• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
How awesome of you BRAK... uh DOT. ;-)

Yeah, very unfortunate that HDR games looks way better on PC. That's because all of them are sending out metadata of 1000 nits right? Shame that consoles are not sending out any metadata at all!

But i agree, HDR on console can still looks good but it's bothering the hell out of me knowing my C7 CAN and SHOULD do better in HDR Game.

That's why i bought the Linker. Now i only have to wait for it to be delivered. I'll let you know my inpressions!

Hahaha! You'll love it. Trust me ;)

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Cleaning out old magazines.
Oct 2005 I believe.

0aZI2W1.jpg

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure it is. I dont know what's going on but I'm so over stressing about it I just want to move on from it. I'm on my way to Best Buy right now to just return it and be done with it

What exactly are you comparing the Vizio PQ to? Other than OLEDs and a few $3000+ models, you're not likely to get a drastic difference in performance out a TV. You should return it to Best Buy, and then order the TV again from Sam's Club for $1500 (price has been confirmed). A day or two is not really enough time to get adjusted to HDR, especially given how bright the TV is.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I can't decide between the B8 and C8. The B8 seems to be much better with image retention and the stand isn't ugly but the C8 has better HDR

Does the C8 solve all the problems of needing a HDR Linker for games?

Last edited:

Matbtz

Oct 27, 2017
Someone have a good European website for good tests on TV ?
I'm struggling to find European equivalent TV when I'm looking on US website ...

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, I can't decide between the B8 and C8. The B8 seems to be much better with image retention and the stand isn't ugly but the C8 has better HDR

They are essentially the same panel, so IR and HDR should be the same on both.

The C8 has a more advanced processor is the main difference between the two, so a bit better upscaling and maybe more responsive?

And yea, don't need the linker stuff with this years LG OLEDs.

ShadowRunner

Oct 29, 2017
Nice one man, I've updated the FAQ with the steps to turn off HDR injection, so SDR goes back to normal :)

Having been playing with PC HDR games, it just goes to show that LG are talking out of their arse, saying that "we chose the best way to display HDR games on LG OLED's" if that was the case, why does PC HDR look 10 times better? Did they choose that too then!? Two different gaming HDR approaches on one set ......

Realise that console games have zero metadata but still.

Console HDR looks good without injection, but PC is so much better, crap state of affairs really, and now I know why the PC guys on here have never complained lol.

Do you know what the metadata string is that PC games use? Would like to try it out.

Deleted member 2652

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are essentially the same panel, so IR and HDR should be the same on both.

The C8 has a more advanced processor is the main difference between the two, so a bit better upscaling and maybe more responsive?

And yea, don't need the linker stuff with this years LG OLEDs.
Hm, maybe RTINGS had panel variance then

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Do you know what the metadata string is that PC games use? Would like to try it out.

Yeah.

PC metadata.

Lum 1000 min 0.030
Maxcll 1000 maxfall 20

If I apply Gatsby to PC, it doesn't do it any favours, much better on console, and on PC from what I've tried, it looks better left alone.

Using PC meta on console is probably a half way house I'd say.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Budget wise?

The new 6 series sets that dropped this year. Assuming you live in the US, they do make some higher end QLED TVs but they aren't available here.

I guess if budget wasn't an issue. What higher end ones aren't available yet? I would like to get something in the 50 inch-ish range now but can wait until their newer models hit international waters.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What exactly are you comparing the Vizio PQ to? Other than OLEDs and a few $3000+ models, you're not likely to get a drastic difference in performance out a TV. You should return it to Best Buy, and then order the TV again from Sam's Club for $1500 (price has been confirmed). A day or two is not really enough time to get adjusted to HDR, especially given how bright the TV is.

I kept it. Again

So will Best Buy price match Sam's Club? Because if so can I just call customer service since I ordered online with my Best Buy credit card to get it matched?

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
Not yet actually. Only thing I own with it I think is IW digitally.

Does Dolby Vision look a lot different than HDR10
if you have a Netflix UHD account it is well worth checking out several of the Dolby Vision programs I recommend altered carbon for a test.

Just crank down the back light a little bit and maybe that'll do the trick no reason you can't run back light at 30 and Dolby Vision on last year's software 30 BL was what was recommended on the Vizio's

There is also a free Dolby Vision Video on VUDU I can't recall the name now it was something related to an Asian Chef

ShadowRunner

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah.

