• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Call me racist slurs without consequences if old.

Edit: Fuck, I misspelled the title.

Grizzo

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Whoa. That's despicable. Then again, what couldn't be described as despicable about this dude?

I'm gonna report it. But watch Twitter justify this tweet one way or another in order to keep him from getting banned.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He's been doing this for at least 9 months now, still as petty as ever

Oct 26, 2017
(And when he called her Pocahontas last year I never got why, I thought it had something to do with her personality or being a woman)

Raptor Jesus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If people would stop making a federal case about every word that comes out of this mans mouth, they'd have a better chance at achieving their goals of getting rid of him.

After a point it just becomes noise and nobody on either side listens.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
If people would stop making a federal case about every word that comes out of this mans mouth, they'd have a better chance at achieving their goals of getting rid of him.

A head of state being blatantly racist should always be talked about

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Is rigging the primaries something the FBI and Justice Dept. should be involved in? They aren't technically official elections, correct? They are an apparatus of the political parties but I'm not sure what their status is. I don't think they are the 'sacred cow' that actual elections are.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't anything new for him. Doesn't make it any better but he's been calling her that since before the election.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017

No. When the President of the United States is being blatantly racist and attacking another citizen and government official it should be acknowledge. It's not "making a federal case" out of a word. Is it being honest about this man's racism, bigotry, and sexism. Those are the intents he's expressing when he talks like this.

Yamajian

Oct 30, 2017
Twitter not banning this asshole is starting to really piss me off. If they have policies against abuse, they need to apply those policies equally across the board. I'm sure Trump brings in a ton of traffic, but that is no excuse for ignoring his abusive behavior.

Oct 27, 2017
(And when he called her Pocahontas last year I never got why, I thought it had something to do with her personality or being a woman)

He calls her that because she claims to be part Native American, at best she is something like 1/32 Native American, but the claim has not been definitively proven or disproven. In the past she claimed to be a minority in Association of American Law Schools directory, and Harvard Law School claimed her as a Native American professor as an example of a minority representation.

Clearly she is white and only has a very little amount of Native American in her, so I think her claim in the 90s to be a minority wasn't very honest. There have been accusations that she claimed to be a minority to get a leg up in her career. We have no way of knowing if she benefited from the claim at all. Anyway, after that came out it quickly turned racist as was used to attack her.

Deleted member 9986

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is rigging the primaries something the FBI and Justice Dept. should be involved in? They aren't technically official elections, correct? They are an apparatus of the political parties but I'm not sure what their status is. I don't think they are the 'sacred cow' that actual elections are.
You are correct. Donald is just, again, showing how uneducated he is when it comes to his job.

Ragnarsson

Oct 27, 2017
Lisbon, Portugal
Ladies and gentlemen, the 45th President of the United States uses racial slurs on Twitter to the surprise of... no one. Meanwhile, Twitter will keep saying he's "newsworthy" to keep his account open and the media will keep covering these incidents as if reality was a reality show.

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
He calls her that because she claims to be part Native American, at best she is something like 1/32 Native American, but the claim has not been definitively proven or disproven. In the past she claimed to be a minority in Association of American Law Schools directory, and Harvard Law School claimed her as a Native American professor as an example of a minority representation.

Clearly she is white and only has a very little amount of Native American in her, so I think her claim in the 90s to be a minority wasn't very honest. There have been accusations that she claimed to be a minority to get a leg up in her career. We have no way of knowing if she benefited from the claim at all. Anyway, after that came out it quickly turned racist as was used to attack her.

I'm 1/16th native american but don't have any roots or connections to my heritage, or associate with the culture in any significant way. Who are we to say if she does feel some identification to the culture? If she was taught and connected with her heritage, or was interested in the culture of it all? She can absolutely feel a connection and representation in my opinion, whether you think so or not.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

According to this her claim is really nothing more than a family story, which could be true or might not be, but she hasn't gained anything from it.

The best argument she's got in her defense is that, based on the public evidence so far, she doesn't appear to have used her claim of Native American ancestry to gain access to anything much more significant than a cookbook; in 1984 she contributed five recipes to the Pow Wow Chow cookbook published by the Five Civilized Tribes Museum in Muskogee, signing the items, "Elizabeth Warren -- Cherokee."

Warren, who graduated from the University of Houston in 1970 and got her law degree from Rutgers University in 1976, did not seek to take advantage of affirmative action policies during her education, according documents obtained by the Associated Press and The Boston Globe. On the application to Rutgers Law School she was asked, "Are you interested in applying for admission under the Program for Minority Group Students?'' "No," she replied.

While a teacher at the University of Texas, she listed herself as "white." But between 1986 and 1995, she listed herself as a minority in the Association of American Law Schools Directory of Faculty; the University of Pennsylvania in a 2005 "minority equity report" also listed her as one of the minority professors who had taught at its law school.

The head of the committee that brought Warren to Harvard Law School said talk of Native American ties was not a factor in recruiting her to the prestigious institution. Reported the Boston Herald in April in its first story on Warren's ancestry claim: "Harvard Law professor Charles Fried, a former U.S. Solicitor General who served under Ronald Reagan, sat on the appointing committee that recommended Warren for hire in 1995. He said he didn't recall her Native American heritage ever coming up during the hiring process.

"'It simply played no role in the appointments process. It was not mentioned and I didn't mention it to the faculty,' he said."

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

That he's so beneath the function he occupies doesn't mean he should be held to the same standard as everyone. That symmetry is fallacious in itself, he's not a regular twitter user (as exemplified by the fact he hasn't been banned).

In this case, the apathy of not "making a federal case about every word" means normalizing a discourse that should be unacceptable coming from an institution.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
He's been calling her that forever. This isn't really news.
He's still doing it.
The more he's called out for it, the better. We shouldn't just shake our heads and move on. He's the God damned president of the United States, he sets the tone for EVERYONE in this country. Calling someone a racist slur like Pocahontas is just as bad as calling Obama a ******, but I'm sure we'll see a tape of that before the end.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People care about racism against Native Americans as much as they care bout racism against Asians.

I'm sure Huckabee-Sanders will say "it's really the Dems that are racist because she said she was Native American" to dismiss the racist slur.

okay

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this has been going on forever. It's just even sadder now that he's the President of the United States.

pulga

Banned for alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Reported, and nothing will come of this. Fuck Twitter.

intheflorsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like this isn't the first time he's referred to her as that. I'm sure Twitter will take swift action. /s

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm 3/512 Chickasaw and as white as the day is long and while I rarely invoke my heritage (its personal and who are you to tell me different), I find Trumps remarks to be racist.