• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
I probably hate trump more than you guys, but I believe he is right in this case. Cowering in fear watching a cruise missile fly over, praying that there won't be more coming at actual targets is no way to behave for a nation that once consisted of samurai with codes of honor and shit. Japan should protect it's people.

I would be pissed at my government if they allowed Russian cruise missiles to fly over my country. It is literally a weapon illegally entering your countries airspace. The Japanese should have intercepted the cruise missile.

It gives a clear message: don't fly cruise missiles over our airspace. What kind of message does allowing it give?

That's not the point.

The point is he said the racist thing he did in either an oblivious or completely self-aware way. Both are super bad.

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I probably hate trump more than you guys, but I believe he is right in this case. Cowering in fear watching a cruise missile fly over, praying that there won't be more coming at actual targets is no way to behave for a nation that once consisted of samurai with codes of honor and shit. Japan should protect it's people.

I would be pissed at my government if they allowed Russian cruise missiles to fly over my country. It is literally a weapon illegally entering your countries airspace. The Japanese should have intercepted the cruise missile.

It gives a clear message: don't fly cruise missiles over our airspace. What kind of message does allowing it give?
Japan cannot shoot down those missiles, even if they have something which is designed to do so. Systems like THAAD have a relatively poor success rate. So what if they try to shoot down a NK missile and fail? NK is then emboldened because they know Japan can't do anything to stop them.

Trumps assertion that Japan should have shot down the missiles shows a severe lack of both diplomatic capability, and knowledge of defensive capabilities. Things the leader of a nation should have 11 months into his term.

Deleted member 3345

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You want them to intercept what could possible be a nuclear warhead, when it's over their nation?

Polymath

Oct 25, 2017
UK
23130593_10155990466729407_6928357577222074173_n.jpg
JFC, is the US international image in tatters forever from this (+ everything else this idiot has done)?

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Japan cannot shoot down those missiles, even if they have something which is designed to do so. Systems like THAAD have a relatively poor success rate. So what if they try to shoot down a NK missile and fail? NK is then emboldened because they know Japan can't do anything to stop them.

I'm not familiar at all with the specifics of Japan's self-defense force and what armaments they are allowed to own without it being considered a violation of treaty and put them back into the category of having a standing army. Is an anti-missile defense system even allowed for them, or does it violate treaty agreements?

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not familiar at all with the specifics of Japan's self-defense force and what armaments they are allowed to own without it being considered a violation of treaty and put them back into the category of having a standing army. Is an anti-missile defense system even allowed for them, or does it violate treaty agreements?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aegis_Ballistic_Missile_Defense_System#Japanese_deployment

Shooting missiles down that aren't going to hit them might violate some things though.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
It's pretty bad when Osama Bin Laden probably knew more about Japanese culture than our lovely POTUS.

Taurus Silver

Big ol' Nerd
Oct 29, 2017
It's pretty bad when Osama Bin Laden probably knew more about Japanese culture than our lovely POTUS.

OBL was a brilliant dude though. He got the CIA to fund his fight against Russia.

Only thing Trump has got the CIA to do is leak all types of damaging info about him.

Edit: Just to be clear, I think OBL was horrible for all sorts of reasons, mainly 9/11, I just wanted to make the point even he was smarter than Trump.

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Japan has patriots, but desires the THAAD system and is also developing a multi-stage missile shield.
The thing with missile shields is they can theoretically be used offensively. It's part of why Russia always kicks up a stink about the US creating missile shields in Europe.

Also this.
http://www.news.com.au/technology/i...s/news-story/66b2a67ef21952e3d4af0381d74de0e0

Japan doesn't know if they can intercept the missiles. So until they know they are able to, it's best not to try because they'll possibly show holes in their defensive capabilities.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Japan doesn't know if they can intercept the missiles. So until they know they are able to, it's best not to try because they'll possibly show holes in their defensive capabilities.

Thanks for that post. Not very encouraging. So much for the inspiring, militaristic drum a la Evangelion playing as military briefings start up, while a crack team of squad and defense coordinators all chatter simultaneously on their comm channels to conduct a military engagement with mechanical precision...

Beef Stallmer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Again, you have mistaken me, I probably hate Trump more than you hate him! We are on the same side guys.

Since 1998, when North Korea launched a Taepodong-1 missile over northern Japan, the Japanese have been jointly developing a new surface-to-air interceptor known as the Patriot Advanced Capability 3 (PAC-3) with the US. So far tests have been successful, and there are planned 11 locations that the PAC-3 will be installed. A military spokesman[39] said that tests had been done on two sites, one of them a business park in central Tokyo, and Ichigaya – a site not far from the Imperial Palace. Along with the PAC-3, Japan has installed the US-developed Aegis ship-based anti-ballistic missile system, which was tested successfully on 18 December 2007. The missile was launched from a Japanese warship, in partnership with the US Missile Defense Agency and destroyed a mock target launched from the coast.
Source: Wikipedia

They could, and should have destroyed the missile.