PC metadata.

Lum 1000 min 0.030
Maxcll 1000 maxfall 20

If I apply Gatsby to PC, it doesn't do it any favours, much better on console, and on PC from what I've tried, it looks better left alone.

Using PC meta on console is probably a half way house I'd say.

Do you have the actual hex string to hand? I would be interested in trying it just because there must have been some reason for that metadata to be settled on as the default. Also certainly the MaxFALL value is non typical as compared to movie metadata, wondering what effect that has if any on the tone mapping.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if you have a Netflix UHD account it is well worth checking out several of the Dolby Vision programs I recommend altered carbon for a test.

Just crank down the back light a little bit and maybe that'll do the trick no reason you can't run back light at 30 and Dolby Vision on last year's software 30 BL was what was recommended on the Vizio's

Is Chefs Table or Jessica Jones Season 2 Dolby Vision? I've watched both of those on Netflix

CrumbSnatcher

Jan 12, 2018
Not yet actually. Only thing I own with it I think is IW digitally.

Does Dolby Vision look a lot different than HDR10

Dolby Vision tone maps properly. Most films are graded on a 1000 nit OLED monitor from Sony and others on Dolby Pulsar 4K nit monitor. Most of this doesn't come close to the capabilities of the monitor it was graded on. The highest nits are usually reserved for cloud detail.

HDR10 only tone maps for lower end displays, so you get highlights that are brighter than the content was graded at. When displayed on a high end display it doesn't tone map to match the content.

Dolby Vision tone maps on lower end displays and higher end displays. So a pixel that's only 500 nits will be 500 nits, instead of the display shooting for the max and blowing out detail. Color, color volume, black level, shadow detail all will be properly mapped to the capabilities of your PQ.

Could you post your settings while HDR10 content is playing?

CrumbSnatcher

Jan 12, 2018

There is also a free Dolby Vision Video on VUDU I can't recall the name now it was something related to an Asian Chef

That backlight setting is not necessary for Benji display, that only works for 2016/2017 models that had a slight bump in mid tones along the EOTF PQ Curve while viewing DV content, 30 brought that bump down to a more accurate level to follow the curve.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Do you have the actual hex string to hand? I would be interested in trying it just because there must have been some reason for that metadata to be settled on as the default. Also certainly the MaxFALL value is non typical as compared to movie metadata, wondering what effect that has if any on the tone mapping.

Yeah, here you go:

87:01:1a:05:02:00:c2:33:c4:86:4c:1d:b8:0b:d0:84:8

0:3e:13:3d:42:40:e8:03:1e:00:e8:03:14:00

May as well put that in the FAQ too.

AMDfanTO

Nov 8, 2017
After lots of experimentation I've found the best metadata for the 2017 oled. I originally posted the Great Gatsby hex code. This new code was hand made and pushes the highest color luminance possible, clipping at about 1300nits - similar to Gatsby. Enjoy

87:01:1a:21:02:00:c2:33:c4:86:4c:1d:b8:0b:d0:84:80:3e:13:3d:42:40:00:02:00:00:00:00:00:00

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dolby Vision tone maps properly. Most films are graded on a 1000 nit OLED monitor from Sony and others on Dolby Pulsar 4K nit monitor. Most of this doesn't come close to the capabilities of the monitor it was graded on. The highest nits are usually reserved for cloud detail.

HDR10 only tone maps for lower end displays, so you get highlights that are brighter than the content was graded at. When displayed on a high end display it doesn't tone map to match the content.

Dolby Vision tone maps on lower end displays and higher end displays. So a pixel that's only 500 nits will be 500 nits, instead of the display shooting for the max and blowing out detail. Color, color volume, black level, shadow detail all will be properly mapped to the capabilities of your PQ.

Could you post your settings while HDR10 content is playing?

Ohhh that's really interesting. So maybe part of the reason certain HDR content to looks blown out when I'm using this TV is because it's not mastered correctly like Dolby Vision? So it could be shooting certain highlights all the way up to the crazy high 2400 nit Max when it's not intended to be?

The settings I use on my PQ are the exact same as Rtings recommends besides I have color at 55 instead of 50 to give just a slightly more saturated look

CrumbSnatcher

Jan 12, 2018
Is Chefs Table or Jessica Jones Season 2 Dolby Vision? I've watched both of those on Netflix

Yes, they're both in Dolby Vision. You should see Dolby Vision tag appear at the top of the screen confirming you are getting the DV stream. If not, you don't have a UHD account with Netflix.

