prosecuted and judged by the courts.

eu.courier-journal.com

Mitch McConnell: Donald Trump still liable in court for actions surrounding Jan. 6 riot

After voting to acquit former President Donald Trump, Sen. Mitch McConnell suggested the Republican remains liable in court for his recent actions.

Funny how both Trump and congressional republicans are now arguing the opposite...

It's not that unusual. The Senate doesn't have to come up with a legal argument for their justification and the courts aren't bound by those justifications (as long as they're not law). So round and round the dance of unaccaountability goes.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
I can fucking tell by the questions all the conservatives are asking that they're bending over backwards to punt this shit back down and delay this thing last the election. It's abundantly clear.

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
Oct 26, 2017
Chief Justice asking the good question as to whether prosecutorial good faith and grand juries are adequate protection against abuse.

What counsel should have said is that if that is a concern it is a concern for everybody, not just for a president. Presidents are not special.

Unfortunately he ducked the question.

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
B9nmfqfwRMPOAmVnT0BoIiTASyA=.gif

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Gorsuch, Alito, and Kavanaugh are contorting to insane degrees to justify ruling that what Trump did were official acts. This is nuts.

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
It sounds like the argument being made really is "if the president does it, it's not illegal." Literal dictatorship shit.

Biden better be on that shit immediately if the Court rules in favor of blanket immunity. Just have Trump and the entire Freedom Caucus assassinated for the good of the country. Perfectly legal, no problems here!

I am joking of course.
I think.

Actually, joking aside, if I'm Biden I actually make a public statement saying if the Supreme Court determines presidents have absolute immunity as long as it is construed as an official act, that he would do everything in his newfound power to prevent Trump from becoming president. That would be an official act because in his opinion, Trump is a clear threat to democracy and the country, and his main responsibility is to protect the republic.

Straight up threaten the court. Dare them to rule that way.

vrietje

Dec 4, 2018
Biden should say that he might see the judges by Trump as stolen. And the should be removed from court as an official act.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Gorsuch, Alito, and Kavanaugh are contorting to insane degrees to justify ruling that what Trump did were official acts. This is nuts.

I can't believe what I'm hearing from Alito right now. He's literally hand waving all of this away as "awww, it's not really a problem...people make mistakes".

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, joking aside, if I'm Biden I actually make a public statement saying if the Supreme Court determines presidents have absolute immunity as long as it is construed as an official act, that he would do everything in his newfound power to prevent Trump from becoming president. That would be an official act because in his opinion, Trump is a clear threat to democracy and the country, and his main responsibility is to protect the republic.

Straight up threaten the court. Dare them to rule that way.
I mean he is sworn to defend the constitution from enemies foreign and domestic. And someone who wants to overthrow the constitution and become president to violate it is a threat to the constitution..... the argument for that is a lot better than anything being presented right now.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019

View: https://twitter.com/MuellerSheWrote/status/1783511680368144699
J: so for private acts, no immunity. For official acts, there's immunity. So the line drawing problem we're having with the hypotheticals is being necessitated by that assumption. If official acts didn't get absolute immunity, we wouldn't have to worry about drawing the line. So we're assuming official acts get immunity. Why is it that POTUS would not be required to follow the law when he's performing his official act? We know POTUS has the best lawyers in the world, and when he's making a decision he can consult with them to know if its illegal. So how can we say a POTUS can just do any official act and be immune? What is it about POTUS as opposed to other people with consequential jobs - what about POTUS means he doesn't have to follow the law where other officials do? Sauer: Well Fitzgerald... J: that was civil. Private civil liability. We can see how POTUS is different. But about criminal liability, how does POTUS stand in any different position to follow the law if everyone else has to? Sauer: all the checks: public oversight, impeachment, congressional oversight... J: I'm not sure that's much of a backstop. You're worried about POTUS being chilled. I'm worried about the opposite effect. Knowing there'd be no penalty for committing crime, what would stop turning the oval office into the seat of crime in the country? If the potential for criminal liability were taken off the table, wouldn't that embolden future presidents to commit crimes? Once we say "no criminal liability", I'm worried we have a worse problem than any "chill".

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
The conservatives just fundamentally do not believe that Trump's attempted coup, pressuring of elections officials, and trying to send fake electors is bad. And worse, that they are "official acts."

Gorsuch straight up compared the attempted coup to a civil rights protest…

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
So I guess Biden could right now order Trump's assassination then and that'd be an official act.

Sotomayor or Kagan needs to ask that. I'd love to hear the answer.