Late Flag

alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting to think that Trump might be in a little over his head. Just a hunch.

Beef Stallmer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Trumps assertion that Japan should have shot down the missiles shows a severe lack of both diplomatic capability, and knowledge of defensive capabilities. Things the leader of a nation should have 11 months into his term.

Japan's missile defense was co-developed with the USA.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Again, you have mistaken me, I probably hate Trump more than you hate him! We are on the same side guys.

This has not been tested in a real life situation. They don't know if it will work. Not to mention that was a scud based missile, not a full fledged ICBM. Different missiles require different defense systems.

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017

PAC-3 does not work against longer range missiles like the one used. AEGIS might not either depending on whether it was an ICBM or not. The only system that is designed for the type of missile used is GMD which only the U.S has and its testing record is pretty terrible.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
As someone who has lived in Japan for several years, I can confirm it is a nation of samurai. Many of them have been trained to use their swords to cut down intercontinental missiles, so it's baffling why Abe-souridaijin-dono-sensei-chan doesn't just order them to use their secret battle techniques to do so.

From what I understand, he's concerned that the UN would step in and regulate the samurai, which would cause a lot of problems and potentially lead to another situation resembling Tom Cruise's The Last Samurai. I think these concerns are unsubstantiated.

And Trump-daitouryou-kun doesn't even know about the training the ninja and idol singers have been through. Japan is likely the most dangerous nation in the world due to their traditional warriors.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who has lived in Japan for several years, I can confirm it is a nation of samurai. Many of them have been trained to use their swords to cut down intercontinental missiles, so it's baffling why Abe-souridaijin-dono-sensei-chan doesn't just order them to use their secret battle techniques to do so.

So... are you telling me that Trump just shot himself in the foot and asking me how much I know about Japanese culture (because you're an expert)...?

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Aizo knows what's up. Missile defense responsibilities would actually fall to the Japanese Pop/Rock idols.
decdb696662d13b2087f3723db97b46a.gif

Last edited:

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Japan's missile defense was co-developed with the USA.
So? The US has the same problem. They don't actually know if the system will work in a real world situation. Most of the tests conducted with the Aegis and THAAD systems have been done against targets within the atmosphere and launched from cargo planes at relatively low speeds.

Beef Stallmer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So? The US has the same problem. They don't actually know if the system will work in a real world situation. Most of the tests conducted with the Aegis and THAAD systems have been done against targets within the atmosphere and launched from cargo planes at relatively low speeds.
Cool, didn't know that, thanks.
That sucks for South Korea then. I guess I will have to wait a really long time for my oled iPhone X if Samsung land /South Korea gets nuked :-( Not to mention it's not nice for all the people that live there, or their grandchildren..

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
JFC, is the US international image in tatters forever from this (+ everything else this idiot has done)?

As a European here's my view on it.

I'll probably start to "believe" in America again in around 16 years, if these criteria are met:
  • Donald Trump doesn't get a second term
  • A good Democrat president is elected, gets 2 terms.
  • Then America elects another Democrat for president, who gets 2 terms as well
  • If Republicans nominate crackpot crazy people as their presidential candidates in the future, the Democratic candidates need to win convincingly
  • Republicans lose control of both the senate and house during the next 3 years, and doesn't manage to come close to controlling both of them again

I think the first two are pretty expected at this point. The last threethough, that's where America will start to earn back some street cred around the world I think

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
As a European here's my view on it.

I'll probably start to "believe" in America again in around 16 years, if these criteria are met:
  • Donald Trump doesn't get a second term
  • A good Democrat president is elected, gets 2 terms.
  • Then America elects another Democrat for president, who gets 2 terms as well
  • If Republicans nominate crackpot crazy people as their presidential candidates in the future, the Democratic candidates need to win convincingly
  • Republicans lose control of both the senate and house during the next 3 years, and doesn't manage to come close to controlling both of them again

I think the first two are pretty expected at this point. The last threethough, that's where America will start to earn back some street cred around the world I think
The Democrats only got one term after Nixon. I'm not optimistic.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Why didn't they use one of these "gun damn" robots I hear so much about? Sad!"

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Ugh, Trump better not get any ideas if he visits Odaiba.

And I saw the papers this morning, he's playing golf with Abe.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
If missiles were that easy to shoot down we would have stopped using them already

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Odds on Trump seriously asking if Japan has solved the Godzilla problem?

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017

From what I understand, he's concerned that the UN would step in and regulate the samurai, which would cause a lot of problems and potentially lead to another situation resembling Tom Cruise's The Last Samurai. I think these concerns are unsubstantiated.

And Trump-daitouryou-kun doesn't even know about the training the ninja and idol singers have been through. Japan is likely the most dangerous nation in the world due to their traditional warriors.

ROFL