The best season on Chefs Table is Volume 4, eye candy from beginning to end.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, they're both in Dolby Vision. You should see Dolby Vision tag appear at the top of the screen confirming you are getting the DV stream. If not, you don't have a UHD account with Netflix.

The best season on Chefs Table is Volume 4, eye candy from beginning to end.

And did you say I should have my backlight on around 30?

CrumbSnatcher

Jan 12, 2018
Ohhh that's really interesting. So maybe part of the reason certain HDR content to looks blown out when I'm using this TV is because it's not mastered correctly like Dolby Vision? So it could be shooting certain highlights all the way up to the crazy high 2400 nit Max when it's not intended to be?

The settings I use on my PQ are the exact same as Rtings recommends besides I have color at 55 instead of 50 to give just a slightly more saturated look

Are using calibrated dark?

You can try local dimming on high, that should lower peak brightness for deeper blacks.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
I kept it. Again

So will Best Buy price match Sam's Club? Because if so can I just call customer service since I ordered online with my Best Buy credit card to get it matched?

They state on their website they match warehouse pricing if the store is a local competitor.

This is from their website:

Does Best Buy match the prices of a Warehouse club?

Yes. We do match the prices of Warehouse clubs as long as the Warehouse club is a local retail competitor, has an identical immediately available product and all other price match criteria are met.

Last edited:

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
After lots of experimentation I've found the best metadata for the 2017 oled. I originally posted the Great Gatsby hex code. This new code was hand made and pushes the highest color luminance possible, clipping at about 1300nits - similar to Gatsby. Enjoy

87:01:1a:21:02:00:c2:33:c4:86:4c:1d:b8:0b:d0:84:80:3e:13:3d:42:40:00:02:00:00:00:00:00:00

What's the parameters then?

You need to do split the code, otherwise it displays incorrectly on here.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a wild couple days and I'm really sorry I've been so active in this thread. I'm going to stop posting really soon in here I promise

I apologize everyone

I'm only kidding. This is the most entertained I've been by this thread since the saga of Hawk269 and his E7/Z9D decision in which the story ended with a Q9F purchase.

ShadowRunner

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, here you go:

87:01:1a:05:02:00:c2:33:c4:86:4c:1d:b8:0b:d0:84:8

0:3e:13:3d:42:40:e8:03:1e:00:e8:03:14:00

May as well put that in the FAQ too.
Cheers will give this a go. Did you generate this yourself based on those values or is this taken from what is reported in the hdfury gui when a pc game is running?

Thanks will give that a go too, out of interest what are the max min cll fall values you used? Are you going by what looks best to the eye or do you have access to calibration equipment to help?

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm only kidding. This is the most entertained I've been by this thread since the saga of Hawk269 and his E7/Z9D decision in which the story ended with a Q9F purchase.

Lol my saga of flip flopping on whether I'm keeping the PQ certainly has been crazy. It's like every day I'm switching on keeping it or returning. I even boxed it at one point today smh

One quick question to everyone here. I have zero experience with bias lighting but I'm going to get some to help with dark room viewing of this TV. Will this suit the job or do I need something more advanced / different

https://www.amazon.com/Luminoodle-Bias-Lighting-Backlight-Strip/dp/B076X89GRW?th=1&psc=1

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017

This is the first I'm hearing of the B8 being less susceptible to burn in...have a link? I can't see why that would be true

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Lol my saga of flip flopping on whether I'm keeping the PQ certainly has been crazy. It's like every day I'm switching on keeping it or returning. I even boxed it at one point today smh

One quick question to everyone here. I have zero experience with bias lighting but I'm going to get some to help with dark room viewing of this TV. Will this suit the job or do I need something more advanced / different

https://www.amazon.com/Luminoodle-Bias-Lighting-Backlight-Strip/dp/B076X89GRW?th=1&psc=1

Unless it's labeled incorrectly in the description it says it's 6000K (color volume) and you want 6500K

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
Okay, I tested just now.

I was not able to reproduce the moment you describe as the scene goes from the tank to the end credits on AppleTV or the 4K UHD disc (which only has HDR10). When it went black, the letterbox matched the darkened screen perfectly. I'm using a monoprice certified premium HDMI cable to a Marantz SR7011 receiver with all image processing turned off.

The LG is using 'Movie Bright' for Dolby Vision which I've edited myself. I have dynamic contrast turned completely off. LMK if you want to compare another setting. It's weird it is happening specifically on that part of the movie only. The encode for the iTunes version seems good in the brief time I spent with it.

Thank you for checking.

Just to clarify, the letterbox bars matched the darkened screen with me as well. In other words, the letterbox bars weren't a different shade as the picture area. It's just that neither of them were completely black. But when the credits started, the letterbox area did reach true black. What I was doing was comparing the black bars in the credits to how they appeared in the fade to black immediate preceding it. They were a different shade of black, which shouldn't be the case since black bars shouldn't fluctuate at all. It is possible it just isn't happening on your set.

If the UHD disc is only HDR10 then I don't think you would see the problem. The raised blacks is a Dolby Vision thing.

Thanks again for checking.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
I purchased a 55 inch TCL R615 today as a secondary TV to put in one of my bedrooms in my new house. I'm surprised and shocked to say that this TV pretty much dominates my 55 inch KS8000 by most measurements. The black levels are amazing thanks to the FALD, and the KS8000 just can't compare favorably in this area. The KS8000 had me thinking the Cuphead loading screen with the hourglass actually really had that blooming intentionally. The contrast on the R615 is straight up superior to the KS8000, which I am a little shocked at due to reviews out there saying otherwise. I might need to recalibrate my KS8000.

The colors on the R615 definitely pop a little less than the KS8000, but this TV costs over half of what a KS8000 did. Still testing HDR sources but I prefer the brighter look of the R615 over the KS8000 so far. The Roku OS is much better than the Tizen OS too. Faster and has a better UI. It's so easy to fiddle with picture settings on this TV due to the quick menu you can pull up that doesn't obscure the content.

With that that said, there is definitely gray uniformity issues with the R615 and looks much worse than the KS8000 in this regard. I only notice it when I'm looking for it, but it's there.

Deleted member 2652

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I purchased a 55 inch TCL R615 today as a secondary TV to put in one of my bedrooms in my new house. I'm surprised and shocked to say that this TV pretty much dominates my 55 inch KS8000 by most measurements. The black levels are amazing thanks to the FALD, and the KS8000 just can't compare favorably in this area. The KS8000 had me thinking the Cuphead loading screen with the hourglass actually really had that blooming intentionally. The contrast on the R615 is straight up superior to the KS8000, which I am a little shocked at due to reviews out there saying otherwise. I might need to recalibrate my KS8000.

The colors on the R615 definitely pop a little less than the KS8000, but this TV costs over half of what a KS8000 did. Still testing HDR sources but I prefer the brighter look of the R615 over the KS8000 so far. The Roku OS is much better than the Tizen OS too. Faster and has a better UI. It's so easy to fiddle with picture settings on this TV due to the quick menu you can pull up that doesn't obscure the content.

With that that said, there is definitely gray uniformity issues with the R615 and looks much worse than the KS8000 in this regard. I only notice it when I'm looking for it, but it's there.
Damn. My last TV was the KS8500 and I hated the black levels, the blooming was awful. Its so weird to be considering the R617 to save a bunch of money compared to getting the B8 OLED.

I hated baby sitting my old Panasonic Plasma too, so that's my biggest concern with the B8.

AMDfanTO

Nov 8, 2017
It's 500 peak luminance, everything else is 0. Any lower luminance and the darker tonemapping kicks in.

87:01:1a:21:02:00:c2:33:c4:86:4c:1d:b8:0b:d0:
84:80:3e:13:3d:42:40:00:02:00:00:00:00:00:00

What's interesting is you can increase the peak luminance up until 600 nits, and it will lower the color luminance slightly before it triggers the default 1000 nit peak luminance tonemapping.

Basically the 2017 lg oleds have 4 main tonemapping curves, 500-600 nits, 1000 nits, 4000 nits and finally 10000 nits. As the peak nit value increases the display will greatly reduce color luminance and slightly decrease greyscale luminance.

Color and greyscale are tonemapping disproportionately. Thus, the more the image is tonemapped the less accurate the color luminance is, pushing you further away from reference source.

This disproportionate tonemapping also affects dolby vision. This helps preserve the displays color volume at high luminance, but can make colors muddy and very saturated looking.

Last edited: